• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Pre-production pricing on Mach 5's new 18"

Mach 5 has their prototype new IXL-18.4

And they're having a introductory pricing offer. $20 nonrefundable depost for each driver ordered gets the buyer the following, $25 off the price of each driver ($155), and $20 shipping anywhere in the continental US.

The wait on preproduction orders like this can be as much as 3 months. So if you're the impatient type, this offer isn't for you.

Specs:

Fs = 15.4Hz
    Re = 3.2Ohm
    Qms = 4.87
    Qes = 0.39
    Qts = 0.36
    Vas = 556L
    Sd = 1029.2cm
    BL = 15.1
    Mms = 228g
    Cms = 0.37mm
    SPL = 89.2
    Xmax = 22mm
    Pmax= 800 watts

Pics:

Hi Everyone,Its taken quite awhile to get this finished, but we are finally there. The IXL-18.4 is now ready for production and I am offering folks a decent introductory price for those of you who want it now.Here are the specs of the driver and a few shots:Fs = 15.4HzRe = 3.2OhmQms = 4.87Qes = 0...
    Last edited by ThomasW; 29 March 2007, 22:14 Thursday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

That's a lotta bass! A quick check says 105 db at 20 hz sealed, well within thermal limits.

For the price, that seems quite impressive.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• DS-21
      • Jun 2005

Thomas,

I already asked on the Mach 5 forum, but since your pictures look better than the ones posted over there I thought you might have some experience with this thing already. Do you what the inductance is? Also, and I realize that it's a bit churlish to ask considering the price point, but does this woofer have a Faraday ring in the motor? Even if not, $175 for over 2L of Vd has to be some sort of record.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Mmmmmm.

I really don't know that I can fit 18's though. And I doubt I need 'em.

Sign me up for a dozen?

Maybe my wife won't notice if I put a row of four of these in the wall in the living room to go with the WWMTM's.

Nice deal. He really did a nice job on getting to spec.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by DS-21
          Thomas,

I already asked on the Mach 5 forum, but since your pictures look better than the ones posted over there I thought you might have some experience with this thing already. Do you what the inductance is? Also, and I realize that it's a bit churlish to ask considering the price point, but does this woofer have a Faraday ring in the motor? Even if not, $175 for over 2L of Vd has to be some sort of record.
          I don't have any additional knowledge regarding the drivers.

Mark of Mach 5 has been a big supporter of the IB Cult forum. He developed this driver in connection with advise and requests from IB sub builders. The pictures are ones Mark shot and posted on the IB forum a month ago.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• kingpin
            • Jun 2006

Thomas.
            I think those are the pre-production photos if I am not wrong.
            I will double-check.

Mike
            Last edited by kingpin; 29 March 2007, 11:25 Thursday. Reason: I see you used the word prototype. I will read slower next time.
            Call me "MIKE"
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
            CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
            CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
            Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by kingpin
              Thomas.
              I think those are the pre-production photos if I am not wrong.
              I will double-check.

Mike
              They are but I doubt the production driver (seen below) is significantly different.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• mrogowski
                • Jul 2006

Hi Guys,

Its been awhile since I was here last...

Tom, thanks for posting this - I really appreciate it. The production unit is slightly different from the big pictures posted. It uses a larger motor with a slightly thicker top plate.

The future will bring different soft parts of varying configurations, so folks who purchased the IXL-18 can make changes to it without having to purchase a completely new driver. It will be a real money saver in the long run.

Best regards,
                Mark
                Where no sound has gone before

Comment

• crackyflipside
                  • Nov 2006

I seriously want to buy 8 of these.... give me a year to enjoy your previous subs though. I will be sure to leave 4 extra driver cutouts on my IB manifolds for these new badboys.
                  -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

• Mazeroth
                    • Nov 2004

Mach5 will one day RULE THE WORLD!!! :B

Now, do I take out my quad Shiva IB line array and build a manifold for four of these puppies? I'm sure my neighbors in our townhouse will appreciate the upgraded bass.

EDIT:

I just noticed the Sd of these is 1029.2cm. That strikes me as a bit odd:

1029.2 / pi = 327.77, sqrt of 327.77 = 18.1, 18.1 / 2.54 = 7.13 inch effective radiating radius which equates to a 14.26 inch radiating diameter.

Now, a Ficaraudio Q18 has an Sd of 1210:

1210 / pi = 385.35, sqrt of 385.35 = 19.63, 19.63 / 2.54 = 7.73 inch effective radiating raidus which equates to a 15.46 inch radiating diameter.

Are you sure you got an accurate Sd measurement on these, Mark? Just trying to help you out. :T
                    Last edited by Mazeroth; 31 March 2007, 23:55 Saturday.

Comment

• mrogowski
                      • Jul 2006

The diameter of the IXL (and MJ) are based on the cone plus one third the surround. I do not know how Fi measures theirs - perhaps they are including the entire surround. The spyder basket they use has a slightly larger outside diameter than the one I use. If they chose a more vertical surround they could get the added cone diameter as a result.

A person would have to look at both close up to determine the differences, or ask Fi directly how they came up with their measurements.

Best,
                      Mark

Comment

• FlashJim
                        • Apr 2006

Aww man. I really didn't need to see this thread. It would be much cheaper if I just closed my browser now.
                        Jim

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

I hear you. I've had to resort to calling my little brother and saying, "let me help you" just so I could play with these. He didn't bite. I think he was a little suspicious of me wanting to help him.
                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• FlashJim
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                            I hear you. I've had to resort to calling my little brother and saying, "let me help you" just so I could play with these. He didn't bite. I think he was a little suspicious of me wanting to help him.
                            Well crap. I just sent my deposit in for two. I knew I should have just closed the browser.
                            Jim

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Just so everyone knows, the last date for the preproduction pricing is Friday April 6th.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• FlashJim
                                • Apr 2006

Bump for the last day to preorder these. I'm in for a total of four.
                                Jim

Comment

• vitod
                                  • Jul 2006

Any updates? Pics?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Nope, no news....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• cobbpa
                                      • Apr 2005

The lateset e-mail I received said they'll be in Canada in about a week.

Comment

• Gir
                                        • Dec 2006

They hit the states on the 7th
                                        -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• mrogowski
                                          • Jul 2006

Hi guys, sorry for keeping so quiet about this. I didn't want to come off sounding like a vendor flaunting one's wares, so I felt it necessary to keep things zipped.

Best regards,
                                          Mark

Comment

• vitod
                                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by mrogowski
                                            Hi guys, sorry for keeping so quiet about this. I didn't want to come off sounding like a vendor flaunting one's wares, so I felt it necessary to keep things zipped.

Best regards,
                                            Mark
                                            Zipped? With us crazy bass fanatics? :rofl: The anticipation is killing me/us! Just let us know your at least alive! :T
                                            Seriously, you wouldn't sound like a crazy vendor. We're anxiously waiting for the new arrival.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"