You're gonna love this.... Greek Column Sonosub!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chasw98
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
    Nope just thinking you could revolutionize the SAF/WAF issue with the concept (it is a very clever idea.... :T ). So just trying to help you get your 15 min of fame....:wink:
    I've already had my 15 minutes, long time ago, far, far, away. But you do raise the idea of the possibility of putting these subs into designer components that would normally be found in a home. I mean, I have seen them built into coffee tables, end tables, chest of drawers, etc. If we really thought about it there are probably some other "home" items that could be disguised as a sub and yet pleasing to the SAF/WAF side. Think about a brick outdoor BBQ with 4 18 inch drivers and a few thousand watts in the back yard.... No problem with reflections :T

Comment

• steve nn
      • Jan 2006

I've read that poor self esteem causes this issue.
      Oh dear, I'm in trouble for sure.. that's a 12.5' ceiling. I made a few calls and no counselor that I got in touch with would take on a bass head (no hope)..of course I was searching for you Chuck. :P

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1904.webp
Views:	103
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	947866
      Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 09:33 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• SteveCallas
        • Aug 2005

Giggity giggity giggity :lol:

Comment

• chasw98
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

We may be good people, but we have a little bit of sickness. She has decided to go with the fancy capital I posted a few answers back. She was very excited and jumping up and down over it.

Steve nn, you're welcome to lay down on the virtual couch and spill your problems anytime!

SteveC, giggity giggity giggity. I don't know. You need to get that house and those other monsters built.

What is it about "Steve" and bass. Is there a correlation? I need a government grant to explore this phenomenon.

Comment

• SteveCallas
            • Aug 2005

You need to get that house and those other monsters built.
            Getting the monsters built is no problem - getting a decent house....a bit tougher :B Back in Lafayette, you could get a good house for $175. Here in St. Louis, I'm looking at $210 minimum just for something decent. I think I'm making good money for my age, but the idea of taking a big loan and paying so much in interest over the years doesn't interest me too much. I'm patient though - the Three Amigos will unite one day to form a trifecta of limitless bass capability.

Comment

• chasw98
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by SteveCallas
              Getting the monsters built is no problem - getting a decent house....a bit tougher :B Back in Lafayette, you could get a good house for $175. Here in St. Louis, I'm looking at $210 minimum just for something decent. I think I'm making good money for my age, but the idea of taking a big loan and paying so much in interest over the years doesn't interest me too much. I'm patient though - the Three Amigos will unite one day to form a trifecta of limitless bass capability.
              Try it down here in Florida. Mine was 275, has risen to 350, and is really just a 150! Go figure real estate.

Comment

• BobEllis
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Aww, Qwitcherwhining! 350 might get you into a single family house near here, but do you want decent schools with that? 210 won't get you a 900 square foot condo. There are lots of places worse, too. There seems to be a pretty direct correlation between where you might like to live and cost of housing. Go figure.

Comment

• soho54
                  • Dec 2005

$210?!? A month? With A/C and no roaches? Where was that again? Here $450 will get you A/C, and $600 will get rid of the roaches. My 900 sqft duplex is $750! You've got to be talking weekly, right?

Comment

• soho54
                    • Dec 2005

maybe $210,000 ?

Comment

• joecarrow
                      • Apr 2005

well, if we're talking about real estate...

I think they're leaving off about three zeros. I just moved out of a 600 square foot condo in Berkeley, CA that the owner was trying to sell for $375,000. You want a back yard in the San Francisco bay area? The average price of a house in SF county is $875,000, and the cheapest county in the area (Solano, I believe) averages $450,000.

I can't wait to get out of this area and get a garage! I envy you guys with your $200,000 houses.
                      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• SteveCallas
                        • Aug 2005

$210?!? A month? With A/C and no roaches? Where was that again? Here $450 will get you A/C, and $600 will get rid of the roaches. My 900 sqft duplex is $750! You've got to be talking weekly, right?
                        Lol, my apartment is $750 as well, but I was talking $210,000, and that is at the southern outskirts of the city for 15+ year old homes. If I moved closer in or looked to west of St. Louis, which is the more upscale area, things really start getting ridiculous. 210 is the bare minimum I'm looking at paying, and being one year out of college, it's not too enticing.

No offense, but someone would have to be paying me to get me to live in California :B

Comment

• opt-e
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by joecarrow
                          I think they're leaving off about three zeros. I just moved out of a 600 square foot condo in Berkeley, CA that the owner was trying to sell for $375,000. You want a back yard in the San Francisco bay area? The average price of a house in SF county is $875,000, and the cheapest county in the area (Solano, I believe) averages $450,000.

I can't wait to get out of this area and get a garage! I envy you guys with your $200,000 houses.
                          Ditto for Vancouver. In the past 10 years prices have doubled, tripled, and quadrupled in some cases. :E Doesn't help that we're hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics in four years. Not a good time for potential first time home owners such as myself. Definately a seller's market these days.

Comment

• chasw98
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by opt-e
                            Ditto for Vancouver. In the past 10 years prices have doubled, tripled, and quadrupled in some cases. :E Doesn't help that we're hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics in four years. Not a good time for potential first time home owners such as myself. Definately a seller's market these days.
                            I don't know. Firt time home owners in the states can get some incredible financing. Then you turn the house in 3 or 4 years and walk away with a healthy down payment for the place you really want and can afford.

Yes, a garage is nirvana! 3 & 4 car garages are really heaven sent! A barn out back would be incredible, too.

About 10 years ago, when I lived in Aspen, CO. the bottom line price of a home was at 1 million dollars. Then the city realized that no one who had to work could live near their so they started employee housing projects where you could get a 2 bedroom condo for around 300,000. Try being a waiter or waitress and making those payments. Why it would be hard to afford a sonosub at those prices!

Comment

• JoshK
                              • Mar 2005

Here $400K will get you a 400-500sqft 1 bedroom condo at the very most. Houses start around $600K and that is in a dicey neighborhood.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                • Aug 2005

Geez, I hope you guys are all making 150+ a year.

Comment

• chasw98
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2006

And on the subject of Greek columns..... This capital will cost $440.70, take a 3 week lead time, shipping is extra, and ,get this, weigh 170 pounds. The good news is that there is a 9 inch diameter hole in the center. The measurement at the top is approx. 30 3/4" square. They recommend a 27" square base.

Click image for larger version  Name:	decorativecapital_empire_bg.webp Views:	0 Size:	5.3 KB ID:	947865

I hope a 16 inch sonotube will hold up a 170 pound load on top of it. Needs some more investigation, I think.
                                  Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 09:34 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by chasw98
                                    And on the subject of Greek columns..... This capital will cost $440.70, take a 3 week lead time, shipping is extra, and ,get this, weigh 170 pounds. The good news is that there is a 9 inch diameter hole in the center. The measurement at the top is approx. 30 3/4" square. They recommend a 27" square base.

Click image for larger version Name:	decorativecapital_empire_bg.webp Views:	0 Size:	5.3 KB ID:	947865

I hope a 16 inch sonotube will hold up a 170 pound load on top of it. Needs some more investigation, I think.
                                    ​

Cast plaster is heavy. Might continue shopping to see if you can find some made with structural foam. Much lower weigh and significantly lower cost.

Remember the ID/OD thing with regard to the tube and the opening in the capitals
                                    Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 09:35 Sunday. Reason: Update quote

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonW
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2006

Chuck-

Interesting project. For what it's worth...

I'm going to guess that having one column sub is going to look a bit odd, when actually placed in the room. These things tend to look _much_ better in pairs. So that leads to the idea of either making one column sub and one dummy sub to match. OR: Two smaller, matching subs to get the same output as one big one. That could help with the weight of some of the tops you're finding, if there are smaller versions available.

And I have to say: This is now officially the most mature discussion board on the entire web. Chuck posts a picture of this lady and not a single comment in response. :T

Comment

• chasw98
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JonW
                                        Chuck-

I'm going to guess that having one column sub is going to look a bit odd, when actually placed in the room. These things tend to look _much_ better in pairs. So that leads to the idea of either making one column sub and one dummy sub to match. OR: Two smaller, matching subs to get the same output as one big one. That could help with the weight of some of the tops you're finding, if there are smaller versions available.

And I have to say: This is now officially the most mature discussion board on the entire web. Chuck posts a picture of this lady and not a single comment in response. :T
                                        Thats why I think she will end up with a second full size column in her room. She already has 2 columns in the room.
                                        Either the most mature or we all just hide out and gaze.....

Comment

• chasw98
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                          Cast plaster is heavy. Might continue shopping to see if you can find some made with structural foam. Much lower weigh and significantly lower cost.

Remember the ID/OD thing with regard to the tube and the opening in the capitals
                                          I agree. I need to find a lighter weight solution. Money is not really the object here. She was very happy to pay for what I found so far here, but I just have this price/performance thing in my genes that makes me search all possibilities. I did learn that when you buy a capital that says 16 inch for a tapered column, it is really 14 inches at the base. I was told I needed an 18 inch capital to fit on top of a 16 inch sonotube. The goods news is that they have a 9 inch circle cut in the center that will accomadate a 6 inch port quite nicely. Thanks, Thomas

Comment

• w8liftr
                                            • May 2006

Chuck, I have seen those made of cast foam before, like ThomasW said, much lower weight and cost. I'll check a few sources around here and let you know if anything turns up.

Comment

• chasw98
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by w8liftr
                                              Chuck, I have seen those made of cast foam before, like ThomasW said, much lower weight and cost. I'll check a few sources around here and let you know if anything turns up.
                                              Oh, yeah!!!! Check this out (picture me dancing!).

Fancy Column Caps, Corinthian, Temple of Winds, Ionic, Tulip, Wall Caps, Cut Coral Columns, Shutters, Balustrades,

And guess where they are located?

3510 N.W. 53rd Street

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309

They are less than 5 miles from house!
                                              Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 09:39 Sunday. Reason: Update url

Comment

• w8liftr
                                                • May 2006

Cool.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                  • Aug 2005

It's a small world

Comment

• JonW
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jan 2006

Thats why I think she will end up with a second full size column in her room. She already has 2 columns in the room.
                                                    Sounds good. One lone column would look odd. Having that second one should help the asthetics, I'd think.

And they say that Florida has no culture. Hah! Foam reproductions of ancient Greece. How can that not be called culture?! :P

Either the most mature or we all just hide out and gaze.....
                                                    Yeah, or we're just getting too old and slow for such things... :unsure: :P

Comment

• chasw98
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JonW
                                                      And they say that Florida has no culture. Hah! Foam reproductions of ancient Greece. How can that not be called culture?! :P

Yeah, or we're just getting too old and slow for such things... :unsure: :P
                                                      Florida has culture. Their biggest request is to paint faux columns in a coral color!

I will be too old when I get too slow for such things 8O

Comment

• JonW
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Jan 2006

Florida has culture. Their biggest request is to paint faux columns in a coral color!
                                                        I guess it would be a "fusion" culture combining the local Florida coral with a nod to the ancient Greeks, then sprinkled atop with good ol' American synthetic, petroleum-based materials. :B

And thinking more about the broader implications of your project here...
                                                        This could work for so many more clients and audiences... I see subs for many different people:

-Make it a square column, with a pointy top, like the Washington Monument, for history buffs.

-A rounded top sonosub with aluminum sheeting around, looking like a grain silo, for the farmers in need of deep bass.

-Put fins around the lower part of a sonosub and a cone on top, for the NASA rockets scientists.

-Cover one in bark, have branches sticking out the sides, for the more eco-minded bass lovers. Or just people who like large house plants.

You get the idea.

Comment

• chasw98
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

Here is what FedEx did to my RL-p15 driver. It went from SS outside of Los Angeles to Orlando, Florida, then back to Los Angeles, and finally to South Florida. It took approx. 10 days for all this. Then I open it up........ 8O 8O

Name:	DSCN3821.webp
Views:	93
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	947867
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 09:39 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• WillyD
                                                            • Feb 2006

Oh the HORROR! :E

And people complain about UPS.

Comment

• derekbannatyne
                                                              • Jan 2006

Wow how does that even happen?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

Yikes, looks like it was dropped off the conveyer belt at the sorting facility. Or thrown out of the back of the delivery truck.

Over the years I've had more significantly problems with FedEx than UPS ...FedEx Ground consists primarily of subcontractors and isn't nearly as good as regular FedEx.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                                                                  • Jun 2006

That's enough to make a grown man cry...and smack the FedEx guy on his next trip.

Comment

• palmtree
                                                                    • Apr 2006

Yep, I'm gonna use the tried and true classic of the moment. RL-p15 D2, EP2500, BFD. Can you check my modeling for 7.75 cu feet in a 16 inch tube and 35 inch port length, 6 inch diameter for a 16 Hz tune? Thanks.
                                                                    will you wire the EP2500 so it sees 2 Ohms on each channel? That is a lot of power.

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Unfortunantly, Mike was out of D2's so I got a D4. I will run 4 ohms on each channel. I currently run my D4 wired in parallel so that the amp sees a single channel of 2 ohms and have had no problems. The other channel on the amp drives a pair of rear surround speakers in parallel for an impedance to the amp of 4 ohms (2 8 ohm speakers). HTH

Chuck

Comment

• Carl V
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Apr 2005

how was it pkg'd from the mfg'r? I've had a few Tumults
                                                                        shipped from around the country...bolted to a wood baffle
                                                                        and then 4-2x2 braces connecting to another 18" baffles.
                                                                        The boxes take some abuse but damn the drivers are always
                                                                        fine. Two Aurasound-18s were likewise well boxed yet mishandled
                                                                        by Fed-ex. Bax Global is the way to go for big items or heavy
                                                                        expensive items.

Sorry to hear about your misadventure. 8O

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 1360

It came in a heavy duty cardboard box with a cardboard ring around the magnet structure and a cardboard ring around the "throat" where the magnet structure meets the frame. That cardboard ring is reinforced against the edges of the box. It seems flimsy now that I had one that broke, but it got thrown around a lot.

Comment

• palmtree
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Apr 2006
                                                                            • 41

Unfortunantly, Mike was out of D2's so I got a D4. I will run 4 ohms on each channel. I currently run my D4 wired in parallel so that the amp sees a single channel of 2 ohms and have had no problems. The other channel on the amp drives a pair of rear surround speakers in parallel for an impedance to the amp of 4 ohms (2 8 ohm speakers). HTH

Chuck
                                                                            So the EP2500 has no problems continuously running a 2 Ohm load? I am trying to decide if I should get the dual 2 or the dual 4 RL-p15 to run off an EP1500.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 10933

#83
                                                                              A 4 ohm load is a always a better idea than a 2 ohm load.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• palmtree
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Apr 2006
                                                                                • 41

#84
                                                                                Maybe I should start a new thread so I don't clutter up this one with my OT questions.
                                                                                Thanks

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 1360

#85
                                                                                  Here is the beginning of the end. I have "mocked" up the base of the column to see how it will appear visually.

Name:	DSCN3822.webp
Views:	71
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	947868 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3825.webp
Views:	74
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	947869 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3823.webp
Views:	71
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	947870 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3826.webp
Views:	74
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	947871 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3824.webp
Views:	73
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	947872

My first thoughts are to remake the doughnut around the sonotube and make it 1 1/2" tall with a 3/4 roundover on it as opposed to the 3/4" tall with a 3/8 roundover as shown. There will be a base plate that is 24" square for the bottom. The square angled section is 22" square. I should be getting the capitol on Friday.
                                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 09:41 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• nick77
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2006
                                                                                    • 88

#86
                                                                                    That looks great Chas, I think you can go to production with this one. Hehe :B

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2005
                                                                                      • 1609

#87
                                                                                      Chas, I agree that the ring around the base should be more substantial. I also think that the corner posts (providing the air space) should be at least 2-3 times as thick as those in your mock up to provide visual balance. The big heavy looking column should have substantial "feet".

I'm just a big heavy guy that likes big heavy things, so what do I know? Very Cool idea.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2005
                                                                                        • 799

#88
                                                                                        I agree with what has been said so far, and I think it would look nice to make the legs fancy, maybe something like this Q-leg 1?

Image not available

Also, I'd bet that small air space (3"?) between the driver and base plate will at least partially load the driver.
                                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 09:46 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 1360

#89
                                                                                          Actually, in the end the legs will not be visible. I am going to make velcro removable grilles that will go on all 4 sides to give the impression that the base is solid. The legs are 4 1/2 inches tall and will be sitting on a removable base (driver access) that will be 24 inches square. The grilles will be covered with cloth that will match the paint job the lady is going to have put on the column. BTW, the capitol is ready for me to pick up and I should get it today.

I do agree with Bob's comment that the "doughnut" needs to be beefier. More work!

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Aug 2005
                                                                                            • 799

#90
                                                                                            I gotcha. On a hunch, let me know if the air displacement by the driver can "un velcro" any of the velco connection with demanding material when its done :B Probably won't, but that would be something if it did.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"