X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AdelaaR
    • Dec 2010

That would be very kind. ^^
    I found a nice one with an inner diameter of 83mm being 3.3"
    It has flares on both sides and is adjustable in length with a max of 263mm being 10.4"
    Is it possible or even beneficial to mount the port in the front?
    I ask this because my room will be reflection-free and I want to actually hear the bass
    I would mount it close to the bottom of the cabinet in that case.

Comment

• Curt C
      • Feb 2005

What is the flare radius?

How is it adjustable? Does one half of the tube slide inside the other? If so we'll need the inner diameter of both halves...

The port output is omnidirectional at the frequencies in its pass band. The bass will be no more audible with front mounting. Generally, I consider it beneficial to mount the port on the back or bottom. I'm not a big fan of front ports as the extraneous noise off of the back of the woofer cones find their way out and potentially color the sound of the bass and lower midrange. -Of course these are your speakers, and you get to build them however you want. Front ports won't kill the design, should you choose to go that way.

C
      Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• AdelaaR
        • Dec 2010

Those sliding things don't seem very professional to me ... I believe a grand speaker like the statements deserves better

It's a design in multiple pieces en can be cut to length.
        It's called: MBR-80M
        Inside diameter: 83mm
        Outside diameter 89mm
        Max length: 263mm
        Flange outer diameter: 124mm
        The length of the flanges isn't mentioned but it looks to be about 20mm
        The width is consistent over the length.

Comment

• Curt C
          • Feb 2005

I agree.
          Although there is nothing inherently wrong with the sliders, there will be some relatively insignificant issues resulting from the abrupt change in diameter at the transition.

I’d suggest for an 83 mm diameter, and 124 mm flares, I’d cut the tube to about 14 cm, or about 1.5” longer than the 4” length shown on the drawing for the 3” port. A small variation in length will make only a microscopic difference in port tuning, so close will definitely be good enough in this instance.

C

Comment

• AdelaaR
            • Dec 2010

Thanks for helping me with this man.
            So by "cut the tube to about 14cm" you mean the length of the tube without the flares, right?
            That would be a nice length because I probably won't have to cut then but can simply leave out a piece of the tube ... I hear the Tao talking to me right now

Comment

• Curt C
              • Feb 2005

Right! 14 cm w/o the flares. I'm presuming the flare radius and length are proportional to the 3" ones we have access to here...

C

Comment

• GOWA
                • Apr 2007

Curt,
                I would reccomend no more information with a box of chocolates in return. LOL!
                No matter where you go, there you are.

Website

Comment

• AdelaaR
                  • Dec 2010

I was already contemplating all kinds of rewards because Curt is indeed being far too kind here but it'll have to wait untill the project has been completed

Comment

• AdelaaR
                    • Dec 2010

I've got a question again ...
                    The statements are made from MDF.
                    There is a variant called HDF that is denser and stronger than the normal MDF though.
                    Is it sensible to use HDF for the statements and would they gain strength or is the added cost not worth it?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by AdelaaR
                      I've got a question again ...
                      The statements are made from MDF.
                      There is a variant called HDF that is denser and stronger than the normal MDF though.
                      Is it sensible to use HDF for the statements and would they gain strength or is the added cost not worth it?
                      I guess it would depend on how much more money it costs. If it's not too much, I'd give it a try and see. Stiffer is ALWAYS better.

Jim

Comment

• AdelaaR
                        • Dec 2010

I got my drivers in the mail yesterday
                        I don't have all of the crossover parts yet and no MDF either, but I couldn't hold myself so I found an old piece of MDF and mounted some drivers in it.
                        Obviously it didn't sound too well ... but I got to hear them at least.

Image not available

I know it doesn't look good either ... it was made without any measurement and in half an hour
                        Last edited by theSven; 02 August 2023, 16:35 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• mischmat
                          • Feb 2010

Hah, open baffle statements!! hrm...

Comment

• AdelaaR
                            • Dec 2010

Did a little impression of what my statements could look like:

Image not available

I have some nice hardwood here that is 25cm in width so I thought about using that and compensating the total width of the baffle by adding an MDF rounded "frame" to the front plate.

Still contemplating ... what do you think of it?
                            Last edited by theSven; 02 August 2023, 16:36 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• AdelaaR
                              • Dec 2010

A few more questions:
                              Is the thickness of the front plate of importance?
                              I ask this because I plan on using hardwood I have lying around here but it is thicker than the plans of the statements state.
                              I just received my bassports and resistors in the mail today ... the resistors seem to be square and of the ceramic type ... I hope and assume this shouldn't be a problem, right?

Comment

• sawdust
                                • May 2009

I got my drivers in the mail yesterday
                                I don't have all of the crossover parts yet and no MDF either, but I couldn't hold myself so I found an old piece of MDF and mounted some drivers in it.
                                Obviously it didn't sound too well ... but I got to hear them at least.

Image not available

I know it doesn't look good either ... it was made without any measurement and in half an hour

AdelaaR,

Is that a Sansui AU-9900/TU-9900 combo you have in that picture? My brother owned that combo. I have the late 70's AU-717/TU-717 combo. Really good stuff and still worth some money! :T

Good luck with your Statements. Here's mine:
                                I finished my Statements build this weekend! I'm loving them! Jim, Curt, Wayne, thank you so much. Can someone let me know what size pics I should upload? I have some pics of the finished build. Thanks.
                                Last edited by theSven; 02 August 2023, 16:36 Wednesday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                  • Dec 2010

That is indeed a Sansui AU-9900/TU-9900 combo!
                                  There's a story that comes with them also ... if you care to hear it.

I work as a freelance internet and digital TV installman for Belgium's telephone company and one day I was installing internet for this old lady in this nice house ... in her attic, next to her computer, was standing this beautifull stereo set.
                                  I had never seen such a beautifull set and it was in pristine condition ... so I complemented her on it and said: "nice vintage set you got there".
                                  She answered straight away: "you want? It's my late husband's and it's been standing there doing nothing for 20 years ... it's too heavy for me to move and if you take it all you can have it".
                                  The set had the AU-9900 and TU-9900 and also the SR-929 turntable.
                                  I thought I had scored there and was pretty happy but it wasn't till later at home when I looked this thing up on the internet that I realised she gave me a gift of more than $1000
                                  There were also some vintage Sansui SP-1200 speakers included and all of it was as new.

This gift actually got me to wanting new speakers to match the quality of the amplifier and so I ended up here building the statements

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                    • Dec 2010

I know your statement build btw, sawdust.
                                    It's gorgeous and I actually used a portion of one of your images to make my impression of what my statements could look like a few posts ago ... I hope you don't mind

Comment

• sawdust
                                      • May 2009

That is indeed a Sansui AU-9900/TU-9900 combo!
                                      There's a story that comes with them also ... if you care to hear it.

I work as a freelance internet and digital TV installman for Belgium's telephone company and one day I was installing internet for this old lady in this nice house ... in her attic, next to her computer, was standing this beautifull stereo set.
                                      I had never seen such a beautifull set and it was in pristine condition ... so I complemented her on it and said: "nice vintage set you got there".
                                      She answered straight away: "you want? It's my late husband's and it's been standing there doing nothing for 20 years ... it's too heavy for me to move and if you take it all you can have it".
                                      The set had the AU-9900 and TU-9900 and also the SR-929 turntable.
                                      I thought I had scored there and was pretty happy but it wasn't till later at home when I looked this thing up on the internet that I realised she gave me a gift of more than $1000
                                      There were also some vintage Sansui SP-1200 speakers included and all of it was as new.

This gift actually got me to wanting new speakers to match the quality of the amplifier and so I ended up here building the statements
                                      Wow, that is an awesome story. Good for you! I like the idea of having the inputs and outputs on the side of the chassis rather than the back. One of the high end audio magazines used the TU-9900 as their reference tuner by which to compare all others back in the day. Sansui was one of the very best hi-fi manufacturers until about the early to mid 80's. They are no longer the same company, bought out by others I believe.

I don't mind you using part of an image of mine. We are all here to help and support one another! Looking forward to your build!

Comment

• Curt C
                                        • Feb 2005

A few more questions:
                                        Is the thickness of the front plate of importance?
                                        I ask this because I plan on using hardwood I have lying around here but it is thicker than the plans of the statements state.
                                        I just received my bassports and resistors in the mail today ... the resistors seem to be square and of the ceramic type ... I hope and assume this shouldn't be a problem, right?
                                        Thicker is better as long as you scallop the backside of the driver holes to minimize cavity resonances. The thicker the front baffle, the deeper and larger the scallop requirement.

IMO, the sandcast resistors in general are certainly acceptable. Without stirring up a controversy, let me say that certain small audible differences may be detectable between resistors, and there are boutique resistor vendors out there who are more than willing to pry the hard earned Euros out of your hands for their version of resistive sonic nirvana.
                                        My suggestion would be to use what you have with the idea that at some time in the future you can experiment with different types/brands to see which you prefer or to determine if the differences are even audible to you. Personally I like the Mills resistors, and have been using the Mundorf MOX resistors lately as a cost effective option.

Vintage Sansui was good equipment, and was the go to component of choice for this poor college boy back in the day. I think it sounded as good as the equivalent Marantz products of the day, but wasn't quite as popular. -Probably because Sansui lacked the blue illumination and 'Gyro' tuning we all lusted after...

C

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                          • Dec 2010

I've been listening to various old freebee seventies speakers for all my life so the statements will be a HUGE upgrade for me no matter what the quality of the resistors is.
                                          I've got pretty good ears and I could budgetwise get better crossover components but at a certain point the return on investment simply isn't worth it anymore for me.

Speaking of crossovers ... I just glued together some of them:

Image not available

I didn't solder them yet for 2 reasons: first off I don't have a soldering iron yet and secondly I want to wait and let the glue dry first.
                                          I'll try to find some time this weekend to purchase my first actual soldering iron.
                                          Last edited by theSven; 02 August 2023, 16:42 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                            • Dec 2010

"Probably because Sansui lacked the blue illumination"

After I got sucked in by the mesmerizing green illumination of the TU-9900 ... I'll never want anything else!

Comment

• sawdust
                                              • May 2009

"Probably because Sansui lacked the blue illumination"

After I got sucked in by the mesmerizing green illumination of the TU-9900 ... I'll never want anything else!
                                              Smiling...

Click image for larger version

Name:	TU-9900b.webp
Views:	85
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	946750
                                              Last edited by theSven; 02 August 2023, 16:33 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• cbark
                                                • Jan 2010

Wow! That thing looks brand new!

Comment

• Curt C
                                                  • Feb 2005

A solid looking piece of kit, for sure...

Anyone else remember we called this type of frequency scale a slide rule dial?
                                                  How many of you even remember slide rules? 8O
                                                  I've still got my old Post at home in a box somewhere...

C

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                    • Dec 2010

The solidity of both the amp and tuner is extreme with the front plates being brushed aluminum and the amp weighing over 18 kilos!
                                                    I do not remember the slide rule reference because I wasn't even born yet.
                                                    Both my amp and me were made in 1979.
                                                    I did however own a slide rule but this has to do with my interest in mathematics as a child.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                      • Dec 2010

I made one crossover for the midrange today:

Image not available

It looks a bit weird and crowded because I used multiple combinations to get to the right values:

6,8µF+2,2µF to get 9µF
                                                      0,15mH+0,15mH to get 0,30mH
                                                      1,5ohm+1,5ohm to get 3ohm
                                                      1,8ohm+2,2ohm to get 4ohm

I can't make the second one yet because the shop mistakenly did not send me the needed parts for the induction yet ... hope they will set this straight soon.
                                                      Last edited by theSven; 02 August 2023, 16:42 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• MarkL
                                                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Curt C
                                                        AdelaaR,

The center channel is a different story: Ideally, the center should be capable of the same max SPL and bandwidth as the mains, as it carries the majority of the information in HT venues. It also should be closely voiced to the mains.

Using a pair of 1337’s will gain 6 dB of SPL, but used full range (as in the F4’s) the comb filter effects from the two drivers will be cause significant response aberration, and will vary significantly depending on the listening position. The lack of a real tweeter will be quite obvious, as would the lack of bass response due to the required high pass filter. Even Jed’s R44 (and D44) would, in my opinion be unacceptable used on their side, due to the high crossover frequency to the tweeter.

C
                                                        Curt,

Would using a tweeter with a lower xover point (say, the SS HDS, with an xover around 1500) allow the S44 (as I guess it would be called!) to be a decent center? I know the Statements have a center channel already, and there are multiple variations of it, but I need something 7" tall or less. Was excited about the R/D44 until I saw your comments.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                          • Dec 2010

I don't believe in spikes so my custom statements will have rubber feet instead of the original base with spikes and I have decided I will place the bass port on the front panel.
                                                          Because of the lack of a base and spikes the tweeter will be too low ... so my question is: would it be okay to move all the drivers more to the top of the baffle?
                                                          The spacing between the drivers would remain exactly the same, ofcourse
                                                          I would move them the same distance as the height of the base with spikes would have been so to have the tweeter in exactly the same spot as originally intended.

Comment

• Curt C
                                                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by MarkL
                                                            Curt,

Would using a tweeter with a lower xover point (say, the SS HDS, with an xover around 1500) allow the S44 (as I guess it would be called!) to be a decent center? I know the Statements have a center channel already, and there are multiple variations of it, but I need something 7" tall or less. Was excited about the R/D44 until I saw your comments.
                                                            We would be getting there, but I don't think anyone has designed a CC using those drivers yet...

Something 7" tall or less:

C

Comment

• Curt C
                                                              • Feb 2005

I don't believe in spikes so my custom statements will have rubber feet instead of the original base with spikes and I have decided I will place the bass port on the front panel.
                                                              Because of the lack of a base and spikes the tweeter will be too low ... so my question is: would it be okay to move all the drivers more to the top of the baffle?
                                                              The spacing between the drivers would remain exactly the same, ofcourse
                                                              I would move them the same distance as the height of the base with spikes would have been so to have the tweeter in exactly the same spot as originally intended.
                                                              The only advantage I see with spikes in a speaker this massive, is they won't leave permanent indentations in the carpet. No carpet, no need. Use 3 feet so they don't wobble. The sealed version of the statements moved the drivers up 2" on the baffle. You might be able to squeeze a bit more out, but I can't say if it would make an audible difference or not. You might also consider keeping the overall height the same, and use the extra space at the bottom for a crossover compartment. There are some potential advantages from removing the crossover components from the acoustic energy of the enclosure, and it makes access a bit easier as well...

Keep in mind the base is also to keep them reasonably safe from tipping and potentially harming children and small animals.

C

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                                • Dec 2010

"children and small animals" !
                                                                Funny thing is I woke up this morning with exactly the same idea of making a bottom compartment for the crossover.
                                                                The statements will be located in my studio which will be off limits to children (and small animals) so tipping over isn't an issue and due to personal taste I do not like the look of the wider base so I want to make it nice and lean.
                                                                If the crossover is in a seperate compartment I can certainly see why this would be better in general but couldn't that create another problem with heat dissapation?
                                                                Is a crossover supposed to be vented to be able to lose excess heat?

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                                  • Dec 2010

The audio shop sent me the two little inductors they forgot and so now all crossovers are done:

Image not available

I never thought speakers housed such enormous and complicated electronic circuits. 8O
                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 02 August 2023, 16:43 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Curt C
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2005

Only the well turned out ones, which includes most DIY designs...
                                                                    Many commercial designs accept compromises in performance to save a few pennies in crossover parts.

C

Comment

• Trompie
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2010

Hi AdelaaR its some good progress your making on your speaker project.

I would also like to know how much heat a crossover produce in a closed enclosure. I think it will much depend on how "hard you driven" the speaker.

Trompie

Comment

• Cort
                                                                        • Dec 2010

For my mni's fully driven by my emo upa-5. The resistors get warm but not to hot to touch. At normal volume levels they stay at room temp. I did have one that was heating up but it turned out to be a bad solder joint. So I doubt even in a seald enclosure that heat build up would be an issue as long as thier is an inch or so of free air above them.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2010

My resistors are rated at 20W so they should be able to take a beating
                                                                          Still ... if I make a separate compartment for the crossover I may want to make sure it has some air intake because in sealed speakers at least the air next to the crossovers is moving all the time.
                                                                          Does anyone know for sure if this is necessary?

Comment

• Curt C
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2005
                                                                            • 791

While it appears thermal management is only necessary at very high SPLs, it is always good practice to design a product to exceed its worst possible conditions. Since in a sealed enclosure there is not so much air movement, but pressurization and rarefaction, most of the cooling will be by convection. Conventional in-cab mounting of the crossover should provide sufficient airflow presuming said airflow isn't impeded by the stuffing, or constrained by mounting too close to an enclosure wall. When the crossover is housed in a separate small enclosure, effective cooling suggests inlets and outlets designed to promote convective airflow. The 20W resistors should be sufficient here, regardless.

C

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2010
                                                                              • 480

#83
                                                                              Thinking about it some more .... seperate crossover compartments it is!
                                                                              Another thing: I've seen some high end diy speakers using bitumen lining on the inside of the cabinets to dampen resonances. Would it be beneficial for the statements to do this or is this unnecessary in this design?
                                                                              The actual bitumen liner for speakers is pretty expensive but I was thinking about using pads of roofing for it.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2010
                                                                                • 480

#84
                                                                                Yay ... I found a woodstore in Gent that sells pre-veneered MDF with various options for the veneering
                                                                                Got a brochure in my hands now ... difficult choice.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2010
                                                                                  • 480

#85
                                                                                  No-one on the bitumen stuff? (or is it a silly question somehow?)

Comment

• Curt C
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2005
                                                                                    • 791

#86
                                                                                    Not silly. Perhaps some confusion as we call bitumen roofing felt or tar paper over here...

Depending on the thickness of the bitumen, I'd suggest using 3 to 4 layers to cover each of the panels. Vance Dickason (Author of the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook) suggests affixing it loosely, with a pan head screw in each corner, and perhaps one in the middle. -For it to function as intended it needs some freedom of movement. I've used it in a couple of designs, but never tried it both ways, so I can't say how much of an audible difference it made. -But it certainly can't hurt anything to use it, and the potential for improvement is there. For a commercial option, Wispermat and BlackHole5 use a loaded vinyl layer in their products to accomplish much the same task.

Unlike foam or stuffing, it does displace and reduce the cabinet volume, so keep that in mind when utilizing it.

C

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2010
                                                                                      • 480

#87
                                                                                      I was tinkering around with the drivers and noticed that the woofers have soft rubberlike foam surrounds on the bottom of their edges but the drivers for the midrange do not have this. I assume this is important to make sure the drivers are installed airtight and free of resonances.
                                                                                      So how do you install these drivers then? Do you make some custom DIY rubber surrounds? How was this accomplished in the original statements?
                                                                                      I build my flat roof above the kitchen last year and so I have some leftover rubbery stuff I could easily use to cut out round pieces for this job.

Comment

• sawdust
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2009
                                                                                        • 105

#88
                                                                                        I was tinkering around with the drivers and noticed that the woofers have soft rubberlike foam surrounds on the bottom of their edges but the drivers for the midrange do not have this. I assume this is important to make sure the drivers are installed airtight and free of resonances.
                                                                                        So how do you install these drivers then? Do you make some custom DIY rubber surrounds? How was this accomplished in the original statements?
                                                                                        I build my flat roof above the kitchen last year and so I have some leftover rubbery stuff I could easily use to cut out round pieces for this job.

I used a product that was intended for weatherproofing windows. It is a foam product from 3M with self-stick tape on one side. Should be available at hardware stores or home stores. It comes in various widths and thicknesses.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2010
                                                                                          • 480

#89
                                                                                          Yeah I know that stuff ... is it easy to make it round in such a small circle?
                                                                                          I was thinking about cutting circles from a big sheet because I doubted the long stretches could be rounded that small.

Comment

• sawdust
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • May 2009
                                                                                            • 105

#90
                                                                                            Yeah I know that stuff ... is it easy to make it round in such a small circle?
                                                                                            I was thinking about cutting circles from a big sheet because I doubted the long stretches could be rounded that small.

I had no problem forming it around the Tang Band mids. I think there are differing densities of the foam, but the one I used was a gray color open cell foam and was very flexible. Worked very well.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"