Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ColoradoTom
    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
    Thank you very much- there's never a good time of year for something like this, but I think the timing makes it just that much harder and more stressful. Some of our holiday plans will just have to be set aside, but some things should go on for continuity and distraction, I think...

Looks like an "interesting" learning curve, (like the old Chinese curse, "may you live in interesting times", but hopefully my knowledge of Wave Editor (it's predecessor) will help.

Primary use is digital file capture over my RME Fireface from the modified SACD players (Vanity cards using a custom FPGA to convert DSD to 24/176.4 PCM) and conversion to AIFF files or FLAC for music sever.

If that sounds like hardware based SACD ripping, well, hand you a cigar! :B

~Jon
    Jon,

Sorry to hear about your girlfriends loss. I lost a close personal friend before the Holidays last year and it made for a bad/good experience in that we mourned the loss but spent time remembering/cherishing his friendship through the years.

On an audio note, I've been using a Sony PS3 with modified firmware to extract the SACD layer to an ISO and then using another piece of software on the PC to convert files in the ISO into high resolution PCM files to my server using Korg AudioGate. Sounds really nice and allowed me to get the high resolution files as well as backup SACDs that are out of print and demanding a fortune to purchase.

Dual opposed subwoofer project has been on hold but I will be working on it over Christmas... I'll start a new thread to document the process.

Oh... got a new toy. A Smyth Research Realiser A8 for headphone listening. Check it out: smyth-research.com

Tom

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Irons in the fire

Hi Tom- glad to see you have some audio irons in the fire this season!

I'm thinking about a similar concept subwoofer for my GF's, I've got so many drivers in storage- including a pair of meaty Blueprint 12's. But I may put something simpler together using some PE cabinets on hand just to test out the Hypex DS 4.0 they have at Madisound.

I've heard about the PS3 ISO extraction- what kind of bit depth and sample rate do you wind up with after conversion?

I just bought one of the last Cambridge BD651's to take to the GF's and get back the Oppo BDP93 so I can finally install the AudioPraise card I picked up last spring in Prague; it's a plug and play replacement for the normal analog output board, no soldering or wiring required! But it's a good thing I picked up the BDP93 last spring, because they aren't available anymore, either!

I'll check out that headphone system. For now, my next planned upgrade is the TotalDAC D2 (balanced), should be getting that on order early next month from France; the paper work is a little bit of a hassle because it isn't FCC cleared yet, but we have a way to get it through.

Have a VERY Merry Holiday with your family, and wishing you the best for the upcoming year!
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Sort of a sad day today- took apart the Modula Xtremes, salvaging the midranges for the Isiris mLBL and the woofers for who knows what (possibly a thee way with Kef Q100 drivers or as the bottom end to the revised Nascent- that would be lot closer to completion!). Also saving some crossover parts for reuse, particularly Clarity MR caps (muy expensive!).

More fiddly bits work in progress for the top modules and bass modules. This part seems to go slow, but I'm getting close to being able to do some measurements with one cabinet soon. Maybe on the weekend.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ColoradoTom
          • Feb 2006

Hi Tom- glad to see you have some audio irons in the fire this season!

I'm thinking about a similar concept subwoofer for my GF's, I've got so many drivers in storage- including a pair of meaty Blueprint 12's. But I may put something simpler together using some PE cabinets on hand just to test out the Hypex DS 4.0 they have at Madisound.

I've heard about the PS3 ISO extraction- what kind of bit depth and sample rate do you wind up with after conversion?

Have a VERY Merry Holiday with your family, and wishing you the best for the upcoming year!

I convert to a FLAC at 176/24 based on this article: https://www.hdtracks.com/files/DSD_to_LPCM.pdf
          Sounds really nice!!

Merry Holiday to you as well!!

Tom!

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

More good news...

Well, that's basically what the AudioPraise board does in a custom FPGA; some pretty careful work was done to minimize the ultrasonic noise output; it can be set to 88 kHz or 176.4 kHz sampling rates, at 24 bit output.

More good news on the tooling front- the Dewalt D27905 Dust Extractor vacuum arrived; it's been on sale a few places recently (for far less than the going price at places like Sears), including Woodcraft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dewalt-vac-1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	941464

It's got a pretty good rep, so for a little over $200, I expect it will be a good value. Need it for the finishing work.

Just the initial unboxing reveals very high build quality and design- I think I'm going to like using this!
            Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 10:31 Friday. Reason: Update image location
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ColoradoTom
              • Feb 2006

More good news...

Well, that's basically what the AudioPraise board does in a custom FPGA; some pretty careful work was done to minimize the ultrasonic noise output; it can be set to 88 kHz or 176.4 kHz sampling rates, at 24 bit output.

More good news on the tooling front- the Dewalt D27905 Dust Extractor vacuum arrived; it's been on sale a few places recently (for far less than the going price at places like Sears), including Woodcraft.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dewalt-vac-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.6 KB ID:	941464

It's got a pretty good rep, so for a little over $200, I expect it will be a good value. Need it for the finishing work.

Just the initial unboxing reveals very high build quality and design- I think I'm going to like using this!

I've turned into the Festool King:

Both Festool Domino's - XL (large) and Original (mini-me)
              Dust Extractor
              Kapex sliding compound miter saw
              Orbital sander
              Jigsaw
              Both plunge saws - TS75 (large) and TS55 (mini-me)
              Cordless Drill
              Plunge Router

Santa and the Birthday Fairy have been good to me over the years! My productivity has increased by 30% minimum!

Tom
              Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 10:43 Friday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Yeah, I go in and drool over the Festool stuff at Woodcraft from time to time- oddly, when I did a spec comparison for what I needed for the dual bevel compound saw, the DeWalt DWS760 had somewhat better (and important to me ) capabilities. But I hear you... it's like the next step up from Bosch and Hitachi.

Though some people wouldn't believe this, I'm still trying to do things on a budget... sort of!
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                  • Feb 2006

Yeah, I go in and drool over the Festool stuff at Woodcraft from time to time- oddly, when I did a spec comparison for what I needed for the dual bevel compound saw, the DeWalt DWS760 had somewhat better (and important to me ) capabilities. But I hear you... it's like the next step up from Bosch and Hitachi.

Though some people wouldn't believe this, I'm still trying to do things on a budget... sort of!
                  I know exactly what you're saying, the DeWalt does have some advantages. Where the Festool Kapex is lacking I've been able to compensate with the larger plunge saw... you'de be amazed at how accurate and deep I can cut a facet on the side of a speaker cabinet! . The other thing I like about their tools is this intangable feeling of safety I feel when using them. Hard to pinpoint but important to those of us that still (try) to play musical instruments!

Tom

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

I respect your opinion on this, because you certainly are a skilled and accomplished woodworker, as opposed to a wires and sparks guy that's mostly just improvising as I go along! And I can certainly see how they ways I do some things to date are inherently dangerous, but often it's just because I haven't been able to think of a better way! Makes me feel like Jack Reacher at times, and that's NOT a good thing for woodworking!

And hey, I have my eyes set on getting another SG Custom and a 50 watt Marshall head some day, unfortunately the Korg BX3 appears to have been discontinued.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• technodanvan
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009

I feel like I'm going to end up with the exact same tools you have Jon, I purchased that same dust extractor a month or two ago. Very quiet, compact, and efficient, but doesn't come with a fitting for the DeWalt table saw.

It also blows the breaker if I turn it on at full bore. I have to leave it on the lowest setting, then turn it up. Nobody ever said apartments had good wiring...

Anyway, I think for those of us with limited space it does the job pretty well - especially at the sale price. Just be sure to buy more bags!
                      - Danny

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Yup- they're already on order! and an extra filter, too!
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                          • Dec 2006

Hey Jon have you thought about adding something like this http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...c-buckets.aspx as a pre-stage to that new dust collector. They save on having to replace filters for the main dust extractor by collecting most before it even gets there. I'm looking at adding one to both my shop vacuum and my main dust collecter (when funds permit) which is a big pain to change bags and clean the filter out.

Steve
                          Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Yeah, Steve, you have the right idea, it's just a step at a time- probably by the time the next big project rolls around!
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by technodanvan

It also blows the breaker if I turn it on at full bore. I have to leave it on the lowest setting, then turn it up. Nobody ever said apartments had good wiring...

Anyway, I think for those of us with limited space it does the job pretty well - especially at the sale price. Just be sure to buy more bags!
                              This is common situation for me trying to run a dust extractor and saw at the same time- for now, my main use is going to be with the DeWalt orbital sander I have- I HOPE that combo doesn't blow breakers right and left!

Oh, for being able to setup a shop with multiple 20A feeds... us Condo and Apt dwellers just have to deal for now with being 2nd class citizens in the electrical world! There may be some relief on the horizon, though...
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Super!

Well, I finally had a little time aside from the Holiday stuff and meeting friends to put together the DeWalt 27905 and fire it up with my Porter Cable 390 orbital sander-

Hoo Boy! I'm in heaven! The DeWalt is VERY quiet, and as expected, does an excellent job of filtering dust from the output- I am running an interior bag, too. It has very good suction, even just on the medium/half way setting it does fine with the orbital sander, much better than my improvised small Rigid shop vac or Dyson Canister vac.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dewalt-vac-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.6 KB ID:	941464

From the build quality and performance, I can see why the list for what they do, but paying less than 1/2 of MSRP makes it a very good deal, and a highly recommended shop accessory.*

*Keeping in mind this recommendation comes from a wires and sparks guy that probably shouldn't be allowed access to large power tools without adult supervision...
                                Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 10:46 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bear
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2008

Well, I finally had a little time aside from the Holiday stuff and meeting friends to put together the DeWalt 27905 and fire it up with my Porter Cable 390 orbital sander-

Hoo Boy! I'm in heaven! The DeWalt is VERY quiet, and as expected, does an excellent job of filtering dust from the output- I am running an interior bag, too. It has very good suction, even just on the medium/half way setting it does fine with the orbital sander, much better than my improvised small Rigid shop vac or Dyson Canister vac.

Click image for larger version Name:	dewalt-vac-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.6 KB ID:	941464

From the build quality and performance, I can see why the list for what they do, but paying less than 1/2 of MSRP makes it a very good deal, and a highly recommended shop accessory.*

*Keeping in mind this recommendation comes from a wires and sparks guy that probably shouldn't be allowed access to large power tools without adult supervision...

How good is the filter (PMx)? Would a cyclonic bucket (e.g., Dust Deputy, et al.) help?
                                  Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 10:47 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                  Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

A cyclonic bucket wouldn't be a bad idea in most setups as a pre-filter; the D27905 is built nominally like a shop vac, but you can put a bag filter over the inlet instead of having stuff just drop into the barrel (the barrel uses a round fitted gasket, not just a simple overlap seal), and then the exist gasket comes in two versions, a "standard" version and HEPA optional filter version- with the standard bags, DeWalt claims 99.9 percent dust capture at 2 um and above. They have a fleece bag, too, for heavier materials that may tear the paper bag, and which has higher capacity.

So far, my opinion is that the filtering is excellent, very good capture and control with my orbital sander.
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

More things to do with safe fingers...

Originally posted by ColoradoTom

I know exactly what you're saying, the DeWalt does have some advantages. Where the Festool Kapex is lacking I've been able to compensate with the larger plunge saw... you'de be amazed at how accurate and deep I can cut a facet on the side of a speaker cabinet! . The other thing I like about their tools is this intangable feeling of safety I feel when using them. Hard to pinpoint but important to those of us that still (try) to play musical instruments!

Tom

One of the things I'm occasionally looking at is the state of portable keyboards, particularly clone wheel organs. Last time I checked a few years back, it seemed like Korg had the best one, the BX3, but I just found out THAT was discontinued in 2010!

Name:	korg_bx3_topcopy_zpsb1a3bbae.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	941465

OK, so I'm a little out of the loop... or a lot out of THAT loop!

But it turns out Hammond has been getting their kit together, so to speak, and they have a single manual model, the XK3c which really seems to play very nicely...

Name:	DV016_Jpg_Large_703103_top_angle_zps793055f0.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	941466

Which can be expanded in a couple of different ways into a dual manual setup,

Name:	xk3-overhead_zpsa3b7e872.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	941467

And for a change they've done a lot of things the right way to appeal to hard core B3 lovers or past owners (me). Reportedly, and from what I've heard online, the Leslie simulation is fairly decent for a change, this time.

OTOH, there's no substitute for the real thing, which means you really need this, too...

Name:	3300-xlarge.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	914.3 KB
ID:	941468

Oh, but that's a speaker... hmmm... DIY?
                                      Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 10:49 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• gbegland
                                        • Apr 2005

We've got a minty fresh Oak 147 for the B3 at the studio, but used to have the big boy 925 also. Too damn big to keep around!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by gbegland
                                          We've got a minty fresh Oak 147 for the B3 at the studio, but used to have the big boy 925 also. Too damn big to keep around!
                                          How long has it been since they even made the 925? That's definitely an old monster! Seems to me like the 3300 is a pretty fair design/deal; I'm probably going to try one out later this week or early next.
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Dec 2004

My sister used to help repair real organs... of the pipe variety. And some day she'd like that experience at home...

I can't wait. We may skimp and only go for a standard 32' pipe section (well, electronic of course) and not try to match the 8hz 64' pipe in Sydney...

whee

And now back to your regularly scheduled insanity.
                                            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cjd
                                              My sister used to help repair real organs... of the pipe variety. And some day she'd like that experience at home...

I can't wait. We may skimp and only go for a standard 32' pipe section (well, electronic of course) and not try to match the 8hz 64' pipe in Sydney...

whee

And now back to your regularly scheduled insanity.
                                              Bet you could do that with a big IB sub setup and a bit of EQ- I've seen 10 Hz out of an IB sub...
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonP
                                                • Apr 2006

A cyclonic bucket wouldn't be a bad idea in most setups as a pre-filter; the D27905 is built nominally like a shop vac, but you can put a bag filter over the inlet instead of having stuff just drop into the barrel (the barrel uses a round fitted gasket, not just a simple overlap seal), and then the exist gasket comes in two versions, a "standard" version and HEPA optional filter version- with the standard bags, DeWalt claims 99.9 percent dust capture at 2 um and above. They have a fleece bag, too, for heavier materials that may tear the paper bag, and which has higher capacity.

So far, my opinion is that the filtering is excellent, very good capture and control with my orbital sander.
                                                Hmmm... been researching this one since it came up, looks like a great choice for a "step up" from a basic shop vac, something I've been thinking about recently... My nod to dust collection and lung safety has been a venerable Crafstman 8gal shop vac, with the 1 micron almost HEPA bag you could get for it, (got the HEPA cylinder filter on sale, even better!) and pointing the opened exhaust port out the open garage door. But, one would go thru the $5 drywall bags pretty quickly, and that much more expensive motor HEPA filter would cake up pretty quick without the bags... Now, the bearings are starting to go, and I'm not sure that bags are still made for this now extinct model...

On the quality, in looking around I saw some comment that the Dewalt's were actually made in Italy (!!) rather than China, which would somewhat explain the MSRP as well as the fine buld level. I found that Rockler also has them for around $220. Heavily tempted....

On the Oneida Dust Deputy, I can give a big :T , having purchased one on sale some months back at Roclker. Haven't put all that much air and sawdust thru it so far, but its done its thing as amazingly well as advertized. Look up the Oneida site for the WoodWhisperer video review link, where it was the cheapest and best performer out of the three tested in a shootout. Downright amazing how little dust gets thru those things.

Oneida has a lower price on the kit (with hoses, 2 heavy 5gal cans, etc) direct from them, than the usual price, but with the shipping, it probably evens out. Rockler seems to have dropped now, for their own brand of can with wheels... Woodcraft is selling them.

Another note, Oneida sell just the cyclone part for around $40, for the frugal DIY'er coming up with their own setup... And there's a much bigger cyclone available for the big shop sized dust collectors.

Anyway, not an Oneida salesperson, just amazed how well it works. And, its nice to not have your expensive bags/filters rapidly filled up and be changing them all the time... You probably could run the Dewalt with the optional HEPA filter, and the bag, have exhaust clean enough to breathe... and get many months to a year of heavy use before you even need to change the bag, with the Oneida in front...

Mini Hammonds?? How would Keith Emerson lift one up on his back and smack it down on one leg for sound effects, when they have no legs? (not to mention the solid state thing...) :B Hmmm, a Leslie... Jon's going to intentionally build a speaker with phase distortion?! Say it's not so!! :W

Hope you all had as Merry a Christmas (or whatever) as you possibly could have...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

OK, Jon, I think you've convinced me about the dust deputy thing, but I'll have to see how many pennies I have left in my bank account after planning for the crossover components!

Mini Hammonds?? How would Keith Emerson lift one up on his back and smack it down on one leg for sound effects, when they have no legs? (not to mention the solid state thing...) Hmmm, a Leslie... Jon's going to intentionally build a speaker with phase distortion?! Say it's not so!!

Ah, ELP... that brings back fond memories... the kind of memories I shouldn't be indulging in, if I want to do the sensible thing, or NOT do the unsensible thing! Used to play some of their stuff, and some Keith's other bands stuff (Nice). My cohorts in music back then didn't really like doing it, but I think that was because they had trouble playing in time signatures other than 4/4. :W

Now, that single manual XK3 thing is reasonably light, for what it does, but NOT guitar light, at 43 lb for the basic single manual unit. You can get it with a "portable" second manual add on, or a "traditional" second manual add on (which I like better, and pictured above).

And one of the better Hammond dealers, B3 Guys in Nashville, have some other options, too, including a custom portable unfinished hardwood leg set available in three woods, finish your self, that I think is distinctly cool and quite true to the original B cabinet concept, considering.

Name:	255.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	941469
                                                  Now, this is just lovely to a traditionalist's eye's like mine... and the weight is still a WHOLE lot less than the back breaking 400 lb of my original. I'm sure my B3 is the cause of my eventual back surgery in 2003.

A few points to keep in mind- IMO, the XK3, and particularly the XK3c, is the first time Hammond-Suzuki has really hit it on the head for a B3 replacement. I.E., the drawbar setup is done EXACTLY right, the manuals INCLUDE the reverse color preset kets (programmable) as were the original B's and C's; although I don't truck with the notion of electronic Leslie very much, THIS one seems to be pretty well executed in a stereo feed, with full control over the top and bottom rotor speed settings and acceleration; you can set it up to pretty well mimic the dynamic properties of any Leslie tone cabinet.

The preamp includes a dual tube preamp with 12AX7 and 12AU7, so you can get the over drive or clear sound specific to different B3's (oh, you didn't know that B3's don't all sound alike?).

And to top it off, for the true tweak head, you have full programmability of the "virtual" pick up position for each of the 96 digital tone wheels, so you can step by step program the organ to VERY accurately reproduce the sound of the (sometimes accidental) setup of nearly any B3.

Speaking of traditional B3's, ever seen the inside of one? You'll see why this digital stuff is a good deal....

Name:	B3inside_zps6ec12d42.jpg
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	941470

Scary, huh? All that hand wiring, imagine all the opportunities for something to go wrong... If this looks like something from the deep dark past, keep in mind the Hammond tonewheel organs were developed in... *(drum roll) the early 1930's. 80 year old technology, now.

If it sounds like I'm still infatuated with these things, it's only because I am... if you have never heard a B live through a Leslie (most PA miking setups of Leslie's suck), you just don't know what you're missing. With the horn rotor phase modulation bouncing off the walls in all directions, it's sheer organic bliss... (OK, bad pun, sorry...) It's VERY difficult to record and get a sound that is nothing more than a ghost of the original.
                                                  Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 10:50 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dar47
                                                    • Nov 2008

EEK ops:
                                                    Jon you are not going to think to highly of me anymore. My mom hung on to my dad's Thomas organ to long after he passed. He tore the basement stairs apart so 3 big guys could get that thing down there. We tried but we couldn't even give it away. I had little time left when moving mom from their house to her new life lease so it took me an hour with a 5lb slag to reduce it too piece I could carry out. It had a thick oak "H" frame on it and it didn't go down without a fight. It had 2 Lealie's and I think I counted 8 speaker and 2 amps.

I didn't feel that bad as listening to him and my bother with his 10 years of accordion lessen didn't help either of them much. :B

Name:	Thomas5.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	941471
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 14:00 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

I remember Thomas organs! Played them when i was a kid. (i used to play organ in some of the missions). You did the right thing... There's only one Hammond company!
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                        • Aug 2000

Short Update- working, not posting...

Holidays have been busy with the usual social stuff, but I have been getting some work done- and I have the rest of this week off to continue!

• Hauled out the big drill press, and created rebate holes with Fortsner bit in both baseplates for the #10 square drive mounting screws, and drillled through holes (baseplates are removable- due to original design consideration for possible crossover location AND to facilitate damping material and input wiring
                                                        • Fine sanded both baseplates, and brushed lacquer sealer all over (top, bottom, sides), dried overnight, and fine sanded
                                                        • Two coats of automotive primer on both baseplates (this will be followed by an overnight set, possibly a light sand (doesn't look like it needs it) and a couple of coats of flat black, followed by satin clear for scuff resistance).
                                                        • Base sanded both top modules and created binding post plates holes, assembled binding post plates and drilled pilot holes
                                                        • Cut phenolic separator plates (between top and bottom modules)
                                                        • Base sanding of one low frequency module completed, and cut commercial carpet for wall damping and installed using Loctite polyurethane construction adhesive on sides and back.
                                                        • Cut cable sections to length and began prep for internal wiring

I still hope to have some measured data by Thursday or Friday. Then the real fun developing a crossover can begging! (though I've cheated, already have something roughed out that may be close... or not!)
                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                        Natalie P
                                                        M8ta
                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                        Isiris
                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                        Calliope
                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                        Modula PWB
                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• gbegland
                                                          • Apr 2005

Not real without picts! :W

Glad to hear about progress. No more shopvac/organ distractions. Unless, of course, there happens to be a shopvacing organ combo...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

Picts will be coming in the build thread- but want to have something built before starting that thread! Or at least making sound...

The shop vac has been priceless- indoor sanding without issues, and quiet, to boot! Worth every penny...

The organ thing this holiday break is kind of weird... it's something that comes up in my mind every now and then, but all of a sudden, the pieces seem to be falling into place, particularly with the B3 Guys in Nashville and some of the special stuff they offer. Particularly their custom wood options- DIY (unfinished) organ stand and DIY organ bench? (assembly and finishing required... cool, if you ask me!)

Should have both cabinets done except for finishing by Saturday or so, I think. Will start posting build thread then. Maybe "leak" a picture of test cabinet setup... :W
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Face
                                                              • Mar 2007

My vac should be here by the end of the week, thanks Jon!
                                                              SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Face
                                                                My vac should be here by the end of the week, thanks Jon!

I think you'll love it! :B
                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                Natalie P
                                                                M8ta
                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                Isiris
                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                Calliope
                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

In the spirit of "It's not real if there are no pictures..."

Bass Module Home after basic finishing prep

Name:	BassModule1_zpsac7019a1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	941472

Interior view showing carpet wall damping

Name:	innerview_zps5ea4897b.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	941473

Primer'ed Baseplates

Name:	baseplate_zpscbfa5579.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	941474

Shame to cover up the fosillized bamboo on the baseplates, but that's the plan...

Back to work!
                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 14:13 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jan 2006

I think they look amazing as is

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2006

Looking mighty nice there Jon!...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Progress is our most important product...

Originally posted by Hdale85
                                                                        I think they look amazing as is
                                                                        The bases with the lacquer sanding sealer were quite interesting looking (before the automotive primer!). I think they'll look pretty good with a natural finish.

You have to keep in mind I had modest appearance goals- more durable and looks better than truck bed liner over MDF! I think we'll meet that target handily.

Meanwhile, separator plates are plane and edge sanded (plane to roughen, edge to smooth) (go figure...)

And now we have our official patented 3M augmented gluing process, using only genuine Plitron brand transformers and chokes, and the finest blue tape in the world!

Name:	BlueTapeSpecial_zpsb7cbc4be.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	941475
                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 14:14 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                        M8ta
                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                        Isiris
                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                        Calliope
                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dlneubec
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 1456

Excellent work, Jon! That must be a fake, photoshopped workshop. It is just too clean to be real. :W
                                                                          Dan N.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 16073

I love the way the layers have come out in the baffles.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 15290

Originally posted by dlneubec
                                                                              Excellent work, Jon! That must be a fake, photoshopped workshop. It is just too clean to be real. :W

Hah! That's what Chuck used to say! Been an awful lot of wood shavings and sawdust generated, but most goes direct into the vacs or dust collector these days!

And you caught me- I did clean up after fine sanding the phenolic sheet, though most of that work went straight into the DeWalt 27905 dust extractor via the hose fitting in my Porter cable orbital sander. The real trick I think to get the most out of that setup is my favorite brand of sanding disk, Mirka Abranet, which is porous over the whole sanding surface.

Name:	619y0MeIABL.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	941476

The other great thing about the Mirka disks is they don't shed any grit- the abrasive mechanism is completely different.
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 14:14 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                                              Natalie P
                                                                              M8ta
                                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                                              Isiris
                                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                                              Calliope
                                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                                              Modula PWB
                                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2007
                                                                                • 1877

Looking pretty awesome there Jon! :T Very attractive wood, and design.
                                                                                John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• meb46
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2010
                                                                                  • 398

Jon - Fantastic progress... looking forward to the test results. I am finally back in Singapore after the usual Christmas holiday travels. Not that it means I will get anything done on the speakers as they are all packed and ready for shipping to Chicago. Only 2 weeks left in Singapore and then Chicago as of 1st February. Exciting... but alas it means speakers have to wait till I am settled in Chicago. Keep me posted on your measurements and the crossover details so I can get things rolling from my end.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 15290

Will do Mike- my focus has been spending a bit more effort to get one speaker far enough along for measurements and getting started on the crossover. Using past experience and measured data from the Modula Xtreme's I already have some notions, and have ordered some longer lead crossover parts, but I expect that the baffle step situation for the midrange and tweeter will be somewhat unique due to the enclosure geometry and will require some special consideration in the crossover development- in order to keep at least electrical 2nd order networks, I'm half expecting to need to do an all pass 3rd order acoustic design, such as was utilized in the NatalieP and original Modula Mt.

Once I have some hard data and proposals, I'll be forwarding them to you. Hope your Holiday was fun, and your preparations for you move go smoothly.
                                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                                    M8ta
                                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                                    Isiris
                                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                                    Calliope
                                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                      • Dec 2006
                                                                                      • 1891

Looking very nice Jon, your making me jealous, I have been out of town for the entire holiday break and have got nothing done. Should be able to get in the garage this weekend and make some dust.

I might have to give those Mirka Abranet discs a whirl, I can see how they could help with dust extraction being a mesh.
                                                                                      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• gbegland
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2005
                                                                                        • 233

Lookin' downright sexy professor! Thanks for the peak. Any idea on the weight without drivers installed?

Greg

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 15290

Originally posted by gbegland
                                                                                          Lookin' downright sexy professor! Thanks for the peak. Any idea on the weight without drivers installed?

Greg
                                                                                          Interesting question- one thing on my near term to do list is weigh all the parts that go into one cabinet, while they're still parts- I have a scale that should be able to handle that. Baseplate, woofer cabinet, and top module. So far I'm not having any problems moving just the woofer cabinet around, so I think I'll probably be OK for the complete system. At least, they're not Magico Q7's! Or even Eggleston Savoy's (375 lb! each) I have a friend in Munich who's trying out a set of those this month... I think my threshold of pain is somewhere around 150-200 lb!

In other "news", I got the shipping notification on the Solen AWG 12 inductors I ordered for the LF configuration. My experiments with several cored inductors for the Modula xtreme have led me back to big air cores for this project - at least the initial pass. There's some hysterisis effects and non-linear inductance that you just can't seem to fix fully with a cored inductor. For the best cost and sensitivity combination, they're good, but I've come to believe that for lowest coloration they aren't. YMMV, of course.

Should be wiring up a bass and upper module for test today, as well as finishing the baseplate painting. Other parts shipped yesterday, too, including some 3/8" post terminal lugs. We're at the fiddly bits stage, for sure!
                                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                                          M8ta
                                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                                          Isiris
                                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                                          Calliope
                                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                                            • 15290

For the record:

Bottom module: 118 lb empty
                                                                                            Baseplate: 11.8 lb
                                                                                            Top Module: 35 lb

Total without drivers: ~165 lb. Not bad... slightly painful... will be closing on 200 lb with drivers.
                                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                                            M8ta
                                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                                            Isiris
                                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                                            Calliope
                                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"