X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spearmint
    • Sep 2004

Seeking advice for new 12" sub design

Reading Kramskoi's thread about his Tumult experience using a sealed enclosure (great read BTW) I am seeking some advice on the best setup for a couple of new subs.

Currently I have 2x 15in subs in ported enclosures tuned to around 15Hz, and these perform magically for both 2ch & HT. My trouble is now that I have a 2ch pre with HT bypass, and my HT both in the same setup, I am going to add 2x more subs to fill in the bottom end of my mains for 2ch duties only.

Currently the M&K sub is doing the 2ch duties (very well I might add it is just I want stereo subs) and will be replaced by the 2x new subs which I will probably locate behind the mains.

I have on order 2x 12” Tumults and 2x ADA1200 plate amps. These are still a couple of weeks away from being delivered.

What is a preferred design i.e. sealed/ported and suitable enclosure size for these subs bearing in mind that their primary duties are as stereo subs to extend my mains, although who knows what they may get used for around the corner.
    Last edited by theSven; 30 September 2023, 22:22 Saturday. Reason: Update url
    Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "
  • Jack Gilvey
    • Aug 2001

If all you're doing is extending the depth of your mains for stereo listening (as opposed to LFE reproduction), why not build some small sealed boxes and use the ADA1200's built-in LT circuit?

On the surface, a pair of those amps seems an expensive way to go about it, though. Why that route, instead of a something like a stereo pro amp and a DEQ2496?

Comment

• Spearmint
      • Sep 2004

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the response.

I realise the amps are expensive, but I couldn’t find a reasonable priced quiet pro amp that could deliver enough power unless I went for two amps and used them in bridged mode, and some of the cheaper ones don’t like low impedance when in bridged mode.

Anyway the thing is both drivers & amps are on order, and was just wondering what type & size of box to install them in.

And if in a sealed box what the LT circuit would need to be?
      Richard

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
        • Aug 2001

And if in a sealed box what the LT circuit would need to be?
        All depends on the FR/Qtc/F3 you're looking for. I'd choose a box appropriate to provide excursion protection at the lowest frequencies and go from there as far as LT is concerned. I'd bet DanW could suggest a nice config for the combo for a stereo music setup.

Comment

• Spearmint
          • Sep 2004

Thanks Jack!

I thought these drivers and amps would have been popular on here with a few designs already in the system.

I'll send Dan an Email.
          Richard

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The 15" Tumults have always been popular with the 'cost-is-no-object' folks. The 12's are brand new, you're the first person I'm aware of who's ordered any.

Although the Adire' are probably the best plate amps made, for that amount of money you could grab a Crown K2. 800+ watts/channel is more than enough to drive a couple of 12"s. Since the Tumults are closer to a 3 ohm load, the K2 power would be virtually 1000 watts/channel

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Spearmint
              • Sep 2004

Thanks Thomas,

I thought about the Crown K2 but at $4495 Aus retail I can get the 2x 12D2 drivers, ada1200 amps and cabinets for less than the cost of the K2 alone.

I realise I could get some discount off the K2, although how much I'm not sure.
              Richard

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Oops, forgot the Australia part.... ops:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                  • Aug 2001

A quick Unibox sim shows you don't need a very large box at all, 1-1.5ft^3 looks great as far as excursion, and the natural unassisted f3/fc under 40Hz might be perfect for your room even before taking the LT into account.

Comment

• Spearmint
                    • Sep 2004

That’s okay Thomas, something’s are reasonably priced downunder and others well you just look to alternatives.

Thanks Jack, I appreciate you taking the time to run the numbers. :T
                    Richard

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"