X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Srrndhound
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
    The Oppo was hooked up via HDMI and the Meridian was hooked up via coax. The Meridian was not upsampling (Status showed both at 44.1 kHz). Eric brought his own music. I'm not the right guy to tell you the science behind the difference, just what I hear.

At the end of the session, for grins, I hooked the Meridian up via analogue, using the dacs on the Meridian to my Audio Research Ref 3. The difference was another big step up in SQ. If I get Eric over again, we'll have to do a test of the Ref 3 vs Classe Analogue output stage.
    Does the Meridian offer the option of turning their upsampling filter on/off? Can you get the S/PDIF to output 88.1 kHz? Their data sheet implies it, but it's not certain. If so, would be interested to know your opinion.

Does the Oppo offer S/PDIF? If so, does it sound different than the HDMI?

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
      • Mar 2005

Yes you can turn the upsampling off. Not sure if it works via S/PDIF. The output for the test was 44.1 kHz for both devices. The Oppo does have S/PDIF. Eric sent me a note and will try to give his input this evening.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

OK guys... I had Eric over this past week to do our performance test between the Oppo 981 and the Meridian 808 via digital out using the dacs in the Classe 800.
        Oppo is to cheap how can yo compare this to Meridian

What if you find Oppo is better, oh no that might upset a few... Of course next would be to compare it with Classé CD players...

I have written about my impression, but will ask him to give his perspective.
        Where?
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Yes you can turn the upsampling off. Not sure if it works via S/PDIF. The output for the test was 44.1 kHz for both devices. The Oppo does have S/PDIF. Eric sent me a note and will try to give his input this evening.
          Would you be able to give me an idea of how to turn the upsampling feature off (on the 808 not 808i)? I can set my configuration to either "Type 0" which is for variable output, or "Type 1" which is for fixed output. "Type 2" and "Type 3" are applicable to the 808i only. I've set my player to "Type 1" and am using the analogue outs, obviously taking advantage of the Meridian DAC's.

Maybe there are more settings, not mentioned in my manual, which serve to bypass one or more of the following DSP features:

1. Upsampling
          2. FIFO and error correction
          3. Resolution enhancement

Thanks.

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by wettou
            Oppo is to cheap how can yo compare this to Meridian

What if you find Oppo is better, oh no that might upset a few... Of course next would be to compare it with Classé CD players...

Where?
            fact is the oppo players all around are better then players 3 times their price. Not many players, if any, can claim the same. Points need to be deducted from players which are not as universal.

I havent compared the Meridian to Oppo, but digitally if it lacks compared to something else I want to know what measurement was used besides placebo.

While the DACs in the Oppo are good, people would be crazy to spend tons on a player with high quality DACs when they have a high quality or reference processor. So again i need to ask...if no upscaling is happening what does a Merrdian do different then an Oppo from disc to output digitally speaking?

If one sounds different then the other then something different is happening and it should be able to be measured and shouldnt be secret.

On a side note judder is basically a non issue. Almost all good processors address it. I could be wrong but I was always under the impression its not complicated. My Rotel doesnt suffer from it.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
              • Mar 2005

ShadowZA; Download the Meridian Configuration SW, Configure an 808 as the source. Under 808 CD properties, select the second tab (set up). the 4th and 5th entry down is to set the max audio rate out. Set this to 48KHz. The main can be set 48, 96, or 192. The aux can be set to 48 or 96 only. I set both to 48. I believe this is still only for the analogue out and that the upsampling doesn't apply to digital out (however I set this just in case). On the Classe side under status it showed 44.1KHz for both the Oppo and the Meridian.

Vancouver, I'll let Eric give his perspective of why the Meridian sounds better. He is much better equiped then me to tell you that... I can only tell you what I hear.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Thanks, SRT-10 Viper. :T

Comment

• hifiguymi
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2007

OK, here it goes.

In SRT-10 Viper's system he has a Classe SSP-800, a pair of LAMM Reference 1.2 amps running a pair of 800Ds, a Krell TAS that is running an HTM1D and a pair of N802s in the rear, a pair of JL Audio f113s. He also has an Audio Research Reference 3 stereo preamp for two channel listening. His sources are a Meridian 808 CD player, and Oppo 981, a Denon DVD-3800BDCI BD player, a Slim Devices unit for streaming audio, and a Scamcast cable box.

We focused our listening on the SSP-800 in two channel with the 808 CD player and the Oppo 981. The 808 is hooked up S/PDIF and the 981 is hooked up HDMI. We confirmed that both players were not doing any upsampling and were both outputting 44.1kHz to the SSP-800. We found what level on the preamp for each source had the same volume at the listening position using an SPL meter so one wasn't louder than the other. We had the SSP-800 in two channel with the subwoofers playing and did all of our listening with just those two sources.

As the music, we had two factory pressed copies of the same CD (Michael Buble's "Call Me Irresponsible") and an original factory pressed and a burned copy of another (Damien Rice's "O"). We also used the same disc (both Tracy Chapman's "Crossroads" and Chris Isaak's "Forever Blue") and went back and forth from player to player (it's not ideal, but that is what we did at the end because I had them in my car at the time). When we used the Damien Rice discs, we even switched them around between the players and the results were the same.

What was the most evident was the midrange. The 808 was much smoother and less fatiguing. There was also much more depth in the soundstage and better height as well. Strings were less strident and brass instruments were more liquid and not as irritating. The 981 was very detailed in the bass and at times I preferred it but it wasn't as full and rich. So with things like cellos and acoustic basses the 981 wasn't as musical. The 808 had more body and still had detail in the bass. The 981 was better for the music that was more pop oriented and used electric bass and kick drum. The 808 was just easier to listen to. Plain and simple.

As for why all of this is, the 808 is a better transport. It does a better job of getting the info off of the disc and out to the preamp. My guess is jitter is lower in the 808 than the 981. The clock in the 808 I'm sure is better than what is in the 981 and has lower jitter at it's output. I've been in the A/V business since 1990 and I've always experienced differences in CD transports. They very rarely sound the same.

You can believe that all of this is crazy and it's just a placebo but couldn't the inverse be true? If you tell yourself that there won't be a difference then you won't hear one. Please, try it for yourselves with an open mind and trust your ears. Every time I hear, or read, someone say it can't be true and ask for all of the specifics on how the test was done never tries it for themselves. It goes back to the "all digital is the same so I won't hear a difference" argument.

Whew, that was long.

Eric

P.S. The SSP-800 is pretty awesome by the way. It's not as good as the ARC Reference 3 as a stereo only preamp, and it's internal DAC's are not as good as the 808's, but it is still very, very good. As a surround preamp, I've not heard better.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                    • Mar 2005

Eric, I think you captured it as I remember. Thanks!

PS to your PS: The 800 is the best sounding processor I have heard too.
                    It's better than my Meridian G68, and my Denon 5805 in multi-channel and 2 Ch. I'm a happy camper.
                    Last edited by SRT-10 Viper; 29 November 2008, 14:27 Saturday.

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Eric,

Thanks for your efforts, and for the very good review.

I totally agree with you about the need some people have for testing everything in order to validate what a system sounds like. IMO, if you can't actually hear the differences (and visa versa), then no testing in the world is worth a hill of beans.
                      Last edited by beden1; 29 November 2008, 15:13 Saturday.

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

Eric, I think you captured it as I remember. Thanks!
                        SRT-10 Viper,

Your system is awesome. Have you recently upgraded your speakers, or have you had them for some time?

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                          • Mar 2005

Beden1; Thanks for the kind words... I started building the system 3 years ago with the purchase of used 802Ns (now my rear speakers). I liked them so much I purchased within a few months new 800Ds. I had a HTM2D center for a couple years which I upgraded a few months ago to the HTM1D.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                            We found what level on the preamp for each source had the same volume at the listening position using an SPL meter so one wasn't louder than the other.
                            Just a couple of comments.

1) If there is a level difference between the Oppo and the Meridian, then at least one of them is processing the audio. Even if the sample rate is the same. This would mean there is more afoot than mere transport issues like jitter affecting the sound. Was the same 1.5 dB difference you mentioned previously still present?

Might be good to try the "dts CD" test to see if both are passing the data without modification. (Hmmm, maybe the Meridian is smart enough to output dts data without error while still using some processing for PCM. I'll ask Bob Stuart about that.)

2) If you are using an SPL meter and pink noise (or any color of noise) to match the levels, it is not precise enough to remove level error as a source of perceptible difference. The gains need to be matched to 0.1 dB to avoid that affect. Best measured with sine waves at the line out terminal using a good voltmeter.

Now it is indeed possible that the gain difference (assuming it's 1.50 dB) is exactly compensated by a volume control with 0.5 dB steps -- 3 clicks -- so the error is exactly offset. So I cannot guarantee that the error was not compensated correctly in your test. All I'm saying is that if you used noise to check it, you cannot be sure that it was.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2007

We used a few test tones and both players were within .5dB at all test tones. I have seen some transports that play much louder than others without touching the volume control but that was not the case here. I made that statement so people understood that there was not a volume difference. We took that out of the equation.

Why don't you try something similar and let us know what you find. Try a CD player and a DVD player with the same preamp and let us know how it goes. It still amazes me that people know that CD players sound different, amps sound different, preamps sound different, but transports can't. Again it's the all digital is the same and it can't be different because I've been told it's all the same. If that was the case you would have companies like Meridian making different level of components. I used to sell Mark Levinson and the No31 (and No31.5) and the No37 transports were different. The No31.5 was, and still is, an amazing CD transport. That piece even sounds better with the top closed as opposed to open.

Not all transports are the same. Try it for yourself and you will see.

Eric

Comment

• beden1
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2006

Beden1; Thanks for the kind words... I started building the system 3 years ago with the purchase of used 802Ns (now my rear speakers). I liked them so much I purchased within a few months new 800Ds. I had a HTM2D center for a couple years which I upgraded a few months ago to the HTM1D.
                                SRT-10 Viper,

I am in the process of deciding on upgrading my 803D main speakers. I like the 800Ds better than the 802Ds, but I'm having a problem with the size difference in relation to the space around my system.

I also want to project what a possible move to the 800Ds may do to my current HTM2D center speaker. May I ask why you decided to upgrade to the HTM1D, and how much improvement has been realized?

Thanks

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                  • Mar 2005

beden1,

If you can do the 800Ds (space), go for it. I found the HTM2D, while a very good center channel, never sounded like a complete match. I've heard some with the 802Ds say the same thing. When I installed the HTM1D, it was a significant improvement. I described it at the time as a wall of sound... To me it was as big an improvement to HT as the 800Ds were to 2 CH over the 802N.

Hope this helps!

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                    We used a few test tones and both players were within .5dB at all test tones. I have seen some transports that play much louder than others without touching the volume control but that was not the case here. I made that statement so people understood that there was not a volume difference. We took that out of the equation.

Why don't you try something similar and let us know what you find.
                                    A level difference of 0.5 dB, unfortunately, does not take this out of the equation. The louder one will sound better (clearer, more dynamic), all else being equal. I've done this exact test--with the same source in both cases--to blind listeners.

It still amazes me that people know that CD players sound different, amps sound different, preamps sound different, but transports can't.
                                    BTW, I am not saying they do not or cannot sound different. I am trying to eliminate the reasons why they ought to sound different even if they are identical in performance. Only then can we attribute the differences to the transport.

Bob wishes to confirm, which 808 player do you have--is it the 808.2, or the earlier 808?

Thanks,
                                    Roger

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                      • Mar 2005

I have the earlier version 1.

PS: This evening I tried a few more cds... I purposely had the Oppo be louder than the 808. Guess what, it still was not as good as the Meridian 808... Same results Eric and I had.

I have to tell you I set out hoping the Oppo would be close in SQ so I could sell my Meridian. I will be keeping the Meridian.
                                      Last edited by SRT-10 Viper; 30 November 2008, 13:29 Sunday.

Comment

• beden1
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2006

beden1,

If you can do the 800Ds (space), go for it. I found the HTM2D, while a very good center channel, never sounded like a complete match. I've heard some with the 802Ds say the same thing. When I installed the HTM1D, it was a significant improvement. I described it at the time as a wall of sound... To me it was as big an improvement to HT as the 800Ds were to 2 CH over the 802N.

Hope this helps!
                                        SRT-10 Viper,

Unfortunately, that's what I'm afraid of...as once I got the 800Ds, then I wouldn't be satisfied with my HTM2D. While I could possibly make due with space to accommodate the 800Ds, I don't see any way to make room for the HTM1D. I'm also not sure I consider the 802Ds a worthwhile upgrade particularly since I like the 800Ds so much, and if the HTM2D doesn't do that well with the 802Ds either.

The one thing I really like about the 803D and HTM2D combo is that they blend very well together.

I really appreciate your input, and I guess I'll have to ponder this situation a bit longer.

Sorry for taking this thread off-topic.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                          • Mar 2005

beden1, I went through a similar challenge of where to put the HTM1D. I had the HTM2D on a double shelf cabinet and needed the cabinet for my components. I opted for a low, one shelf high, Salamander that allowed me to put the HTM1D on it under my Plasma and still have space for many of my components. I also added another salamander in the corner of my room for the additional components. I am thinking about going to a built-in to the wall component rack in the future to improve space further.

Here is a picture of the lower cabinet:

Comment

• wettou
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • May 2006

Here is a picture of the lower cabinet: http://www.pbase.com/acm/image/101079650
                                            Nice, too bad the window is right on the opposite wall of the plasma
                                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2006

beden1, I went through a similar challenge of where to put the HTM1D. I had the HTM2D on a double shelf cabinet and needed the cabinet for my components. I opted for a low, one shelf high, Salamander that allowed me to put the HTM1D on it under my Plasma and still have space for many of my components. I also added another salamander in the corner of my room for the additional components. I am thinking about going to a built-in to the wall component rack in the future to improve space further.

Here is a picture of the lower cabinet:

http://www.pbase.com/acm/image/101079650
                                              SRT-10 Viper,

Your system looks great, and I'm sure it sounds the same.

What complicates our systems is trying to incorporate HT along with stereo. Once I connect the SSP-800 my HT system is complete. IMO, the 803Ds and HTM2D do an excellent job for HT along with the subs, and I'm quite satisfied with this very balanced system.

The reason I would like to add the 800Ds is primarily for stereo, as they do a better job as stand-alone speakers over the 803Ds or the 802Ds. But, it is a large commitment as you have done, to build a best case scenario system for both HT and stereo.

I think I'm going to wait to see what my current system is capable of once I get the chance of playing with the SSP-800. In my mind, if I'm able to get the subs tuned in with the 803Ds properly for stereo, then I might be able to stand pat. If not, then I'll have to re-design my setup to incorporate the larger speakers.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• beden1
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2006

Nice, too bad the window is right on the opposite wall of the plasma
                                                He can close the drapes to limit the glare when watching, and he also appears to have a projector screen. :T

Comment

• wettou
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                                                  What complicates our systems is trying to incorporate HT along with stereo. Once I connect the SSP-800 my HT system is complete.
                                                  The reason I would like to add the 800Ds is primarily for stereo, as they do a better job as stand-alone speakers over the 803Ds or the 802Ds. But, it is a large commitment as you have done, to build a best case scenario system for both HT and stereo.

I think I'm going to wait to see what my current system is capable of once I get the chance of playing with the SSP-800.
                                                  Well you could always do this:

- three 800D in front
                                                  - two 803D in back
                                                  - two Gotham Sub

And all would be well except your Bank Account :B

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                    • Mar 2005

beden1, I think it makes sense for you to see how happy you are with the Classe 800. You have an excellent balanced system. On Sub integration, I have 2 JL F113s and just ordered the SMS system from Velodyne to further smooth out my bass. It's actually very nice now, just thought I'd give the SMS additional try. Some have reported excellent results with the combo JL/SMS.

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

Does any one know when Widescreenreview is coming out with their review of the Classé SSP-800?

Comment

• beden1
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Oct 2006

beden1, I think it makes sense for you to see how happy you are with the Classe 800. You have an excellent balanced system. On Sub integration, I have 2 JL F113s and just ordered the SMS system from Velodyne to further smooth out my bass. It's actually very nice now, just thought I'd give the SMS additional try. Some have reported excellent results with the combo JL/SMS.
                                                        SRT-10 Viper,

I had the built-in SMS system with my Velodyne DD-12's and DD-15's. The system has a lot of flexibility and dials in the subs very well for HT.

I played with matching DD Series subs for quite a while but couldn't get them dialed in for pure music listening (I went from the DD-12s to the DD-15s). They were too active and overpowering, so my one dealer let me swap them (with extra credit back to me) in for a pair of Velodyne SC-1250 amps and twin SC-15" subs that have a modified SMS system. IMO, these are not as dynamic as the DD Series, but because they are not, they blend in better for music listening.

This one dealer thought I was crazy for swapping my DD-15's for the SC-15's, but after he had the chance of listening to them in my setup, he ended up adding them to his system as well. He also felt they were very musical.

Your 800Ds probably don't need the subs for pure music listening.

Comment

• dvlawrie@rogers
                                                          • Dec 2008

OKay. I'm going to buy the Classe SSP800 tomorrow. With reading all the posts (which I appreciate) Would their be anything out their to stop me from buying it. Any draw backs?? Is their any other product that may be better at that price.

Thanks

Comment

• garak
                                                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by dvlawrie@rogers
                                                            OKay. I'm going to buy the Classe SSP800 tomorrow. With reading all the posts (which I appreciate) Would their be anything out their to stop me from buying it. Any draw backs?? Is their any other product that may be better at that price.

Thanks
                                                            First, welcome to the forum.

As far as the SSP-800 goes, I've got more than 500 hours on mine, and I couldn't be happier. The sound quality is excellent, as I'm sure you're already aware.

I don't know if the dual DSP board is important to you, but there is one owner on this board who has a friend who works for the B&W group who says the dual DSP board will be available in Jan/Feb '09.

Regarding drawbacks, a few users have reported a bug, where in some rare instances, the processor prevents you from changing the sound processing mode. I've not had this issue, but Classe is aware of the problem, so a fix is likely coming. Another bug that I know of has to do with the AUX channels. In the configuration of these channels, one of the options is to use the AUX channels as a 2nd and 3rd sub. Currently, that doesn't work. If you try to use the AUX channels for 2nd and 3rd subs, no sound comes out of those channels. But this is another software issue that will likely be fixed.

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

Originally posted by garak
                                                              First, welcome to the forum. As far as the SSP-800 goes, I've got more than 500 hours on mine, and I couldn't be happier. The sound quality is excellent, as I'm sure you're already aware. I don't know if the dual DSP board is important to you, but there is one owner on this board who has a friend who works for the B&W group who says the dual DSP board will be available in Jan/Feb '09.
                                                              Great I sure hope it is true so I can go and put my deposit down...

Originally posted by garak
                                                              Regarding drawbacks, a few users have reported a bug, where in some rare instances, the processor prevents you from changing the sound processing mode. I've not had this issue, but Classe is aware of the problem, so a fix is likely coming. Another bug that I know of has to do with the AUX channels. In the configuration of these channels, one of the options is to use the AUX channels as a 2nd and 3rd sub. Currently, that doesn't work. If you try to use the AUX channels for 2nd and 3rd subs, no sound comes out of those channels. But this is another software issue that will likely be fixed.
                                                              Hopefully by the time they release the new DSP chip all these issues will be resolved :B

Comment

• beden1
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2006

Great I sure hope it is true so I can go and put my deposit down...

Hopefully by the time they release the new DSP chip all these issues will be resolved :B
                                                                You may either have to be patient or bite the bullet and get the SSP-800 sooner without the DSP chipset (and buy your blu-ray player with it's own decoder).

I was talking with a dealer last week who said Classe would not be ready with the upgrade until at least March or April 2009. He said they had a lot of code to write. I said this didn't sound right, as why had they not written the code already? He said he didn't know, but that is what Classe told him directly the week before.

Comment

• garak
                                                                  • Jul 2007

I was talking with a dealer last week who said Classe would not be ready with the upgrade until at least March or April 2009. He said they had a lot of code to write. I said this didn't sound right, as why had they not written the code already?
                                                                  I make a living writing software, so I think I can speculate as to the reason why they haven't written the code already.

My guess is that they probably had to get their hands on the new chip before they could start writing code for it. This is probably because they couldn't test any code for the new chip until they had the chip in hand (I doubt there are emulators for this chip). In software development, there isn't much use in writing code that you can't test. Quite often, you'll need to make sure step 1 works before you go on to step 2. Or worse, you could write steps 1 through 10 without any testing. Then you get to step 10 test it, and find out step 3 is causing a problem. In this case, you may have to rewrite steps 3-10. :cry:

Wasn't the lack of availability of the dual DSP chip the reason why it wasn't included initially?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2003

I was talking with a dealer last week who said Classe would not be ready with the upgrade until at least March or April 2009. He said they had a lot of code to write. I said this didn't sound right, as why had they not written the code already? He said he didn't know, but that is what Classe told him directly the week before.
                                                                    I can tell you that as of June they hadn't done any testing with the DSP - or minimal at most. They had it in house, but priority one was to get the unit shipping. Only after the units were shipping were they going to start working on the new DSP. So, go back to the time that the SSP started shipping and V1 code was released and use that as a potential time-line on when they probably started working on the DSP.

I'm very curious about the DSP. I could care less about the decoding, but I am curious if there will be any gains in audio clarity/quality from it.
                                                                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

You may either have to be patient or bite the bullet and get the SSP-800 sooner without the DSP chipset (and buy your blu-ray player with it's own decoder). I was talking with a dealer last week who said Classe would not be ready with the upgrade until at least March or April 2009. He said they had a lot of code to write. I said this didn't sound right, as why had they not written the code already? He said he didn't know, but that is what Classe told him directly the week before.
                                                                      I am not in a rush, I hate buying first generation products.... So I will wait what is an other six months in the grand scheme of things:B

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Here's a thought... What if they deliver the dual dsp and it sounds worse? : O )

I think I'll wait to upgrade until I hear from those that upgrade to see If I want it since I have full codec support today with my Denon.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                          • 3389

Here's a thought... What if they deliver the dual dsp and it sounds worse? : O ) I think I'll wait to upgrade until I hear from those that upgrade to see If I want it since I have full codec support today with my Denon.
                                                                          Unlikely but who knows

Comment

• wxmanunr
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Dec 2008
                                                                            • 64

Nice

Received my SSP-800 today. Wow, the build quality is amazing. Out of the box, the 2 channel CD playback is at least as good as my CDP-10 played through analog bypass on an SSP-25 (sad to say goodbye). Surround is stunning. Can't wait for the unit to break in. Setup is complex, but easy once you think Classe.

wxmanunr

Comment

• wettou
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 3389

Update on Classé SSP-800 and Blu Ray player

Here is an email I received a couple of days ago to a few questions I had:

Software fixes:

"The SSP-800 continues to be exceptionally successful and has rapidly acquired a large base of happy customers who are more than delighted with its performance. However, you are correct that there can presently be delays of 5-10 seconds when switching between certain HDMI sources, Also, if you switch to a COAX source that is in standby or off, you will not get audio when the source is activated until you switch to another input, then revert back to the COAX source. We are fully aware of these issues. The COAX issue is fixed and we have made serious progress optimizing the HDMI switching. Once the new code containing these improvements has been fully tested and approved, it will be posted on our website. SSP-800 owners will then be able to update their components using a PC in their own home. Regrettably I cannot confirm when the code will be available but I can assure you that it is absolutely our number one software priority at the moment. I sincerely hope that the code will be available before the New Year."

New Codecs

"In terms of hardware development, we (Classé) are fully focused on the SSP-800 upgrade. HD decoding involves around 270 million instructions per second (MIPS), which is about 90% of the capacity of the only DSP that is currently able to perform this process. We considered that the 10% remaining capacity on this DSP was not enough to perform the sophisticated post processing that we require in addition to HD decoding, which is why we launched the SSP-800 with our current DSP, a platform that operates 1800 MIPS but which does not decode HD bitstreams.

Our new platform is a Dual DSP where each chip is capable of operating at speeds of 2800 million instructions per second. It will not only decode the new bitstreams but also apply the post processing that you expect. This Dual DSP is truly cutting edge technology and even the boards are not available in large numbers at the moment. Boards should become available in serious quantities in the next few months, and we currently hope that they will be integrated into the SSP-800 in Sping 2009. However, this is an immensely complicated process, so the only thing I can guarantee is that the upgrade will happen and it will be free of charge to existing SSP-800 owners."

Classé Blu Ray Player

"The SSP-800 is rapidly gaining the status of the best processor in the world, and I think you will agree that any Classe Blu Ray player would require a similar pedigree. We’ve investigated Blu Ray very seriously and, from a purely technical standpoint, it is difficult to see where we could add value to a Blu Ray player’s performance. This means that we would be challenged to produce a Blu Ray player that is better than a Playstation 3.

Launching a Blu Ray player would therefore risk compromising our reputation for designing components like the SSP-800 or your CA-5200 and CA-2100, which easily outperform their competitors. As such we have decided not to develop a Blu Ray player at this time.

We also took a decision some time ago to no longer support SACD. It was a difficult decision for everyone at Classe, given the quality of the format and the fact that many of our customers own libraries of discs. However, it is generally accepted that the format was not commercially strong and fewer and fewer discs are being mastered. The main emerging market for multi-channel audio is DVDs of concerts, which is why the design team choose to make our current disc players compatible with DVD audio.

In terms of product development, our current strategy is to focus on our core strengths and develop products that are able to maximize the potential of Blu Ray, SACD and any media that is accessed from any location. Most conventional electronics limit the audio performance of audio media, and particularly high definition sources like Blu Ray. We have the capacity to extract the full value of these signals, so that you get genuine HD audio that matches the quality of HD video. The SSP-800 is a major element in this process."

Here you are thank you Classé for the updates.

It looks like I will have to be patient and wait until Spring 2009 :cry: Oh well!

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2008
                                                                                • 568

Thanks for sharing the response from Classe on their future plans. I curious as to what sort of "sophisticated post processing" they are doing? The only post processing I can think of is the EQ, and that seems pretty simple to me.

With all due respect, I don't buy their argument for not making a BD player. They make the CDT, which is nothing more than a transport, and should be no better at sending the digital bits to something like the SSP-800 than something like the Oppo. So if they can make a CD/DVD transport, why not a BD transport?

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 3389

Originally posted by AV-OCD
                                                                                  Thanks for sharing the response from Classe on their future plans. I curious as to what sort of "sophisticated post processing" they are doing? The only post processing I can think of is the EQ, and that seems pretty simple to me.
                                                                                  That is a good question? I doubt they will do Automated EQ but it would be a nice surprise.

Originally posted by AV-OCD
                                                                                  With all due respect, I don't buy their argument for not making a BD player. They make the CDT, which is nothing more than a transport, and should be no better at sending the digital bits to something like the SSP-800 than something like the Oppo. So if they can make a CD/DVD transport, why not a BD transport?
                                                                                  Yes, I guess they feel they could not improve on the PS-3

Comment

• wxmanunr
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2008
                                                                                    • 64

Classe Blu-ray

They could improve on the PS3 by offering bitstream output of the Blu-ray lossless codecs. I believe because of the HDMI chip the PS3 uses, it can never send DTS-HD MA/Dolby TruHD to the SSP-800 via bitstream.

wxmanunr

Comment

Working...
                                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                    Search Result for "|||"