X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

BTW, how does the Khancenter sound? Did the 15ga inductor work out for you?

I can report first hand knowledge that Bondo works great, but is work. I've seen other people just report using thinned wood glue to seal edges. Wood putty or a paste made from sawdust and glue work to fill imperfections.

A lot of people have problems with paint cracking along MDF joints. I think this is just normal drying shrinkage. Glue and paint are a source of a lot of moisture into the wood. I would let them dry for a long time before beginning finishing. And then put down the primer and let that fully cure out before continuing. PE has lot of threads talking about finishing MDF to prevent joint line cracks... but I don't have those problems with plywood boxes and my lower expectations.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• dar47
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BlueBeardo
      What's the preference for sealing the edges of the mdf (seems to be highly debated)? I was going to use bondo to seal the edges and fix any imperfections on the box. I would rather not use spackle because it is rather brittle. I plan on spray painting it with Krylon primer then Krylon satin black after doing the prep work. Any suggestions that might make life easier?
      You can use Bondo, then glue sanded to seal before primer, or Like I recently did to a Modula MTM build cover the back, sides, top and bottom with 1/8" hardboard not including your fronts as you have dune your driver holes. This will make all your corners harder and get rid of the 3/4" joints that are vary hard to conceal with veneer or paint. The hardboard will not soak up a ton of primer as well.

Comment

• BlueBeardo
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ---k---
        BTW, how does the Khancenter sound? Did the 15ga inductor work out for you?
        I listened to it for a little while, but at low volumes because the back was just clamped on and I hadn't put the back foam on, screwed in the feet, and put the fiber fill in. From what I heard though it sounded great! It blends so much better with my sub then my current speakers. At first I thought they where putting out a ton of bass until I realized I had left the sub on. I still have to get some speaker grill material, so I may get the iron core to experiment with the difference, but we'll see when I really get to try them out.

The clarity was awesome. Everything felt more "alive". I can't wait to finish and really get to push them.

Comment

• BlueBeardo
          • Dec 2011

I've seen other people just report using thinned wood glue to seal edges. Wood putty or a paste made from sawdust and glue work to fill imperfections.
          I did read that on the PE forums. A lot of people seemed to be against that because of the water and swelling MDF issue.

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

I listened to it for a little while, but at low volumes because the back was just clamped on and I hadn't put the back foam on, screwed in the feet, and put the fiber fill in. From what I heard though it sounded great! It blends so much better with my sub then my current speakers. At first I thought they where putting out a ton of bass until I realized I had left the sub on. I still have to get some speaker grill material, so I may get the iron core to experiment with the difference, but we'll see when I really get to try them out.

The clarity was awesome. Everything felt more "alive". I can't wait to finish and really get to push them.
            Cool! Keep us posted.
            - Ryan

Comment

• BlueBeardo
              • Dec 2011

What should I use to permanently connect the speaker wire from the crossover to the speaker? Should I solder straighter to the speaker terminals or is it better to use the speaker connectors that crimp onto the wire and the slide onto the speaker terminal.

I was worried that the wire connector might fall off over time. On the other hand soldering to the speaker might make it hard to remove the speaker in the future.

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

I use crimp connects on all mine. I soldered once and overheated a tweeter wire, which I believe melted some glue and cause the hair thin wire to come loose and dead tweeter (pure carelessness on my part). Solder is probably better, but you got to be careful. Crimp connects are good enough. I think most of us use them. After you slide the connect on the driver, give it a little squeeze with pliers to make it good and tight and it will never come off... unless you're planning on playing football with your speaker?
                - Ryan

Comment

• dar47
                  • Nov 2008

What should I use to permanently connect the speaker wire from the crossover to the speaker? Should I solder straighter to the speaker terminals or is it better to use the speaker connectors that crimp onto the wire and the slide onto the speaker terminal.

I was worried that the wire connector might fall off over time. On the other hand soldering to the speaker might make it hard to remove the speaker in the future.
                  Ya as K says. I would also crimp lightly, wire to the connector and solder then crimp to the terminal.

Comment

• BlueBeardo
                    • Dec 2011

unless you're planning on playing football with your speaker?
                    I was thinking hockey...That'd be ok right?

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Hockey? In Texas? :huh:
                      - Ryan

Comment

• BlueBeardo
                        • Dec 2011

Hockey? In Texas? :huh:
                        Probably not the best idea I guess, I'll stick with football. And by the way...
                        Done!!

Image not available

A little homage to ---k---

Image not available​

"artistic" shot (at least what I can do). Ignore the hanging ir sensor.

They sound great! I can't wait to start watching movies with them.
                        Last edited by theSven; 25 July 2023, 10:40 Tuesday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• dar47
                          • Nov 2008

Probably not the best idea I guess, I'll stick with football. And by the way...
                          Done!!

Image not available

A little homage to ---k---

Image not available​

"artistic" shot (at least what I can do). Ignore the hanging ir sensor.

They sound great! I can't wait to start watching movies with them.
                          ​

Very nice looks similar to my set up without the green feet :T

Now move those towers out off the wall to line up with the centre and sub, drop the panel a little and take care of first reflections with some room treatment and you will enjoy even more.
                          Last edited by theSven; 25 July 2023, 10:40 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by dar47
                            Very nice looks similar to my set up without the green feet :T

Now move those towers out off the wall to line up with the centre and sub, drop the panel a little and take care of first reflections with some room treatment and you will enjoy even more.

Now THAT'S what I call a center channel speaker!! VERY NICE!!. I agree with dar47 (dar1 through 46 were not entirely successful!! :lol: )

I would move the speakers out and away from the wall. It will improve your sound quite a bit. It your setup only HT or is music part of the package as well???
                            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• BlueBeardo
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by madmac
                              I would move the speakers out and away from the wall. It will improve your sound quite a bit. It your setup only HT or is music part of the package as well???
                              I'll move them out tonight and see what difference it makes. 99% of the time its HT, but I do occasionally listen to music.

Originally posted by dar47
                              I would prefer not to move the TV panel, it would be a lot of work. I was thinking of putting the center channel on a "U" stand to raise it up closer to the TV. That way all the tweeters on all three speakers would be line up also. What do you think? What kind of room treatments do you recommend? Is there a good thread to read through?

Comment

• fbov
                                • Jun 2008

...What kind of room treatments do you recommend? Is there a good thread to read through?
                                HARMAN International is a global leader in connected car technology, lifestyle audio innovations, design and analytics, cloud services and IoT solutions.

While Toole's book has it all covered, read the 3rd one down "Loudspeakers and Rooms for Sound Reproduction—A Scientific Review" to see what perceptual research says works well for room treatment.

If you then feel it's beneficial to treat the first reflection points, read it again. The one place to treat that never fails to please is behind the speakers, once they're spaced a couple feet off the wall. Here's a build thread; payoff is post 22.
                                Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Have fun,
                                Frank

Comment

• dar47
                                  • Nov 2008

I'll move them out tonight and see what difference it makes. 99% of the time its HT, but I do occasionally listen to music.

I would prefer not to move the TV panel, it would be a lot of work. I was thinking of putting the center channel on a "U" stand to raise it up closer to the TV. That way all the tweeters on all three speakers would be line up also. What do you think? What kind of room treatments do you recommend? Is there a good thread to read through?
                                  Lots of DIY sites, but the basic cheap method I used was to get some 2X2 or smaller wood for a frame. Pick up some of those 4x8 rigid fiber glass ceiling panels, the ones that are vinyl lined. Build a frame, rip the vinyl off the tiles and stake them in the frame, cover with breathable material that you or more importantly! (your partner chooses).

Mount at a 45 deg. from the edge of your towers on side wall to catch first reflections. You can experiment with other locations. You could try a base trap on the corner by the sub too. As your primary thing is home theater you don't want a dead room just first reflections. I think the second biggest bang for the buck is room treatment.

Images not available
                                  Last edited by theSven; 25 July 2023, 10:44 Tuesday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• BlueBeardo
                                    • Dec 2011

Probably the biggest issue I have is that my room is a loft, not an enclosed room. I'm not really sure how to handle that. I'll take a picture tonight.

Comment

• fbov
                                      • Jun 2008

Treat the front wall.

Do not treat anything else until you have treated the front wall. Works in a loft just as well as a small room. Quite likely that this is all you'll feel a need to do... so do it first!

frank

Comment

• ---k---
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2005

That looks great! Really impressive. I'm guessing you enjoyed Iron Man 2. Fun movie.

It may be possible to gain a little something by moving the center up, so the tweeter is equal to the mains. But, mine is below and I don't really notice. Depends on how far back you are and Our brain is really smart and often corrects for this. Toole talks about this in his book too.

The NatP are also ment to be out further in the room. So, you may be getting some extra bass due to this. Maybe you like it that way? Or maybe your receiver EQ is fixing it? Either way, try moving them out a little and see if it is better or worse.

I get less excited about room recommending room treatments these days. Too many schools of thought and it is something your either open to or not.

And, the feet thing was started by CJD. I'm not sure if he set out to start something, but I always seem to be copying him. And, I'm a little confused, 3 different set of feet in that photo. I hope you're all on a sofa and not in a recliner.
                                        - Ryan

Comment

• BlueBeardo
                                          • Dec 2011

I think I might try some room treatment. I'll look into it more. fbov, thanks for the links. I'm thinking probably behind the speakers and in the two front corners.
                                          And, the feet thing was started by CJD. I'm not sure if he set out to start something, but I always seem to be copying him. And, I'm a little confused, 3 different set of feet in that photo. I hope you're all on a sofa and not in a recliner
                                          Well then, thank you CJD. I like the idea. I don't have three sets of feet, I swear. Those are my wife's and daughter's feet. They approved of the set up.:T

Comment

• BlueBeardo
                                            • Dec 2011

It may be possible to gain a little something by moving the center up, so the tweeter is equal to the mains. But, mine is below and I don't really notice. Depends on how far back you are and Our brain is really smart and often corrects for this. Toole talks about this in his book too.
                                            I was thinking about lifting the center up to help with what dar47 suggested by dropping the panel down. I assume he was telling me so that I would have a large reflective surface closer to the top of the speaker. The tweeters lining up was just an added bonus, but may not matter from what you are saying.

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                                              • Dec 2009

very nice set up, I was originally going to build the Khancenter after I finished my NatP but went with a different setup. You are making me jealoussss :-)

Comment

• Bryceo
                                                • May 2012

Looks fantastic

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"