• Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

Thanks for all the info guys.

Comment

• 8bitAudio
      • Feb 2012

The current QNAP firmware (QTS 4.03 at this time) includes a DLNA server that should work and can be 'pulled' using any DLNA client. I personally prefer the TwonkyMedia server that can be installed using the QNAP App Center. There is a companion iphone app that can be the DLNA client and allows selection of any DLNA renderer (player) that it finds on your local network. The renderer would be your CP800.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Twonky and Serviio rock!!
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• silvertone
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Basil

Another area which I'm still trying to get to terms with is the CP-800's DAC. I'm running a Auralic Vega as an external DAC connected to the CP-800 through XLR. I've toyed alot with AB comparison tests and I'm amazed by the Classé DAC. It lacks a little bit of the Vega's low end punch but it delivers better soundstage, dynamics and precision! The "air" around the notes is simply addictive and the soundstage superior to the Vega's. I've tried with everything from redbook CD rips to 24/192 FLAC, AIFF. The CP-800 seems to sound better or very near the Vega with redbook CD rips compared to the same album's DSD version on the Vega: I cannot conlude anything as this is based only on 1 album (Norah Jones Come away).
          Basil,

This is a revelatory comment, as in paper the Auralic Vega is supposed to be a superior dac to the Classe (take a look at the latest issue of Stereophile which shows the Vega's impeccable analog and digital domain measurements).

Did you have the input on the CP 800 set to analog bypass mode when you were connecting the Vega? If you didn't do this then the CP800 would do an additional ADC which would definitely degrade the Vega sound.

Were you using the Vegas volume control vs the Classe's own volume when you did this comparison? Not sure if the Vega allows you to bypass its own volume control

Have you done additional sound comparisons ? Do you still feel the CP800 DAC is superior to the Vega?

Thanks in advance for the feedback, these are the units I have my eyes on for my new system.

:P
          Last edited by silvertone; 21 January 2014, 16:15 Tuesday.

Comment

• gerardhn
            • Jun 2005

Any to share from people who bought something?..... Or still not available?....

Comment

• Edgeyboy
              • Nov 2006

Had mine installed yesterday. Sounds fantastic using Air Play. Easily better than my Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6. Not had time to do a detailed comparison with my CDP-202 but will report back when I have. Thanks Tom

Comment

• Basil
                • Dec 2013

Originally posted by silvertone
                Basil,

This is a revelatory comment, as in paper the Auralic Vega is supposed to be a superior dac to the Classe (take a look at the latest issue of Stereophile which shows the Vega's impeccable analog and digital domain measurements).

Did you have the input on the CP 800 set to analog bypass mode when you were connecting the Vega? If you didn't do this then the CP800 would do an additional ADC which would definitely degrade the Vega sound.

Were you using the Vegas volume control vs the Classe's own volume when you did this comparison? Not sure if the Vega allows you to bypass its own volume control

Have you done additional sound comparisons ? Do you still feel the CP800 DAC is superior to the Vega?

Thanks in advance for the feedback, these are the units I have my eyes on for my new system.

:P
                Analog bypass mode was on and I was not using the Vega's volume control at all (defaults to 100: the max)... and yes, I have read the latest issue of Stereophile :-)

I am sure the DAC in the CP-800 Rev 2 is different than the previous iteration. I had tested the Rev 1 against my Vega and it was a no contest. The Vega was superior in every aspect. Now that I have my Rev 2, I am confused. 80% of my listening is classical music and in this context the Rev 2 seems just more "airy" than the Vega. The soundstage is a lot deeper and more precise. The Vega needs to be playing DSD files to show the kind of soundstage the Rev2 gives me...else the Vega's soundstage is not as deep and is way more forward in space.

The Vega is also less precise in the mids-lower mids where a lot of the action happens in classical music. It seems to put a bit of a "veil" around the music. I have tried different filters and clocks but it just doesn't get as good as the Rev2. Where the Vega has a little advantage is with percussions and bass where it has a little bit more of "slam" and "thump"...

DSD sounds very good with the Vega. Makes it sound equal to the CP-800, but I cannot compare direct to direct as I have no albums to do so, except the Norah Jones I was refering to in my previous post...and this didn't reveal much difference to me. However, I have a handfull of classical albums that sound great in DSD on the Vega.

If you follow the forums on computer audiophile, you'll find a thread started by Charles Hansen (the guy from Ayre audio) who says it's just a matter of setting the proper filters on DACs in order to make PCM sound as good or better than DSD. Maybe that's what the people at Classé have done with the Rev 2's DAC? I am really confused. Maybe I'll write them to ask...

So, is the CP-800 Rev 2's DAC superior to the Vega? Maybe not, but I'll go as far as to say this: if I hadn't owned the Vega for 8 months before I got my CP-800 Rev2, I simply would not buy it, unless I really needed DSD...

Comment

• Basil
                  • Dec 2013

BTW, when I bought my Vega, it was to match it with my Modwright gear (LS100 and KWA100SE) and it did a fabulous job. I don't want to mention any specifics, but I had tried out many different DACs before I settled on the Vega. It was as good or better than some stuff that was twice its price.

And here is information from the original review of the CP-800 in Stereophile:
                  "The Classé CP-800's measured performance in its Analog Bypass mode is beyond reproach. While its digital input offers about 2 bits' worth less resolution than the current state of the art, this didn't prove much of an impediment in my auditioning.—John Atkinson"

I would bet this has changed with the Rev 2, but I'm speculating...

Comment

• leo2498
                    • Feb 2012

Analog bypass mode was on and I was not using the Vega's volume control at all (defaults to 100: the max)... and yes, I have read the latest issue of Stereophile :-)

I am sure the DAC in the CP-800 Rev 2 is different than the previous iteration. I had tested the Rev 1 against my Vega and it was a no contest. The Vega was superior in every aspect. Now that I have my Rev 2, I am confused. 80% of my listening is classical music and in this context the Rev 2 seems just more "airy" than the Vega. The soundstage is a lot deeper and more precise. The Vega needs to be playing DSD files to show the kind of soundstage the Rev2 gives me...else the Vega's soundstage is not as deep and is way more forward in space.

The Vega is also less precise in the mids-lower mids where a lot of the action happens in classical music. It seems to put a bit of a "veil" around the music. I have tried different filters and clocks but it just doesn't get as good as the Rev2. Where the Vega has a little advantage is with percussions and bass where it has a little bit more of "slam" and "thump"...

DSD sounds very good with the Vega. Makes it sound equal to the CP-800, but I cannot compare direct to direct as I have no albums to do so, except the Norah Jones I was refering to in my previous post...and this didn't reveal much difference to me. However, I have a handfull of classical albums that sound great in DSD on the Vega.

If you follow the forums on computer audiophile, you'll find a thread started by Charles Hansen (the guy from Ayre audio) who says it's just a matter of setting the proper filters on DACs in order to make PCM sound as good or better than DSD. Maybe that's what the people at Classé have done with the Rev 2's DAC? I am really confused. Maybe I'll write them to ask...

So, is the CP-800 Rev 2's DAC superior to the Vega? Maybe not, but I'll go as far as to say this: if I hadn't owned the Vega for 8 months before I got my CP-800 Rev2, I simply would not buy it, unless I really needed DSD...
                    The DAC in the Rev2 is the same of the first one, if any one have a different information just let me know.
                    Leo,
                    Saludos
                    My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• Basil
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by leo2498
                      The DAC in the Rev2 is the same of the first one, if any one have a different information just let me know.
                      The DAC in Rev 2 can do 24/192 which Rev 1 could not do... so they must have done something. What exactly is what I'm wondering.

Comment

• londoner
                        • Apr 2009

The DAC in Rev 2 can do 24/192 which Rev 1 could not do... so they must have done something. What exactly is what I'm wondering.
                        Rev 1 couldn't do 24/192 over USB but it does support it over AES/EBU, Coax and Optical (although user manual says 24/192 stretches Optical to its bandwidth limit so not recommended).

The original CP-800 White Paper says the Rev 1 DAC is run at 176.4 or 192 according to source material, presumably to keep a clean 4x multiple of sampling rate.

It will be interesting to see if Classe make any claims for improved sound quality for 16/44.1 when they finally get round to launching Rev 2 on their website.

The long delay on Rev 2 seems to have scared them out of doing any consumer marketing or announcements at all. The lack of changes on the website makes them seem all but dormant.

Comment

• Basil
                          • Dec 2013

Here's a statement from the opening post on this thread

"Classé compared the sound of the board with a new grounding scheme to the original with the isolation transformers and the new layout was superior, so they felt they could offer the 192kHz feature and better overall performance without the galvanic isolation"

Could this "better overall performance" be what I'm perceiving and be audible between Rev 1 and Rev 2?

Comment

• gerardhn
                            • Jun 2005

Lets put things in perspective: how much music do you have and enjoy (is your favourite to take to dessert island) is > 96k....?
                            For me .... 0!

Next: would you bet for Some decent amount of money you can blindly distingish beween 16_44 and 24_96..?

Software interpretation of 16_44 wav or flac is key, rest is Nice.

Agree..?

Comment

• leo2498
                              • Feb 2012

it's not the all true your post, the rev1 used two Wolfson WM8741 DAC chips and if you look its specification this dac can manage up to 32 bits and a sample of 192K so I think if the CP800 not did that was a SW configuration maybe in the rev 2 this is enabled by classe.

Leo,
                              Saludos
                              My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• silvertone
                                • Oct 2012

Basil,

Thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like the CP-800 is the unit to go after.

As far as your other questions. The DAC chipset on the CP-800 is the same, but what did change is the grounding scheme of the unit which lead to a much lower noise floor of the USB input (this was feedback from one of the developers). I'm not sure how much the 10 dB drop in the USB noise floor contributed (if at all) to lowering the THD for the unit. Lowering the noise floor of the unit would lead to increase resolution and more transparency.

The other change that was introduced is that now the unit processes all the files at their native rates up to 192 KHz, no upsampling or oversampling.

At least this is my understanding based on the feedback Classe has provided me.

Comment

• frabky
                                  • Jan 2014

Hi all,

I am new on this forum and this is my first post.

I am quite interested about the CP-800 linked with CA-2300 but before taking an expensive decision that I might regret, I want to make sure I understand all the features of the CP-800.

On the original version (before rev 2), the CP-800 was a pre-amp + a DAC. The DAC was limited to 24/96. On the new version (rev 2), the CP-800 is a pre-amp + a DAC that is now capable to treat 24/192 and that has working ethernet port.

My question is simple : can the new CP-800 be used as a streamer ?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Frabky

Comment

• ultrasonus
                                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by frabky
                                    Hi all,

I am new on this forum and this is my first post.

I am quite interested about the CP-800 linked with CA-2300 but before taking an expensive decision that I might regret, I want to make sure I understand all the features of the CP-800.

On the original version (before rev 2), the CP-800 was a pre-amp + a DAC. The DAC was limited to 24/96. On the new version (rev 2), the CP-800 is a pre-amp + a DAC that is now capable to treat 24/192 and that has working ethernet port.

My question is simple : can the new CP-800 be used as a streamer ?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Frabky
                                    Welcome frabky,

It’s been a while since you posted and still no reply, so …

Your explanation of rev 2 isn’t quite right. The rev 2 hardware update involves a new digital input board and a change to the grounding scheme that is said to improve the sonics. The DAC is on the audio board, and that board has not changed. The DAC was always able to do 192/24, but this was only possible using lower-quality interfaces. Classé’s original implementation of USB using master clock mode to control jitter was their best, but it only supported 96/24 –– the limitation was in the USB interface, not the DAC. The rev 2 digital input board adds ethernet and supports master clock mode up to 192/24 for both USB and ethernet. See earlier posts by londoner, leo2498 and silvertone; they have it right according to Rebelman’s discussion at the top of this thread and what I and others have been told by Classé.

Can the CP-800 serve as a streamer? It should in theory, but I don’t yet see any confirmation by an owner in this thread. I’m still waiting for the phono module before buying, so I can’t add anything beyond what's already been posted. But since the CP-800 is confirmed to work via DLNA with a PC, including gapless playback, it suggests that the capabilities of a particular NAS as a streaming server would be the only limiting factor.

Comment

• leo2498
                                      • Feb 2012

someone knows why CLASSE no have updated this new revision of CP800 in its website?
                                      Leo,
                                      Saludos

Comment

• ultrasonus
                                        • Sep 2013

Leo,

I've been in contact with Classé about release of the phono module. They told me end of January, but last week they said later this month. They told me to watch their website for notice of the release. When I replied that notice of rev2 has been very 'subtle' on their website (only the CP-800 Data sheet under documentation describes the new features), they repeated that I should stay tuned to the website. Maybe they want to do just one update to include the phono option, or maybe something else. Who knows? We'll see if things really happen this month, or if there will be more delay.

Comment

• TomScrut
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by leo2498
                                          someone knows why CLASSE no have updated this new revision of CP800 in its website?
                                          They have updated the manual and the brochure, although they just make mention of streaming. They are pretty rubbish at keeping their website up to date to be honest. They have shown the Sigma series now but its not mentioned anywhere on there either.
                                          Last edited by TomScrut; 13 February 2014, 17:40 Thursday. Reason: Context (Added quote)
                                          Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• TomScrut
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Nov 2013

Sorry not the brochure, the datasheet
                                            Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• leo2498
                                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ultrasonus
                                              Leo,

I've been in contact with Classé about release of the phono module. They told me end of January, but last week they said later this month. They told me to watch their website for notice of the release. When I replied that notice of rev2 has been very 'subtle' on their website (only the CP-800 Data sheet under documentation describes the new features), they repeated that I should stay tuned to the website. Maybe they want to do just one update to include the phono option, or maybe something else. Who knows? We'll see if things really happen this month, or if there will be more delay.
                                              Originally posted by TomScrut
                                              They have updated the manual and the brochure, although they just make mention of streaming. They are pretty rubbish at keeping their website up to date to be honest. They have shown the Sigma series now but its not mentioned on there either.
                                              thanks guys I not saw the documentation sheet, jajaja I was opening the link in the description of the CP800 and this one is the old(they not have changed this link yet) so when I opened the datasheet and the manual in the other option I can saw what you are talking. I still waiting than my dealer can import my upgrade kit
                                              Leo,
                                              Saludos

Comment

• stunta
                                                • Feb 2014

Does anyone have details on the phono board? I want to know how configurable it is. Has anyone had a listen to it?

Thanks

Comment

• Mortyre
                                                  • Jan 2014

Hello

I already have a Marantz AV8801 preamplifier HC and I am very satisfied for HC but HIFI it is limited I think I can get better with dedicated preamplifier. My amplifier is a Class Audio CT- 5300. In Speakers I have 802D, central HTM1D and 805S for the surround . I listen to a lot of concert DTS, SACD 5.1 but also music dematerialized FLAC and DSD.

I hesitate between buying a SSP800 and CP800 . Knowing that if I take a SSP800 I resell my Marantz for not having a single device that does HC and HIFI by against the SSP800 will not allow me to read my files on my NAS DLNA Synology. If I add to my marantz a CP800 anyway so I can read my files on my NAS wit the LAN but it would me more expensive.

There he has a real difference in sound between the SSP800 and CP800 in HIFI on the digital part ? Really worth it without having two devices or SSP800 than enough ? What is your opinion on the subject and brings more than play music dematerialized into the USB port or RJ45 CP800 vs HDMI input of SSP800 ?

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                    • Jun 2005

I get a bit lost. This intially interesting thread, maybe announcement of the board, has fallen into sleep.
                                                    How many release dates did we read? For me this has become a bit ridiculous. I think there is no upgrade board. Can somebody summarize how many "release" dates we know after "having talked" with classe..?..

Comment

• mjb
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Perhaps its smarter to buy something for it's actual spec, and not a promise of a future upgrade. The same thing happened with the SSP800; it was a long wait, but eventually the upgrade did come and it was worth the wait. The trouble is, technology moves so fast these days, not everyone can keep up with it.... some manufacturers included.
                                                      - Mike

Main System:
                                                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• mjb
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mortyre
                                                        I hesitate between buying a SSP800 and CP800 . Knowing that if I take a SSP800 I resell my Marantz for not having a single device that does HC and HIFI by against the SSP800 will not allow me to read my files on my NAS DLNA Synology. If I add to my marantz a CP800 anyway so I can read my files on my NAS wit the LAN but it would me more expensive.

There he has a real difference in sound between the SSP800 and CP800 in HIFI on the digital part ? Really worth it without having two devices or SSP800 than enough ? What is your opinion on the subject and brings more than play music dematerialized into the USB port or RJ45 CP800 vs HDMI input of SSP800 ?
                                                        I've asked myself the same question, and I've kept my SSP-800 for these reasons:

1. I don't stream music, I have a dedicated music server (a Mac Mini).
                                                        2. I like movies, and like to decode 5.1 3.
                                                        3. All my source devices are HDMI
                                                        4. The SSP-800 is a superb DAC!
                                                        - Mike

Main System:
                                                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Mortyre
                                                          Hello

I already have a Marantz AV8801 preamplifier HC and I am very satisfied for HC but HIFI it is limited I think I can get better with dedicated preamplifier. My amplifier is a Class Audio CT- 5300. In Speakers I have 802D, central HTM1D and 805S for the surround . I listen to a lot of concert DTS, SACD 5.1 but also music dematerialized FLAC and DSD.

I have the same thoughts about my AV8801. It compromises my DS' performance significantly vs direct into the amp. I think I am going to get a dedicated stereo pre rather than an SSP though as I have invested in an Audyssey Pro kit & license which wouldnt be a lot of use with the SSP.

Originally posted by gerardhn
                                                          I get a bit lost. This intially interesting thread, maybe announcement of the board, has fallen into sleep.
                                                          How many release dates did we read? For me this has become a bit ridiculous. I think there is no upgrade board. Can somebody summarize how many "release" dates we know after "having talked" with classe..?..
                                                          Haven't people already got their upgrade boards? It now tells us on the Classe website about it. Unless you are talking about the phono stage?

Comment

• leo2498
                                                            • Feb 2012

I have the same thoughts about my AV8801. It compromises my DS' performance significantly vs direct into the amp. I think I am going to get a dedicated stereo pre rather than an SSP though as I have invested in an Audyssey Pro kit & license which wouldnt be a lot of use with the SSP.

Haven't people already got their upgrade boards? It now tells us on the Classe website about it. Unless you are talking about the phono stage?
                                                            hi guys, I was in the same boat like you and my final decision was to get a dedicated stereo preamp. It was the best option to me ears, not doubt it. I not have the SSP800 but I could not more happy with my CP800 for music it is a hundred times better than my denon.
                                                            Leo,
                                                            Saludos

Comment

• leo2498
                                                              • Feb 2012

hi guys, I was in the same boat like you and my final decision was to get a dedicated stereo preamp. It was the best option to me ears, not doubt it. I not have the SSP800 but I could not more happy with my CP800 for music it is a hundred times better than my denon.
                                                              Leo,
                                                              Saludos

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Nov 2013

I do know somebody with an SSP and he did sell his cp500 when getting it. I might ask him if there is a difference when it comes to stereo. For me (and a lot of others) is that the only point in buying an SSP 800 compared to a cheaper AVP is that it has a very good stereo pre. Not as good as a CP800 though

Comment

• stunta
                                                                  • Feb 2014

I do know somebody with an SSP and he did sell his cp500 when getting it. I might ask him if there is a difference when it comes to stereo. For me (and a lot of others) is that the only point in buying an SSP 800 compared to a cheaper AVP is that it has a very good stereo pre. Not as good as a CP800 though
                                                                  The CP800 preamp section is superior to the SSP800 preamp section for stereo. The DAC is also superior.

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Nov 2013

But how does the SSP compare to say a cp500?

Comment

• leo2498
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2012

But how does the SSP compare to say a cp500?
                                                                      I only heard about one guy in other forum that went from SSP800 to CP800, he said that last one was superior in many aspects but he finally went to mcintosh road so I don't know if he can be a good example. for me the most thing that I like of my CP800 is its dac because instead of my oppo dac the sound is more natural, lifelike and accurate. I like a lot the high spectrum and with the CP800 is more accurate with not harsh in it, the mids is marvelous and blending very good with my 804 Diamond. The cp500 is an analog preamp so if you let the DAC to other element in your system I think that the weakly thing will be this DAC and not the preamp so if you are looking for better DAC you will need a SSP or CP800 with either of them you could get your improve but if you are looking a better preamp for a phono section well the CP500 is your choice.
                                                                      Leo,
                                                                      Saludos

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Nov 2013

Short term I would be looking for a preamp to use with my Majik DS. A CP500 would cost me about 1400GBP whereas if I am lucky enough to find a CP800 second hand it would be just under 3k. Ex demo they are readily available for about 3500. I realise the DAC is probably better than the DS but I would want to keep that as a transport so selling the DS wouldn't help me. The alternative is to use that money and sell my marantz to upgrade to a second hand SSP.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2005

Today i called with dutch classe import/representative. The impossible happened. Here in the Netherlands the board is available now. Costs for mounting it into the cp800 is 1000e. So now time for buying and sharing experiences in new thread....

Comment

• Cjf
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by silvertone
                                                                            Basil,

The other change that was introduced is that now the unit processes all the files at their native rates up to 192 KHz, no upsampling or oversampling.

At least this is my understanding based on the feedback Classe has provided me.
                                                                            I wanted to clear up something about this statement that I don't think is correct based on what the CP800 white paper says about the D/A converters. Below is a copy paste of what is said in the white paper:

"The DACs are run at either 176.4 or 192 kHz, depending on whether the input is a multiple of 44.1 or 48 kHz respectively"

So this statement would, at least to me, indicate that audio signals ARE Upsampled to one of the two multiples listed depending on the Input frequency. In other words, the CP800 is NOT a NOS type DAC.

I'm curious to know if anyone here is using the CP800 in Analog Bypass mode with a different external DAC and if so which DAC are you using? I've been on the fence lately trying to decide if I should pickup an Ayre QB9 DSD and use it as my DAC instead of the one included with the CP800 but haven't decided if the benefits provided by using the builtin DAC outweigh the benefits of a higher resolution external DAC.

By this I mean, is it better to have a direct path to the DAC with no need for extra cabling even if that DAC is not the highest resolution product on the market? I mean how much SQ do we think is actually lost between the journey from an external DAC, thru a set of short balanced XLR's then into the PreAmp when using an external DAC? Part of me thinks that one would need to use an external DAC that is significantly better then what is already provided inside the CP800 to be able to hear any significant gains as I'm fairly certain direct path is the better way to go. But on the other hand, mixing/recording engineers have been relying on cables faithfully carrying source signals over distance to mixing boards or recording devices for longer then I care to think about and they seem to be doing a pretty good job churning out quality recordings thus far despite these cables being in the way.

I'm not sure anyone can answer these questions but I figured I would post them anyway just to get people's imaginative juices flowing if nothing else.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jun 2005
                                                                              • 352

Cjf, what a questions! You are studying or listening to music... .

Comment

• stunta
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2014
                                                                                • 4

Nothing new about Cjf's questions. Same old question about integrated vs. separates. From my experience, you have to spend a few thousand dollars to outperform the CP's built in DAC. I have compared it with the Linn Klimax DS (which is a $20k unit) and I prefer the CP. At this level, sound quality is roughly the same. It boils down to which filters you prefer.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2005
                                                                                  • 352

Hi All, i ordered the new upgrade board. Takes some time before its mounted. Keep you updated. !

Comment

• cossie0
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • May 2008
                                                                                    • 36

Originally posted by stunta
                                                                                    Nothing new about Cjf's questions. Same old question about integrated vs. separates. From my experience, you have to spend a few thousand dollars to outperform the CP's built in DAC. I have compared it with the Linn Klimax DS (which is a $20k unit) and I prefer the CP. At this level, sound quality is roughly the same. It boils down to which filters you prefer.
                                                                                    I was wondering how it compared to the Klimax DS. I was thinking to go for a used one to hook up to my CP800 but if you say they are pretty similar then I will not bother. Did the CP800 you listened to have the new board. What was the front end player used when you had the audition?

thanks

Comment

• stunta
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2014
                                                                                      • 4

Originally posted by cossie0
                                                                                      I was wondering how it compared to the Klimax DS. I was thinking to go for a used one to hook up to my CP800 but if you say they are pretty similar then I will not bother. Did the CP800 you listened to have the new board. What was the front end player used when you had the audition?

thanks
                                                                                      Don't have the new board. Not planning on it. Front end is a netbook running jRiver and input is USB into the CP800. At the time of comparison, KDS (internal volume control disabled) was playing through CP with XLR connections. Blind test across 6 tracks. I preferred CP, wife preferred KDS.

IMO, The Klimax DS (even the latest KDS/1) would be sideways move at a steep cost.

Comment

• Cjf
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2013
                                                                                        • 3

I've been impressed with the SQ of the DAC in the CP800 thus far. It has a very wide and deep soundstage that is not fatiguing in any way. With that said, I still feel my
                                                                                        previous DAC (Ayre QB9 ***Non DSD) was slightly better in detail retrieval when it comes to spoken words and in room presence. Performers were more three dimensional sounding if you will.

I would describe the two listening experiences as quite different with the Ayre being more of a front row center seat affair verses the CP800's mid/back row seat point of view of the venue/performance.

As a point of reference on where I am coming from in terms of my listening impressions of the CP800 here is my extremely simple and basic setup.

Voyage Linux MPD music server (running on a low power ALIX 2D2 board)
                                                                                        Classe CP800
                                                                                        X 4 Hypex NC400 Monoblock amps
                                                                                        B&W 803 Diamond towers (quad amp'd)

No power conditioning involved anywhere with the only power related upgrades being X 4 dedicated 20AMP AC circuits.

Comment

• windshear
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2004
                                                                                          • 243

Has anybody installed the board themselves?

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Nov 2013
                                                                                            • 532

I arent sure if anybody has or not, but it doesnt look difficult:

They have put instructions on all their upgrade kits on their website in the last week or so

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"