X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Finally making some progress on this build. Taper jig is built into the facet jig.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	860052

Lining up the cut. A little hairy when the baffle, jig and clamps outweigh the saw. All that lumber is between me and the blade when I'm cutting.

Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	860053

Just a little left to clean off with a Japanese saw. It was incredibly easy to get a smooth cut.

Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	860054

Messed up the alignment on the second cut making the facet much longer. I think I'll just make all upper facets long rather than deal with adding a layer back on and re-cutting.

Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	860055

Why do some pictures randomly rotate?

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Don't know about the picture rotation- I've had that happen occasionally working with Word at work, but my current workflow for HT Guide has been consistent.

You probably are better off just adjusting the other facets to be as long.

You sure do have a mighty big wood sled there feeding into that saw!

I remember that feedthrough was kind of hairy, too, but I cheated, and used a roller table for feed in and feed out...

Remember this pics from the Ardent Speaker Camp thread?

Another key aid was the angle taper jig, I think I bought this from Woodcraft, though it might have been Rockler on line. One or the other, they're my main go-to guys.

Name:	Ardent-TaperJig.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	947672
      Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 19:26 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Yes I remember those pictures. That's part of the reason I put this project off for so long ��

Your jig has a lot more wood in it than mine. It looks like it could handle continuous production for about four years I have some particleboard shelving as an infeed table and the bottom of my jig is melamine so it slides easily

Comment

• dar47
          • Nov 2008

Ah, everybody is in full swing now.:T I can smell the saw dust all the way up here, haha

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

That MDF sure is dusty. After working with BB on my wavecor build I almost forgot how nasty and dusty the stuff is. This just confirms my decision not to use It anymore.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by BobEllis
              That MDF sure is dusty. After working with BB on my wavecor build I almost forgot how nasty and dusty the stuff is. This just confirms my decision not to use It anymore.
              The words of another very wise man... just say no!
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Renron
                • Jan 2008

MDF
                More Dust Forever
                More Dust, F**K !
                Medical Doctors Fortune
                .............that's all I got.
                Ron
                Ardent TS

Comment

• TEK
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Finally making some progress on this build. Taper jig is built into the facet jig.

Lining up the cut. A little hairy when the baffle, jig and clamps outweigh the saw. All that lumber is between me and the blade when

Just a little left to clean off with a Japanese saw. It was incredibly easy to get a

Messed up the alignment on the second cut making the facet much longer. I think I'll just make all upper facets long rather than deal with adding a layer back on and re-cutting.

Why do some pictures randomly rotate?
                  Just flow with it. I missed on the angle, getting 50 degrees instead of 40 and a cut that was actually deeper than the baffel.
                  For me it was a good thing, I actually prefer the a bit more extreme look...

Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 19:49 Saturday. Reason: Update image
                  -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• BobEllis
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

I cut all upper facets to match. Much easier the second time cutting facets. All in all I like the long facet look. Here are the baffles leaning against the cabinets. I need to run wires for the tweeter and midrange before gluing the baffles on.

Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	860069

To Ron's comment about my productivity in his thread, it's not what I expect given 4 days a week dedicated to these projects. But it's nice to see things coming together.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Slow work always takes time, and doing something like this for the first time is always slow work for me. I'm with Ron, think your productivity has been quite good, all things considered.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• BobEllis
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005

Thanks, Jon. Clearing out cobwebs took time. Hadn't done more than rout driver holes in years. Raw venerer is new to me, so that will slow things down again.

Comment

• dar47
                          • Nov 2008

Great progress, these Ardent things are popping up everywhere:T That top facet where you wanted it, ours is closer to the tweet?

Comment

• Renron
                            • Jan 2008

Looks good with the long facets.
                            If I don't work on the trailer this weekend (new sink install; prior owner melted the original one), it'll be the baffle setups. Not looking forward to that much routing, 26 holes ??? Any reason to route the inner baffles for the tweeter? I'm guessing no.
                            Ron
                            Ardent TS

Comment

• dar47
                              • Nov 2008

2 layers according to plan.

Comment

• Renron
                                • Jan 2008

Thought so, Thanks Dar47
                                Ardent TS

Comment

• BobEllis
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by dar47
                                  Great progress, these Ardent things are popping up everywhere:T That top facet where you wanted it, ours is closer to the tweet?
                                  I was shooting for closer to the tweeter, but put the mid bottom a bit lower than I should have. I figured that minimizing driver spacing was more important than getting the tweeter to the top. The cabinets are an inch taller than the Wavecor version so the tweeters will still be at ear height with 2.25" of base height. May need to go higher with the Wavecors.

I also wanted the side and top facets to join without the peak at the top and got pretty darned close to that. The top flat surface is almost a rectangle. As I said in the beginning of the thread, this build is a return to a speaker building so My woodworking skills are a little rusty. I will be closer to the top of the tweeter on the Wavecor build.

Comment

• Renron
                                    • Jan 2008

Bob,
                                    I was thinking the same thing about making the tweeter facet large like you did. For looks also. Could you please post a front shot?
                                    Any issues (lobing) with moving the mid and tweeter higher? Fifth Element, are you monitoring this thread?
                                    Ron
                                    Ardent TS

Comment

• BobEllis
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2005

I will post a shot in the morning, but unless you make the angle steeper there's not much you can do since your cabinets are already built. I'd guess an extra inch of cabinet height is all you need. If your baffle blanks are long enough another layer of BB on the top might get you the height you need.

Just because of the frequencies involved I'd say that the mid to tweeter distance is the most critical. You could probably move the tweeter and mid up but then the top facet gets smaller, not bigger.

Comment

• BobEllis
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Dec 2005

Here you go, Ron. It takes about 2.5" vertically to get this depth.

Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	860072

Comment

• Renron
                                          • Jan 2008

Thanks Bob, appreciate you taking the time to take the photo and to measure the depth of the cut.
                                          I too, really like the symmetry. Time to crunch some numbers.....
                                          Ron
                                          Ardent TS

Comment

• BobEllis
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Dec 2005

You're welcome. To be clear, it's a 45 degree cut since I didn't think I could keep everything moving squarely on the 40 degree facet jig.

Comment

• TEK
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2002

There are actually several Avalon designs that has this looks.
                                              For example the Avalon Idea: http://www.google.no/imgres?imgurl=h...FcPwcgodKWQC_w
                                              -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2005

Aargh!

Now this is frustrating. The baffles have started to self destruct. They were in the sun while I was sealing and wiring the mid chamber and have started coming apart at the glue lines and in the middle of the MDF. Epoxy may stabilize it but I'm not going to put that beautiful veneer on a questionable substrate.

I'm sure our daily temperature swings from 40F to 80F haven't helped it. There is some internal stress because the panels weren't flat but I forced it flat gluing up between 2x4 cauls.

I guess this project will go on hold until I can make a Baltic Birch baffle. That likely means Spring.

Click image for larger versionName:	image.jpgViews:	1Size:	100.7 KBID:	860078
                                                Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 19:50 Saturday. Reason: Update image style

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                  • Dec 2006

Aargh!

Now this is frustrating. The baffles have started to self destruct. They were in the sun while I was sealing and wiring the mid chamber and have started coming apart at the glue lines and in the middle of the MDF. Epoxy may stabilize it but I'm not going to put that beautiful veneer on a questionable substrate.

I'm sure our daily temperature swings from 40F to 80F haven't helped it. There is some internal stress because the panels weren't flat but I forced it flat gluing up between 2x4 cauls.

I guess this project will go on hold until I can make a Baltic Birch baffle. That likely means Spring.

ā€‹

That sucks Bob ...... the sun and wood do not play well together, it amazes me how badly it can warp a piece of wood. I can understand the glue lines, especially if you don't rough up the surface of mdf prior to gluing (surface tends to be too smooth sometimes), but that's pretty crazy it splitting in the middle of the board as well.
                                                  Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 19:50 Saturday. Reason: Update quote
                                                  Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Dec 2005

Definitely heat related. Everything is closing up as the temperature drops. Glad it happened now. They'll end up getting some direct sun in the living room.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

Aargh!

ā€‹

Damn damn damn!! Triple Damn, even!

Really sorry to see this happen, Bob. Considering the materials are the same, I'm a bit surprised to see thermal stress cracking, but maybe this is due to differentials while warming up/cooling down? Would be easy to understand if you had BB ply layered with MDF- when you have a stiff material bonded with a "mushy" material (as I consider MDF) then one sort of expects something would have to give...
                                                      Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 19:51 Saturday. Reason: Update quote
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Renron
                                                        • Jan 2008

Shit on a stickeroo...............
                                                        Whoa, that's the fault of the MDF not yours. The straight dark lines look like the glue was not present exactly there, but the fractures are from a factory defect in the MDF. I've seen OSB during its early years of development do the same thing. Even some plywood when they were switching to a "more earth friendly" glue.
                                                        That's a shame Bob. Sorry. And they looked so good too. You MIGHT be able to "pitch a bitch" loud enough to get reimbursed the $$$ for the MDF but time wise....
                                                        Bummer Man.
                                                        Ron
                                                        Ardent TS

Comment

• TEK
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2002

Hmm, the larger one seems to be the glueline.
                                                          You should evaluate the type of glue, amount of glue, pressurre method and preperation of the materials before gluing.
                                                          Ideally the glue line is actually stronger than the MDF itself.
                                                          The other ones seems to be right in the MDF. Really strange.
                                                          What worries me is that as far as I can tell there is nothing special with your baffel - so might this happend to others as well? The conatruction has been done for many years (by Avalon and others)
                                                          so I dont see why?
                                                          -TEK

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Dec 2005

Yeah, but if it had waited til it was glued to the cabinet or worse yet, veneered, I'd be really upset. The smell of freshly cut MDF was much stronger than usual.

Lesson learned to spread the glue on a little thicker. (And scuff the surface if using MDF again, thanks Steve) The offcuts stayed together, but I guess there wasn't enough once it softened a bit in the sun. I got a fair amount of pretty consistent squeeze out with Titebond 2 so I thought I had enough.

On the plus side having just one set of cabinets to finish by Columbus Day takes some pressure off.

I'm guessing that I should bring my veneer into a climate controlled environment over the winter. Or would it be ok in an unheated indoor area protected from water?

Comment

• Renron
                                                              • Jan 2008

Bob,
                                                              Any chance that the titebond 2 could have come close to freezing? We all lost our glues in one night when the power went out in a Tahoe home we were working on. We also learned NOT to leave our glue in the truck overnight. Even if it just comes close to freezing temperatures, it will be ruined.
                                                              Bob, you should keep the veneer in a climate controlled environment, also keep the BB and Bamboo Ply dry and protect them from freezing. As I found out, keep them flat too, not leaning against the walls.

Tek, The long line looks to me like a lack of glue, not a failure of a glue line.
                                                              I think the glue in the MDF failed, during manufacturing it could have been the end of a tank of glue, bad Quality Control, contaminates in the raw materials.

Bob,
                                                              Way to look on the bright side, your good character shows.
                                                              Ron
                                                              Ardent TS

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Dec 2005

It might have hit 36, I don't think it went lower. I guess that's fairly close, though. Who would have expected that in June?

Now you're making me wonder about the security of my Wavecor Ardent build. I will buy a fresh bottle before gluing the other baffles together.

Today the cracks have closed up almost completely and the facet edges are straight lines again. I can force a little movement in the glue line and close it. Thinking maybe an epoxy coat and paint or truck bed liner and rebuild in proper cabinets later. I'm going to focus on the Wavecor build while the weather is cooperating though.

Ok, I'll take the excess veneer home with me and store it under the bed. I wouldn't have thought to keep the ply from freezing. Fortunately I've been storing it flat.

Comment

• Winter
                                                                  • Nov 2007

I had a similar occurrence. While working on an MDF baffle, one end of the speaker was accidently exposed to outside direct sunlight for 10 to 20 minutes. Splitting check lines appeared in the ends of the MDF panels, similar to yours. No separation at the glued joints though. I applied Minwax High Performance Wood Hardener on the ends, allowing it to soak in. No issues since. I am careful to avoid leaving MDF in direct sunlight now.

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2005

Thanks for that. I have some of that, I'll give it a shot. Still don't think I'll put the good veneer on these cabinets, though.

I'm thinking Ron hit that one on the head regarding the glue lines. I remember noticing a bit of separation when I filled my service bottle from the gallon.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                      • Dec 2006

Yeah, but if it had waited til it was glued to the cabinet or worse yet, veneered, I'd be really upset. The smell of freshly cut MDF was much stronger than usual.

Lesson learned to spread the glue on a little thicker. (And scuff the surface if using MDF again, thanks Steve) The offcuts stayed together, but I guess there wasn't enough once it softened a bit in the sun. I got a fair amount of pretty consistent squeeze out with Titebond 2 so I thought I had enough.

On the plus side having just one set of cabinets to finish by Columbus Day takes some pressure off.

I'm guessing that I should bring my veneer into a climate controlled environment over the winter. Or would it be ok in an unheated indoor area protected from water?
                                                                      Your welcome Bob ........ I ran across that bit of info on Joe Wood Workers site (I was having some bubble issues with some veneer). Apparently that can be an issue with paper backed veneers not sticking well. You need to scuff both the veneer and the mdf prior to adding glue to each.
                                                                      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2005

Applied Minwax wood hardener to the baffles. Easily soaked up a pint without getting to the shiny surface. Epoxy ought to finish the job.

If you decide to use the stuff, don't just use with adequate ventilation, wear a respirator. I applied it in the middle of a double garage door with a cross breeze and quickly grabbed my respirator. Nasty stuff

Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	860094

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2005
                                                                          • 1609

Didn't have enough to do while waiting for the glue to set on the Wavecor build so I'm going ahead with this. I will likely build another set of cabinets next year. These will be painted, probably with a textured paint.

After a week of setting up, the hardener didn't seem to do much other than change the color of the MDF. Yes, the flat surface of the baffles feels like it's been coated, but the facets seem to have expanded a bit and were fuzzy. It took quite a bit of sanding to get them smooth and flat again.

I will give them a coat of epoxy to seal and see how they look then. For what it's worth the cabinets weigh 66 pounds empty without bases. Single layer 3/4" MDF except 4 layer baffles.

Comment

Working...
                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                          Search Result for "|||"