X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audio_ElF
    • Oct 2007

Sigma SSP review and a query

For anyone interested: HiFi News in UK have a review of the Sigma SSP and Amp2 in the August 2015 issue. Reviewed purely as a 2 channel system they felt it was good but not exceptional for the price but a good bridge between 2 channel and multi-channel.

One query I did have was that they reported in the verdict that "devotees of 192kHz audio should note the SSP is limited to 96kHz". I was wondering if anyone knew what they were referring to as the inputs are listed as 192kHz capable - is everything resampled to 96kHz for the DSP?
    Last edited by Audio_ElF; 25 June 2015, 06:58 Thursday. Reason: bad spelling made me look like an idiot!
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

That's a bit odd.... Wonder what that's all about? It claims to do 192 AFAIK?

Interestingly though the SSP300 would do 96k through the DAC but could only do DSP on 48k so you may be onto something there. I'm sure the CP doesn't limit stuff when doing the DSP, would think they were similar but I suppose there are a lot more channels and eq filters to deal with. And speaker distances
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
      One query I did have was that they reported in the verdict that "devotees of 192kHz audio should note the SSP is limited to 96kHz". I was wondering if anyone knew what they were referring to as the inputs are listed as 192kHz capable - is everything resampled to 96kHz for the DSP?
      Probably. Not uncommon.
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Sasha99
        • Dec 2010

I have Sigma for several months now - previous owner of CP-800 (upgraded to SIGMA for multichannel functionality).
        2 channel sound is on pair with CP-800. The sound overall is a bit leaner from CP-800, but it might be also interpreted with a bit more of clarity. You can definitely hear more into Hi/Rez recordings versus CP-800. The difference is subtle but audible for experienced ear.
        SSP Sigma is fully capable of 24/192 in 2 channel without DSP engaged (which is quite common as Kal mentioned, due to processing limitations).
        Multichannel recordings from Bluray discs are just stunning as well. This is my first foray into multichannel sound, and now I do understand why Kal likes multichannel sound so much. The ambiance sound of the "Goldener Saal der Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Vienna", Bethoven's 7,8, and 9th, conducted by Christian Thielemann is electric, it really feels like you are siting there in the middle of it. (Unitel Classica recording).

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Sasha99
          Multichannel recordings from Bluray discs are just stunning as well. This is my first foray into multichannel sound, and now I do understand why Kal likes multichannel sound so much. The ambiance sound of the "Goldener Saal der Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Vienna", Bethoven's 7,8, and 9th, conducted by Christian Thielemann is electric, it really feels like you are siting there in the middle of it. (Unitel Classica recording).
          Welcome aboard. There's a lot of great stuff to discover.
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"