Ardent Speaker Camp

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

As long as the caps are of high quality, it's not an issue.
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• dmalphur
      • Jun 2007

I think Jon just called Tony Gee's crossovers simplistic...

He may be the only person that can get away with that comment! :lol:

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by lbstyling
        hello jon,
        ive been reading and reading.......and reading, and im very impressed to say the least!
        i have been seaching for another design to build for years now and i have to say that im interested.
        the problem is that im advised by many that its important to have as few components in the signal path as i can get away with. there are lots and lots of them in this design- i know there is little theory to support the sq loss of doing this - but still im uneasy with the idea of all those caps on the signal path.
        i have tried to get to the bottom of this idea but i just cant. -its suported by the fact that many of the speakers i have realy been impressed by were 1st order, with the aim of as few components as possible.-can anyone offer some enlightenment on this?
        im kinda between tony gee's soup sandwich and this atm.

ps- just awsome cabinet work!

I understand your concerns here- let's look at what's really happening.

First, on the tweeter, there is one cap in the signal path. The only way to get rid of that cap is if you have a very high sensitivity tweeter in proportion to the design, and you use an inductor in shunt instead, with a series resistor at the input. That cap is fairly critical for quality, and must avoid internal electro-striction resonances at all cost- that's why I'm using a Clarity MR. It's the cheapest cap I can find that meets the performance target. Upgrades are possible, of course, if you have deep enough pockets for Duelund Cast caps, for example.

Using the resistor/inductor on the input only gives you a first order roll off, though- which is a problem. I built 1st order designs that were transient perfect on axis in the 70's, but the thing folks don't take into account about first order networks is that they operate with some phase quadrature, so the peak summing is no on axis but in an off axis lobe. Kind of messes up the power response. I like the Duelund crossover because of it's mathematical elegance and because if implemented correctly, all drivers are in the same relative phase at any frequency. No phase quadrature through the transition region. In fact, pretty much the entire speaker bandpass is the transition region!

Looking at the midrange, there are just two reactive components in the direct signal path- an inductor and a capacitor. You'd have the same for a first order. THe forward Caps are Clarity ESA, the "Budget" high end caps addressing electro-striction and other manufacturing parameters around sound quality. The series inductor is a low DCR type which has no measurable skin effect below 20 kHz.

The LF shunt LCR is in a range where capacitor colorations won't impact the sound significantly, and operates to make sure the midrange is rolling off properly. The upper shunt LCR, shaping the midrange response around 2 kHz, is more critical, and uses a Clarity ESA cap also. The ESA is my favorite bang for the buck cap- not cheap, but certainly deserving of the brand name "Clarity". :W

On the bottom end, it's not caps that are the worry in the crossover, but inductors- here I'm using a very low DCR construction main inductor, to promote good control of the woofers and minimum insertion loss, and an LF zobel to control interaction of the driver impedance with the network. The acid test in my mind is a number of recordings with standup bass; does it have slap and punch, but without bloat? Is the harmonic structure of the instrument intact, to where you can practically hear the wood? That's part of why I'd been listening to Acoustic Extravaganza by KT Tunstall (all the bass work is acoustic), as well as some Jacque Loussier recordings.

Cut number 11, a live recording of Bach: Partita in B-flat Major, of this album is particularly visceral- on both bass and piano. They don't normally do "live" cuts, and haven't done a live album, but this one is quite worthwhile- makes me which they did do them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51KNxaHOBqL._SS500_.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	936634

Yes, that's 50th anniversary of the Jacque Loussier Trio- but it's his second set of sidemen, he wore the first set out. Jacque was born in 1934, his most recent recording released in 2006. I have about a dozen or so, including several SACDs.

One thing I'm pretty convinced of is the resolution from the midrange through presence range and top end this system has been delivered as desired. If I knew what I know now back this time last year, the only thing I'd do different would be to go for a gutsier higher output bottom end- but since these are going in my master bedroom when finished, it would be kind of overkill. But the same system concept, but say, with dual 8" Scanspeak 22W on each side, would be pretty killer for a main room sysetm. (and about $1,000 more expensive to build- where do you draw the line?)
        Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:38 Monday. Reason: Update image location
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2004

Very nice x-over, it is also my experience that good transfer curves are more important, i.e., brings more sound quality rather than sound degradation due to the extra components

Also if you are on a budget then you can better buy some mass produced speaker, in my view DIY allows you to do things properly rather than let the account rule the design.

Tony Gee tries to fix his x-over with expensive caps. In my view you have to start with a good x-over, then good coils/ caps will pay off even more.

If you want low DCR coils which also can take some power, I can recommend the Mundorf I or E core coils. Especially the 2mm wire ones are really heavy, and you immediately hear the difference in bass control.

Name:	trafo_feron.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	936635
          Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:39 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• lbstyling
            • Oct 2008

Jon, I cant thank you enough for the time you have taken on that answer. :T realy appreciated.

can you provide the basic perameters for me? max spl before say 1% distortion and absolute max, over all efficiency etc?

i think i would try the basic version without L10, C14, and R10, as i have a class t amp with a great load tolerance. (must say im blown away with the higher power tripath amps, whipped my parasound halo in every way! 8O )- nice saving there!

and outboard crossovers me thinks.

i for one would be in favor of the dampened baffle area around the tweeter- the neat acoustics speakers use this around the focal t120, and having been to a demo of a before and after, there was a notisable clarity added to the trebble with it.- gotta reduce all the reflections we can- lord knows ive got no chance in my room once the sounds out in the open!!

tacod- a big coil is great, but im not sure about a iron core one, i was under the impression they wander in value under load/temp??

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

To some of your questions,

Originally posted by lbstyling
              Jon, I cant thank you enough for the time you have taken on that answer. :T realy appreciated.

can you provide the basic perameters for me? max spl before say 1% distortion and absolute max, over all efficiency etc?

i think i would try the basic version without L10, C14, and R10, as i have a class t amp with a great load tolerance. (must say im blown away with the higher power tripath amps, whipped my parasound halo in every way! 8O )- nice saving there!

and outboard crossovers me thinks.

i for one would be in favor of the dampened baffle area around the tweeter- the neat acoustics speakers use this around the focal t120, and having been to a demo of a before and after, there was a notisable clarity added to the trebble with it.- gotta reduce all the reflections we can- lord knows ive got no chance in my room once the sounds out in the open!!

tacod- a big coil is great, but im not sure about a iron core one, i was under the impression they wander in value under load/temp??
              ā€‹

Max SPL before "X%" distortion is rather frequency dependent, due to the nature of the drivers. The plot for 90 dB sweep distortion gives some reasonable guide:

Keep in mind my target for this was just a speaker that's comfortable with ~100 dB peaks. I'd measured quite a few 7's for HD before selecting the ER18RNX; they were the lowest distortion, and tend to be the limiting factor for the system. Dual SS 22W8867 would change that... note the distortion I measured for 26W in the upperbass/lower mid:

For correlation, -40 dB is 1% distortion, -60 dB is 0.1%.

Sensitivity is basically set by the parameters of the Seas ER18RNX- plus crossover insertion loss. The ER18RNX is ~88 dB/2.83 VRMS on an infinite baffle; parallel them, that puts you up around 94, put in full baffle step and a dB or so crossover insertion loss, and you're back down around 87 dB/2.83 VRMS for the system.

With cored inductors, it's all dependent on the design. A laminated steel inductor such as the Mundorfs can work well and handle fairly high power if the core is sized adequately. Solid steel laminations tend to have more eddy current losses, but for a woofer that's rarely a problem.

The large LF inductor (Jantzen C-Core) used in the Ardent is a powdered core toroid which has pretty low distortion and very good permeability stability up to about 400W. 400W will toast the ER18RNX pretty thoroughly, so I think that's sufficient. The toroid also has low flux leakage, so there's minimal interaction with other inductors. One company using laminated steel inductors (Erse) notes in their online material that their inductor has lower distortion at 500W or so than the Jantzen; they don't promote that the Jantzen has lower distortion at lower output levels (a factor of that eddy current issue).
              Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 10:48 Monday. Reason: Update quote and image location
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2004

The measured performance of the Mundorf is very good, I also used the jantzen (with duelund label) and these are also very nice. But I prefer the larger Mundorf for bass duty.

Comment

• augerpro
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2006

Jon disregarding insertion loss for a moment, would you still use the C core over 14g air core if the woofer was running higher, say as in a typical two way design?
                  ~Brandon 8O
                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                  DriverVault
                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Well, even in a typical two way, because of BSC, you may wind up using a 3 mH or so- like in my little Modula MT XE. I used a Jantzen C-Core in it for the same reasons- damping and insertion loss. Makes more of a difference with a four ohm load to have 0.4 or 0.5 ohm DCR than for an 8 ohm. Obviously, there are cost performance trade offs, but the 3.3 mH air core is about 0.6 ohms, while the C-Core is 0.07 ohms.

There might be times when for reasons of tuning the Qts differently, you'd want the extra series resistance. Other than that, and cost, there's no reason to use the higher DC parts I can think of.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• augerpro
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2006

Interesting I may try the C core for my high effeciency speakers. The can handle much higher power (not that I'd really need it) than a single 6" woofer, do you think that would cause problems, again in comparison to an air core? I guess I'm not totatlly clear on the pros and cons of the toroid versus a good quality steel core compared to air core.
                      ~Brandon 8O
                      DriverVault
                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

With solid core inductors or transformers, it's all in the implementation. That means the core design, the permeability, the B-H slope, and where the permeability will start getting nonlinear as you reach the limit for that material. The C-Core appears to be a powdered iron material of some kind with an insulating binder; that means it's a distributed gap type of material, and distortion on those inductors is pretty low in the first 300W, still pretty usable up to 500W+. An air core will be more linear, true, but you should see the size of some AWG12 air core inductors I had wound at North Creek! Ginormous!!

Some core materials deservedly have a bad rep- like the bobbin ferrites, as used by many manufacturers, which have moderately high permeability (a high AL product) but won't sustain very high flux, and when they go into saturation, it all goes to hell in a handbag in a hurry. So, for example, stay away from the Jantzen P-Core except for low power applications. I've used transformer steel as well as low permeability powdered toroids in making inductors since the early nineties, but my coil winding machine is at Tom's, and I'm getting lazy- easier to buy now. For your high efficiency speakers, I'd still consider using the C-Core for a passive crossover, if you have inductances in the 2mH range or above.
                        Last edited by JonMarsh; 27 March 2010, 18:57 Saturday.
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• augerpro
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2006

Thanks Jon!
                          ~Brandon 8O
                          DriverVault
                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• lbstyling
                            • Oct 2008

thankyou jon, awsome answer...as always.

you should release a book- kinda a- 'Loudspeaker Design Cookbook -Level 2'- i dont care what it costs, i would buy it- and im sure many others would too.

when i asked about the spl at 1% ect, im trying to get a feel for how well it would take transients as a L+R in my surround setup. My current TJL3W'S are very low destortion (seas excel), but are too limited for my suround use in terms of max output and distortion at these kinda levels, as well as what seams to my ears as dynamic compression aproaching these levels (effect seams audiable at ref -15 and above, with lpf set at 100hz)
                            it seams more noticeable as the distortion at lower levels is so low, theres a bigger contrast in sound between spl levels.

if the limiting factor in spl is more the bottom end, this is a positive factor for my situation.

thanks all for the low down on the coils- ill pop that in the memory banks. appreciated. :T

just stunned at those distortion graphs!!!! :E

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

I hear where you're coming from- when you have drivers like Excels or the Scanspeaks, or other good low distortion parts (a lot more available these days at moderate prices than was the case five to 7 years ago), then when things do finally take on an edge or develop some grunge, the contrast is quite noticeable- like listening to really good headphones but then running out of gas on the headphone amp.

Of course, unless you're in a really big room, that might be pause for thought that the SPL's are getting a skosh carried away.... there's a lot of difference between peak transients on well recorded music, and things like "Santana Supernatural" where everything is just plain loud (mastered for radio, obviously).

Well, as much as you like those distortion graphs, I'm working on something better- the Modula Xtreme, with dual SS 26W on each side, Accuton C173N-T6-90 on the mids, and the Scanspeak D2608/9130 waveguide loaded. Those should be interesting... because it's a "Modula" system, the restriction is that they have to be built with PE cabinets. Will be interesting to see how that works out.

Here's the head unit CAD model (mid and treble)

Initial tests show the waveguide solves a lot of issues with diffraction in the tweeter range, simplifying cabinet design. That T6-90 Accuton is VERY low distortion even at rather high SPL.

This is at 100 dB output.

Name:	C90-T5-Distortion99db.png
Views:	126
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	936547

Custom front panel from LBL for all cabinets, and a custom mount for the head unit fabricated from LBL. Using 1 cu ft PE sub cabs for each 26W SS. It's part of this weeks "Speaker Camp" work, too.
                              Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 10:48 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• lbstyling
                                • Oct 2008

ive got about 3.5-4m between me and the speakers, so i dont know if you consider this a very large room (300m3 total) but it does make speakers have a slightly distant sound to them (room issues possibly) its not drastically bad, but still noticeable.

when the wifes out i bring them forward to 2.5m and its a nice improvement. Baised on this, im fitting lots of shelves across the wall behind the seating position to help the room accoustics (hopefully!) by increasing diffraction/absorbtion. sold to the wife as a place for all her books! he he.

as long as the baffle isnt larger than 10" wide(in a classic shape) , i can likely get away with almost anything in terms of swimbo, so im interested!

the wave guide on this modula may even help the room interactions being a little more directional, so no complaints here! :T

my musical tastes are wide (isnt everyones if theyre honest?) but i have a soft spot for LARGE scale orchestral work like John Williams, where i have the average level at 85-90 db(ish) with dynamic peaks and cresendos gathering on top of this. This may be a result of my youth spent with early car subs 10 years ago involving building a system capable of 152db @ 30hz. tut tut. :roll:

looks like the modula xtreme may be a better choice for me then, i do realy want the speaker to end all, and in my room this may be it.

Comment

• lbstyling
                                  • Oct 2008

mmm- more graphs!!

ive got about 3.5-4m between me and the speakers, so i dont know if you consider this a very large room (300m3 total) but it does make speakers have a slightly distant sound to them (room issues possibly) its not drastically bad, but still noticeable.

when the wifes out i bring them forward to 2.5m and its a nice improvement. Baised on this, im fitting lots of shelves across the wall behind the seating position to help the room accoustics (hopefully!) by increasing diffraction/absorbtion. sold to the wife as a place for all her books! he he.

as long as the baffle isnt much larger than 10" wide(in a classic shape) , i can likely get away with almost anything in terms of swimbo, so im interested!

the wave guide on this modula may even help the room interactions being a little more directional, so no complaints here! :T

my musical tastes are wide (isnt everyones if theyre honest?) but i have a soft spot for LARGE scale orchestral work like John Williams, where i have the average level at 85-90 db(ish) with dynamic peaks and cresendos gathering on top of this. This may be a result of my youth spent with early car subs 10 years ago involving building a system capable of 152db @ 30hz. tut tut. :roll:

looks like the modula xtreme may be a better choice for me then, i do realy want the speaker to end all, and in my room this may be it.

thanks Jon. :T

Comment

• jweb09
                                    • Feb 2010

Jon, I have been tracking this thread for months now. Any idea when the PDF file for the design might come together??

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Before the end of April. All of the individual CAD PDF's are done, anyone that wants that just PM me, but writing a build PDF like the one for the Modula MT XE will take a bit of time- it's started, but this week I'm focussed more on making sawdust than pushing pixels- finishing up some veneering and mounting the crossovers internally.

And the Modula Xtreme project is taking stealing some CPU cycles, too.
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PewterTA
                                        • Nov 2004

:bump:

Just checking in on any new updates.
                                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                        -Dan

Comment

• ThomasW
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Jon was kidnapped mid April by his employer. There's been no work on speaker projects since that time and none anticipated in the near future

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ray Collins
                                            • Mar 2006

Thanks for the update Thomas...

Ray
                                            Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
                                            BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• JonP
                                              • Apr 2006

Well, good to hear that it's merely a case of kidnapping and nothing else. I was starting to get worried with this most un-Jonlike behavior.

I was so looking forward to finally meeting this crazy guy at the NorCAL DIY event, hearing all his new designs, especially comparing my Modula MT's to the new XE version, etc... Quite a few there were wondering where he was, thruout the day.

So, glad to hear it wasn't the Singaporean Mafia, (or German, or Rebellion for that matter) and now we just have to figure out the hostage release/rescue plans.

Comment

• Bear
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JonP
                                                Well, good to hear that it's merely a case of kidnapping and nothing else. I was starting to get worried with this most un-Jonlike behavior.
                                                Have you read through the Neo D CC thread?
                                                Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• JonP
                                                  • Apr 2006

Been a while.... Not sure what you mean, unless your talking Jon and work. I was thinking in all the 4yrs or so I've been hanging around here, I don't think he's ever gone 2 weeks (1 week?) without posting... they must have him locked in a dungeon, shielded from all net access.

Comment

• Bear
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JonP
                                                    Been a while.... Not sure what you mean, unless your talking Jon and work. I was thinking in all the 4yrs or so I've been hanging around here, I don't think he's ever gone 2 weeks (1 week?) without posting... they must have him locked in a dungeon, shielded from all net access.
                                                    The answer is in the Neo D thread. Yep, Jon had an extended forum absence right after getting the basic design finished, but before he could complete a high-end design. Something like 9 - 10 months went by with almost no Jon sightings. :E

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

You know how all those really snarky high end companies talk about new models or improved versions of existing models incorporating technology and lessons learned from their most recent flagship product or project? :twisted:

Yeah, well, coming right at you, in a few weeks. Not enough changes to be called an Ardent MkII, but still probably somewhat significant.

Besides, gotta replace that smoked Be 6640 tweeter... ouch! :E :roll:
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• silvercans
                                                        • Nov 2005

Smoked? Uh oh, I hear Be is quite rare in Evil Twin's homeworld of Tatooine, did he try to steal your Be tweeters for his experiments?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

It was carelessness on my part with crossover boards all over the floor, and two touched in circuits that the test amp didn't like, and it oscillated at rather high frequency- could barely hear it, or the undertones from it.

Ah well.... live and learn. See, learn from my mistakes, save yourself some money and time!
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Face
                                                            • Mar 2007

Do you still believe the Be version is worth the added expense?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Face
                                                              Do you still believe the Be version is worth the added expense?

I do, but that's a personal judgement for myself- I'm buying another one to replace the one I smoked. It compares pretty well with the diamond Accuton in sonics (resolution without hardness), but goes lower than the $2K Accuton. OTOH, with a little care one can use the standard 6600-00 to very good effect, as well as the D2608/9130. I think the difference in the 6620-00 with the curved "mini-waveguide" (if that's what it is) is what is doing what I personally don't like sonically.

But obviously, that's a rather subjective call, and others may disagree with my feelings about the 6620-00. Just don't pick on me about it, or I'll call out my Sith Lord friend to help... :B

Evaluating them accurately is of course subjectively is dependent on a lot of factors- it's not hard to have a system that gets most of the lower frequency stuff (say below 2 kHz) fairly right, but above that there's a host of factors besides the tweeter as you know!

I'm heading out on travel this week, but will contact you and take care of the PayPal once I get back on the weekend- hope you've got them still! Thanks for being patient.
                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                              Natalie P
                                                              M8ta
                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                              Isiris
                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                              Calliope
                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                              Modula PWB
                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Face
                                                                • Mar 2007

Thanks for the response.

Yes, they're still around somewhere.

Comment

• benthe8track
                                                                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                                  I've been playing with some more "exotic" materials like phenolic sheet, and I'm glad to find something easy to source and so nice to work with- and very stiff. It's a great "launch platform" in my opinion, and at least deserves to be used in the front panel where, IMO, the stiffest, strongest coupling of the driver to the rest of the cabinet is needed.
                                                                  McMaster-Carr has an awesome selection of exotic materials in good sizes for speaker building. I've ordered carbon fiber and a few different plastics from them but the shipping is brutal up here.

Comment

• penngray
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2007

I just read the last 10 pages to get caught up.....This is still an incredible learning experience. Thanks Jon Marsh and others who coninue to post incredible details so the rest of us continue to learn (and feel like total idiot noobs....Maybe that is just me! )

Im very interested in the 6640 discussion. Since Im looking at the expensive RAALs this is the other alternative. A waveguide with a 6640 would be a sweet design, Is that what the "Module" Design post represents?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                      • Aug 2000

The Modula Xtreme isn't that Xtreme- just using a Scanspeak D2608/9130, some of the bigger SS tweeters may work, like the 66000, but with their high 2nd order HD, I'm partial to their little brother, the 9130. Might try the 66000 some day in a waveguide anyway.

So far I've found hard dome tweeter are mor difficult to get to behave well in the 10-16 kHz area; the faceplate and grille of the 6640 might make that even more difficult.
                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                      M8ta
                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                      Isiris
                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                      Calliope
                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Face
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2007

So far I've found hard dome tweeter are mor difficult to get to behave well in the 10-16 kHz area; the faceplate and grille of the 6640 might make that even more difficult.
                                                                        You could swap face plates.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 15284

Well, that's an idea- the 66000 and 6640 have basically the same faceplate by appearances, the 6620-00 is quite a different beast. I do have a "dead" 6640 I can disassemble to look at. Wonder if I could mate the dome with a 66000 VC assembly? I mean, I'm good, but I'm not THAT good by any means! But for only $44.60, not much financial risk...

After taking apart the dead 6640, my conclusion is that it should be possible to rebuild it as a 6600, but nothing else- but that's better than chucking it out! Save it for a center channel project with my lone C79 spare?

As to the 6640 in waveguide, Well, next time I have a lot of extra moolah lying around for tweeter waveguide experiments, I'll have to give that a shot! :B :W Don't hold your breath, though!
                                                                          Last edited by JonMarsh; 23 May 2010, 17:18 Sunday.
                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                          M8ta
                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                          Isiris
                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                          Calliope
                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CBerg
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2007
                                                                            • 11

So mainly a lurker here, but seeing how bamboo seems to be coming into vogue as a "launch platform" thought I would post this link in that it seems like it would be a superior baffle. I have seen this material in person, it is quite nice.

Not cheap, not crazy expensive either.

Lucky to live in the pacific northwest, bunch of hardwood type distributors/stores so easy access to appleply and a host of other interesting woods and woodproducts.

Regards,

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 15284

Nice link, thanks!
                                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                                              Natalie P
                                                                              M8ta
                                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                                              Isiris
                                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                                              Calliope
                                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                                              Modula PWB
                                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15284

Not so low budget speaker porn

Got lots to do this weekend, but will be pushing out the speaker work in spite of parts needed and received.

Name:	photoClarityArdent.jpg
Views:	3202
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	854869

Instead, it's time to take care of the mod for ThomasW's Pioneer player, turn it into an SACD to LPCM over S/PDIF machine like mine.

Even bought some new 14" focal length magnifying visors...

Name:	514Vr-2fT3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	936548

Gonna look like some little Swiss watchmaker, I suppose! At least I'll be able to see better than last time. My clarity is just fine, the parts are just too small.
                                                                                Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 10:49 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bear
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2008
                                                                                  • 1038

Well, that's an idea- the 66000 and 6640 have basically the same faceplate by appearances, the 6620-00 is quite a different beast. I do have a "dead" 6640 I can disassemble to look at. Wonder if I could mate the dome with a 66000 VC assembly? I mean, I'm good, but I'm not THAT good by any means! But for only $44.60, not much financial risk...

After taking apart the dead 6640, my conclusion is that it should be possible to rebuild it as a 6600, but nothing else- but that's better than chucking it out! Save it for a center channel project with my lone C79 spare?

As to the 6640 in waveguide, Well, next time I have a lot of extra moolah lying around for tweeter waveguide experiments, I'll have to give that a shot! :B :W Don't hold your breath, though!
                                                                                  Jon - Any chance the 6640 voice coil assembly will fit in the chassis of the 6600? I have a pair of 6600s I need to re-build (got them used and abused), and I'd be willing to put together a pair of hybrid 6640s if the voice coil was a drop-in replacement.

Bear

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 15284

I checked with Madisound, they (ScanSpeak) don't have the 6640 available as a VC/dome spare, and it specifically for legal reasons can't be used with a faceplate without the grille, due to the toxicity of Be. So, for now, they only sell complete replacement tweeters. Annoying, but understandable.

I will convert my left over 6640 chasis to a 66000 sometime soon. Maybe I'll try that with a waveguide...
                                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                                    M8ta
                                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                                    Isiris
                                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                                    Calliope
                                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Only1MeBz
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2010
                                                                                      • 1

Only1MeBz

I found this photo of the Black & Decker Table in search of a replacement leg...i registered just to ask you for any information you could give me on the part # or the place to find it...I am seeking to fix mine and would greatly appreciate your help. TY, Missy

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 10934

Miissy,

Sorry but we're not psychic so we don't know what you're talking about when you don't post picture but refer to one somewhere in this 35 page thread......

One option since you mention Black & Decker is to use their parts website
                                                                                        Official website of BLACK+DECKER™. See our power tools, garden tools, and more. Find information on products, where to buy, news, and customer service.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2009
                                                                                          • 535

Holy shit, Jon, those capacitors are gigantic!
                                                                                          -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                                            • 15284

I expect she's referring to the pictures of my foldup B-D workbenches with the aluminum tube legs. I expect the parts site you referred her to is the best bet, because I doubt any parts are available at retail.
                                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                                            M8ta
                                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                                            Isiris
                                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                                            Calliope
                                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"