X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

NASB, or, "The Skinny Minnie"

I may get into a little bit of "trouble" for tipping my hand on this, but heck, soon everyone is going to be doing the Turkey Day and getting ready for the big year end holiday, so they won't even remember these hints dropped this afternoon in the middle of November...

Steve has "teased" me a bit from time to time that all I know how to do is design humongous speakers (guilty, sometimes), and wonders why I can't do a basic sound bar...

(of course, my response is, that if you need a soundbar, go to Best Buy, if you need an Ardent or something even more ambitious, come to HT Guide).

But center channel speakers are a peculiar subset for audio, and some recent events and minion efforts on my part have brought me to consider the wedding slogan for a CC- you know, something borrowed, something blue? (well, maybe not blue, not really one of my favorite colors).

But ET hasn't noticed that I've been cadging some info from his Kii inspired posts, and I have created a compendium of driver data and crossover concepts that seems to have some promise... including a much shorter CC configuration that still may sing pretty well for one of my own upcoming installations.

That's why I'm calling this the NASB (Not Another Sound Bar), or as shared recently with Steven and more or less approved by him, "The Skinny Minnie".

(what I didn't tell Steve is that my French connection send me some ODM Peerless parts by mistake that might even make possible a "TRSM" - I'll leave that for you quick wits to figure out what it means...) (no prizes, unfortunately )

​​​​​​​But a hint, on what the TSM could look like... based on early simulations with driver data.

Click image for larger version  Name:	W6-2313 1st Duelund SBS160 POC XO-SPL-1.png Views:	0 Size:	37.6 KB ID:	949906

All I want for Christmas this year, though, is wrapping up other commitments and getting back to the Saint-Saens...

​​​​​​​A new final assembly process is being tested for a new pair of 2522 MOD3 evaluation parts. But let's not go off topic... more tomorrow, in the right topic thread.

the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Well, it turns out that my French Connection is going to let me keep the drivers they mis-shipped, and issue a credit for what should have been shipped...

Why that is significant is that the driver they mis-shipped 4 of is the Peerless SDS-100F25CP09-04. And that is a prime candidate for the low end of a potential TSRM... 4" height, but with an Xmax of 5mm. And a half space response curve reminiscent of the SBS-160F35. Which is to say, baffle step comp for a small baffle built in. Now, a 2x2 array should have a net sensitivity approaching 90 dB. Let's allow for low buck crossover components, and call it 88 dB.

Now, just speculating, what if we combined that with the new Celestion baby coax (5") TFX0515? Three way crossed at 500Hz and 2500Hz? Duelund style?

Just thinking out loud here, not committing to anything... yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 6.35.01 AM.png
Views:	272
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	949918​​​​​​​
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Obi-Wan
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I think I am getting lazy in my more "mature" years, but also having some preference to simplify... and an updated concept for the Skinny Minnie that may or may not invoke the idea of Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams...

Anyway, thinking about how could I simplify this build, it occurred to me I could borrow from my last line array concept, to use woofers with full range drivers only brought in above 300 Hz, where they can really "sing" without getting stressed out... (this may still happen some day, though I sold my small collection of Anarchy's for this idea to Technodanvan).

So, let's ditch the idea proposed in the first post, and instead shift the NASB to a Peerless and TangBand combo... and take advantage of parts I have on hand! (this tosses the Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams- no Accuton drivers here!)

So, on hand? Hmmm, how about some SDS-100F25CP09 Peerless ODM woofer parts that I was shipped by mistake from my French Connection? Nice truncated frame, nice controlled response profile with a sort of built in baffle step compensation for a small enclosure, and smooth out to beyond 2kHz.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9713 SS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	669.8 KB ID:	951409

Now, for the mids and highs, simplify! Not a coax, but a full range.... Mmm, maybe something like one of those weird Tangband parts with an underhung motory and really linear Bl, for lower distortion, with one of their bamboo cones (Steve and I are fans of bamboo, so many things you can do with it!) and throw in an unusual phase diffuser design to aid the off axis HF performance...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 11.44.48 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	562.3 KB ID:	951410

Funny think, while looking at Full ranges on line, I kept thinking to myself, these kind of look familiar!

Happenstance, while looking for some parts for the Saint-Saëns in the back workroom closet, raise my eyes, and what do I discover on the shelf...

Name:	IMG_9711.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	951411

Let's say, if we want to punch a bit more SPL, we use two of the Peerless on each side. The truncated frame may aid the spacing a bit... have to investigate that.

I'll have tp check with the bosses, the Chancellor and ET, but maybe this can get slotted in after the Kii inspired towers are done... could be handy for a compact center channel to work with them in the living room, for example.

the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Obi-Wan
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• technodanvan
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

A really inexpensive part to pair with a top-of-the-line (at least in price) fullrange? Sounds interesting to me. Only problem is, the French connection only has three dozen left in stock!

- Danny

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Well, I have 4 already, enough for 1 cc built- if I get 4 more, that leaves about 30 for you- should be just enough?

🤣
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

BTW, for anyone for whom this is not obvious, a series parallel array of the little Peeress woofers will have the same impedance as one of them, but 6 dB more sensitivity.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

And besides, the original concept above was for the 6" Peerless woofer that they have over 120 of- the SBS-160F35AL01.

Name:	SBS Woofer.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	951424

Now, ya gotta admit this part is pretty darn cute...

It would take a bit of massaging to get everything worked out, but NBD...

Name:	SBS-160 QNF.png
Views:	95
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	951425
              But it's kind of like having baffle step built in, when you measure it in a moderate size enclosure even...

Name:	SBS-160 Polar 2M.png
Views:	94
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	951426

In the CC size baffle, this might work out even better... And I've got 4 extra ones, too...

The nominal 100Hz sensitivity for 4 should be 90 dB before baffle step. Oh, and this does have an Xmax of 10.5mm.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• technodanvan
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

A little extra excursion never hurt anyone, right? Those do look nice and I did think about them on my last order...but I don't think I'll be making anything with them, sadly.
                - Danny

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  JonMarsh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, when the Saint-Saëns are done, ET says he's let me help him get the Kii inspired "compact" towers built, I think they're destined as a small living room system. So you can see how these puppies work out.
              Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"