X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AV-OCD
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Srrndhound
    Something doesn't seem right. The JL website says:

>>Reference (fixed gain) or Variable from full mute to +15dB over reference gain<<

Which suggests you ought to get a lot more gas when using Variable set at Max.
    I think I just found my answer. My sub was in "Slave Mode" for some unknown reason. I just checked the manual and it says this: "Slave” subwoofer signal processing and level controls will be inoperable. In this mode, the user does not have to worry about level, crossover, and other settings for the slave subwoofers.

I haven't been able to test it yet, as the wife is napping, but I hope that this is the cause of my problem.

Comment

• Srrndhound
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by AV-OCD
      I think I just found my answer. My sub was in "Slave Mode" for some unknown reason. I just checked the manual and it says this: "Slave” subwoofer signal processing and level controls will be inoperable. In this mode, the user does not have to worry about level, crossover, and other settings for the slave subwoofers.

I haven't been able to test it yet, as the wife is napping, but I hope that this is the cause of my problem.
      Stand back, it's gonna blow...RUN! :E

Comment

• AV-OCD
        • Aug 2008

Stand back, it's gonna blow...RUN! :E
        Not too far from the truth. Sure enough, promoting the sub from Slave to Master, freed the sub from the reigns of tyranny I had been unknowingly forcing upon it. :twisted:

Once in Master mode, the sub played with reckless abandon, and there was roughly a 9dB gain in output for the same setting. :T

Back to the SSP-800 tone generator. Things just don't add upwith the level of the tones being output from my unit, which is running v2.0 0064. My surrounds are just five feet from me, they are about the same sensitivity as the fronts (13 feet away), yet the surround trims are left at 0dB, and the fronts at -6dB if I use the internal tones. With THX Optimizer, they are close to equal.

Comment

• Srrndhound
          • Sep 2008

Not too far from the truth. Sure enough, promoting the sub from Slave to Master, freed the sub from the reigns of tyranny I had been unknowingly forcing upon it. :twisted:

Once in Master mode, the sub played with reckless abandon, and there was roughly a 9dB gain in output for the same setting. :T

Back to the SSP-800 tone generator. Things just don't add upwith the level of the tones being output from my unit, which is running v2.0 0064. My surrounds are just five feet from me, they are about the same sensitivity as the fronts (13 feet away), yet the surround trims are left at 0dB, and the fronts at -6dB if I use the internal tones. With THX Optimizer, they are close to equal.
          Glad you unleashed the full power of the sub.

Re the noise level issue. It certainly appears you are reading a difference between two noise sources. I wonder if what's affecting Cranston's unit is at work in yours, too. Are you reporting this to Classe?

Comment

• AV-OCD
            • Aug 2008

Yeah, I'll drop Tom at Classe an e-mail about the odd test tone levels. Funny thing is, Classe did my upgrade of the DSP board, so you'd think that they would have caught this in QC before releasing it.

Comment

• wcranston
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
              I have done it a couple times and have the same results... Surrounds about 5db lower with the internal test tone vs AVIA disc.... If I leave it to the internal test tone generation levels the surrounds are too loud when playing BDs or Cable. The ebass when highlighted reduces the bass vs increasing the bass (seems like others are seeing this too). I assume the ebass button is reversed.

For those saying they are glad they haven't purchased this processor. You are missing out! This is still the best sounding processor I have ever owned in my system and I've owned Meridian, Anthem, Denon and others.
              Yeah, I'll drop Tom at Classe an e-mail about the odd test tone levels. Funny thing is, Classe did my upgrade of the DSP board, so you'd think that they would have caught this in QC before releasing it.
              If you are having the issue with the surround levels being low using the SSP-800 internal noise generator, please report this to Tom at Classe.
              I talked to Tom on Friday and Classe cannot recreate the issue at their facility. At this time, I am the only one to report the problem and Classe was a little apprehensive with me.
              I was able to make the surround levels gain change by going in and out of the setup and noise generator or by going from the noise generator to audio on a DVD then back to the noise generator. But the results were inconsistent and I cannot find a sequence of moves that will make the surround levels change gain every time.
              Tom said that he will be away this week and he would get back to me the following week.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                • Aug 2008

Consider my report to Tom done.

Comment

• schmali
                  • Oct 2009

OSD functionality after DSP upgrade

Hi there,

just received the DSP upgrade (SW version 0064) - everything seems to be fine except OSD (OSD vanishes after a few minutes, can only be reactivated by re-booting the unit), any other had the same experience? After all, OSD worked perfectly in SW version 0033?!.

Thanks

Comment

• Srrndhound
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by schmali
                    Hi there,

just received the DSP upgrade (SW version 0064) - everything seems to be fine except OSD (OSD vanishes after a few minutes, can only be reactivated by re-booting the unit), any other had the same experience? After all, OSD worked perfectly in SW version 0033?!.
                    Is that OSD out the video monitor port, or the touchscreen display, or both? When you say reboot, do you mean cycle stand-by or cycle the rear power switch?

Comment

• ian1975
                      • Apr 2009

I experience the same problem too...It happens also when you switch between HDMI and coaxial input (plus no audio). To get audio, you have to open the last HDMI source that you have used the last time...I think it's a software problem.

Thanks!

Ian

Comment

• schmali
                        • Oct 2009

Is that OSD out the video monitor port, or the touchscreen display, or both? When you say reboot, do you mean cycle stand-by or cycle the rear power switch?
                        It's video monitor ports (HDMI out 1+2), touchscreen display shows OSD. Standby doesn't fix the problem, I had to use the power switch (backside). But even if you reactivate the OSD via power switch, it only lasts for a few minutes ... .

Comment

• Srrndhound
                          • Sep 2008

It's video monitor ports (HDMI out 1+2), touchscreen display shows OSD. Standby doesn't fix the problem, I had to use the power switch (backside). But even if you reactivate the OSD via power switch, it only lasts for a few minutes ... .
                          Thanks. Just so I'm clear, when you say OSD, do you mean the SSP's generated graphics control panels, or all video signals of any kind? If the former, could be software. If the latter, it tilts toward hardware. Either way, looks like something to discuss with Classe. No finger trouble (like setting the OSD timeout to 3 min) would do what you describe, that I can figure. That would just hide the OSD on both displays, and of course return at the slightest provocation.

Once you have it resolved, let us know what it was.

Comment

• schmali
                            • Oct 2009

Thanks. Just so I'm clear, when you say OSD, do you mean the SSP's generated graphics control panels, or all video signals of any kind? If the former, could be software. If the latter, it tilts toward hardware. Either way, looks like something to discuss with Classe. No finger trouble (like setting the OSD timeout to 3 min) would do what you describe, that I can figure. That would just hide the OSD on both displays, and of course return at the slightest provocation.

Once you have it resolved, let us know what it was.
                            Hi there,

OSD = Onscreen Display, meaning the SSP's generated graphics control panels (e.g. Menu, Volume). Video is fine on all HDMI outputs. Seems to be (at least for me) a permanent error since I installed software versions later than 0033, and the upgrade of course.

I think I will have to remind Classé since I already mentioned this error before, but somehow hoping they would fix this with the hardware upgrade. I'll let you know if there are any news.

Best

Comment

• Srrndhound
                              • Sep 2008

Hi there,

OSD = Onscreen Display, meaning the SSP's generated graphics control panels (e.g. Menu, Volume). Video is fine on all HDMI outputs. Seems to be (at least for me) a permanent error since I installed software versions later than 0033, and the upgrade of course.

I think I will have to remind Classé since I already mentioned this error before, but somehow hoping they would fix this with the hardware upgrade. I'll let you know if there are any news.
                              Got it.

I take it you did the DSP upgrade locally, i.e., not the factory. Since the DSP only affects audio, any pre-existing condition would remain, unless a simple jostling of boards/connectors during the process reestablished connections.

I hope it's resolved for you soon.

I myself would like to find a way to permanemtly kill the OSD at the video outputs. I turned off as many settings as exist, but none fully kill it. I'm forced to pass thru the BD player's HDMI in order to gain access to the HD audio. Is there some external box that can split out the HDMI audio and let the video head off to the PJ directly? That would work if it doesn't screw up the handshakes.

Any ideas?

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Soon it will all be fixed
                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wildtangent
                                  • Dec 2006

I myself would like to find a way to permanemtly kill the OSD at the video outputs.
                                  Menu->display setup->OSD setup->duration-> "NONE"

This will kill the temp banner but the OSD for the setup screens will still work.

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by wildtangent

This will kill the temp banner but the OSD for the setup screens will still work.
                                    Could anyone set up a single sheet with all the setup-tips :T
                                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wettou
                                      Could anyone set up a single sheet with all the setup-tips :T
                                      didn't I already do that?

Bye, did you finally get one?
                                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by wildtangent

Yes, even with None it's still a problem. If I want to tweak the sub level while playing, all my guests get to see it on the main screen.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                          • Sep 2008

Tonight I decided try something. I changed my Config to 5.1 instead of 7.1. This caused the cal noise level to drop about 6dB in the Ls/Rs outputs. I suspect those folks reporting the cal noise error are using 5.1 setups. It's an easy fix, I'm sure. I'll let Dave and Tom know.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                            • Mar 2005

Yes, I am using 5.1 and have the 6db drop in the Ls/Rs outputs with the internal cal noise. I also tested the next beta SW and had the same problem. Not a major problem since I used and external disc for calibration, however would like it fixed from Classe.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                              • Sep 2008

Yes, I am using 5.1 and have the 6db drop in the Ls/Rs outputs with the internal cal noise. I also tested the next beta SW and had the same problem. Not a major problem since I used and external disc for calibration, however would like it fixed from Classe.
                                              Now that the problem is understood, I'm sure it's an easy fix. Been silent for a while from Classe--not sure wasssaaap there.

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

How do you fix it using a CD?

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by wettou
                                                  How do you fix it using a CD?
                                                  It's not a CD, but a video disc with calibration signals. Another way to ensure correct calibration is to momentarily enable rear surround speakers, which activates the noise correctly in each channel, do the Ls/Rs cals, then turn off the rear speakers.

This is only necessary until the next code--said to be released the 23d of this month.

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

It is here

Let us know how well it works?

Comment

• Hberg
                                                      • Apr 2008

It works as expected. I installed it yesterday.
                                                      "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                        • Mar 2005

Upgraded to 2.0.1... I still have one problem. With the previous version the bass wasn't correct (boomy) until I selected ebass which, to me, worked in reverse (Other's mentioned this too). Now that Classe has grayed out (can't select) the ebass, when crossed over, I am back to double bass (boomy) with no way to stop it (i.e. I use to be able to select ebass to reverse what it was suppose to do). Not sure if this makes sense but I am going to have to go back to the previous version as the bass is unbearable with my two JL F113s.

Anyone else having this problem?

Update: Problem solved... See write-up in the larger SP800 section. Beden, last night I would have said wait... Now I am a happy camper. Everything appears to work.
                                                        Last edited by SRT-10 Viper; 25 November 2009, 09:39 Wednesday.

Comment

• beden1
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2006

I have not installed the new board or the software upgrade as yet. Has anyone found any benefit with the upgrade, or has it just been a PITA as it seems from reading these threads?

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by beden1
                                                            I have not installed the new board or the software upgrade as yet. Has anyone found any benefit with the upgrade, or has it just been a PITA as it seems from reading these threads?
                                                            Now that the 2.0.1 code is released, it appears to address most operational issues. Not having had the 1-chip version, I do not know if any of these problems existed before the dual DSP board.

--PLIIx movie & music active for all stream types
                                                            --Neo 6ES available for all multichannel stream types if rear speakers enabled
                                                            --Ebass adjusted for configurations combining full range and crossed over speakers
                                                            --Fixed audio muting out of standby on an inactive HDMI source
                                                            --Fixed noise generator levels on non 7.1 configurations
                                                            --Fixed analog video lock failure out of standby & HDMI video muting out of standby
                                                            --Fixed loss of OSD
                                                            --Fixed CD truncation that occurred if disc played immediately after HD bitstream
                                                            --Fixed Profile button consistency
                                                            --Dolby Late Night fully enabled for all Dolby streams

However, a future release will fix the PEQ noise problem that has existed in both versions since Day 1, but it will only work in the dual DSP platform.

Comment

• beden1
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2006

Now that the 2.0.1 code is released, it appears to address most operational issues. Not having had the 1-chip version, I do not know if any of these problems existed before the dual DSP board.

--PLIIx movie & music active for all stream types
                                                              --Neo 6ES available for all multichannel stream types if rear speakers enabled
                                                              --Ebass adjusted for configurations combining full range and crossed over speakers
                                                              --Fixed audio muting out of standby on an inactive HDMI source
                                                              --Fixed noise generator levels on non 7.1 configurations
                                                              --Fixed analog video lock failure out of standby & HDMI video muting out of standby
                                                              --Fixed loss of OSD
                                                              --Fixed CD truncation that occurred if disc played immediately after HD bitstream
                                                              --Fixed Profile button consistency
                                                              --Dolby Late Night fully enabled for all Dolby streams

However, a future release will fix the PEQ noise problem that has existed in both versions since Day 1, but it will only work in the dual DSP platform.
                                                              Thanks for your comprehensive response. My two issues that I have with the original version, is 1.) the volume control is not accurate when trying to do small adjustments, and 2.) the HDMI handshake is a mess when trying to change channels using the Comcast cable box. Currently, I only use the TV display for DVD, and use the TV directly when watching cable, as it is that bad.

Did they clear up these particular issues? I have a 5.2 setup, and have been very pleased with the spectacular sound quality. For DVD and Blu-Ray, I have just been using the direct signal (forget what that is called, as I'm in PA right now, and my system is in FL)

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                • Sep 2008

Thanks for your comprehensive response. My two issues that I have with the original version, is 1.) the volume control is not accurate when trying to do small adjustments, and 2.) the HDMI handshake is a mess when trying to change channels using the Comcast cable box. Currently, I only use the TV display for DVD, and use the TV directly when watching cable, as it is that bad.

Did they clear up these particular issues? I have a 5.2 setup, and have been very pleased with the spectacular sound quality. For DVD and Blu-Ray, I have just been using the direct signal (forget what that is called, as I'm in PA right now, and my system is in FL)
                                                                The volume control is indeed a smooth operator now.

I cannot speak to the Comcast box, but they did a lot of work on HDMI issues. Let's see if others chime in. If not here, do you watch the Classe thread at AVS Forum? Seems a lot of users there, too.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Aug 2003

I have comcast. channel switching is a lot better. going from hidef to SD and back synch's quicker. its not perfect, but significantly better.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                                    I have comcast. channel switching is a lot better. going from hidef to SD and back synch's quicker. its not perfect, but significantly better.
                                                                    Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping for near perfect, but significantly better is a step in the right direction.

I spoke with my dealer today, and he said I can't do the install myself as it would void my warranty. Has anyone else heard this before?

I would need to send it to them from FL to DE (kind of a PITA).

Can I upgrade the software before getting the new board installed?

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2008

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping for near perfect, but significantly better is a step in the right direction.

I spoke with my dealer today, and he said I can't do the install myself as it would void my warranty. Has anyone else heard this before?

No, the new software will not work in the old platform.

Others have done the board swap themselves. But it takes some skill, some experience dealing with static, a cooperative dealer or direct support from Classe, maybe other factors...

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2003

on AVS we heard tale of dealers charging a couple hundred dollars to do the upgrade. I can understand, from a dealers perspective, them not wanting to send you the board, and then something go wrong and having to deal with the RMA at that point, but I don't know. If a user wants to take the chance, the dealer should let them. Its not difficult.

I think there is more to it than you are being told. Could it be that you bought the SSP outside of the dealer-classe agreement, and they are avoiding any risk of that negatively affecting them or classe getting upset about it?

Comment

• beden1
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                          • 1676

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                                          on AVS we heard tale of dealers charging a couple hundred dollars to do the upgrade. I can understand, from a dealers perspective, them not wanting to send you the board, and then something go wrong and having to deal with the RMA at that point, but I don't know. If a user wants to take the chance, the dealer should let them. Its not difficult.

I think there is more to it than you are being told. Could it be that you bought the SSP outside of the dealer-classe agreement, and they are avoiding any risk of that negatively affecting them or classe getting upset about it?
                                                                          No, I bought it legitimately within their dealer-Classe agreement. I'll take a drive to the dealer to try and find out what's up. They are not charging for the install/upgrade.

Comment

• mjb
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 1483

Is there a way to tell, status or info screen, whether the dual DSP upgrade is installed or not? Or put another way, how can one confirm the newer dual DSP board is fitted?
                                                                            - Mike

Main System:
                                                                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                                            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• garak
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2007
                                                                              • 310

Originally posted by mjb
                                                                              Is there a way to tell, status or info screen, whether the dual DSP upgrade is installed or not? Or put another way, how can one confirm the newer dual DSP board is fitted?
                                                                              Goto Menu --> Status --> Version Info. If you have firmware version 2.0.X then you have the dual DSP board. If you have version 1.0.X, then you do not.

Comment

• mjb
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 1483

Originally posted by garak
                                                                                Goto Menu --> Status --> Version Info. If you have firmware version 2.0.X then you have the dual DSP board. If you have version 1.0.X, then you do not.
                                                                                Thanks :T
                                                                                - Mike

Main System:
                                                                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                                                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"