X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nordskov
    • May 2016

Another Finalists build

Hi everybody.

I am about to start building a pair of Finalists by Jim Holtz and Curt Cambell.
    I currently run a pair of Dali Evidence 370 in which Im not satisfied. Not much bass, scooped midrange and aggressive highs. Actually I only run one as my son blew a woofer at a party this spring. A new woofer cost more than a second hand speaker 8O
    Its a leap of faith as I have never heard the speakers, but after reading lots of very positive reviews I settled on this design.
    Choosing the right design was tough. Theres a lot of good designs out there. I had four important goals; go deep, good midrange, not too big and affordable.
    Several design had my attention:
    Paul Carmodys Classix II, Amiga and Tarkus (too big)
    John Krutkes ZDT3.5 and SR71
    I even looked at some of Troels Gravesens designs but they are too pricey.
    Then I stumble across The Statements which are too big for my room. So is the Mini Statements, but The Finalists fit the bill perfectly.
    So here I am.

My woodworking skills are above average. I know my way around a table saw but am not too familiar with the router. I never did a circular cut with it, so cutting holes may need some practice
    I tend to follow the design and use MDF board. I still havent decided how to make the finish. Veneer, white paint or maybe some coats of clear varnish.

I just received the hardware from LoudspeakerFreaks after more than a month of impatience, only to discover I accidently ordered the wrong woofers. 4 ohms instead of 8 ohms, stupid! :evil:
    Unpacking stuff always makes me exited, I feel like a child at Christmas
    This is the first time I lay my hands on audiophile capacitors and man they are big!
    I had some questions regarding cabinet and cross-over which Curt was very kind to answer. One of them was about the resistance of the coils. 0.3 mH ~ 0.26 Ohms, 0.5 mH ~ 0.34 Ohms and 6.8 Mh ~ 0.29 Ohms.

Disillusioned by the woofer mishap, I decided to lay out the parts for the cross-over having distance between coils in mind. I managed to cram it down to app. 15 x 20 cm.

Now Im going to buy some wood and get going.
    I'll be back!
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"