• Show
Clear All
  • kimmosto
    • Dec 2006

2.0.69.0 (2021-05-16)

Convert IR to FR
    * Added Open session button.
    * Added Save session button.

This saves also chart settings and overlays within visible range in addition to IR file list and FFT analysis and Output settings.
    VituixCAD, Features, User manual, Measurements with CLIO, ARTA, REW, SoundEasy, Download

Comment

• kimmosto
      • Dec 2006

2.0.69.0 (2021-05-17) part II

Also properties of fixed traces in IR and FR charts are saved to FFT session file. Basically everything else expect Y max of IR chart and currently selected IR file.
      VituixCAD, Features, User manual, Measurements with CLIO, ARTA, REW, SoundEasy, Download

Comment

• fluid
        • May 2021

Originally posted by kimmosto
        More philosophical discussion; what is important, when (=what cases) and why, and what looks just overshoot in my or your opinion.
        Given the above I hope the following is within bounds. You wrote at diyaudio not too long ago about a stereo cardioid speaker being a good choice. I like the idea of giving this a try and the Genelec W371 has caught my eye. I already have two drivers which seem like they could work with this concept (Faital 15FH500 and Dayton RSS390HF). I plan get started simulating this in Vituix but I wondered if you had any tips for the active cardioid simulation or any philosophical thoughts on the different cardioid patterns and which might be good to aim for and why.

Comment

• kimmosto
          • Dec 2006

^I would prefer two front woofers and two side woofers over W371 concept to get wider cardioid frequence range. Just like lower half of Kii BXT's woofer section, but e.g. with 4x12" drivers for each speaker. Internal walls between front and side woofers could leak through damping material to enable smaller volumes.

Active filter looks like this. Delay for side woofers is produced simply with extra 2nd order low-pass filter which also reduces mid-range noise to back (to be more compatible with front wave). Directivity of cones attenuate HF noise to back. Low-pass for delay can also be 2nd order passive L+C.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cardioid-bass_side-woofers.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	866028
          Last edited by theSven; 04 April 2023, 21:06 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• nc535
            • Apr 2021

^I would prefer two front woofers and two side woofers over W371 concept to get wider cardioid frequence range. Just like lower half of Kii BXT's woofer section, but e.g. with 4x12" drivers for each speaker. Internal walls between front and side woofers could leak through damping material to enable smaller volumes.

Active filter looks like this. Delay for side woofers is produced simply with extra 2nd order low-pass filter which also reduces mid-range noise to back (to be more compatible with front wave). Directivity of cones attenuate HF noise to back. Low-pass for delay can also be 2nd order passive L+C.
            That is a compelling response even if it takes 4 drivers to reproduce but I must be copying it wrong. I don't see any horizontal asymmetries but I'm getting a lopsided horizontal directivity response. Only obvious difference in the sims is the woofer directivity; mine was simulated via diffraction tool and pnly has positive angles...?

[IMG]file:///D:/Audio/Projects/Reference%20System%20Configurations/Cardiod%20Woofer%20Box/Cardiod12s%20Directivity%20(hor).png[/IMG]

Comment

• nc535
              • Apr 2021

maybe this will work for the image

Name:	s2L-Q5bZ.png
Views:	1
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	866030

(edited by administrator... I attached the image to your post, as dropbox doesn't work with hot linked images)

Comment

• fluid
                • May 2021

^I would prefer two front woofers and two side woofers over W371 concept to get wider cardioid frequence range.
                Thanks, that is a well controlled response.

I have the Faital 15" driver to cross over to a horn above from 500 to 800Hz depending on prototype measurements. The directivity of the W371 intrigued me as it looks pretty well controlled up towards the horn crossover range but transitions back to monopole below 80Hz. This seemed like it could still be efficient at the lowest frequencies but improve room response interaction in the 200 to 500 Hz range.

Name:	Continued Directivity.png
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	866029

What do you think is the advantage or disadvantage between this and the side woofer scheme?

Using the 4 x 12 arrangement below the 15" woofer would be nice but it is a lot of extra drivers to purchase, food for thought.

P.S. nc535 your image doesn't show

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Hi nc535, I see you were having trouble with your image so I fixed it for you. For future reference, if you click "Go Advanced", then "Manage Attachments", you can upload images directly to the forum.

You can also use a site like imgur which allows hotlinking of images.

Comment

• kimmosto
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by nc535
                    ...but I must be copying it wrong.[/IMG]
                    Rotation R of upper side woofer D3 is +90 degrees (right) and lower side woofer D4 is -90 degrees (left).
                    Partial export 0...+180 deg from Diffraction tool works too. 'Mirror missing' must be on if drivers are rotated or tilted.

Comment

• kimmosto
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by fluid
                      What do you think is the advantage or disadvantage between this and the side woofer scheme?
                      Both - depending on targets and priorities Full range cardioid with direct radiators (or leaking) is very inefficient at LF, but more flexible for different rooms and positions due to lower room gain and possibly inverted rear wave as super-cardioid.

Comment

• nc535
                        • Apr 2021

Rotation R of upper side woofer D3 is +90 degrees (right) and lower side woofer D4 is -90 degrees (left).
                        Partial export 0...+180 deg from Diffraction tool works too. 'Mirror missing' must be on if drivers are rotated or tilted.
                        Thanks! I've got it now. Thinking about cardioid with smaller lighter drivers plus subs

Thanks also to admin for fixing my image.

Comment

• kimmosto
                          • Dec 2006

Thinking about cardioid with smaller lighter drivers...
                          That could enable also fixed internal wall between front and side woofers -> different drivers and volumes -> different HP frequency at LF to create transition to omni for the lowest octave. So large sealed front woofers should be okay also for omni sub if closed side woofers are smaller with higher cut-off.

Comment

• draki
                            • Oct 2012

Very often, a design with (relatively) flat In-room, ER and Power response shows a non-flat on-axis, at least IME. A typical 6-7" two way usually has a slight peak just below the Fc followed by a broad-ish and shallow valley after. Kind of a S-shaped curve, I am sure you know what I am describing here.
                            Obviously an ideal speaker would have all of them flat, but I am talking real-life, with imperfections due to many possible different reasons.
                            Hence this question: is it a good idea, and is it doable, to have an option of shaping the axial response target curve to other than straight line?

Comment

• Reet
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by draki
                              Very often, a design with (relatively) flat In-room, ER and Power response shows a non-flat on-axis, at least IME. A typical 6-7" two way usually has a slight peak just below the Fc followed by a broad-ish and shallow valley after. Kind of a S-shaped curve, I am sure you know what I am describing here.
                              Obviously an ideal speaker would have all of them flat, but I am talking real-life, with imperfections due to many possible different reasons.
                              Hence this question: is it a good idea, and is it doable, to have an option of shaping the axial response target curve to other than straight line?
                              You end up with an S curve as a result of differing directivity of each driver. With a fully "constant directivity" system you will be able to have constant slope to the response on all axis. Of course, with VituixCAD you can use any slope or curve as the target. You can generate any curve you like, load it as a file target in the optimizer. The pink target line will be replaced by the curve of the loaded file.
                              https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• kimmosto
                                • Dec 2006

is it a good idea, and is it doable, to have an option of shaping the axial response target curve to other than straight line?
                                Custom target as txt/frd file is possible as Reet wrote, but I wouldn't create S target for axial because final target is still flat or shallow tilt down. Weighting between SPL and Power&DI graphs defines the compromise - how error is distributed between the graphs. 50/50 % allows quite much S-curve in axial so axial=60% power=40% could be better in many cases when using automatic Optimizer.

Answer would be different if off-axis data is not available. Then you are forced to guess how much S-curve is needed in axial to get e.g. flat predicted in-room response. But that's heretical from the Middle Ages which is kinda forbidden here.

Comment

• draki
                                  • Oct 2012

Agreed with all points.
                                  For clarification, the question was more about the possibility of "shaping" the target curve directly, instead of importing externally created (which works, thanks for the tip, I have overlooked that!).
                                  Not saying that reshaping a flat target is beneficial or not, but it was a useful "what if" exercise nonetheless.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                    • Dec 2006

2.0.69.1 (2021-05-19)

Impulse response
                                    * Added Impulse response envelope (ETC) curve and checkbox.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                      • Dec 2006

Not saying that reshaping a flat target is beneficial or not, but it was a useful "what if" exercise nonetheless.
                                      Optimizer window is possible to enlarge for two PEQs and one shelf, but something inside me fights against this because bump or dip at mid-range should not be target (especially axial). Just a consequence of compromise. Of course we can think that also consequence should be controlled (by human) better than two weighting factors and iterator minimizing sum of squared error can do. Target file with unlimited number of bumps and dips is easy to build with crossover network in another VCAD session so basically everything is already available, but not instantly available with controls integrated in Optimizer.

Comment

• fluid
                                        • May 2021

That could enable also fixed internal wall between front and side woofers -> different drivers and volumes -> different HP frequency at LF to create transition to omni for the lowest octave. So large sealed front woofers should be okay also for omni sub if closed side woofers are smaller with higher cut-off.
                                        I also have 8 x Sica 5" drivers, would two of those on each side with the 15 on the front seem like a good idea? I bought them because they work well down to 100Hz in very small enclosures.

Comment

• Jack A Lope
                                          • May 2021

Hey Kimmosto I have a question. I have your software on two of my computers, a laptop running win 8.2 and my desktop running win 7. On my laptop all is good but I much prefer my desktop but there is a problem in the way the GUI is displayed. Some of the program is displayed truncated with parts of it inaccessible because it's outside of the viewable window and you can't make it any larger. This is especially prevalent with the SPL tracer tool where some of the data entry boxes aren't visible. Is this common or is there an easy fix?

Thanks for any help you can give.Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_001_20052021_030521.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	866031
                                          Last edited by Jack A Lope; 20 May 2021, 06:21 Thursday. Reason: add pic

Comment

• kimmosto
                                            • Dec 2006

2.0.70.0 (2021-05-20)

* Added optional Dash style for chart traces: Dash, DashDot, DashDotDot, Dot. Default is Solid.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Jack A Lope
                                              Is this common or is there an easy fix?
                                              I've seen that. I think it's display zooming which must be 100% on Win 7 and probably also Win 8. Win 10 is the first one where display zooming >100% actually works i.e. different Microsoft products support each other .NET Framework and operating system in this case.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                • Dec 2006

I also have 8 x Sica 5" drivers, would two of those on each side with the 15 on the front seem like a good idea?
                                                I believe it's doable - just like almost everything as fully active. Same driver model just enables simpler and more theoretical design without measurements and adjustments in large space because responses are identical. Just group delay with LP based on mechanical dimensions, and quick QC that it's close enough to super-cardioid.

Comment

• fluid
                                                  • May 2021

Just group delay with LP based on mechanical dimensions
                                                  Is there a formula or guideline to this to get in the ballpark?

Comment

• fluid
                                                    • May 2021

What would be the recommended measuring method for side firing drivers to use in Vituix for crossover and EQ simulation on a prototype?

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                      • Dec 2006

2.0.71.0 (2021-05-22)

* Overlay traces are initially dashed (---).
                                                      * Dark background is drawn to SVG exports when dark theme is selected. Enables viewing also with light (normal) themes.

Main
                                                      * Axis and trace settings of Power&DI chart are saved to project file (.vxp). Not overlays.
                                                      * Aspect ratio set in Options window forced on when exporting Power&DI and Directivity as line or area chart.

Convert IR to FR
                                                      * File format of FFT session file (.vxf) changed. Chart settings are not read from files saved with older revisions.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                        • Dec 2006

Is there a formula or guideline to this to get in the ballpark?
                                                        GD ~ sound flying time from vertical center line of front baffle to center of side woofer + some extra because also box diffraction causes some LP causing extra GD.
                                                        In my example distance is 350 mm i.e. 1 ms. 10% more due to diffraction would be 1.1 ms. That happens with Bessel 12 LP @ 250 Hz.
                                                        Last edited by kimmosto; 22 May 2021, 12:44 Saturday.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                          • Dec 2006

What would be the recommended measuring method for side firing drivers to use in Vituix for crossover and EQ simulation on a prototype?
                                                          Measurement instruction are valid for conventional radiators such as side woofers: measure single driver at least 0-180 deg, driver's axis = hor 0 deg not matter where it points in final construction.
                                                          Obvious problem is that you should be able to measure just one driver at a time. Other side should be silent in order to support individual multi driver rotation and location with driver instances in crossover schematic. I might build prototype box for a single front woofer and single side woofer, and create simulation with those two data sets.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                            • Dec 2006

2.0.71.1 (2021-05-23)

Convert IR to FR
                                                            * Added Invert checkbox. Changes polarity of impulse response.

Comment

• draki
                                                              • Oct 2012

A reality check question: when simulating a waveguided tweeter with Diffraction tool, is the driver diameter that of the dome or of the waveguide? What is correct?

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                • Dec 2006

Diffraction tool is able to simulate ideal flat circular or rectangular radiators. Nothing for wave guides and horns so they should be simulated with AKABAK or equivalent. Another option is to export directivity responses by measuring some actual wave guides and clone their directivity to some other driver.

Comment

• nc535
                                                                  • Apr 2021

Hi Kimmosto:
                                                                  I really appreciate the several hints on cardioid. That really seems the way to go.

Dare I ask for a couple of features/tweaks:
                                                                  * for those of us doing active speakers it would be great to be able to replace the Z graph with a directivity graph so we could see both H and V at once
                                                                  * I have be really careful not to be moving the mouse when clicking to select block so I can tune a parameter. It would help to require a 2nd click before block can be moved - click once to select, click again and hold down to move

Thanks,
                                                                  Jack

Comment

• Reet
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2007

I also have issue sometimes with components moving when I only intended to select them. It just needs some delay for click and hold for movement, minimum 200ms click duration for example before component is moved.
                                                                    https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                      • Dec 2006

Me too Dragging status was activated on mouse down which wouldn't be bad alone but there was also extra calculation when top selection was changed. That caused some delay to capturing of mouse up event so canceling of dragging status was delayed and component jumped. New build uploaded few minutes ago does not activate dragging before mouse has moved one snap, and extra calculation does happen if just selection changes. Should be faster and less jumpy.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                        Moderator
                                                                        • Dec 2006

* for those of us doing active speakers it would be great to be able to replace the Z graph with a directivity graph so we could see both H and V at once
                                                                        This is not a bad idea and you're not the first one who is asking, but modification has high risks because polar response data and settings for user interface are partly mixed. I'm not happy with current structures inherited from VCAD version 1 so I will try to separate data and UI settings primarily for personal reasons; to make program easier to understand and maintain. This will open some new possibilities to show the same data in multiple charts.

First (and maybe the last) aid for limits due to single graph has been available for a while. Click directivity chart to focus it and then hit space bar to toggle between vertical and horizontal plane.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                          Moderator
                                                                          • Dec 2006

Second directivity graph with full features is coming to next revision. It's already done but systematic testing takes some time because modification was huge.

Comment

• fluid
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • May 2021
                                                                            • 15

z

I don't know if something is wrong or if I am missing something but the directivity graph seems to have disappeared for me in the latest version. It is blank and when I right click on it to select polar chart or any other option it doesn't change. It is the same whether I have a driver loaded or not. I'm using Windows 10.

Name:	Polar Plot missing.jpg
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	866046

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                              Moderator
                                                                              • Dec 2006
                                                                              • 589

^Two possible reasons:
                                                                              1) 'Disabled' selected in context menu of directivity chart.
                                                                              2) Angle step = 0 deg in Options and no frequency responses loaded to Drivers tab.
                                                                              Angle step = 0 deg stands for "measured directions only" so empty response list is kinda logical problem, though initial flat response exists also without loaded data.

Comment

• fluid
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • May 2021
                                                                                • 15

^Two possible reasons:
                                                                                1) 'Disabled' selected in context menu of directivity chart.
                                                                                2) Angle step = 0 deg in Options and no frequency responses loaded to Drivers tab.
                                                                                Angle step = 0 deg stands for "measured directions only" so empty response list is kinda logical problem, though initial flat response exists also without loaded data.
                                                                                Line Chart is selected by default but I cannot select anything other than that or disabled. The power and DI works as expected when off axis angles are loaded

Name:	VituixLine.png
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	866047

The Angle is set to 10 in the options

Name:	Vituix Options.png
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	866048

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                  • Dec 2006
                                                                                  • 589

2.0.72.0 (2021-05-26)

Main
                                                                                  * Impedance chart can be replaced with second directivity chart e.g. to show both planes at the same time. Visible chart is selected with context menu.
                                                                                  * Polar chart overlays not deleted if chart type does not change.
                                                                                  * Added dashed line support to polar chart.
                                                                                  * Added legend to polar chart export as svg file.
                                                                                  * Aspect ratio set in Options window forced to Power&DI and Directivity exports as svg file.
                                                                                  * Added Hor/Ver plane to trace description of polar chart.
                                                                                  * Frequency scrollbar relocated to serve both polar charts as zoomed.

Convert IR to FR
                                                                                  * Added Bartlett, Blackman, Blackman-Harris, Blackman-Nuttall, Cosine, Hamming and Nuttall window functions.

This change was huge, but major bugs should not exist. Second directivity chart is full featured expect that settings are not saved to user config or project file. It starts as (disabled) Line chart with plane opposite to primary directivity chart. Other settings are program defaults.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                    • Dec 2006
                                                                                    • 589

but I cannot select anything other than that or disabled.
                                                                                    That sounds something I can't control. Win updates and reboots could help. Have you checked that file naming is okay i.e. angle parsing works?

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                      • Dec 2006
                                                                                      • 589

Found! User's angles are checked. Uncheck that if you have not listed custom angles to Options.

Comment

• fluid
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • May 2021
                                                                                        • 15

Found! User's angles are checked. Uncheck that if you have not listed custom angles to Options.
                                                                                        Thanks, that did the trick

Comment

• kimmosto
                                                                                          Moderator
                                                                                          • Dec 2006
                                                                                          • 589

Just uploaded new build of 2.0.72 which prevents that situation.
                                                                                          - Not possible to check 'User's off-axis angles' if both angle lists in Options are empty.
                                                                                          - Status of 'User's off-axis angles' is saved to and read from project file if angle lists contain something. This is for those who measure and simulate just custom angles, but nothing else.

Comment

• draki
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Oct 2012
                                                                                            • 37

Works here tooClick image for larger version

Name:	directivity.PNG
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	866049

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"