Ardent Speaker Camp

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Bullet
    • Jul 2007

Great FR and distortion. I think the most objective comment I can come up with is they look smoother than a baby's bum

Comment

• Dean100
      • Jan 2007

Nice work Jon. Slow work takes time! :T

Comment

• Paul W
        • Oct 2004

Sweet! Bringing them back to Colorado for RMAF?
        Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Well, these may just be mini-monitors next to your projects, Paul, but I don't think I'll be able to take them in carryon! Or checked!

Of course, never say never, we'll have to see how the year goes- my current event horizon is the end of April and the Northern CA DIY meet. I'm not ready to think about next October and another cross country journey- was thinking more of flying this time! ;^) Of course, if I got my butt in gear, I could crate and ship them...
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ColoradoTom
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            Well, these may just be mini-monitors next to your projects, Paul, but I don't think I'll be able to take them in carryon! Or checked!

Of course, never say never, we'll have to see how the year goes- my current event horizon is the end of April and the Northern CA DIY meet. I'm not ready to think about next October and another cross country journey- was thinking more of flying this time! ;^) Of course, if I got my butt in gear, I could crate and ship them...
            Jon - good work, most impressive. Will the final write-up and building specs be published here or on the Audioworx site?

Tom

Comment

• TacoD
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ColoradoTom
              Jon - good work, most impressive. Will the final write-up and building specs be published here or on the Audioworx site?

Tom

Audioworx website, am I missing out .

Great work Jon, does these small accuton mids have enough dynamics?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

I'll be preparing a detailed PDF, again, because there is no AudioWorx web site (yet), and it takes less work to do DTP than preparing a web post with the same level of detail. Obviously, there will be a largish ZIP file prepared with all the construction drawing PDF's (sized for superB paper, but you can print on tabloid or legal). Now I'm ready to prepare the Altium schematic and basic BOM with possible modifications.

In answer to your question, Taco, I'd say the "weak" point of this system is the ER18RNX- they're just got so much sweap area and though they were selected for very clean bass and midrange distortion, the Accuton mid and SS tweeter are a tough act to follow. This speaker system was aimed at the 105 dB peak range, and I think the mids have no problems with that- with the Duelund acoustic function, even if a speaker is pushed to 106-108 at 100 Hz, the mids should be OK- higher up, it's a breeze for them. The measured distortion data for the drivers alone confirms this, even when I pushed them somewhat. Obvoiusly, there are benefits to the bigger drivers for larger rooms and if you really think it needful to live at higher SPLs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SDX-2D2CF900-Plot.png
Views:	138
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	936632

Afterall, there's a reason the Isis exists as well as the Indra. Frankly, I think this mid has enough headroom that I could imagine doing a dual 22W SS setup with it on the bottom end. I'm sure Avalon had similar reasoning in developing the Avalon Time, which uses a larger dual woofer setup than the Indra. Then we could lower that distortion floor significantly in the lower end- but of course, at a price. Now, if you guys could take up a collection so that I could retire and work on these full time, just think of all the interesting designs I could crank out- I might even be able to keep up with Paul W! Well, almost!

It all certainly provides me with motivation for the Modula Xtreme build, though I'm still pondering the final tweeter choice- more testing and evaulations to do there. If I can fix the 10 kHz mouth/throat resonance, I'll probably go with the Millenium Excel- otherwise it's the "proven solution" with the D2608/9130.

And yeah, I do have a pair of 22W sitting around- but they're still earmarked for the Nascent/Aducator build. Got new baffles started for the Nascents, unfortunately, also have two weeks of business travel coming up!
                Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:34 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Johnloudb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2007

Congrats Jon! :T I can say I've really enjoyed seeing this speaker come together and it's great to see that all your work has paid off. Thanks for it!

I'm sure others will get a lot enjoyment from this speaker.
                  John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Thanks, John, I'M looking forward to getting some enjoyment from these! And of course, half the enjoyment has been the journey and what I've learned along the way.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hank
                      Jon knows I'm a tequila fan. Got a new Austin company to check out:
                      http://republictequila.com/main.php
                      Hank, any thoughts yet? Sorry guys, now back OT. . . .

Jon, it sounds like you've really got a winner on your hands this time. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• TacoD
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2004

I'll be preparing a detailed PDF, again, because there is no AudioWorx web site (yet), and it takes less work to do DTP than preparing a web post with the same level of detail. Obviously, there will be a largish ZIP file prepared with all the construction drawing PDF's (sized for superB paper, but you can print on tabloid or legal). Now I'm ready to prepare the Altium schematic and basic BOM with possible modifications.

In answer to your question, Taco, I'd say the "weak" point of this system is the ER18RNX- they're just got so much sweap area and though they were selected for very clean bass and midrange distortion, the Accuton mid and SS tweeter are a tough act to follow. This speaker system was aimed at the 105 dB peak range, and I think the mids have no problems with that- with the Duelund acoustic function, even if a speaker is pushed to 106-108 at 100 Hz, the mids should be OK- higher up, it's a breeze for them. The measured distortion data for the drivers alone confirms this, even when I pushed them somewhat. Obvoiusly, there are benefits to the bigger drivers for larger rooms and if you really think it needful to live at higher SPLs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SDX-2D2CF900-Plot.png Views:	0 Size:	30.8 KB ID:	936632

Afterall, there's a reason the Isis exists as well as the Indra. Frankly, I think this mid has enough headroom that I could imagine doing a dual 22W SS setup with it on the bottom end. I'm sure Avalon had similar reasoning in developing the Avalon Time, which uses a larger dual woofer setup than the Indra. Then we could lower that distortion floor significantly in the lower end- but of course, at a price. Now, if you guys could take up a collection so that I could retire and work on these full time, just think of all the interesting designs I could crank out- I might even be able to keep up with Paul W! Well, almost!

It all certainly provides me with motivation for the Modula Xtreme build, though I'm still pondering the final tweeter choice- more testing and evaulations to do there. If I can fix the 10 kHz mouth/throat resonance, I'll probably go with the Millenium Excel- otherwise it's the "proven solution" with the D2608/9130.

And yeah, I do have a pair of 22W sitting around- but they're still earmarked for the Nascent/Aducator build. Got new baffles started for the Nascents, unfortunately, also have two weeks of business travel coming up!
                        Thanks Jon, the Duelund concept works great as long you are hitting the calculated transfer functions. I can see that a Thiel&Partner is doing fine here. My experience is that most larger 3-way systems (>= 10" for bass duties) using a small mid do sound constrained in the mid band. So I was wondering how your concept was doing.
                        Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:35 Monday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Well, here I think I'm bass constrained. And I am hitting the transfer function targets pretty well- actually, crossing over to 7's this low is probably not the norm. But look at the distortion curve for the system at 90 dB out (for one speaker). I mean, I get where you're coming from- I wouldn't try to use a single Tangband 1337s as a midrange in this system! And in spite of some earlier thoughts, I don't think I'd do a "Budget" version with the RS100. OTOH, I think the Vifa NE149W would manage OK.

One way to get a handle on this is to use Linkwitz's SPL Excel sheet, though it's setup to compare dipoles and monopoles, and lord only knows Xmax is not the ideal design limit, but it gives a starter sanity check.

Considering the C79, distortion plots, particularly HD3 are a reasonable guide- here's the C79 at 96 dB output:

Name:	C79Distortion96dB.png
Views:	118
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	936633

As you push it harder, the corner frequency where HD3 starts rising (as you go lower) moves up, but you can see here that at 96 dB and 300 Hz, things still look pretty nice compared with a LOT of parts out there.

Now, looking at that in light of our transfer function curve, 96 dB at 300 Hz from the midrange correlates with a nominal flatband output of 102 dB considering the mibass output also- and this from just one speaker, and at pretty low distortion levels. Since I'm using these in a room about 12 X 18 ft, a pair will play at volumes that are probably unhealthy for my ears without being really stressed. That's one of the things one sometimes has to be careful of with really low distortion drivers- you don't realize how loud you may be listening. The first system I built that was really stealthy about that was my X1 SLAM Klones, but it was something of a quantum leap for me in three ways, and between keeping the range for the Eton 7's limited to 150 Hz on the bottom, and using the Focal TC120d tweeters just from 2250 up, they would do things like Michael Hedges at ludicrous volumes, sounding pristine clear, until you realized you were getting some interference from the ringing in your ears.

Now, I don't think you'd quite get to that turf combining the C79 with a pair of SS 22W, but I think that might be a pretty optimal combination for the Ardent Center channel.

Now, the Modula Xtreme with the big Accuton mids and a pair of 26W on each side, that I think will match the old SLAMs for SPL with low distortion, and with lower coloration.
                          Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:35 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Dec 2004

I would think the Fountek "full range" would be a superb midrange option for a budget variant...
                            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

I bet it would be a great driver for a "mini-statement" type of design. Probably the only real shortcoming is the smallish Sd, compared with something like the C79- it's only about 1/3.
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mkc
                                • Aug 2007

Hi Jon,

As far as I know you haven't had the time to do any measurements on the Vifa NE149W?

Best regards,
                                Mogens

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mkc
                                  Hi Jon,

As far as I know you haven't had the time to do any measurements on the Vifa NE149W?

Best regards,
                                  Mogens
                                  You're right, I haven't- they came in after the NE180W, in the shipment where they bollixed up the tweeters. Got business travel I'm leaving on for a week this coming weekend, so it will be later in the month before I get to look at them. I'm suspecting/expecting something pretty similar to the NE180W, perhaps a little cleaner cone behavior in the top end? And off axis behavior extending a bit higher.
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Space
                                    • Aug 2009

I was just browsing the Magico site and looking at this speaker:

Image not available

Image not available

That sure looks like a Scan Speak 26W. I wonder if the Madisound special a while back on those 12 ohm woofers was a buyout from Magico. It would follow because the 12 ohm impedance works for a trio. They only have that vague image of the overall, but you see there are three of them.
                                    Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 13:56 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• Face
                                      • Mar 2007

Good eye!
                                      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Extremely high probability, I'd say... on both accounts.

You know, I didn't used to be a Scanspeak fanboi, but some of their recent products have turned me around... the 26W series is one of those.
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• igy137
                                          • Jan 2008

Googling for M6 gives some more images, it definitely looks like the 26W.
                                          I was curious about the cabinet size, quickly checked the dimensions 138x87x55 (cm), that's huge, around 500l...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                            • Aug 2000

Huge and heavy... just like your wallet needs to be to afford these!
                                            the AudioWorx
                                            Natalie P
                                            M8ta
                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                            Modula MT XE
                                            Modula Xtreme
                                            Isiris
                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                            Minerva Monitor
                                            Calliope
                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                            Obi-Wan
                                            Modula PWB
                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Space
                                              • Aug 2009

The unmistakable Scan Speak feature is seven mounting screws. If you ever happen to try and draft seven equally spaced increments around a circle, you realize why nobody else is "clever" enough to make that design decision--pretty hard to measure 51.428571428571428571428571428571 degrees. But hey, sometimes six is too few and eight is too many, so there you go!

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Space
                                                The unmistakable Scan Speak feature is seven mounting screws. If you ever happen to try and draft seven equally spaced increments around a circle, you realize why nobody else is "clever" enough to make that design decision--pretty hard to measure 51.428571428571428571428571428571 degrees. But hey, sometimes six is too few and eight is too many, so there you go!
                                                you made an engineer laugh this morning :rofl:
                                                Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Rolex
                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by savage25xtreme
                                                  you made an engineer laugh this morning :rofl:

x2

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                                    • Sep 2009

Does an engineering student count? :P
                                                    -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• JonP
                                                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Space
                                                      Hehehe!!!! Indeed! That IS one HECK of a repeating sequence there!

Of course, just calling it 51.43 would do, but what fun is that?

Comment

• Dr.EM
                                                        • Mar 2010

Been following this project closely but only just joined up to the forum. Really outstanding work! Looks like a great design 8)

The LBL core for the outer front panel has an interesting texture, as seen here in the prepared tweeter opening; it is quite hard and dense, not hard to see why Jim Salk and some others are doing enclosure work with it; but it seems to machine nicely, at least with sharp tools.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ardent-TweeterHoleLBL.jpg Views:	1 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	936563

I've seen mention of this LBL product in a few threads, but searching for it online turns up nothing for me. Does it go by a different name? Where are you sourcing it from?
                                                        Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:37 Monday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Laminated Bamboo Lumbar, CJD is also a fan (for more conventional applications, like his home flooring!

Currently I buy 3/4" X 12" cross section boards from the Rockler store in Pleasant Hill; they don't source it through "Rockler corporate" but through a specialty wood wholesaler. The only buy about once a quarter, so I'm often check their status and updating them with my needs- just picked up a couple more boards recently for some of the new upcoming projects.

For "small" pieces, though, I've been turning to a different source - bamboo cutting boards, through online vendors like Amazon, or locals like Target. Bought in quantity online, the price comes down pretty low. (think six packs- literally)

To use for special functions, like a tweeter mounting board with waveguide, or for a whole front panel for a smaller speaker project (like 10" X 16", for example).

Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 10:43 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dr.EM
                                                            • Mar 2010

Thanks for your response, very helpful!

I can see those boards on Amazon and they are about the right size for the front baffle on a project I'm doing. No issues with wood expansion from these I assume? Do they glue up well? It quite a lot harder/more solid than MDF, potentially hold a screw well too?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                              • Aug 2000

Hey, you won't get an objective opinion from me, I'm the LBL fanboi, for certain. This stuff is about 18% harder than Maple, it's a processed wood product, I haven't had any issues with expansion or other behavior so far (Northern CA), and if you use the right pilot hole, screws like black oxide sheet rock screws or square drive screws go in over and over and lock down the way you usually only get with a bolt threaded into aluminum. I used threaded inserts on the ardent, but I don't recommend that now with LBL except for fairly large bolt sizes- say, 10-24 or 1/4-20. The behavior with either threaded inserts or direct screws is MUCH better than MDF.

I've been playing with some more "exotic" materials like phenolic sheet, and I'm glad to find something easy to source and so nice to work with- and very stiff. It's a great "launch platform" in my opinion, and at least deserves to be used in the front panel where, IMO, the stiffest, strongest coupling of the driver to the rest of the cabinet is needed.

Of course, remember, I'm the official HT Guide nutcase, extremism in the defense of sonic resolution, all that sort of stuff. YMMV.

But all my new projects in progress are using LBL, even when it's just a custom front panel for a Dayton cabinet, as in the Modula series. Which are intended to be easy to build, unlike the Ardent. I found some big cutting boards an inch thick that are going into the Modula Xtreme bass cabinet front panels.
                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                              Natalie P
                                                              M8ta
                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                              Isiris
                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                              Calliope
                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                              Modula PWB
                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dr.EM
                                                                • Mar 2010

That sounds awesome

Sounds like, even if I don't like the raw appearance of it and have to cover it with something, (I might as looking at it i'd probably have one of those light bands showing with my 40.1CM panel section required from the 46CM board) it'd still be worth the extra money over MDF. I'll save on threaded inserts anyhow as I already have the Monacor black hex drive speaker screws.

So the Amazon cutting boards are LBL? I guess that is the only form one can buy bamboo board in anyhow as it's not possible to obtain large unprocessed boards directly sawn from the plant. No expansion worries is what I'm looking for as I originally intended to use real wood for this but was put off by the issues of expansion.

Will probably order some later and let you know how I get on with them! I guess sharp tools (router bits) are important when cutting this tough material so may need to get some more of those too.

Those big inch thick boards sound great! Look forward to seeing you implement them :T

EDIT: Probably irrelevant but the UK boards are a different brand. I assume they are the same material though:

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                                                  • Sep 2009

Plyboo.com has a great selection of LBL.
                                                                  -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Dr.EM
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2010

I recieved my bamboo cutting boards and have been working with them.

I agree with all the points you made. Much more solid, tools well without making fine dust, holds a wood screw very well and glues up well with normal wood glue. Good stuff, if it were cheaper and more available I don't think MDF would get used very much.

Be careful on rough jigsaw cut edges though, it will give you nasty splinters until you router/sand it!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dr.EM
                                                                      I recieved my bamboo cutting boards and have been working with them.

I agree with all the points you made. Much more solid, tools well without making fine dust, holds a wood screw very well and glues up well with normal wood glue. Good stuff, if it were cheaper and more available I don't think MDF would get used very much.

Be careful on rough jigsaw cut edges though, it will give you nasty splinters until you router/sand it!
                                                                      No argument there- you need sharp tools and fine cutting bits- I use Bosch finish grade jig saw blades, but you konw, I think I've done all my work on LBL with either multi-tooth carbide table saw blades or router bits (jasper jig is your friend for circle cutting), or on occation template follower bits with phenolic templates.

I'm going to be diving in to a big stack of LBL boards next week when combined "Ardent Speaker Camp" and "Modula Xtreme Speaker Camp" go into session. Only the latter working with new boards and front/rear panels plus some construction pieces, such as tweeter mounts for waveguides or sub-cabinet fixtures.
                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                      M8ta
                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                      Isiris
                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                      Calliope
                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Renovator
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2010

I'm going to be diving in to a big stack of LBL boards next week when combined "Ardent Speaker Camp" and "Modula Xtreme Speaker Camp" go into session. Only the latter working with new boards and front/rear panels plus some construction pieces, such as tweeter mounts for waveguides or sub-cabinet fixtures.
                                                                        opcorn:

Waiting with much interest.

Have been reading as many of the threads as i can keep up with since I found the site. Have to say I am amazed at the quality of information and workmanship that I have seen in my short time here. Inspiring stuff.

The technical expertise available is pretty impressive too.
                                                                        ;x(

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 15284

Welcome to HT Guide, Renovator- there's lots of great contributors here, and tons of potentially useful reference threads, too. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Two days till Ardent Speaker Camp 2010 starts...
                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                          M8ta
                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                          Isiris
                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                          Calliope
                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 15284

Originally posted by Dr.EM
                                                                            That sounds awesome

Sounds like, even if I don't like the raw appearance of it and have to cover it with something, (I might as looking at it i'd probably have one of those light bands showing with my 40.1CM panel section required from the 46CM board) it'd still be worth the extra money over MDF. I'll save on threaded inserts anyhow as I already have the Monacor black hex drive speaker screws.

So the Amazon cutting boards are LBL? I guess that is the only form one can buy bamboo board in anyhow as it's not possible to obtain large unprocessed boards directly sawn from the plant. No expansion worries is what I'm looking for as I originally intended to use real wood for this but was put off by the issues of expansion.

Will probably order some later and let you know how I get on with them! I guess sharp tools (router bits) are important when cutting this tough material so may need to get some more of those too.

Those big inch thick boards sound great! Look forward to seeing you implement them :T

EDIT: Probably irrelevant but the UK boards are a different brand. I assume they are the same material though:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
                                                                            Same stuff, as far as I can see. There's several brands doing this in high volume over here on our side of the pond.
                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                            M8ta
                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                            Isiris
                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                            Calliope
                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dean100
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jan 2007
                                                                              • 140

Two days till Ardent Speaker Camp 2010 starts...
                                                                              Looking forward to seeing the results of Speaker Camp. Enjoy your time off and keep up the incredible work. :T

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15284

Status update and Crossover schematic

Been so busy I've didn't get around to finishing drawing up the crossover schematic for those that might be interested and posting it-

Name:	Ardent_Xover_RC-2A.png
Views:	133
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	936544

I'll be putting together a BOM with general component selection guidelines during the upcoming week.

A few notes are on the schematic, but a few more may be in order.

The LCR network in the midrange, C17/L14/R23 came about from the listening campaign described earlier; it takes care of a bit of a bump in the 2 kHz region of the C79. Blue is "before" and violet is "after". This follows the Duelund transfer target better.

Name:	0307 LCR Mid Tweak.png
Views:	5244
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	854605

Some have asked about the "fugly" diffraction pad- what does it really do?

This plot probably shows the why's and wherefores better than any arm waving, at least as regards on axis.

Name:	DiffractionComp.png
Views:	5148
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	854606

Diffraction induced effects are also not usually uniform with regards to the measurement axis... so a "pet" theory of mine (which doesn't mean it isn't wrong) is that if you clean up the diffraction related stuff, if the drivers are operated in the right band and the crossover is solid, you should have pretty consistent behavior at least out to +/- 30 degrees or more (considering the limits of driver dispersion as you approach the top of the pass band).

So, this is the response measured at 30 degrees off the horizontal axis.

Name:	Ardent-03-19-30deg.png
Views:	6833
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	854607

Not perfection, but certainly something I can live with.

For reference, set the Wayback machine to October in Denver, when first fired up based on just LspCAD calculations, and when they were running the D3004/6620 tweeters on top.

Name:	Ardent_Denver1st.png
Views:	5262
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	854608

One of the things I also want to mention is how much I'm enjoying these with what I would call "non audiophile recordings", but just well made ones of typical performers- two in particular I've been listening to the last week,

Name:	51cUw2QQKYL._SS500_.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	936545
                                                                                Harbor Lights, Bruce Hornsby

Name:	61p20Cqke3L._SS500_.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	936546
                                                                                Acoustic Extravaganza, KT Tunstall

Originally Acoustic Extravaganz wasn't released by the record label, and was only available on her personal web site as a CD/DVD combo; the DVD detailed the recording, which done in just a few days. You know how I love that explicit content... that's why I always try to be so explicit in my design notes and construction details. That is what they're talking about, isn't it? :W
                                                                                Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 10:45 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2005
                                                                                  • 5202

Although I consider KT Tunstall "chic music", I really enjoyed her first album. I also have her second, but consider the first better. I'll have to pick this one up. Thanks fo rhte heads up, I didn't know about it. Saved.

Harbor Lights is $6.99 from Amazon. With free Prime shipping, Done!
                                                                                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                                                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                                                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• SoundOfNothing
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2009
                                                                                    • 51

Jon I don't see components numbered "C17/L14/R23" in the schematic for the mids, am I missing something? Did you mean 13/16/10?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 15284

Originally posted by SoundOfNothing
                                                                                      Jon I don't see components numbered "C17/L14/R23" in the schematic for the mids, am I missing something? Did you mean 13/16/10?
                                                                                      Nope! But I am! Thanks for the catch- will correct and update! That's what comes from having too many things on different pieces of paper when you try to create the "master plan".

Updated evening of 3-25-2010.

Ryan, you can probably preview the cuts on Amazon if you want- it's an interesting album, more of an R&B feel on some cuts, definitely more of a "risk" taken then her first and most recent pop efforts. Probably why the label wasn't supporting it initially.
                                                                                      Last edited by JonMarsh; 25 March 2010, 23:07 Thursday.
                                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                                      M8ta
                                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                                      Isiris
                                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                                      Calliope
                                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jonasz
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2004
                                                                                        • 852

38 components per speaker! :E That's what is called a "perfectionist" crossover I assume? :P

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 15284

Other than three parts, it's what just get's the job done...

Originally posted by Jonasz
                                                                                          38 components per speaker! :E That's what is called a "perfectionist" crossover I assume? :P

Alas, it's what get's the job done. Of course, I suspect you're counting paralleled resistors- though you may not be counting paralleled caps.

You could leave some parts out, but every time you do, things get a bit more problematic... like some of Tony Gee's crossovers.

For example, leave off the woofer low frequency zobel, and the interaction of the main LF inductor and the driver impedance shifts gives a nice bump in the upper bass- might be preferred by some that like their bottom end a bit zaftig.

The SS tweeter has a significant impedance rise which if left "untreated" will put a bump in the bottom end below 1 kHz- with the Duelund concept, we must match the transfer function well down to -20 dB or better-

Similarly, the C79 has impedance swings that can't be ignored either for crossover operation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C79-Cab-Plot.png Views:	4894 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	854612

Steen's crossovers I've heard would make this one look like a piffle...

But if you want to build the "basic" version, as opposed to the "perfectionist"
                                                                                          version, then one can remove L10, C14, and R10, as their only purpose is to kill a bump in the impedance curve that occurs between the midrange driver and tweeter, which may interact with amplifiers with higher output impedance (vacuum tube or no feedback solid state designs), causing a bump in the presence region (that's how it models).

So, there are some options.... but those parts are so relatively small and inexpensive in the overall scheme of things, I didn't see the need to point that out. :B
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 10:47 Monday. Reason: Update quote
                                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                                          M8ta
                                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                                          Isiris
                                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                                          Calliope
                                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• lbstyling
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Oct 2008
                                                                                            • 80

hello jon,
                                                                                            ive been reading and reading.......and reading, and im very impressed to say the least!
                                                                                            i have been seaching for another design to build for years now and i have to say that im interested.
                                                                                            the problem is that im advised by many that its important to have as few components in the signal path as i can get away with. there are lots and lots of them in this design- i know there is little theory to support the sq loss of doing this - but still im uneasy with the idea of all those caps on the signal path.
                                                                                            i have tried to get to the bottom of this idea but i just cant. -its suported by the fact that many of the speakers i have realy been impressed by were 1st order, with the aim of as few components as possible.-can anyone offer some enlightenment on this?
                                                                                            im kinda between tony gee's soup sandwich and this atm.

ps- just awsome cabinet work!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"