X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Listening comments

Ok, this is sort of a BS part, where the designer talks about how it sounds, how close to the "target" he thinks it comes, and maybe why it does that or why it falls short, if the case. It's pretty hard to be objective at this point, but in my defense, it's not like I'm the only person posting on this board that likes the combination of Accuton Midranges and the SS illuminator tweeters. Just ask Jed or CurtC. :yesnod:

The overall performance in my opinion confirms the driver choices, including the midwoofers- the low end is strong and quite articulate. Cuts/albums really illustrating that included David Garfield's "Giving Back", including the title cut and "Josie" (yes, he played with Steely Dan); also Hirom Uhera's "Spiral", from the similarly named album- piano and bass were very well delineated from each other though working in similar frequency bands at times, and her bass players very fast plucking never was blurred together.

Another impressive recording was Bela Fleck's "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo", from the similarly titled album- though the very low frequency material was down in level due to the port blockage, the overall transient characteristics and attack was very pleasing. I suspect that the very low DCR of the Jantzen C-Core 4 mH inductor on the LF section played a hand, as well as the low DCR of the 0.400 mH 12 AWG NorthCreek inductor in the second stage of the LF filter. Obviously, a stiff cabinet doesn't hurt either. It sounded like there was more at work than just two 7" midwoofers- I say that as someone familiar with what double 7" midwoofers sound like in more than a few systems. Hat's off to Seas and the ER18RNX. :T

It hardly seems necessary to mention the qualities of the C79- it's smooth response and very low distortion are certainly evident in all instruments, handling as it does significant output from 200 Hz to 8 kHz. Whether it was Rory Block's "Last Fair Deal" with her interesting voice and amazing slide guitar playing, or piano and bass overtones on Hiromi's "Spiral", or the brass on "Corner Pocket" by Harry James, or the choral voices of Cantus "Against the Dying of the Night", this driver has a deserved reputation for high resolution, and seems to deliver as hoped in this design. I'd say all those 22 uF Clarity ESA caps seemed to be doing their thing pretty well also.

The Scanspeak D3004/662001 is very clean and transparent; as ColoradoTom commented, cymbal sound was rendered very naturally and clearly. My opinion listening is that it may still be about 1 dB hot, but ThomasW thinks it's just right as is. I'll be upgrading the pad resistors later and burning in and listening and measuring some more after I get home, so there's time to assess and make some adjustments if needed. It is flattest at about 15-20 degrees off axis, so the room power response holds up well, and they sound surprisingly good in the next room or even behind them.
    "Private Investigations" by Dire Straits was a treat for both dynamics and the re-creation of the acoustic space through a seemless midrange to top end.

The really weird thing is how the drivers all sum together- if you do the test sweeps listening just to the mid, the woofer, or the tweeter, you could get the impression they are not so loud and don't cover that much range, but then with all drivers running the sweep at the same level sounds quite different and more powerful- clearly the summing seems to be working audibly as intended for a Duelund style crossover, not just by measurement. The mid to tweeter blend holds up well both above and below the midrange axis, even a bit better than predicted by LspCAD- so standing doesn't change the tonality significantly as is often the case with higher order designs. This probably contributes to a solid power response behavior. I didn't bring a turntable out with me, so more detailed testing will have to wait until I'm back in California and have some time.

They've been a lot of work, and there's lots left for finishing and veneering- also deciding whether to put the crossovers internal or create an external crossover cabinet (I'm leaning towards the latter as updates and tweaking are much easier, though I've built all the boards so they will go in the box in specific locations). The Woofer zobel has been reduced by 200 uF with the final box impedance data, and the midrange zobel was modified to do some response shaping in addition to impedance control.

Compared with the NeoD CC in the standard box, the Ardent has a much more dynamic presentation at the frequency extremes, and a considerably more powerful and articulate bass, more visceral and articulate. Starts and stops faster, and obviously very low distortion. The midrange presentation is somewhat different, probably because one driver handles a wider range, and the integration with the presence range may be a bit better or more transparent- I suspect the capacitor choices contribute to that, as well as the contributions of the D3004/662001 in the lower part of it's operating range.

Of course, I'd say that finalizing the levels and getting some burn in time may also change the presentation- as I say, I'm leaning towards dropping the top end by 1 dB. Maybe the midrange, too.

We'll see.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Boy that's an old school Weller right there :B

Comment

• Biermann
        • Aug 2009

Very Nice!

Congrats Jon they look great, even before the finish, and hey as long as you're happy with the sound there's no need for esplainin'. Personally I am looking forward to the Low-Rent version now that I have caught the DIY speaker bug from my first build, it melds perfectly with my woodworking hobby and fondness of electronics and music. Though if you chose to update the tweeter on the NeoCC first I wouldn't complain either.

By the way, you responded you were going to do a basic lacquer finish previously, have you thought of doing an acid or tinted shellac wash along with sand-back to pop the grain before coating?

Comment

• kravi4ka
          • Feb 2006

Not sure about the Weller but if you compare the size of the coils and caps to the speakers you might decide they are some bookshelf design 8O :E 8O

P.S.(Biting the hand that types the spam)Can you change just the tweeter on the NeoDcc? ops:

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I think the reasoning behind changing the tweeter is because it's sort of spotty as far as if it's discontinued or not. Their website says it's discontinued but Madisound says it's not.

Comment

• ColoradoTom
              • Feb 2006

Quick Comments

I don't have much to add to what Jon said..... The speaker placement was obviously NOT optimized as the pictures clearly show, but even in less than ideal setting there is much to be excited about. My gut feel is that when properly set up and finished, most people will sit slack-jaw through a demo. I liked what I hear with the highs, the initial impact in percussion instruments was very realistic, and piano and slide guitar had a real feeling of being there in the room. I was surprised that the speakers are actually smaller that I thought - a good thing in my opinion!

Unfortunatly, I had to leave and do some family stuff after a short visit. Thanks to Jon and Tom for letting me sit in. Had a good talk with Tom about things on the horizon while Jon did an outstanding impression of Doc Brown (Jon could't get the second speaker working for testing... after a bit of running around the room muttering to no one in particular he finally traced the problem to a mis-wire on one of the HUGE crossover boards).

Gotta go.........

Tom

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Biermann
                Very Nice!

Congrats Jon they look great, even before the finish, and hey as long as you're happy with the sound there's no need for esplainin'. Personally I am looking forward to the Low-Rent version now that I have caught the DIY speaker bug from my first build, it melds perfectly with my woodworking hobby and fondness of electronics and music. Though if you chose to update the tweeter on the NeoCC first I wouldn't complain either.

By the way, you responded you were going to do a basic lacquer finish previously, have you thought of doing an acid or tinted shellac wash along with sand-back to pop the grain before coating?
                Those are interesting suggestions- I was fairly happy with how my test finish panels turned out, but I can take some time and make some more and try out your suggestions on them before proceeding. There's so much work work coming up between next week and mid November that I'll hardly have time to take a spare breath!
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dougie085
                  Boy that's an old school Weller right there :B
                  Old and reliable- and very necessary; it's a continuous control and readout temperature station, with temperature control up to 850F, which is necessary for stripping down the Cardas litz construction such as used in the SE-9 cable. Tools that get the job done and keep working hang around for quite a while...
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by kravi4ka
                    Not sure about the Weller but if you compare the size of the coils and caps to the speakers you might decide they are some bookshelf design 8O :E 8O

P.S.(Biting the hand that types the spam)Can you change just the tweeter on the NeoDcc? ops:

Well, that's a feasible option only requiring money and a new HP crossover; as I mention with regards to a NeoD CC Mk II design, my preference would be the SS D2004/6020-00; I just haven't found a lower cost tweeter in small form factor that I'm that thrilled about for this project - might be a bit spendy for some folks, as ThomasW would put it, but very good off axis behavior as regards power response, will probably order a pair this week to test out. If they look good on HD, then I'll test and develop a replacement network for them to slide into the existing NeoD CC.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Face
                      • Mar 2007

What do you think about the MR's and ESA's?

Your resistor "upgrade", are you going with Duelund?

The cabinets look beautiful! I'm almost inspired to attempt a faceted front for the cabinets I'm currently building, but am afraid of how it may affect my crossover($$$)...
                      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

A few more comments re low frequency design

This tall cabinet does have a tendency to develop a column resonance wave- it's necessary to use some extra damping at the bottom near the port, or the response will have a dip centered in the 180 Hz area; an impedance bobble is visible in the woofer Z curves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ER18RNX-Cab-PlotZ.jpg
Views:	4496
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	853803

This measurement was taken with the lower chamber having no stuffing where the port is. The amplitude effects can be seen in the older test traces here, which are also comparing the sweeps with the LF zobel connected or not connected. Can you guess which curve is which? :W

Name:	LF-ZobelComp.png
Views:	7675
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	853802

This plot also illustrates the importance of the LF zobel network, 16 mH (2x 8 mH) + 400 uF + 8 ohm total Z (about 3.6 ohm in the 20 AWG inductors, the rest in a 100 watt aluminum power resistor). I wonder if having this resonance damping network in the crossover confers other advantages with regards to the transient definition- could be something to look at in other designs with lowish crossovers.

When I'm back in CA I'll be doing some damping experiments with stuffing and nearfield driver and port measurements to figure out what seems to work best on a pragmatic basis.
                        Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 09:39 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                          Old and reliable- and very necessary; it's a continuous control and readout temperature station, with temperature control up to 850F, which is necessary for stripping down the Cardas litz construction such as used in the SE-9 cable. Tools that get the job done and keep working hang around for quite a while...

Yeah I've got a Weller EC2002M with several spare EC1201 wands. It's an adjustable temp model as well although has a digital read out. I've been considering grabbing a weller ESD dual wand station as it would be nice for when I need a SMT tip and a standard tip. I could always just grab another of the same that I have but I think the dual one is about the same price. Always loved Weller soldering stations though.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Face
                            What do you think about the MR's and ESA's?

Your resistor "upgrade", are you going with Duelund?

The cabinets look beautiful! I'm almost inspired to attempt a faceted front for the cabinets I'm currently building, but am afraid of how it may affect my crossover($$$)...

Once I figure out the exact values I want to settle on (using other resistors to test), I'll probably go with some Duelunds from Parts Connexion in Canada- not that much money at this point.

It would be hard to offer an opinion about the effect of the ESA and MR's without substituting and comparing, but the midrange and high frequency presentation are much to my liking, and others- hence, ColoradoTom's comments:

My gut feel is that when properly set up and finished, most people will sit slack-jaw through a demo. I liked what I hear with the highs, the initial impact in percussion instruments was very realistic, and piano and slide guitar had a real feeling of being there in the room. I was surprised that the speakers are actually smaller that I thought - a good thing in my opinion!
                            For anyone considering "boutique caps", I'd strongly recommend they read the Clarity white paper. Anyone with an engineering and psych bent will appreciate the way they used a university for independent research on audibility and manufacturing related factors contributing to the sound. I personally am of the opinion that anything which contributes to strong imaging perception is doing the "right thing", as imaging is an internal brain construct made possible when the ear here's that which sounds like the real thing; particularly in regards to rendering an acoustic space.

Last for now, this is the current working crossover network, except that the midrange series resistor is 1 ohm, likely to become 2 ohms based on simulation last night; tweeter pad shunt currently 30 ohms, to become 15 ohms.

Name:	ArdentSchmUpdate1017.png
Views:	5102
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	853804
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 09:41 Monday. Reason: Update image and pdf location
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kravi4ka
                              • Feb 2006

Well, that's a feasible option only requiring money and a new HP crossover; as I mention with regards to a NeoD CC Mk II design, my preference would be the SS D2004/6020-00; I just haven't found a lower cost tweeter in small form factor that I'm that thrilled about for this project - might be a bit spendy for some folks, as ThomasW would put it, but very good off axis behavior as regards power response, will probably order a pair this week to test out. If they look good on HD, then I'll test and develop a replacement network for them to slide into the existing NeoD CC.
                              Well, I am not thrilled by their price at all as my nonexistent budget was stretched far too much by the original build but I am planning to sell some stuff and cut the food in half and my wife would probably do anything to have a flush mount tweeter that looks very close to the Dayton. Priority at the moment is the SDX-2 of course, let's not split Jon's attention.

Comment

• TacoD
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2004

Great read, besides the Duelund resistors I would also consider the Mundorf M-resist. Those are also great sounding, and are not as fragile as the Duelunds (used both).

BTW, the curves you are showing, do these represent the correct low output. If so I would attenuate the mid/ tweeter, as it looks somewhat "forward" (I prefer full baffle step).

Comment

• Dean100
                                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by kravi4ka
                                  Priority at the moment is the SDX-2 of course, let's not split Jon's attention.
                                  Perhaps you could get Evil Twin to do the work. :W Oh, I hear that he may be busy with a new project of his own, the Nascent. :W

Comment

• Jed
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2005

This tall cabinet does have a tendency to develop a column resonance wave- it's necessary to use some extra damping at the bottom near the port, or the response will have a dip centered in the 180 Hz area; an impedance bobble is visible in the woofer Z curves.

I had the same issue in the redesign of the Lineup Maxx Mk2, that I did this year to replace the D26 tweeter version in the MA section.

There were some impedance wobbles because I didn't have enough dampening material at the top and bottom of the box.

Here's before adding the additional Acousta Stuf:

Image not available

Here's after adding more fill to absorb standing waves:

Image not available

This measurement was taken with the lower chamber having no stuffing where the port is. The amplitude effects can be seen in the older test traces here, which are also comparing the sweeps with the LF zobel connected or not connected. Can you guess which curve is which? :W

Click image for larger version  Name:	LF-ZobelComp.png Views:	7439 Size:	45.4 KB ID:	853802
                                    Thank you for taking that additional measurement. It definitely appears to smooth the low end. In the past I've avoided really low crossover points between the mid and woofers because of the added component costs and high Q peak in the electrical transfer function below say 150hz, which appears to require that big zobel network. This appears to be the only solution given the Duelund style crossover slopes and selected crossover points. I just wonder if you'd have equal sonics with LR2 and FCs of say 400hz and 2.5k, which might simplify the crossover network and result in similar phase characteristics. I also believe the C79's low end tapers off like that because of the use of ferro fluid in the motor. Just thinking out loud.

Your speakers do look amazing and the measurements are looking great. I agree that the mids might get cut maybe 1-1.5dbs more (you mentioned it somewhere), but having not heard them, I'm just going by what I see from the in room response.

Great thread Jon :T

Jed
                                    Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 09:46 Monday. Reason: Update quote and remove broken image links

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TacoD
                                      Great read, besides the Duelund resistors I would also consider the Mundorf M-resist. Those are also great sounding, and are not as fragile as the Duelunds (used both).

BTW, the curves you are showing, do these represent the correct low output. If so I would attenuate the mid/ tweeter, as it looks somewhat "forward" (I prefer full baffle step).
                                      I agree, Taco, which is why I commented I think they need at least another dB or so reduction of mid and tweeter. As you can see, the speakers are well out from the wall, and that's how they'll be used. At this stage I usually trim a bit gradual with listening and measurement to the point that seems to sound and measure right with them pulled well out. I may need to pull the mid back as much as 2 dB, probably the tweeter only another dB. Don't have my resistor collection with me here, so that will wait until I'm back in CA.

I'll check out the Mundorf's, too. They MOX versions are available from Madisound, but the bifilar non-inductive only seem to be available from Parts Connexion in Canada.
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jed

I had the same issue in the redesign of the Lineup Maxx Mk2, that I did this year to replace the D26 tweeter version in the MA section.

There were some impedance wobbles because I didn't have enough dampening material at the top and bottom of the box.

Here's before adding the additional Acousta Stuf:

Image not available

Here's after adding more fill to absorb standing waves:

Image not available

Thank you for taking that additional measurement. It definitely appears to smooth the low end. In the past I've avoided really low crossover points between the mid and woofers because of the added component costs and high Q peak in the electrical transfer function below say 150hz, which appears to require that big zobel network. This appears to be the only solution given the Duelund style crossover slopes and selected crossover points. I just wonder if you'd have equal sonics with LR2 and FCs of say 400hz and 2.5k, which might simplify the crossover network and result in similar phase characteristics. I also believe the C79's low end tapers off like that because of the use of ferro fluid in the motor. Just thinking out loud.

Your speakers do look amazing and the measurements are looking great. I agree that the mids might get cut maybe 1-1.5dbs more (you mentioned it somewhere), but having not heard them, I'm just going by what I see from the in room response.

Great thread Jon :T

Jed

Thanks for the corroboration and your plots, Jed. :T I think it's an unavoidable issue to be dealt with with a design like this.

I did a lot of pondering and soul searching about the crossover point, considering a higher center frequency and different alignment to get a 400 Hz crossover, but in the end my conclusion was that because the midwoofer output is still important and sums with the midrange up to the CF (900 Hz in this case), I was pushing CTR-CTR issues with a higher crossover point and higher center frequency- I figured this roughly 250 Hz might work out better, and would distribute the power response region over a fairly tall stack of drivers, which might help floor bounce issues.

I also think the low crossover point has helped integration issues- I can get nice measurements at 1 or 2 meters of course, but also as close as 18-20" on the midrange axis- sometimes this is a problem in three way systems. OTOH, I wouldn't call these nearfield monitors.. :lol:

I think in the end that has worked out well, apart from the cost of the LF zobel. With just nulling the impedance peak centered at 60 Hz, two 8 mH high Z inductors don't cost too much, and now it's down to 400 uF in the capacitor bank, which seems, well, if not ideal, at least manageable. :W

The midrange zobel is no longer just a zobel, but also plays an additional role in shaping the roll off characteristics of the C79, which as you can see from the plots, is quite different from the Avalon Indra.

Unfortunately, this still isn't an inexpensive crossover; it's about as complex and expensive as it would take to do an Isis clone, for example.

But now ET is playing with a pair of 8" SS, and while I think they'll work OK in his project, I'm wondering now if a dual 8" 8857 big brother to the Ardent with the C173N-T6-90 midrange wouldn't be interesting... But should I "cheap out" and use the Accuton tweeters I already have (C30N) or get some more Scanspeaks?

Name:	C30NAxisCurves.png
Views:	4301
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	853805

Name:	C30NDistortion.png
Views:	4588
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	853806

Not a decision I have to make soon, of course!

I think I'll need to give my hands some time to recover from construction stress before considering another big project, though!! :rofl: Too much joint clicking and a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome that comes and goes.
                                        Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 09:47 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Apr 2005

But now ET is playing with a pair of 8" SS, and while I think they'll work OK in his project, I'm wondering now if a dual 8" 8857 big brother to the Ardent with the C173N-T6-90 midrange wouldn't be interesting... But should I "cheap out" and use the Accuton tweeters I already have (C30N) or get some more Scanspeaks? .
                                          Having experienced the 10" Revelator scan speak with the C173n-T6-90, I think about the only thing that would be better is a pair of them on the low end. The 8"ers would make for a nice relatively compact solution, without giving up too much-- I would say. My only reservation about the Accuton tweeter is whether or not it can handle a Duelund transfer function much below 2.5k. As you have proven, that's no problem for the Illuminator 6620 or Air Circ 6600. That is assuming you want to go with Duelund crossover slopes again. Believe it or not, the C173n-T6-90 can do it.

Another option that is interesting, and something I won't be trying anytime soon unless I win the lotto, is a pair of Accuton 8" drivers. The neo magnet version looks interesting, but I'm not sure how well the T/S parameters will model.

Name:	c220n-t6-222.gif
Views:	1356
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	853807
                                          Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:19 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2005

Jon,
                                            I'm sure you and Jeb both have seen Zaph's blog post about tall cabinets and needing stuffing in the bottom for the problems you've noted. Though Zaph theorized that the symmetric WMTMW don't have seem to exhibit this issue. My ear isn't acute as your and Jed's ear, but I haven't heard or measured (WT3 imedance plot) any issues in my Khans, and I currently only have the walls lined. I'm guessing Jim and the legends of Statement owners would also agree.
                                            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• dlneubec
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jan 2006

But now ET is playing with a pair of 8" SS, and while I think they'll work OK in his project, I'm wondering now if a dual 8" 8857 big brother to the Ardent with the C173N-T6-90 midrange wouldn't be interesting... But should I "cheap out" and use the Accuton tweeters I already have (C30N) or get some more Scanspeaks?

Not a decision I have to make soon, of course!

I think I'll need to give my hands some time to recover from construction stress before considering another big project, though!! :rofl: Too much joint clicking and a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome that comes and goes.
                                              Jon,

I don't recall what ET's project is, but have you considered the AE systems Lamda drivers? They are really excellent and while not cheap, they are certainly less than 2-SS 8" drivers. The TD12H, for example is about $260 each, when buying 1+, have an sd of about 530, 14mm xmax and can get into the mid 30's in a 50 liter box with about a 93db sensitivity. They are pretty flat out to 2khz and low distortion as well. They have a tremendous kick to them. I just came back from the Iowa DIY where during the lunch break we played these, (in my BaSSlines project), using music, not pink noise, with readings of 104db continous, 1 meter on axis, 110db peaks and they were still clean and not even moving much. They spec to 500w continous. John J. customs builds them all and I believe will even customize them to your needs to some degree.

Here are some measurements of mine in/on box. The spl is nearfield-farfield-port merged, with HBT applied. I believe the hump at 500hz is baffle related.

Name:	TD12H_NF_FF_portmerge.gif
Views:	131
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	936614

Name:	TD12H-Z.gif
Views:	131
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	936615
                                              Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:20 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                              Dan N.

Comment

• Jed
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                                                Jon,
                                                I'm sure you and Jeb both have seen Zaph's blog post about tall cabinets and needing stuffing in the bottom for the problems you've noted. Though Zaph theorized that the symmetric WMTMW don't have seem to exhibit this issue. My ear isn't acute as your and Jed's ear, but I haven't heard or measured (WT3 imedance plot) any issues in my Khans, and I currently only have the walls lined. I'm guessing Jim and the legends of Statement owners would also agree.
                                                Having a woofer on each "end" of the cabinet might help to cancel the standing waves inside it. I don't have an impedance wobble in the Lineup Maxx with the 4 woofers per side (woofers evenly distributed across the full height of the cabinet), but I do have to do some extra stuffing in the Mk2 with the pair of L16s mounted toward the top end of the cabinet.

I have seen John K.'s blog awhile ago. In my experience, I found the dampening is needed at the top and bottom of the cabinet. A fairly substantial amount too.

An interesting experiment would be to see how internal baffles (like some kind of closed transmission line) could eliminate the impedance/FR issues related to the standing waves inside the box, given only a pair of woofers mounted in a standard TMWW format.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Jed
                                                  An interesting experiment would be to see how internal baffles (like some kind of closed transmission line) could eliminate the impedance/FR issues related to the standing waves inside the box, given only a pair of woofers mounted in a standard TMWW format.
                                                  Most TLs are stuffed so it's not the baffles preventing the resonances, it's the stuffing.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by dlneubec
                                                    I don't recall what ET's project is, but have you considered the AE systems Lamda drivers? They are really excellent and while not cheap, they are certainly less than 2-SS 8" drivers. The TD12H, for example is about $260 each, when buying 1+, have an sd of about 530, 14mm xmax and can get into the mid 30's in a 50 liter box with about a 93db sensitivity. They are pretty flat out to 2khz and low distortion as well. They have a tremendous kick to them. I just came back from the Iowa DIY where during the lunch break we played these, (in my BaSSlines project), using music, not pink noise, with readings of 104db continous, 1 meter on axis, 110db peaks and they were still clean and not even moving much. They spec to 500w continous. John J. customs builds them all and I believe will even customize them to your needs to some degree.
                                                    Old-school-guy sez, if 8" is good, 12" is better and 15" is better yet. :B Plenty of 15" pro-style drivers (and especially those from AE) are good up into the lower midrange.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

The point for considering the 8" SS is to moderate the cabinet size- otherwise I'd just probably do two 12-680 Eton's, which is what the drivers in the Isis are based on. Quite pistonic cones to a moderately high frequency.

The SS have fairly longish travel for "just" woofers (9 mm), and moderate sensitivity and low distortion. The reason to use two 8's instead of one 10 is to get the voltage sensitivity up. They model pretty well in a 100 L enclosure, with box tuning of about 24-25 Hz.

On the topic of cabinet pipe resonance, I suspect the location of the driver along the cabinet has some significant influence; I'd expect the more asymmetrical the configuration, the more the issue. I haven't taken the time yet to model it with Martin King's software, I expect a clear understanding may be possible that way. With two drivers at opposite ends, I'd expect some cancellation of those effects.
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                        • Aug 2000

Jon,

Here are some measurements of mine in/on box. The spl is nearfield-farfield-port merged, with HBT applied. I believe the hump at 500hz is baffle related.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TD12H_NF_FF_portmerge.gif Views:	0 Size:	23.8 KB ID:	936614

Click image for larger version  Name:	TD12H-Z.gif Views:	0 Size:	25.4 KB ID:	936615
                                                        Thanks for the heads up- I'll take a look- that sensitivity and claimed extension in a 50 L cabinet almost sounds too good to be true. Unfortunately the PDF link is broken, that is, it comes up with a message that the PDF is not available, as the data isn't ready yet. The BL product must be rather high, as the quoted Qts is 0.19- in a reflex, that will generally model with the response in the Fs area down correspondingly. if they had published data, such as T/S parameters and SPL curves, I'd certainly try modeling it.

Did you record distortion plots at a standard output level?
                                                        Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:21 Monday. Reason: Update quote
                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                        Natalie P
                                                        M8ta
                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                        Isiris
                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                        Calliope
                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                        Modula PWB
                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                          Old-school-guy sez, if 8" is good, 12" is better and 15" is better yet. :B Plenty of 15" pro-style drivers (and especially those from AE) are good up into the lower midrange.
                                                          Um, yeah, but for response down to the mid 20's in a 100L cabinet? That isn't over about 13-14" wide? Yeah, unreasonable size preferences on my part. :W

Pro style drivers in big cabinets?

Been there, done that 10 years ago. :W

Click image for larger version  Name:	X1front.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.3 KB ID:	936701
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 13:37 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2002

AE T/S parameters: http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/vie...63ab3fa42b8260

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2002

Um, yeah, but for response down to the mid 20's in a 100L cabinet? That isn't over about 13-14" wide? Yeah, unreasonable size preferences on my part. :W

Pro style drivers in big cabinets?

Been there, done that 10 years ago. :W
                                                              Don't let ET hear that you prefer rebel-scum-sized speakers. :B

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                • Aug 2000

Yeah, we have to be careful about what information leaks to ET...
                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                Natalie P
                                                                M8ta
                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                Isiris
                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                Calliope
                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                                  Most TLs are stuffed so it's not the baffles preventing the resonances, it's the stuffing.
                                                                  I guess my analogy of the "closed transmission line" was a bit off. I'm thinking of a cabinet with multiple sub chambers to break up the standing waves in some sort of matrix design that has solid partitions and cutouts to force the rear wave into different path lengths with the cabinet walls lined ... 8O Alright just stuff the box, already.

Comment

• dlneubec
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Thanks for the heads up- I'll take a look- that sensitivity and claimed extension in a 50 L cabinet almost sounds too good to be true. Unfortunately the PDF link is broken, that is, it comes up with a message that the PDF is not available, as the data isn't ready yet. The BL product must be rather high, as the quoted Qts is 0.19- in a reflex, that will generally model with the response in the Fs area down correspondingly. if they had published data, such as T/S parameters and SPL curves, I'd certainly try modeling it.

Did you record distortion plots at a standard output level?
                                                                    No, I have not done any distortion measurements myself. I discovered the driver through Jeff Bagby and Jim Salk. They used it in Salk's Archos open baffle design. Jeff had given glowing reports of the driver and I trust Jeff completely. Then I heard the prototype speaker at InDIYana2008 and it knocked my socks off, so I decided to design something inspired by it, starting with the Lambda TD12H, but I used a different pro mid and tweeter than Salk used. Jeff used a maximally flat design for the woofer in 45L with an F3 of around 37 or 38 as I recall. I upped it to 52 liters and got the F3 modeled at around 35hz or so with a couple db dip at the bottom end. John J. will send you the TS parameters he measures on each driver he makes that can be used for modeling, if you ask for it.
                                                                    Salk Archos

Augerpro measured the TD12M recently, which is a strong indication of how the H version will perform, and has published them here: Driver Vault: Look under 12" and AE Lambda TD12M. His published HD sweep is here: TD12M HD Sweep
                                                                    Dan N.

Comment

• JonW
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2006

But now ET is playing with a pair of 8" SS, and while I think they'll work OK in his project, I'm wondering now if a dual 8" 8857 big brother to the Ardent with the C173N-T6-90 midrange wouldn't be interesting...
                                                                      Originally posted by Jed
                                                                      Having experienced the 10" Revelator scan speak with the C173n-T6-90, I think about the only thing that would be better is a pair of them on the low end. The 8"ers would make for a nice relatively compact solution, without giving up too much-- I would say.
                                                                      The SS have fairly longish travel for "just" woofers (9 mm), and moderate sensitivity and low distortion. The reason to use two 8's instead of one 10 is to get the voltage sensitivity up. They model pretty well in a 100 L enclosure, with box tuning of about 24-25 Hz.
                                                                      Gentlemen,

For a project a little ways down the road, I’m thinking about a spiffy 3 way. And my current favorite approach to handle the bottom end is with two of the 10” SS Revelators (8 ohm flavor) per side- to get as much bass as possible with as little distortion as possible. Other than the price (big ouch!) and the large cabinet volumes needed, might you agree that is a good way to go? I gather that the 8” SS and the 12” Etons are alternatives you’d consider. Thanks.

And Jon, the speakers look *gorgeous!* :T

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                        • Aug 2000

No, I have not done any distortion measurements myself. I discovered the driver through Jeff Bagby and Jim Salk. They used it in Salk's Archos open baffle design. Jeff had given glowing reports of the driver and I trust Jeff completely. Then I heard the prototype speaker at InDIYana2008 and it knocked my socks off, so I decided to design something inspired by it, starting with the Lambda TD12H, but I used a different pro mid and tweeter than Salk used. Jeff used a maximally flat design for the woofer in 45L with an F3 of around 37 or 38 as I recall. I upped it to 52 liters and got the F3 modeled at around 35hz or so with a couple db dip at the bottom end. John J. will send you the TS parameters he measures on each driver he makes that can be used for modeling, if you ask for it.
                                                                        Salk Archos

Augerpro measured the TD12M recently, which is a strong indication of how the H version will perform, and has published them here: Driver Vault: Look under 12" and AE Lambda TD12M. His published HD sweep is here: TD12M HD Sweep
                                                                        Interesting design with the Archos, but there's no way around Hoffman's Iron law- nice sensitivity for a low power tube amp, but -15 dB at 30 Hz with a steep fall off is not the target I have in mind. Usually I at least runs sims for LF alignment to determine suitability- without T/S parameters that's not feasible- do I understand you correctly that you have to buy the drivers to get T/S parameters?

I'm looking for 87 dB or so 4 pi sensitivity, but solid extension to the mid 20's, in about 100 L. For 90 dB sensitivity, I'd probably be looking at the Eton 12-680, based on how it models- it will roll off sooner, and need 140 L, but of course has more swept area. But the system would be larger than what I'd prefer. I'd post my Unibox models, but they're on the G5 workstation at home- I hadn't updated my travel laptop.
                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                        M8ta
                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                        Isiris
                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                        Calliope
                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• exojam
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2006

Jon,

I am not sure if you were referring to the AE T/S parameters, but if you were, you can find them at the below location.

James

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 15284

Originally posted by JonW
                                                                            Gentlemen,

For a project a little ways down the road, I’m thinking about a spiffy 3 way. And my current favorite approach to handle the bottom end is with two of the 10” SS Revelators (8 ohm flavor) per side- to get as much bass as possible with as little distortion as possible. Other than the price (big ouch!) and the large cabinet volumes needed, might you agree that is a good way to go? I gather that the 8” SS and the 12” Etons are alternatives you’d consider. Thanks.

Yeah, the only real drawback of the 10's (like the 28W/8867) (besides the cost) are the largish enclosures required for deep extension. I don't remember if I tried modeling dual 8867, but I think off the cuff you'd want north of 140 L- I should double check that just to be sure. I was hoping to avoid a box that size, but the 10's do work up pretty smooth to 1 kHz, enough to work OK with a Duelund alignment. So, I should look at those again just to be sure. As you might imagine, I'm looking for alignments that get close to what I modeled for the Aurasound 12 in 75 liters or so...

Name:	NS12A-76L_PlotS.jpg
Views:	3934
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	853810

In my experience these kinds of alignments produce the most satisfying and neutral in room performance if you're going with a ported design.

The Ardent doesn't match the low end extension, but I was just looking for 30 Hz, and in room with only moderate boundary lift below 50 Hz they should work out OK- they certainly are turning the trick in Tom's living room.

Name:	SeasERNX18-VentedDetail.PNG
Views:	4875
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	853811
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 09:49 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                            M8ta
                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                            Isiris
                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                            Calliope
                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jonasz
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2004
                                                                              • 852

The AE12H looks pretty good... :P

TD12M - 8ohm
                                                                              Fs: 38.1Hz
                                                                              Qms: 2.99
                                                                              Vas: 140L
                                                                              Cms: .35mm/N
                                                                              Mms: 50g
                                                                              Rms: 4kg/s
                                                                              Xmax: 6mm
                                                                              Sd: 531sqcm
                                                                              Qes: .27
                                                                              Re: 6.6
                                                                              Le: .2mH
                                                                              Z: 8ohm
                                                                              Bl: 17Tm
                                                                              Pe: 500W
                                                                              Qts: .25
                                                                              1W SPL: 96.5dB

TD12H- 8ohm
                                                                              Fs: 26.7 Hz
                                                                              Qms: 3.72
                                                                              Qes: 0.25
                                                                              Qts: 0.23
                                                                              Vas: 160 Liters
                                                                              Cms: 0.4 mm/N
                                                                              Mms: 88.6 grams
                                                                              Sd: 530 cm2
                                                                              Rms: 4.0 Kg/S
                                                                              Bl: 19.7 T/m
                                                                              Re: 6.5 ohms
                                                                              Z 8ohms
                                                                              Le 0.3 mH
                                                                              Pe (max) 500 Watts
                                                                              Pe (transient) 1000 Watts
                                                                              1WSpl: 92.9 dB
                                                                              Linear Xmax: 14 mm (peak)
                                                                              Mech Xsus: 18 mm (peak)

TD12X- 8ohm
                                                                              Fs: 34 Hz
                                                                              Qms: 2.93
                                                                              Qes: 0.31
                                                                              Qts: 0.28
                                                                              Mms: 55 grams
                                                                              Rms: 4 Kg/S
                                                                              Bl: 16.4 T/m
                                                                              Re: 7.2 ohms
                                                                              Z: 8 ohms
                                                                              Le: 0.3 mH
                                                                              Pe (max): 500 Watts
                                                                              Pe (transient): 1000 Watts
                                                                              1WSpl 94.9 dB
                                                                              Linear Xmax 14 mm (peak)
                                                                              Mech Xsus 18 mm (peak)

TD12S- 8ohm
                                                                              Fs: 31.5 Hz
                                                                              Qms 2.93
                                                                              Qes 0.38
                                                                              Qts 0.34
                                                                              Vas 160 Liters
                                                                              Cms 0.4 mm/N
                                                                              Mms 64 grams
                                                                              Sd 530 cm2
                                                                              Rms 4.0 Kg/S
                                                                              Bl 13.3 T/m
                                                                              Re 5.3 ohms
                                                                              Z 8 ohms
                                                                              Le 0.3 mH
                                                                              Pe (max) 500 Watts
                                                                              1WSpl 93.2 dB
                                                                              Linear Xmax 14 mm (peak)
                                                                              Mech Xsus 18 mm (peak)

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15284

Originally posted by exojam
                                                                                Jon,

I am not sure if you were referring to the AE T/S parameters, but if you were, you can find them at the below location.

James

http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/vie...338b9c0f0eecf0

That's interesting- now why do they have PDF icon links on the driver pages that don't work? I'll check the forum out- thanks.

~Jon
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 15284

Originally posted by Jonasz
                                                                                  The AE12H looks pretty good... :P

TD12M - 8ohm
                                                                                  Fs: 38.1Hz
                                                                                  Qms: 2.99
                                                                                  Vas: 140L
                                                                                  Cms: .35mm/N
                                                                                  Mms: 50g
                                                                                  Rms: 4kg/s
                                                                                  Xmax: 6mm
                                                                                  Sd: 531sqcm
                                                                                  Qes: .27
                                                                                  Re: 6.6
                                                                                  Le: .2mH
                                                                                  Z: 8ohm
                                                                                  Bl: 17Tm
                                                                                  Qts: .25
                                                                                  1W SPL: 96.5dB

TD12H- 8ohm
                                                                                  Fs: 26.7 Hz
                                                                                  Qms: 3.72
                                                                                  Qes: 0.25
                                                                                  Qts: 0.23
                                                                                  Mms: 88.6 grams
                                                                                  Rms: 4.0 Kg/S
                                                                                  Bl: 19.7 T/m
                                                                                  Re: 6.5 ohms
                                                                                  Z 8ohms
                                                                                  Le 0.3 mH
                                                                                  Pe (max) 500 Watts
                                                                                  1WSpl: 92.9 dB
                                                                                  Linear Xmax: 14 mm (peak)
                                                                                  Mech Xsus: 18 mm (peak)

TD12X- 8ohm
                                                                                  Fs: 34 Hz
                                                                                  Qms: 2.93
                                                                                  Qes: 0.31
                                                                                  Qts: 0.28
                                                                                  Mms: 55 grams
                                                                                  Rms: 4 Kg/S
                                                                                  Bl: 16.4 T/m
                                                                                  Re: 7.2 ohms
                                                                                  Z: 8 ohms
                                                                                  Le: 0.3 mH
                                                                                  Pe (max): 500 Watts
                                                                                  Pe (transient): 1000 Watts
                                                                                  1WSpl 94.9 dB
                                                                                  Linear Xmax 14 mm (peak)
                                                                                  Mech Xsus 18 mm (peak)

TD12S- 8ohm
                                                                                  Fs: 31.5 Hz
                                                                                  Qms 2.93
                                                                                  Qes 0.38
                                                                                  Qts 0.34
                                                                                  Vas 160 Liters
                                                                                  Cms 0.4 mm/N
                                                                                  Mms 64 grams
                                                                                  Sd 530 cm2
                                                                                  Rms 4.0 Kg/S
                                                                                  Bl 13.3 T/m
                                                                                  Re 5.3 ohms
                                                                                  Z 8 ohms
                                                                                  Le 0.3 mH
                                                                                  Pe (max) 500 Watts
                                                                                  1WSpl 93.2 dB
                                                                                  Linear Xmax 14 mm (peak)
                                                                                  Mech Xsus 18 mm (peak)

​​​​​​​

Leave it to the guy from Sweden to deliver the goods on the American drivers! :T
                                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:22 Monday. Reason: Update quote
                                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                                  M8ta
                                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                                  Isiris
                                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                                  Calliope
                                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jonasz
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2004
                                                                                    • 852

Leave it to the guy from Sweden to deliver the goods on the American drivers! :T
                                                                                    I actually have a couple of AE IB15 I will use for midbass in my dipoles. Fantastic build quality for the price! :P

AE IB15
                                                                                    Fs: 16Hz
                                                                                    Qms: 6.8
                                                                                    Vas: 439L
                                                                                    Cms: .45mm/N
                                                                                    Mms: 220g
                                                                                    Rms: 3.239
                                                                                    Xmax: 18.5mm
                                                                                    Xmech: 25mm
                                                                                    Sd: 830sqcm
                                                                                    Vd: 3.07L (p-p)
                                                                                    Qes: .78
                                                                                    Re: 5.5ohm
                                                                                    Le: .33mH
                                                                                    Bl:12.49
                                                                                    Qts: .7
                                                                                    1WSPL: 86dB
                                                                                    2.83V: 87.3dB

Physical dimensions:
                                                                                    Cutout hole: 14"
                                                                                    Outer diameter: 15.5"
                                                                                    Mounting Depth: 7.5"
                                                                                    Overall Depth: 8"
                                                                                    Weight: 19lbs

Comment

• Jed
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Apr 2005
                                                                                      • 3617

Originally posted by JonW
                                                                                      Gentlemen,

Dual 10s would be amazing. Even 1 sounds great IMO but you need more power to run it. Power is cheap these days. The Scan Speak 26W Revelators are the best I've tested. You can see those results on my website in the tests section. The Excel W26FX is very good as well. I might try the Nextel version at some point because it is more efficient. But as Jon alluded about some other design parameters, the limitation will be a larger box to get the extension below 30hz.

Jed

Comment

• JoshK
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2005
                                                                                        • 748

By the way, the H version is the woofer meant for more traditional vented alignments, S is intended more for sealed. The X is more of a midbass, not really intended for deep bass and the M for midrange where sensitivity is the ultimate goal, not xmax.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 15284

The secret decoder ring!

Thanks for the explanation, Josh! Alles klar!
                                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                                          M8ta
                                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                                          Isiris
                                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                                          Calliope
                                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JoshK
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                                            • 748

bitte

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"