X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Srixon
    Not sure, but it fits in this thread. Download "Nanook Rubs It" from Frank Zappa's 1974 album, Apostrophe, and play it through those beasts and you'll hear it. Great looking speakers.
    It would be Frank Zappa now wouldn't it.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• cochinada
      • May 2014

I wonder... now that the hole is gone, would a wood wall filled with some acoustic material be a good solution for this now naked wall behind the couch?
      Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
      DIY subwoofers.
      Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

As I mentioned earlier, when a room such as yours forced me to have my listening position against the wall I found that an absorber behind me helped sound quality. With an open wall you have the beginnings of an absorber. If you can cover fiberglass with something acoustically transparent, you have a big absorber. Even if you must use drywall I would stuff the cavities to help damp any vibrations of the drywall. My Dad's house was built that way and sounds better than open interior walls.

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

I'm going to offer a different solution. I've seen many professionals recommend absorption on the front wall but that the wall behind the listener be diffusion in order to increase the sound field.

You can buy or build. I've seen people build something like this first google hit:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	930803

I'm sure there are white papers around on it. Maybe check Toole's book.
          Last edited by theSven; 26 March 2023, 12:45 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Ryan, I think that would be a better solution if there was more depth behind the couch. With just a few inches you're only going to get the very top end. Absorbtion on the back wall is definitely a non standard solution but it worked for me.

If you don't have it yet, look for "The Master Handbook of Acoustics" available as a free download or hard copy for a price. It discusses diffuser design and general room treatments.

Comment

• cochinada
              • May 2014

Yes, the couch is leaning against the wall so there is very little room or no room at all behind it. The front wall as it has my TV mounted on it will also pose an obstacle for any acoustic treatment. After all I cannot cover the screen.

I will take a look at that book "The Master Handbook of Acoustics". The problem nowadays is that with so much things to do one has very little time to do anything.

Regarding that strange 3D sculpture sort of thing I 'accidentally' found a site with some mathematical formulas for calculating the exact shape of it based on the frequency range to treat and overall dimension if I'm not mistaken. It is a relatively simple DIY job for those with some skills.

Meanwhile I've sent the plant of my room to this guy that is an acoustic engineer and he will come to my place and take some proper measurements before I decide what to do next.
              Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
              DIY subwoofers.
              Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• BobEllis
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

That's a great approach.

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by BobEllis
                  Ryan, I think that would be a better solution if there was more depth behind the couch. With just a few inches you're only going to get the very top end. Absorbtion on the back wall is definitely a non standard solution but it worked for me.

If you don't have it yet, look for "The Master Handbook of Acoustics" available as a free download or hard copy for a price. It discusses diffuser design and general room treatments.
                  Good point. I was trying to be non-definitive. As I haven't built or installed diffusion myself, I was not trying to portry myself as an expert. I was just offering more options to research.

I got the Master Handbook of Acoustics fr Christmas. I've only had a chance to skim it. Looks like a lot of good / practical information. But like most books and whitepapers, I think it will take a lot of work/experimentation to translate square room theory into real word construction.
                  - Ryan

Comment

• BobEllis
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                    ...it will take a lot of work/experimentation to translate square room theory into real word construction.
                    Isn't that the truth.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                      • Dec 2006

I have a room that is similar to yours in that I have an opening over my left shoulder as well. Though I do not have my seat all the way against the wall. I had been working with GIK Acoustics with the intent of getting some of their products for my room. As Bob suggested, they also recommended getting a 2' X 4' X 4" absorber panel to sit on top of my dvd rack to balance things out with the opening on the other side. Have not had the option to try it out yet to see how it would work.

Name:	DSC_1448_resize.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	861442

Name:	DSC_1451_resize.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	861443
                      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

I'm curious, did you do any before and after near-field measurements?
                        - Ryan

Comment

• cochinada
                          • May 2014

I'm curious, did you do any before and after near-field measurements?
                          With and without the grill, you mean? No I didn't. I don't expect any audible change but perhaps I should take some measures.
                          Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                          DIY subwoofers.
                          Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

Yes with and without the grill. I've read there isn't an audible change. I'm always skeptical and like data. I haven't seen graphs (though I haven't really searched them out). Your project has been so thorough that I thought it might be something you did. No worries. You don't need to in order to satisfy my curiosity.
                            - Ryan

Comment

• cochinada
                              • May 2014

Yes with and without the grill. I've read there isn't an audible change. I'm always skeptical and like data. I haven't seen graphs (though I haven't really searched them out). Your project has been so thorough that I thought it might be something you did. No worries. You don't need to in order to satisfy my curiosity.
                              No worries. I will take the data (as soon as I overcome this inertia), because I'm curious too.
                              Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                              DIY subwoofers.
                              Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• augerpro
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by cochinada
                                Regarding that strange 3D sculpture sort of thing I 'accidentally' found a site with some mathematical formulas for calculating the exact shape of it based on the frequency range to treat and overall dimension if I'm not mistaken. It is a relatively simple DIY job for those with some skills.
                                What was the site?
                                ~Brandon 8O
                                Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                DriverVault
                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• cochinada
                                  • May 2014

Originally posted by augerpro
                                  What was the site?
                                  This one, it has also a link to a BBC study:

...and this other one is interesting as well:

Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                  DIY subwoofers.
                                  Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• cochinada
                                    • May 2014

Well... I have bad news. As if it was not bad enough already to have to live with all the gaps and faults it seems that my carpenter didn't seal or stabilize the BB so well as now I have those nasty cracks as well
                                    I just noticed this about a month ago or so and have no idea if they are still increasing. Curiously enough, I only have cracks on the bottom boxes and even more strange (or not) on roughly the same places. I will post a couple of pictures latter on for you to see.
                                    Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                    DIY subwoofers.
                                    Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                      • Dec 2006

Well... I have bad news. As if it was not bad enough already to have to live with all the gaps and faults it seems that my carpenter didn't seal or stabilize the BB so well as now I have those nasty cracks as well
                                      I just noticed this about a month ago or so and have no idea if they are still increasing. Curiously enough, I only have cracks on the bottom boxes and even more strange (or not) on roughly the same places. I will post a couple of pictures latter on for you to see.
                                      That so sucks ...... had the same thing happen with mine. It's a painful way to learn about wood movement. Is it fixable?

Comment

• ---k---
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2005

That sucks. I'm starting to wonder if it is even possible to seal/stabilize a translam project of this size to avoid these problems or are they inevitable.
                                        - Ryan

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                          • Dec 2006

That sucks. I'm starting to wonder if it is even possible to seal/stabilize a translam project of this size to avoid these problems or are they inevitable.
                                          Hey Ryan ..... after I had mine crack I did a lot of research online into the issue. First, I was rather surprised by how much the BB actually moves over time, I thought it was a lot more stable. That being said, sealing it helps but will not stop it it completely. I think the biggest part is learning to work with it and not constrain the layers from moving. What I found in most cases where these projects crack and what I did myself, is we glue the baffles, backs, sides, what ever, in place across the lamination's. This "try's" to prevent the wood from moving ....... not.

If you look at say what Magico did when they used BB with the aluminum baffels and backs for their cabinets ..... they had o-rings in the baffels and backs and the two were bolted together as a unit. That way they floated independent to the wood portion of the cabinet. That way the BB could breath as needed without cracking.

This is of course all conjecture on my part, but I don't think I'm too far off.

Steve

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                            • Dec 2006

This is how I fixed mine ...... you can hardly see where it happened. With the edges taped up just fill the seem with 5 minute epoxy. When it dried I used the smaller of the scrapers shown and smoothed the epoxy. You might have to do several coats of the epoxy until it levels. Pull the tape and buff the surface.

Name:	IMG_0432_resize.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	862385

Name:	IMG_0433_resize.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	862384

Name:	IMG_0436_resize.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	862383

Name:	DSC_2190_resize.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	862386

Name:	IMG_0438_resize.JPG
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	862382

Comment

• cochinada
                                              • May 2014

Thanks a lot Steve. :T I wish I had you expert craftsmanship skills but I will definitely give it a try. I'm just thinking if wouldn't be better to wait some more time until it hopefully stabilizes before attempting to fix it or should I tackle it right away? What do you think?
                                              Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                              DIY subwoofers.
                                              Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                • Dec 2006

Thanks a lot Steve. :T I wish I had you expert craftsmanship skills but I will definitely give it a try. I'm just thinking if wouldn't be better to wait some more time until it hopefully stabilizes before attempting to fix it or should I tackle it right away? What do you think?
                                                Just go at it slowly and take it a bit at a time and you should be fine. Keeping the painters tape in place while you scrap not only protects the surrounding area, but it will also give you a good indicator if your getting too aggressive in what your taking off. Chances are the built up stress has released itself. Since I fixed my cabinet I have not had an issue with it again. Also it only happened to one cabinet and not the other.

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• TEK
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Oct 2002

Can it be that the translam and front panel expand/compresses at different rates, and due to this you get stress in the joints between the front baffel and the box?
                                                  As the translam has quite a different structure than the front panel I would suspect that they expand at different rates, then you get stress and finally cracks.

If that is the cause the cracks is likely to be caused by either the front baffel expanding more than the translam, or that the translam is compressing.
                                                  The first thing I'm wondering about then is if this is something that is caused by the wood setteling into a new stable state, or if it is caused by changes in how try the air is.
                                                  As these are quite new I would expect it to be quite a good change that this is due to the wood/glue in the translam drying out and the transam compressing due to this. If that is the cause it should stabilize when the wood is dried out.
                                                  If this is caused by air humidity the translam will expand again when the air gets more moist. Maybe that extra length added by the gule will not be a problem even if the translam expands a bit - but it might be worth thinking about.

If my hypothesies is correct then I think the only way to awoid this would be to disconnect the baffel from the side/back of the speaker to allow for wood moements.
                                                  I saw one that had similar problems, but even worse. He had used metal roods that he had stacked the translam on and fastened those into the metal. As the metal and the wood extract/compress at different raites. That again caused the translam to break up the same way as you experience.
                                                  -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2006

I imagine if you used something like LBL that's more stable than the birch ply most people use it wouldn't be a problem. Granted that's a lot more money than cabinet grade 13 ply.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Hdale85
                                                      I imagine if you used something like LBL that's more stable than the birch ply most people use it wouldn't be a problem. Granted that's a lot more money than cabinet grade 13 ply.
                                                      It's one of the main reasons we went with lbl when we made the Minerva's.

Comment

• Browncoat
                                                        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by TEK
                                                        As the translam has quite a different structure than the front panel I would suspect that they expand at different rates, then you get stress and finally cracks.
                                                        I agree. I think the lamination is moving more than the other panels, because wood mostly moves perpendicular to the grain. Measuring perpendicular to the grain on those laminations is well over a foot, I'd guess? Even if it only moved 0.010" per inch, that's still about a quarter inch of movement every two feet.

In any case, I'm still in awe of this project. Like somebody else pointed out, blazing a trail isn't easy!

Comment

• cochinada
                                                          • May 2014

Interesting theories indeed and they make all the sense. I'm just wandering, why didn't the top boxes show any sign of cracking if the construction is exactly the same? The only thing it comes to my mind is that the ones at the bottom support all the weight but even so I don't know how crucial this might be...

Yes lbl was an option I considered at some point, namely a sandwich of BB and MDF but I was only thinking about damping/absorption advantages as I didn't know this technique is more stable in terms of would expansion. If I new better at the time I would have probably gone for it at least on all exterior panels but I don't know if this would have prevented or minimize my problem. Bamboo I had to let it go because here it costs about 4x the price of BB. 8O

I certainly hope this was caused by the wood/glue drying out and not by exterior moisture. It's not that I live in Singapore as Mike does although I do have a river nearby. :roll:
                                                          Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                                          DIY subwoofers.
                                                          Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• cochinada
                                                            • May 2014

Originally posted by Browncoat
                                                            I agree. I think the lamination is moving more than the other panels, because wood mostly moves perpendicular to the grain. Measuring perpendicular to the grain on those laminations is well over a foot, I'd guess? Even if it only moved 0.010" per inch, that's still about a quarter inch of movement every two feet.
                                                            Way over. More like two feet...

Originally posted by Browncoat
                                                            In any case, I'm still in awe of this project. Like somebody else pointed out, blazing a trail isn't easy!
                                                            Thanks. A friend of mine never misses the chance to say I was crazy and this was a very ambitious project.
                                                            Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                                            DIY subwoofers.
                                                            Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• dsrviola
                                                              • Oct 2007

This makes me wonder about my translams. Unfortunately my curiosity would require me to remove the veneer to see the BBirch underneath. THAT'S not gonna happen! Fortunately (on the other hand) the enclosure is for a tweeter and upper mid driver and not a woofer.

Comment

• cochinada
                                                                • May 2014

Originally posted by dsrviola
                                                                This makes me wonder about my translams. Unfortunately my curiosity would require me to remove the veneer to see the BBirch underneath. THAT'S not gonna happen! Fortunately (on the other hand) the enclosure is for a tweeter and upper mid driver and not a woofer.
                                                                Do you have pictures or a thread of your own? I'm curious to see this. In my case on one hand I was 'lucky' that I went for a varnish finishing so I can see all these problems. If I don't fix this soon my cabinets will eventually become vented instead of sealed.
                                                                Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                                                DIY subwoofers.
                                                                Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• cochinada
                                                                  • May 2014

Originally posted by Steve Manning
                                                                  This is how I fixed mine ...... you can hardly see where it happened. With the edges taped up just fill the seem with 5 minute epoxy. When it dried I used the smaller of the scrapers shown and smoothed the epoxy. You might have to do several coats of the epoxy until it levels. Pull the tape and buff the surface.
                                                                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]26543[/ATTACH]
                                                                  Hi Steve, I can find only transparent epoxy here. How did you tint yours?
                                                                  Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                                                  DIY subwoofers.
                                                                  Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                    • Dec 2006

Hi Steve, I can find only transparent epoxy here. How did you tint yours?
                                                                    I just went with the clear stuff and it was close enough. If you want to tint it you could try something like this stuff which I've used on wood filler before. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/147...tones-set.aspx It can mix with just about anything.

Comment

• TEK
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2002

I suspect that you can "tint" it by mixing in some sawdust as well if you need to.
                                                                      But you will probably get a good result by just using clear epoxy as well.
                                                                      -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2005

Adding birch sawdust tends towards a dark brown putty. Nice for sticking things together that don't fit perfectly and are going to be painted but not so much for a clear finish. I used that method to make my Ardent bases and install braces in a quick subwoofer. Better to use trans-tint dyes if color is needed.

Comment

• knowledgebass
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2013

Clear epoxy will pick up tint from the adjacent plys. Use a cabinet scraper to flatten it after to save on dust mess (or wet sand). Here's my post from a couple years ago. It's a long one but the relevant stuff is near the bottom of the post.
                                                                          By request, this one's for Jagman. Fronts (the Ansonica) Max total height, 36" Use the new Exodus Anarchy (http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=538&Cid=8fe101b6566991f36afc6afb0bc89054), to be a 2.5way TMM. Surrounds (the Marsala): Use what I learned on my own surrounds Selected

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2005
                                                                            • 1609

Back home, so here's a shot of clear epoxy with birch sawdust mixed in to thicken. Not what you want on a top coat.

Name:	IMG_3473.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	862390

Comment

• cochinada
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2014
                                                                              • 658

Thank you guys for all your help and valuable tips! I will use the epoxy as it is, that is, transparent.
                                                                              BTW do you think it might drip if I apply it to the speaker as it is, that is in a vertical position?
                                                                              Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                                                              DIY subwoofers.
                                                                              Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2005
                                                                                • 1609

It will run. You might try a hair dryer to warm it up and speed up the gel time once you've applied it. Practice on scrap first to see if it works for you.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                  • Dec 2006
                                                                                  • 1891

Yep, I hate to say it, but laying the speaker on it's side would be your best best, though understandably not easy with what they weigh.

Comment

• knowledgebass
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2013
                                                                                    • 159

Careful warming the epoxy. It will make the epoxy significantly less viscous. This is good to get the glue down into the crack, bad because it can run through. Warming will also help remove gas bubbles.
                                                                                    I used a toothpick to apply a thin line over the crack and a heat gun to help it flow deep into the crack, making tape to help dam it where I wanted it to stay. If you apply more epoxy during the gel period, usually 24-48 hours for a long set epoxy, it will bond chemically, no need to sand to help the bond.

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                                      Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                                      • Sep 2009
                                                                                      • 1671

Warming will also speed up the curing process so if you're going to go that route you definitely need to use a long set type.
                                                                                      What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                        • Dec 2006
                                                                                        • 1891

If it were me I would remove the driver that give me the best access to the crack, tape the crack on the inside of the cabinet with painters tape to act as dam. Lay the cabinet on it's side, tape the offending area and fill the crack with epoxy. Let it cure and top off the crack if required with another round of epoxy. Scrape smooth and away you go. No heat gun, no runs ....... a bit of a PIA, yes, just my $.02.

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                                          Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                                          • Sep 2009
                                                                                          • 1671

Oh I thought the cabinet was going to be laid on its side to do this...but what Steve says. Also depending on how well the epoxy flows you could also inject it into the crack using a syringe and fine needle.

Comment

• cochinada
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • May 2014
                                                                                            • 658

Well since I'm a bit lazy for certain things I'm still gaining momentum for performing this operation. The shear though of having to lay down these beasts takes any enthusiasm out of me so this idea of the syringe is most interesting.

Anyway I've ordered this new set of spike base pads to replace the ones that came with the Viablue that are too small in my opinion.
                                                                                            These are much larger at 49x12mm comparing with 11x3mm so I expect to be much easier to move the speakers around which right now it's an impossible task. As soon as they arrive I'll tackle this for sure. It's decided.

Also today I went to customs to pick up my replacement tweeters because I was tired of waiting. Interesting is the SPL vs Freq the manufacturer sent me. For those that are curious and want to compare, here are the curves of both pairs.
                                                                                            They are fairly similar although this new pair looks a little less flat between 5kHz and 8KHz.

old:

Image not available

new:

Image not available
                                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 20 June 2023, 21:33 Tuesday. Reason: Remove broken image links
                                                                                            Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                                                                            DIY subwoofers.
                                                                                            Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"