Question about inductors

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Luke
    Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 30

    #1

    Question about inductors

    Hello

    I've seen something unusual and ask for explanation.
    Scroll down and at right, take a look at the crossover in bottom part of this Ohm speaker.
    There are two identical stacked air cored inductors.
    Here is the picture :



    Why is this? how does it works? What happens with inductors values?
    And above all what are the compromises if any?
    Thanks!

    Luke
  • chrisn
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2007
    • 175

    #2
    The link doesn't go to any specific image when I click on it. If i were to guess on the reasoning: They didn't know it was an issue, they didn't care it was an issue, or they did it to get away with a smaller inductor value, presuming the value increases due to proximity of the other coil, for a small cost saving.

    Comment

    • Reet
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 825

      #3
      For audio frequencies you can expect that stacking inductors to have no benefit over a single larger inductor. For commercial speakers the selection is most likely cost related, so that the manufacturer can order a higher volume of a single part value to reduce costs.

      There is "sectional inductors" which have separated windings to reduce parasitic capacitance, but these are generally for RF and PWM application, not for audio frequencies.
      I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

      Comment

      • Luke
        Member
        • Sep 2008
        • 30

        #4
        Thanks guys.
        Luke

        Comment

        Related Topics

        Collapse

        • IllNastyImpreza
          What value Inductor for simple lowpass @ 100hz ?
          by IllNastyImpreza
          I've got some bass shakers, 4 OHMs. frequency responce of 20-100hz

          What value Inductor can I use to make a simple lowpass at 100 hz ??

          should I go with 100 or maybee little lower due to the narrow slope ??
          19 March 2008, 15:21 Wednesday
        • Roland
          Inductor interference what to do?
          by Roland
          Hi all, this is my first post on this very informative forum.

          How it all started: searching for a strange distortion in my mid driver i heard interference from my bass inductor (iron core) ending up in my mid speakers via the parallel notch inductor (iron core) of the mid speakers. ...
          19 January 2006, 15:01 Thursday
        • JonMarsh
          Foil Coils or plain ole wire?
          by JonMarsh
          One of the recurring questions that seems to be of interest to speaker builders is the matter of copper foil coils- does it make a difference, and is it worth the cost?

          Well, first off, I'll be the first one to say, "Well, try it, listen to them in your own projects....see what you...
          07 September 2003, 20:01 Sunday
        • ligonk
          Issues with C-Coil inductors from Jantzen
          by ligonk
          I am using some C-Coil inductors from Jantzen for my Modula TMM build. Them, along with every other inductor and part get measured prior to using them in my crossover. Every other inductor i have measured in the past ends up being ever so slightly above the stated inductance, which is great because...
          16 August 2014, 23:20 Saturday
        • crisscross
          Mark's ER18 build- help needed with inductors
          by crisscross
          Hey guys,

          Re this thread last December, It took me 8 months to get the drivers and crossover parts for my build and I am finally ready to build!

          The only thing missing is the Inductors, the weight of the Inductors made shipping prohibitively expensive (I live in India)...
          25 August 2010, 22:29 Wednesday
        • Loading...
        • No more items.
        Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

          Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

          Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"