X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

So I am curious did the quality fall!
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• slauten
      • Aug 2011

IMHO-Quality has not changed at all. Still the great product it always was. I own made in Canada Classe gear and China too. There is not any difference except for a sticker that says made in China. I own a SSP-800 and a CP-800 both Chinese versions. I know many of you feel if it's not made in the USA, Europe or Canada, it can't be any good. I've said all along, and still do...most of the circuit boards and other components were always made overseas. It's assembled in China, in Classe's factory and under Classe's direct supervision. Being assembled in China is not my 1st choice, I liked it being made in Canada. However...I have not seen 1 person provide any data that shows quality has dropped.

I think that blue light coming from McIntosh gear has mind altering effects like bug zappers. i'm not drinking the anti made in China koolaide, it has no merit. Until shown otherwise it's strictly opinion. Please...show me anything to prove their's a difference or cool it. I'm talking facts, not emotion, not feelings, not opinions...I need data showing a difference. I'm only talking about Classe.

See Ya,
      Steve

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by slauten
        IMHO-Quality has not changed at all. Still the great product it always was. I own made in Canada Classe gear and China too. There is not any difference except for a sticker that says made in China. I own a SSP-800 and a CP-800 both Chinese versions. I know many of you feel if it's not made in the USA, Europe or Canada, it can't be any good. I've said all along, and still do...most of the circuit boards and other components were always made overseas. It's assembled in China, in Classe's factory and under Classe's direct supervision. Being assembled in China is not my 1st choice, I liked it being made in Canada. However...I have not seen 1 person provide any data that shows quality has dropped.

I think that blue light coming from McIntosh gear has mind altering effects like bug zappers. i'm not drinking the anti made in China koolaide, it has no merit. Until shown otherwise it's strictly opinion. Please...show me anything to prove their's a difference or cool it. I'm talking facts, not emotion, not feelings, not opinions...I need data showing a difference. I'm only talking about Classe.

See Ya,
        Steve
        On the outside it will appear the same, but like I have witnessed with both Oppo and Rotel (Both assembled in China), there will likely be more failures in the near future. I was in the electronic component industry for awhile and I can tell you, they are likely using 'knock off' electronic components to save money and make their contract mfr BOM quote look better than competitors. There was piles of them on the market when I was in the industry.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Audio_ElF
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by madmac
          On the outside it will appear the same, but like I have witnessed with both Oppo and Rotel (Both assembled in China), there will likely be more failures in the near future. I was in the electronic component industry for awhile and I can tell you, they are likely using 'knock off' electronic components to save money and make their contract mfr BOM quote look better than competitors. There was piles of them on the market when I was in the industry.
          Sorry... but what has Oppo's quality control got to do with Classe? Oppo has always (afaik) been a Chineese company so you can't say "since they transferred manufacture to China quality dropped" which is what the implication is.

As I understand it, the Chineese factory used by the B&W group of companies (Bower and Wilkins itself, Classe and Rotel) are actually tightly controlled by B&W rather than Chineese personelle so they would (I hope) prevent the use of conterfit component. Anyway if its true that the boards were manufactured in China previously and just assembled in Canada, then there is just as likely to be counterfit components on a single board as in the full product.

Finally if you want a good example of good Chineese manufacture, then the iPhone is surely one to be pointed at.

Anyway, what you need to worry is when they transfer manufacture to Vietnam... thats the next step for consumer electronics as apparently wages in China are raising fast!

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
            Sorry... but what has Oppo's quality control got to do with Classe? Oppo has always (afaik) been a Chineese company so you can't say "since they transferred manufacture to China quality dropped" which is what the implication is.

As I understand it, the Chineese factory used by the B&W group of companies (Bower and Wilkins itself, Classe and Rotel) are actually tightly controlled by B&W rather than Chineese personelle so they would (I hope) prevent the use of conterfit component. Anyway if its true that the boards were manufactured in China previously and just assembled in Canada, then there is just as likely to be counterfit components on a single board as in the full product.

Finally if you want a good example of good Chineese manufacture, then the iPhone is surely one to be pointed at.

Anyway, what you need to worry is when they transfer manufacture to Vietnam... thats the next step for consumer electronics as apparently wages in China are raising fast!
            All contract mfr's quote on a bill of materials and put components into a 'board' on a assembly line. Some of those components 'might; be OEM.....others not. The Chinese are notorious for using 'knock off' parts (Components) that for all intents and purposes, are the same and will work. Just not that reliable is all. Think of it!!. How many knock off clothing, bags, coats, is coming from China now?. Think Rolex, Louis Vuitton bags etc..........
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• slauten
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by madmac
              All contract mfr's quote on a bill of materials and put components into a 'board' on a assembly line. Some of those components 'might; be OEM.....others not. The Chinese are notorious for using 'knock off' parts (Components) that for all intents and purposes, are the same and will work. Just not that reliable is all. Think of it!!. How many knock off clothing, bags, coats, is coming from China now?. Think Rolex, Louis Vuitton bags etc..........
              I humbly take exception to your comparisons! Yes there are plenty of knock offs of the real deal coming from China. However the real deals are also made in China and there are no quality issues with any of the clothing or electronic items I buy from China. None of the fake crap would hold a chance of being sold if were not for those trying to beat the system and buy a highly desirable item for less than retail. Yes much of it's crap...the fake stuff, in fact all of it's crap and in the process gives the good stuff a black eye. My The North Face jackets have been made in China and other overseas countries for many years, and those made overseas are of better quality than my USA made North Face jackets. My Maui Jim sunglasses are also made in China, but some of the best sunglasses made anywhere, why are these products great? The manufacturing process has quality control! However...just because an item has a good name does not make it a good product. A great example is a Louis Vuitton purse I bought my wife. After the purse was 1.5 years old...one of the handle straps started to tear. Took it back to Neiman Marcus and my wife was told the purse had been overloaded and it was her fault. In addition she was told when the purse was bought we were told not to overload the purse. That's total BS and I can assure you I was told nothing. My point being...good name or not, no matter where it's made...the fish stinks at the head!!!

This discussion about Classe being made in China in my opinion is a load of stink, with no merit. When the discussion was originally started it was good, and cause for concern. Since then... Not one person has given any proof of any issues, it's simply opinion, and mainly from those taken over by the blue light bug zapper systems, or bitter about the move from Canada. Please put up or shut up on the negative stuff. Stuff like the Chinese will substitute inferior parts is baloney (at least for Classe)...the boards were not made in Canada before. Classe owns the plant and controls how the boards are made and the components used. Classe product made in China are not being made by a contract manufacturer, it's being made in a plant owned by B&W.

Help me out madmac, your a Senior Member, most of your posts are spot on. However your posts about Classe made in China does not ring true, it appears to be it's not made in Canada anymore so it can't be as good. I will agree it's not my 1st choice either, and it did concern me because I'm committed to Classe. I own a set of Omega Mono Blocks, set of Cam-400's, CA-5100, CA-5200, CDP-502...and those nasty made in China CP-800 and SSP-800. Absolutely every piece of equipment works flawlessly. My request is...can't we quit bashing the Classe made is China stuff unless we have proof that the components have been changed, or the quality has dropped, or anything that substantiates there's an issue?

If you want to bash Classe let's hit them with: Where is the promised hardware upgrades promised for the CP-800? Those are way over due!

See Ya,
              Steve

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

If you want to bash Classe let's hit them with: Where is the promised hardware upgrades promised for the CP-800? Those are way over due! See Ya, Steve
                I have two Ca-M600 made in China and the CP-800 so far no complain :T I don't think Classé has their own manufacturing plant over in China! remember made in Japan cars, look at US cars now
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

This discussion about Classe being made in China in my opinion is a load of stink, with no merit.
                  I have my doubts about that statement , but I don't think anyone has touched on what may be a large part of the debate-trust. Many people simply don't trust goods manufactured in China. For the price Classe puts on their products they expect the consumer to trust the name , therefore the quality. 'Made in China' doesn't engender visions of top tier products and rigorous quality control for some people. Classe took away trust from part of their fan base.
                  I will not get as emotionally invested in this debate as I was the first time. I just thought the trust issue may be a valid part of the discussion , IMO. I'll withdraw now and watch from the cheap seats. opcorn:

Purchasing a few nice jackets doesn't get the whole of China's manufacturing a blanket amnesty from the issues they do suffer from , in proportions large enough to be endemic.
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• mjb
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

IMHO-Quality has not changed at all. Still the great product it always was. I own made in Canada Classe gear and China too. There is not any difference except for a sticker that says made in China.
                    If anyone feels they have proof to the contrary, please lets start a new discussion.
                    - Mike

Main System:
                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"