X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Manning
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by sdl2112
    Adhesives...

I tried a few adhesives for the x-over and damping material (Steve, I saw your question...here's what I've found). The water based Polyseamseal works well for the felt and Whispermat I plan on using. I prefer it to the spray adhesives because I can apply it only where I need it. It grabs very well to those surfaces. For the x-over components I'll go with one of the Goop products, E6000 is made by the same company. All three are pretty indistinguishable. They will definitely support components hung upside down...Here's a pic for your enjoyment

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0232_sm.jpg Views:	4594 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	857868

Thanks Scott, I'll check into the Goop stuff. Looks like it sets up pretty quickly as well which is also what I'm looking for.

Steve
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 12:39 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote
    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• sdl2112
      • Mar 2006

Whew...

I hadn't been this nervous about doing a task in a while. Painting the baffles was either going to bring me joy or disappointment this holiday break. There was a small window of opportunity where the weather was just right so I was able to paint the baffles Sunday. The high was in the 70s and the humidity was in the 60% range...perfect. Today it's in the 40s. Now all I had to do was figure out how to use the sprayer.

I would like to first say thank you to Bill Schneider for his detailed build logs. I pretty much followed his technique for painting the baffles. I sealed with Zinnser's Seal Coat, then primed with Rustoleum sandable auto primer, a little spot putty and then 3 coats General Finishes lamp black milk paint. His work is what I could only aspire to achieve. I really didn't expect to get this good of results the first time but they turned out Great!

I practiced on some cardboard and a piece of MDF that I primed. They recommend that the fluid should exit the sprayer nozzle in a steady stream with the trigger pulled and no air attached, it indicates the right viscosity. Well the milk paint almost had the consistency of PVA glue. I diluted it 10% with distilled water but it only drizzled out of the nozzle. I don't know how optimal my setting were but I used the standard Fuji Groups aircap, set the fan pattern control to about 2/3 full and the fluid control knob to about 1.5 turns. It produced about a 6-8inch fan pattern at that same distance. I wasn't sure if it was atomizing optimally but the milk paint self leveled beautifully. No streaks, no runs...very nice. As always it has a lot to due with surface preparation. I need to let it cure a couple weeks before I can glue them to the enclosures. I need to apply some clamping pressure and don't want to damage the finish. Anyway...here's some pics.

Painting setup

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0235_sm.jpg
Views:	4682
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	857896

Nice even sheen

Name:	DSC_0250_sm.jpg
Views:	4859
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	857897

Bases

Name:	DSC_0257_sm.jpg
Views:	4554
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	857898

No MDF seams...yet

Name:	DSC_0254_sm.jpg
Views:	4556
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	857899

Group photo

Name:	DSC_0251_sm.jpg
Views:	4591
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	857900
      Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 12:13 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Looking mighty fine! :T

You're definitely getting the HT Guide Professional Builder's seal of approval for your outstanding workmanship on this project!

You did the right thing doing your research and finding someone with a solid build technique for the finishing- life's too short to reinvent the wheel over and over again! (Ahem... of course, some of us don't always practice what we preach, but I'm trying to do better...)
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
          Supreme Being Moderator
          • Sep 2009

Wow, those turned out great.
          What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
          5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
          Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Leeuwarden
            • Mar 2012

I've had the opportunity to listen to the ER version today. These are among the best speakers I ever heard!

(these were the ones I heard: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/jenzenER_Gerrit.htm )

Comment

• sdl2112
              • Mar 2006

Thanks guys...I surprised myself. Thinking of projects, I would usually try to finds ways not to paint...now I think I'll be looking for ways to include it

Leeuwarden, I'm glad to hear the :T on the ER...I can't wait to listen to these.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                • Dec 2006

Very nice Scott those turned out great. Can't wait to see them attached to the rest of the cabinet. Like you I was amazed how much difference a real sprayer makes compared to a spray can. Keep up the good work. :T

Comment

• jim1961
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Leeuwarden
                  I've had the opportunity to listen to the ER version today. These are among the best speakers I ever heard!

(these were the ones I heard: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/jenzenER_Gerrit.htm )

Thats very encouraging! Also, thanks for the heads up on the break in. Question though, are you referring to the bass response or beyond that in regards to the break in period? How many hours and at what output level did you run them to break them in?
                  Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections

Comment

• Leeuwarden
                    • Mar 2012

Jim, these are not my speakers, can't tell you anything about breaking in. These speakers are from someone who lives 1,5 hours drive from where I live. My experience with braking in new speakers is that it takes about 100 to 300 hours to settle. First 24 hours are usually the biggest change in sound.

These Jenzen speakers are so good I sreously consider building them myself although I just finished a pair of new speakers...

Comment

• jim1961
                      • Nov 2012

Jim, these are not my speakers, can't tell you anything about breaking in. These speakers are from someone who lives 1,5 hours drive from where I live. My experience with braking in new speakers is that it takes about 100 to 300 hours to settle. First 24 hours are usually the biggest change in sound.

These Jenzen speakers are so good I sreously consider building them myself although I just finished a pair of new speakers...
                      OK. One more thing though. When you heard them, was the room that they were in treated? How large was it?

Comment

• Leeuwarden
                        • Mar 2012

Room was not treated. It was a L shaped room and the part the speakers were in was about 9 metres deep and 4 metres wide. Amp was a 50 Watt tube amp with KT88 tubes.

Comment

• jim1961
                          • Nov 2012

Room was not treated. It was a L shaped room and the part the speakers were in was about 9 metres deep and 4 metres wide. Amp was a 50 Watt tube amp with KT88 tubes.
                          I suppose in this light, it makes it even more encouraging that they sounded good in an untreated room and under powered a bit (50w amp, Troels recommends 100w minimum for these).

Thanks for the info

Comment

• sdl2112
                            • Mar 2006

I plan on breaking in the woofers with a low frequency sine wave at about 1/2 xmax to get the T/S parameters to settle. This should accelerate some of the break-in. Honestly I think a lot of the break-in is just between our ears.

I've seen a 20% shift in the T/S parameters after 60hrs...I verified this on the Scan-Speak 22Ws I plan on using for my project shown here.

Name:	IMG_1377_sm.jpg
Views:	4555
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	857908
                            Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 12:13 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Leeuwarden
                              • Mar 2012

House was made from concrete and stone, it was a new house. My house was build around 1933, that could make a (big) difference... We did not play very loud, could explain why the tube amp did very wel...

Talking about amps, I'm trying to decide wether I will buy one of those http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/nxv300.htm and sell my UCD400AD's

Comment

• jim1961
                                • Nov 2012

I plan on breaking in the woofers with a low frequency sine wave at about 1/2 xmax to get the T/S parameters to settle. This should accelerate some of the break-in. Honestly I think a lot of the break-in is just between our ears.

I've seen a 20% shift in the T/S parameters after 60hrs...I verified this on the Scan-Speak 22Ws I plan on using for my project shown here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1377_sm.jpg Views:	4361 Size:	98.5 KB ID:	857908

So the woofers will already be broken in when I get the speaker?
                                Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 12:39 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• 5th element
                                  Supreme Being Moderator
                                  • Sep 2009

50 watts is only under powered if the amplifier is forced into clipping. 100 watts is only 3dB louder than the 50 watt. In most situations a good 50 watt amplifier will drive speakers like these very loud, providing your room isn't gargantuan and you idea of loud is Concorde on the runway.
                                  What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                                  5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                                  Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• sdl2112
                                    • Mar 2006

Yes, as far as the T/S parameters go. It's much easier to break in the drivers out of the box because you only need a couple volts to drive the speaker at its resonance frequency to loosen the suspension. It's also much quieter

Comment

• jim1961
                                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by 5th element
                                      50 watts is only under powered if the amplifier is forced into clipping. 100 watts is only 3dB louder than the 50 watt. In most situations a good 50 watt amplifier will drive speakers like these very loud, providing your room isn't gargantuan and you idea of loud is Concorde on the runway.
                                      Another way of looking at that is say your running a mean average of 5 watts and a 12db spike / peak comes along. The 50watt amp will clip and the 100w wont.

And although the clip will likely be of sufficiently short duration to not hear it as distortion, what will happen is the spike will be compressed, effectively limiting your dynamic range.

So its not so much you need 100 watts to get loud enough. You may need it for dynamic headroom.

A speaker like this that has maybe a sensitivity of 88db at 1w at 1m will only be at 80db at 2.5m. Consequently, the loudest peak for a 100w amp at 2.5m would be 100db, and for a 50w amp 97db. A mono signal (both speakers driven) add 6db. That isnt that loud really.

Still another, but perhaps most relevant way to look at it, is that if you going to leave yourself 10db headroom, the 50w amp will only go to 87db, the 100w 90db (at a 2.5m distance with a 88db/m/w sensitivity)

I used this calculator to determine the sound level loss for a given distance http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-distance.htm
                                      Last edited by jim1961; 30 December 2012, 13:00 Sunday.

Comment

• jim1961
                                        • Nov 2012

Yes, as far as the T/S parameters go. It's much easier to break in the drivers out of the box because you only need a couple volts to drive the speaker at its resonance frequency to loosen the suspension. It's also much quieter
                                        So, T/S parameter gives you a measure of suspension rigidity?

Comment

• sdl2112
                                          • Mar 2006

Yes, the T/S parameter Cms is the compliance of the driver's suspension, Vas is proportional to Cms...more info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiele/Small I'll call you.

Comment

• sdl2112
                                            • Mar 2006

Forging ahead...

To apply a top coat or not was the question...the baffles looked great but it appeared they might mar and scuff easily so I elected to top coat the baffles. I used the General Finishes High Performance top coat. It went on nice. Now I think it is much more durable and now has a smooth finish with more depth. The milk paint alone was a little chalky.

I also lined the interior with Whispermat and F13 wool felt in the mid compartment...that takes some patience...and few beers :W

Cutting the Whispermat...it needs to be compressed and cut with a sharp utility knife to get clean cuts.

Name:	DSC_0266_sm.jpg
Views:	4336
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	857949

Applying the Polyseamseal adhesive.

Name:	DSC_0263_sm.jpg
Views:	4273
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	857950

Sides finished.

Name:	DSC_0277_sm.jpg
Views:	4309
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	857951

Pic taken right after top coat applied.

Name:	DSC_0285_sm.jpg
Views:	4233
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	857952

After 4 coats of top coat.

Name:	DSC_0291_sm.jpg
Views:	4405
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	857953
                                            Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 12:14 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                              • Jan 2010

Looks great! Any regrets with the mini-mite? I might upgrade from rattle cans someday.
                                              Zaph SR-71
                                              Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                              Sunflower Redux
                                              12" Dayton HF sub
                                              CJD RS 150 MT
                                              Revelator bookshelf
                                              2x12 Guitar cab
                                              Corner loaded line array

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                • Dec 2006

Looks like that sprayer was a good investment Scott, baffles are looking great. Looks like your getting pretty close to making some music, can't wait to see what it looks like all together.

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

Looking great Scott! :T

I've got a Mini-Mite in my Amazon wish list that will be ordered as soon as my savings transfer clears! If you have any tips on your use experience with it (and copious spare time-). pls post them! I suspect I have a bit of a learning curve ahead, but Pete has offered some good tips and I have that book on spraying, so hopefully I'll be able to suss things out.

Must be getting close to making sound... this is certainly the exciting part!
                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by oneplustwo
                                                    Looks great! Any regrets with the mini-mite? I might upgrade from rattle cans someday.
                                                    No regrets...it works very well. Set-up is easy and since I've been using water based products, clean-up is easy and virtually no nasty fumes!

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Steve Manning
                                                      Looks like that sprayer was a good investment Scott, baffles are looking great. Looks like your getting pretty close to making some music, can't wait to see what it looks like all together.
                                                      Thanks Steve...yes it definitely was a good investment. I can't wait to see and hear the finished product too!

Comment

• jim1961
                                                        • Nov 2012

Nice work Scott

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                          Looking great Scott! :T

I've got a Mini-Mite in my Amazon wish list that will be ordered as soon as my savings transfer clears! If you have any tips on your use experience with it (and copious spare time-). pls post them! I suspect I have a bit of a learning curve ahead, but Pete has offered some good tips and I have that book on spraying, so hopefully I'll be able to suss things out.

Must be getting close to making sound... this is certainly the exciting part!
                                                          I can't comment on other products but the Mini-Mite seems like the right product for me. It's a little loud...but then all my power tools are loud. As others have stated it's about like a standard shop vac...not like yours Jon I've even thought I could make a forced ventilated box lined with sound damping material to set on top of it if I really wanted it quieter...

As far as a learning curve...I was thinking like you but once you start spraying you get the hang of it real fast. That is actually the easy part. Through all my spraying so far I haven't really come close to a run. The hard part it finding a place to spray and having the temperature/humidity conditions right, not to mention all the different options of what finish to spray. Two websites to help with this are;
                                                          Jeff Jewitt's site:http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/
                                                          Learn how to become a woodworker while having fun. Woodworking tips, tricks, techniques, and projects from Marc Spagnuolo.

Take a look at this video for spraying techniques...
                                                          An introduction to waterborne finishes, how they work, and how to apply them via HVLP.

I do recommend practicing on cardboard first and I even recommend finishing a piece of scrap prepared just how your real project is so you know exactly how it will apply. I did buy the #3 and #5 aircaps for different viscosity finishes. I used the standard #4 for the milk paint and the #3 (finer atomization) for the clear finish. I think you will definitely want at least the #3 for lacquer. That's about it :W

Yep...sound is not too far off. I have the crossovers to make, internal wiring and glue them up...

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                            • Mar 2006

Things are getting close...

The base crossover is constructed ready for final assembly. Still need to double check against the schematic. I think all I have left to purchase is some brass screws so I must be close :T I should have more updates soon...

Crossovers positioned in the bases.

Name:	DSC_0305_sm.jpg
Views:	3711
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	857983

Detail

Name:	DSC_0308_sm.jpg
Views:	3700
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	857984
                                                            Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 12:15 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Jan 2006

Those look nice!

Comment

• jim1961
                                                                • Nov 2012

Scott, arent there supposed to be (4) 22uf for each crossover? Or is it that there are (2) more below I cant see?

How do these bases attach to the speaker itself exactly?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Looking very good, Steve- progress is our most important product, after sawdust!

I'm getting into crossover building today, too, but just for initial testing and evaluation. I won't get this far...
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jim1961
                                                                    Scott, arent there supposed to be (4) 22uf for each crossover? Or is it that there are (2) more below I cant see?

How do these bases attach to the speaker itself exactly?
                                                                    First pic shows them stacked for a total of 4. The bases will be attached with brass screws and I'll be adding rubber feet...you will see soon Oh...and the woofers are being exercized :W

Name:	DSC_0319_sm.jpg
Views:	3627
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	858008

Name:	DSC_0320_sm.jpg
Views:	3606
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	858009
                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 12:19 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                      • Dec 2006

Very nice on the xovers Scott, hope mine turn out half as well.

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2006

Tip of the day...

Oh...and fyi...while I was arranging the crossover coils I initially placed the large air-core inductor closer (~2.5inches) to the smaller cored inductor...I was curious of the coupling. Ballpark numbers, with a 6Vac sine wave of 1-10khz applied to the air-core, I measured 0.5V in the cored inductor...not good I would think. I moved it to 4.5 inches and it measured ~35mv. I think that's a pretty easy check when deciding coil placement. Also I'm using either stainless steel or brass hardware. Actually I had to move the components after they were glued with E6000, not easy but at least I know it's possible for future reference.

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2006

Thanks everyone...this is certainly the exciting part.

Seeing your work Steve...I'm sure your crossover will look beautiful :W

Comment

• jim1961
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Nov 2012
                                                                            • 357

Oh...and fyi...while I was arranging the crossover coils I initially placed the large air-core inductor closer (~2.5inches) to the smaller cored inductor...I was curious of the coupling. Ballpark numbers, with a 6Vac sine wave of 1-10khz applied to the air-core, I measured 0.5V in the cored inductor...not good I would think. I moved it to 4.5 inches and it measured ~35mv. I think that's a pretty easy check when deciding coil placement. Also I'm using either stainless steel or brass hardware. Actually I had to move the components after they were glued with E6000, not easy but at least I know it's possible for future reference.

Coil placement advice from Troels:

And yes, the first pic show the stacked caps clearly ops:

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2006
                                                                              • 571

#83
                                                                              Now for something completely different....

I was hoping to hear music tonight but that's not going to happen....Umm "slow work takes time..." right :E Going through the build process makes me appreciate all the efforts I see on these forums :T For every picture there is sooo much behind it. Today was full of details...tomorrow...we'll see.

Anyway...when I look at my photos you would think I work for a cat litter company The containers are very handy.... I had two cats, now one...the darker bengal passed away several years ago but he was a cool dude. Here's a few photos in lieu of speaker updates :B

Name:	106-0625_IMG_sm.jpg
Views:	3723
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	858010

Name:	106-0635_IMG_sm.jpg
Views:	3620
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	858011

Name:	108-0819_IMG_sm.jpg
Views:	3639
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	858012
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 12:19 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15314

#84
                                                                                Well, it was ALMOST a speaker update- at least one speaker cabinet was involved, and the cats are cute! Especially the darker one, may he rest in peace!
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jim1961
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2012
                                                                                  • 357

#85
                                                                                  I was hoping to hear music tonight but that's not going to happen....Umm "slow work takes time..." right :E Going through the build process makes me appreciate all the efforts I see on these forums :T For every picture there is sooo much behind it. Today was full of details...tomorrow...we'll see.
                                                                                  You have glued the front / rear panels ????

Or did you mean just hooking the drivers to the X over?

Hope you have a productive day

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2006
                                                                                    • 571

#86
                                                                                    They are glued and quite heavy 8O I had them out in the garage last night for assembly and they became a little heavy to dead lift...of coarse my dolly had two flat tires (won't hold air) so I was off to Home depot this morning for new wheels and padding. Now I'm good to go. Moving a little slow today, we'll see how far I get.

Comment

• jim1961
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2012
                                                                                      • 357

#87
                                                                                      They are glued and quite heavy 8O I had them out in the garage last night for assembly and they became a little heavy to dead lift...of coarse my dolly had two flat tires (won't hold air) so I was off to Home depot this morning for new wheels and padding. Now I'm good to go. Moving a little slow today, we'll see how far I get.
                                                                                      WOW! You are further along than I thought. You know, I could come down at any point to help if you need me

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2006
                                                                                        • 571

#88
                                                                                        Originally posted by jim1961
                                                                                        WOW! You are further along than I thought. You know, I could come down at any point to help if you need me
                                                                                        Thanks but no need to come down...I'm real close as you will soon see :W

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2006
                                                                                          • 571

#89
                                                                                          Speaker building marathon weekend...

My girlfriend had to travel to the Philippines so it was full go on the speaker build...unfortunately I didn't quite finish but I'm real close :W I'm pretty much done for the day...maybe one more trip to Home Depot for cable ties.

It's all coming together nicely and I couldn't be happier with the results...These are pretty big. I weighted one w/o the drivers and it's about 105lbs.

Early on in the planning stages I was curious how people would attach painted baffles to stained cabinets...external hardware...no problem but I'll be gluing. Do you paint first or mask off?? Hmmm...paint first for me...what I came up with was to rabbet the outer edge of the baffles. Mine is about 0.050" deep...why? Three things...it gives a uniform gap when mated; adding a gasket will seal the outer edge so when the glue is applied it will not squeeze out on the finish and last with the gasket it keeps the baffle from sliding due to the glue lubrication. I used 1/4" x 1/16" thick soft gasket from McMaster-Carr.

I think I mentioned I like pics so here's a bunch :E

Applying gasket to rear baffle

Name:	DSC_0307_sm.jpg
Views:	3503
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	858013

Rabbet edge before gasket

Name:	DSC_0301_sm.jpg
Views:	3562
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	858014

With gasket

Name:	DSC_0304_sm.jpg
Views:	3549
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	858015

Front baffle

Name:	DSC_0310_sm.jpg
Views:	3671
ID:	858016

Aligning rear baffle with Whispermat

Name:	DSC_0309_sm.jpg
Views:	3446
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	858017
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 12:20 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2006
                                                                                            • 571

#90
                                                                                            Misc build pics...

Here's a few pics of how I did stuff...

Transfer punches are a must...I only recently realized what they are for :roll:

Name:	DSC_0323_sm.jpg
Views:	3486
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	858018

Twisting the internal hook-up wire...#16awg Teflon insulation, silver plated.

Name:	DSC_0324_sm.jpg
Views:	3516
ID:	858019

Delivery...

Name:	DSC_0326_sm.jpg
Views:	3489
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	858020

More wiring...

Name:	DSC_0327_sm.jpg
Views:	3470
ID:	858021
                                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 12:21 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"