18W/8531G00 sealed vs ported, any experience?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmed
    • Dec 2006

18W/8531G00 sealed vs ported, any experience?

Has anyone compared the 18W/8531G00 in sealed vs ported? Which do you prefer? Im debating whether I should have them ported vs sealed with a sub?

G
  • Rick Craig
    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by gmed
    Has anyone compared the 18W/8531G00 in sealed vs ported? Which do you prefer? Im debating whether I should have them ported vs sealed with a sub?

G
    I've used it sealed for subwoofer use and it works very well with a -3db point around 55hz (.75 cubic ft.).

Comment

• Paul W
      • Oct 2004

I put them in a large enclosure intending to try them both ported and low-Q sealed (port plugged). After comparison, I also used them sealed with a sub. Excellent bass for their size.
      Paul

Comment

• TacoD
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2004

Like I said before, the designer of this woofer recommends 22l ported. I hate this kind of discussions, you can try both enclousers. The price of MDF isn't that high.

Comment

• gmed
          • Dec 2006

Taco, I appreciate you pointing out the PDF file, and it was very helpful, but there is no need for attacking.

Comment

• TacoD
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2004

Sorry, but I did want to point out that you have to explore some things for yourself.

Comment

• Xmax BR
              • Jun 2006

Dears,

I would like to create a truly DIY hi-end speaker and I had some difficulty choosing the drivers.

This MID 18W/8531G00 can be considered TOP for a 3-way speaker?

My idea is to make a 3-way in configuration TMWW and I thought the following components:

Tweeter - Morel SUPREME130 Offset Dome
              Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Mid - ??????? ops:
              Please, any suggest?

Woofer - 2 x ScanSpeak 26W/4867T00

Sorry for my bad English for write, but a read without problem.

Tks,

Renato - From Brazil

Comment

• TacoD
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2004

I've used the Morel 110 (the non offset 130) from 1800 Hz and upwards, so a 7" mid is within reach. My experience with the 26W/8867T00 (the 8 ohm version) shows that this driver is also rather flexible, two of them would yield a sensitivity of ~90 dB/W/m (including bafflestep and estimated room gain). I would recommend to use 2X 26W/8867T00 in parallel instead of 2X 26W/4867T00 (parallel or series)

The 87 dB sensitivity of the 18W/8531G00 would be rather difficult to integrate. Due the bandpass filter in the XO you could yield somewhat more than this, but all in all I think you should look for a more sensitive mid driver. The 18W/4531G00, is more sensitive, however, than the impedance of your speaker could drop below 4 Ohm around the lower cross-over point.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"