X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
    Perhaps the customer needs to find a way to justify the cost of the 808?
    Since Oppo seems to be the Holy Grail of disc playback (at least for some people), he was really hoping to be able to get rid of the 808 and simplify his system. That is not happening do to it's performance.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
      All digital sources don't sound the same. I've been around a lot of gear in my life (I've been in the A/V business for over 15 years) and they are all different.Eric
      I would agree digital sources don't always sound the same? Why is that it should be identical and yet they are not.
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Come on fellas, I know better than that. The Oppo is hooked up with HDMI so he can get SACD without a bundle of cables (he has the 981 and it does DSD to PCM conversion). Since the 808 doesn't have HDMI he is using a coaxial digital cable on that. But if digital is all the same that shouldn't make a difference, right (this is in reference to CD playback only since the 808 doesn't do SACD)?

I wasn't there but plan to be on Monday. I know this customer really well and trust his ears. What he found doesn't surprise me at all. I will report on what I hear when I can and make sure the levels are matched. Again, he did that already but I will double check.

I know that you don't mean any disrespect, sikoniko, but all digital sources don't sound the same. I've been around a lot of gear in my life (I've been in the A/V business for over 15 years) and they are all different.

Eric

Eric,

I am not questioning what you are doing, but how this person is leveling the db's and any of the other variables possible. I don't believe in using the volume capability of the sources. It needs to be line-level. While this might be an easy way to switch back and forth between inputs, you stand to lose quality this way. make him line level both sources and find the db by the wheel. May be a little more work, but more accurate IMO.

I do respect everyones ability to have their own opinion. I don't doubt there is chance for differences either, "profound"? very doubtful IMO.

report back on monday with your findings. eagerly awaiting. :T

Outside of the sources, what does he think about the SSP-800? Which is really more relevant to this thread than the current discussion anyways.

Dan
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wettou
          I would agree digital sources don't always sound the same? Why is that it should be identical and yet they are not.
          you also believe I have land to sell in chernobyl. :

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

you also believe I have land to sell in chernobyl. :
            Yes I do too, no seriously I have listen to iPods with Apple loosless and then listen to the same music through the Mac and it sounds different.:W
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

Eric,

I am not questioning what you are doing, but how this person is leveling the db's and any of the other variables possible. I don't believe in using the volume capability of the sources. It needs to be line-level. While this might be an easy way to switch back and forth between inputs, you stand to lose quality this way. make him line level both sources and find the db by the wheel. May be a little more work, but more accurate IMO.
              With an SPL meter. He is changing the volume control on the SSP-800 and nothing else.

I do respect everyones ability to have their own opinion. I don't doubt there is chance for differences either, "profound"? very doubtful IMO.
              Try it yourself. I know you will surprised.

report back on monday with your findings. eagerly awaiting. :T

Outside of the sources, what does he think about the SSP-800? Which is really more relevant to this thread than the current discussion anyways.

Dan
              He likes is quite a bit. He had a G68 before and he thinks the two channel performance is much better. He uses an ARC preamp for stereo most of the time and is hoping the SSP-800 will better it so, again, he can simplify his system. He has 800Ds, an HTM1D, and N802s for rears (I wish I was him) and his system sounds really good. For surround, the jury is out on whether or not the SSP-800 is better, but it is at least the equal of the G68. I'll know more on Monday.

Eric

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Come on fellas, I know better than that. The Oppo is hooked up with HDMI so he can get SACD without a bundle of cables (he has the 981 and it does DSD to PCM conversion). Since the 808 doesn't have HDMI he is using a coaxial digital cable on that. But if digital is all the same that shouldn't make a difference, right (this is in reference to CD playback only since the 808 doesn't do SACD)?

I wasn't there but plan to be on Monday. I know this customer really well and trust his ears. What he found doesn't surprise me at all. I will report on what I hear when I can and make sure the levels are matched. Again, he did that already but I will double check.

I know that you don't mean any disrespect, sikoniko, but all digital sources don't sound the same. I've been around a lot of gear in my life (I've been in the A/V business for over 15 years) and they are all different.

Eric
                There are too many variables here, including choice of program and personal preference, for anyone to gainsay this guy's opinion.

Kal
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                  • Mar 2005

Hey guys... I'm the person Eric is talking about... I've been quiet for the last couple weeks since getting the 800 (more on that in a later post after 300 hours). I have over 100 hours on the 800 and it's true that it sounds better with time. Eric described my experience accurate. I've got a Meridian 808 running digital via coax to the 800 and the Oppo running digital via HDMI. I've sound leveled both devices in 2 separate configurations using an analogue SPL (they are more accurate then the digital ones). I was very interested in the test based on all the feedback on the forum. I thought I could sell the 808 if the Oppo was close in sound quality. The idea of pocketing $6500+ was of interest to me (especially these days). Unfortunately, to my ears it wasn't close... Now if you asked my wife she would say they sound the same. She also thought my 802Ns sounded like my 800Ds when I made that change. So to someone that listens to their system and enjoys the best of sound, what some might say is not a big difference, to me is a big difference. In fact big enough for me to keep the 808. I will still use the Oppo at times for casual listening, and for SACDs which I thought sounded pretty good.

Hope this helps guys!

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
                    Hey guys... I'm the person Eric is talking about... Now if you asked my wife she would say they sound the same. She also thought my 802Ns sounded like my 800Ds when I made that change. So to someone that listens to their system and enjoys the best of sound, what some might say is not a big difference, to me is a big difference. Hope this helps guys!
                    Cool system by the way, my wife actually appreciate the 802D vs the 802N since she has better hearing than myself. The kids also think the music is awesome through the 802Ds. Especially compared to mp3 on iPod :B

I am curious to hear your opinion on the SSP-800 after 300H

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Hey guys... I'm the person Eric is talking about... I've been quiet for the last couple weeks since getting the 800 (more on that in a later post after 300 hours). I have over 100 hours on the 800 and it's true that it sounds better with time. Eric described my experience accurate. I've got a Meridian 808 running digital via coax to the 800 and the Oppo running digital via HDMI. I've sound leveled both devices in 2 separate configurations using an analogue SPL (they are more accurate then the digital ones). I was very interested in the test based on all the feedback on the forum. I thought I could sell the 808 if the Oppo was close in sound quality. The idea of pocketing $6500+ was of interest to me (especially these days). Unfortunately, to my ears it wasn't close... Now if you asked my wife she would say they sound the same. She also thought my 802Ns sounded like my 800Ds when I made that change. So to someone that listens to their system and enjoys the best of sound, what some might say is not a big difference, to me is a big difference. In fact big enough for me to keep the 808. I will still use the Oppo at times for casual listening, and for SACDs which I thought sounded pretty good.

Hope this helps guys!
                      refresh my memory, were you comparing an SSP-800 to the Denon AVP1?

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                        • Mar 2005

Actually I had a Meridian G68 and asked if anyone had compared the two a little a while back... I never heard back from anyone so I tool a risk and sold the G68 and bought from Eric the 800. It's still early, however in 2 Ch stereo, I like the Classe better then the Meridian G68. I still have the jury out on movies... I might have to have someone come in an do a little work setting up the EQ to have it match the Meridian since the Meridian has it's own MRC that corrects some of the room challenges.

I've encountered one problem, that I think was mentioned by someone else. I have 2 JL Audio F113s. I couldn't get the Aux 1/2 connection to work with the second sub. I currently have them set up via a splitter to the sub output. Eric and I talked about this and I need to test to see if it's just the test tone that doesn't work or is it actually not working. More work to do... more listening and smiling.

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

I've encountered one problem, that I think was mentioned by someone else. I have 2 JL Audio F113s. I couldn't get the Aux 1/2 connection to work with the second sub. I currently have them set up via a splitter to the sub output. Eric and I talked about this and I need to test to see if it's just the test tone that doesn't work or is it actually not working. More work to do... more listening and smiling.

I was me that had this issue. I ended up going back to a Y splitter. I spoke to Dave and it is fixed in-house and will be released in an update in the coming weeks.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                            • Mar 2005

Great... I look forward to the fix. I want to be able to set the sub distances and spl them separate. Did you try to see if it works even though the test tone doesn't?

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

Great... I look forward to the fix. I want to be able to set the sub distances and spl them separate. Did you try to see if it works even though the test tone doesn't?

from Dave:
                              The subs issue is actually two things—one is a problem with the noise generator, the other was mislabeling of pages on the interface and in the manual. Everything was physically working but following directions got you into trouble.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

btw, just because I've changed the subject doesn't mean I'm not still suspect. :W

There shouldnt be that big of a difference. I think there is more exploration to do to discover why there is.

a certain person I know A/B'd a CDP-202 against a couple digital devices and said it was indestinguishable which device was being used. I called him today to get his take on the whole thing. perhaps he'll chime in at some point. :W

Comment

• beden1
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2006

btw, just because I've changed the subject doesn't mean I'm not still suspect. :W

There shouldnt be that big of a difference. I think there is more exploration to do to discover why there is.

a certain person I know A/B'd a CDP-202 against a couple digital devices and said it was indestinguishable which device was being used. I called him today to get his take on the whole thing. perhaps he'll chime in at some point. :W
                                  But, have you tested all of this yourself, as you have instructed others to do?

Sometimes I think we all need to trust our ears more, and depend less on the aspects of science. Music lives not in a vacuum.

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

How do you like the two subs? How big is your room? I have one JL Audio F113 and was thinking of adding a new one:B

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                      • Mar 2005

My room is 22 x 15 X 8 and is open on one end to the kitchen. I enjoyed the F113 very much and decided to try two to see if it would smooth out the room response. Initially I wasn't happy with the two running up front next to my 800Ds. The room response was worse. I then moved one to the back of the room still on the opposite side of the original F113 and this worked very well... this really smoothed out the bass response. My next step I am thinking about it to add the Velodyne SMS to help smooth out the bass response even more. Some have reported that combining the SMS with the F113 RC have helped them to get very close to a flat line with thier bass response.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beden1
                                        But, have you tested all of this yourself, as you have instructed others to do?

Sometimes I think we all need to trust our ears more, and depend less on the aspects of science. Music lives not in a vacuum.
                                        Is my John Atkinson quote a reference to science? :W

Here is the thing. My mind is not closed. I'm open to possibilities. BUT, if say 10 people say they experience the same results, and 1 person says something is different, I want to know why that 1 person is experiencing something different.

Could it be that Meridian has figured out how to make the ultimate transport? possibly. They sort of have the corner on the market for digital technology. After all, they did invent DVD-A and TrueHD, right?

Eric, would you be willing to extend your test and take a couple CDP's from different companies and price ranges to SRT's house? for the sake of science? hehehe. I can tell you that my sonos and Oppo sound identical. My friend compared his CDP-202 to a sonos (as both a transport and a player), and well.. the CDP-202 was sold a month ago. His opinion? as a transport it was indistinguishable. As a player, it was a slight advantage to the CDP-202 on some tracks.

I won't have an opportunity to reciprocate for the time being. My wife would freak out if something new was at home right now, even if it was a loaner. Last time I brought a "loaner" home, it never went back - hence 2 subs. :T

Comment

• Gump
                                          • Sep 2005

Neil/Gump,

Being that you are a Mc' person, but have moved the proc' of your system over to Classe, would you share your thoughts on the future with your system? Do you consider your amps done? Any thoughts of a full Classe system? You'd probably break even if you went the audiogon route.

Also, what would you say to a die-hard Mc' person about Classe's SSP?
                                          Well, I finally found something about the SSP-800 I'm not happy about-----not enough time to listen to it! HA! Went to Disneyland last week and had a great time watching the kids celebrate the Halloween festivities that Disney puts on----plus there were no long lines for the rides which was sweet. :T

However, I was a little anxious to get back and play with the "new toy" some more!

Yes, Dan/sikoniko, I do like McIntosh, but I liked Classe first. I had actually settled on Classe electronics as my first choice and then, due to some twists of fate, I ended up going the McIntosh route. And, ultimately, I'm not sorry I did because it's great gear and sounds very nice. It served me well.

As far as comparing the two all I can say is the SSP-800 is on a completely different level of sound than the McIntosh MX-135 processor. It knocks the MX-135 outta the park and I'm not talking "in the basket" here, but clear out on Waveland Avenue! If my suspicions are correct, the 800 is probably on another level than most processors, certainly at least in it's price range. I base this admittedly risky, blanket statement on my comparison of the SSP-800 with the MX-135 which is a fairly highly regarded piece of equipment. The change/improvement in my system's sound when I switched to the SSP-800 was not just noticable, but was truly significant.

As far as the future is concerned, I've been quite pleased and a little surprised as well, with the combination of the SSP-800 and the McIntosh MC-205 amp. Based on synergy in sound and also conformity in the looks department I will probably switch to the CA-5200 one day, but there is no sense of urgency at the moment. In an odd sort of way, I'm actually starting to become a bit enamored with the way they look next to each other. Kind of the best of both worlds feeling---or maybe strange bedfellows 8O . I'll try and take some pictures for ya...

My next upgrade will probably be my in-wall surrounds up to the SCMS series.

I don't see why it should be surprising to anyone that a $169.00 Oppo player should NOT sound in the same ballpark as a $6,500.00 dollar Meridian. So, even though the Oppo sounds quite good, I'll also explore the source as an upgrade as well. The best one I've personally heard has been the Linn unidisk.

I was able to listen to some music cd's that I'm very familiar with yesterday and again was excited by the vast improvement. The music begins and as you listen, you wonder for a moment if you're hearing what you really think you're hearing. Then the realization begins to dawn on you that this is really something special your listening to and that's when you start to smile---you just can't help yourself. Then this giddy feeling starts to stir inside you and you get this silly grin on your face and that's about the time your wife shakes her head and leaves the room mumbling under her breath----it's just great!

By the way, sikoniko, I played that SACD Aerosmith "Toys in the Attic" and it sounded spectacular in surround. Probably going to make it one of my demo discs for my rock n roll buds.

Neil

Comment

• wettou
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • May 2006

Originally posted by Gump
                                            Well, I finally found something about the SSP-800 I'm not happy about-----not enough time to listen to it! HA! Went to Disneyland last week and had a great time watching the kids celebrate the Halloween festivities that Disney puts on----plus there were no long lines for the rides which was sweet. :T
                                            Do you live in LA?

However, I was a little anxious to get back and play with the "new toy" some more! I was able to listen to some music cd's that I'm very familiar with yesterday and again was excited by the vast improvement. The music begins and as you listen, you wonder for a moment if you're hearing what you really think you're hearing. Then the realization begins to dawn on you that this is really something special your listening to and that's when you start to smile---you just can't help yourself. Then this giddy feeling starts to stir inside you and you get this silly grin on your face and that's about the time your wife shakes her head and leaves the room mumbling under her breath----it's just great!

I know that is what it is all about music, yes mine too

I played that SACD Aerosmith "Toys in the Attic" and it sounded spectacular in surround. Probably going to make it one of my demo discs for my rock n roll buds.Neil
                                            Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon
                                            A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.

and The Police are quite good as well
                                            A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.

Comment

• style
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Feb 2006

@gump
                                              this Tuesda< 04.11 B&W come to me at home whit the SSP800 and all my system will installed, check-ed, calibrated....

the ssp800 dont have a "stupid" auto setup.. and this job will be maked from a person that make this in place from a "sofware" = better a stardard software or a man with experience?.......

If a person have a special request I can turn the question direct the the Classe technic man.. and I hope to come in HTguide forum with this man so you a response from a expert......

Gump I will sell my MC205 but is not easy...(you say that the MC205 is great power ampli but with the combo SSP800+CA5200 I dont can integred the 205 in the system./combo...)

Oppo in not available in Switzerland so easy....but is a good player with a ver y interring price...(to have a oppo you must do to a very big HT center
                                              and they go make a specia order for you 8O )
                                              (never see a Oppo player "live" only pictures....= never listen)

B&W scmcs as rear? yes is a good speaker but if you have space the placing a 805/CM1-5(-7?)) can bea very interessing solution...
                                              You go with a 5.1 or you will have a 7.1 system?

greetings Omar

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2003

My next upgrade will probably be my in-wall surrounds up to the SCMS series.
                                                I have two pairs of SCMs's for my rears and surrounds. They are great speakers! Don't let people try and talk you into something else if that is what you want.

I don't see why it should be surprising to anyone that a $169.00 Oppo player should NOT sound in the same ballpark as a $6,500.00 dollar Meridian. So, even though the Oppo sounds quite good, I'll also explore the source as an upgrade as well. The best one I've personally heard has been the Linn unidisk.
                                                So you are saying price dictates quality? btw, they guy who created the Linn Unidisk also created the Classe CDP-202.

By the way, sikoniko, I played that SACD Aerosmith "Toys in the Attic" and it sounded spectacular in surround. Probably going to make it one of my demo discs for my rock n roll buds.

Neil
                                                I really wish Rocks was obtainable. Supposedly a couple people got the SACD while it was out. I'm gonna order Just Push Play this week I think on SACD. I still have some I've ordered and not had a chance to listen to though. It took me nearly 3 weeks to rip all of my CD's, so I'm starting to play around with my sonos. especially since they created software for the iTouch to use it as a controller.

Comment

• Gump
                                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                                                  Do you live in LA?
                                                  Nope.

Comment

• Gump
                                                    • Sep 2005

So you are saying price dictates quality? btw, they guy who created the Linn Unidisk also created the Classe CDP-202.
                                                    Although there ARE bargains to be had and exceptions to every rule, it has been my experience in life that ultimately you get what you pay for.

If that wasn't true then my Marantz A/V reciever would be downstairs in my family room and I'd have about twelve thousand more dollars in my savings account right now... :E

Comment

• Gump
                                                      • Sep 2005

..... btw, they guy who created the Linn Unidisk also created the Classe CDP-202.

I really wish Rocks was obtainable. Supposedly a couple people got the SACD while it was out. I'm gonna order Just Push Play this week I think on SACD. I still have some I've ordered and not had a chance to listen to though. It took me nearly 3 weeks to rip all of my CD's, so I'm starting to play around with my sonos. especially since they created software for the iTouch to use it as a controller.

I'll keep my eye open for both of them.

R-man has asked me over to listen to his set-up several times, but I've procrastinated. Wish I had gone before he sold his CDP-202. I am curious about this sonos system though.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                        • Sep 2008

The Oppo is hooked up with HDMI so he can get SACD without a bundle of cables (he has the 981 and it does DSD to PCM conversion). Since the 808 doesn't have HDMI he is using a coaxial digital cable on that. But if digital is all the same that shouldn't make a difference, right (this is in reference to CD playback only since the 808 doesn't do SACD)?
                                                        I've got a Meridian 808 running digital via coax to the 800 and the Oppo running digital via HDMI. I've sound leveled both devices in 2 separate configurations using an analogue SPL (they are more accurate then the digital ones).
                                                        Could I ask a few questions? If the digits delivered by each transport are the same (ignoring jitter for the moment), one would expect a perfect match in SPL. But the explanations seem to imply that some degree of level compensation was needed between the two players. Is that correct? If so, how much was applied (dB)? What was the test signal used to make the SPL measurement? Sine wave, noise, other?

If the levels were different, one (or both) of the players are processing the audio. Meridian has a nice upsampling process, which does wonders for CDs. Is that in play here?

Is it also possible that S/PDIF (Meridian) sounds different than HDMI (Oppo)? Could that not be a factor?

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                          • Mar 2005

Srrndhound; I found the Oppo needed to be reduced 1.5db to match the Meridian via SPL. I used pink noise for the test signal that I cut to a cd.

I moved the listening session with Eric to tomorrow (Saturday). I'll let him give his perspective to see if it matches what I am hearing. I find the voice from the oppo on female singers actually hurt my ears a little (Shrill). The meridian doesn't have that problem. I also find instruments (Piano, Guitar, Symbols) all sound closer to the actual instruments with the Meridian and not the Oppo.

I'm not sure if the coax attachment on the Meridian vs the HDMI on the Oppo would make a difference.

Comment

• Gump
                                                            • Sep 2005

Srrndhound; I found the Oppo needed to be reduced 1.5db to match the Meridian via SPL. I used pink noise for the test signal that I cut to a cd.

I moved the listening session with Eric to tomorrow (Saturday). I'll let him give his perspective to see if it matches what I am hearing. I find the voice from the oppo on female singers actually hurt my ears a little (Shrill). The meridian doesn't have that problem. I also find instruments (Piano, Guitar, Symbols) all sound closer to the actual instruments with the Meridian and not the Oppo.

I'm not sure if the coax attachment on the Meridian vs the HDMI on the Oppo would make a difference.
                                                            Viper,

My 981/SSP-800 combo has zero shrillness and is very smooth to my ears. However, it is also what I would describe as detailed and dynamic sounding while maintaining it's smooth and refined character. I've played Eva Cassidy and Bonnie Raitt with no problems and definitely no discomfort nor fatigue....quite the contrary, the female voices sounded almost enchanting or mystical---I couldn't stop listening to them. The McIntosh MX-135 processor had a warmer sound but was nowhere near as refined or engaging as the Classe. I do think the 981 is limited in some sound aspects and plan on exploring upgrades in that department.

One other note, I am still using the McIntosh MC-205 amp which may be toning the 800 down a bit.

Good luck tomorrow! :T

Neil

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

I heard that the first official in depth review of Classé SSP-800 should be in Q2 2009 by then it might be a finished product with software and hardware upgrades? :B

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                • Sep 2008

Thanks for confirming. I am quite certain that the Meridian is utilizing its upsampling process. I suppose one way to be certain is to see if the Classe reports 88.2 kHz for the PCM input or not.

In case others here are not aware, here is their blurb: >>Meridian’s research team designed an exquisite new filter based on their original research – a filter with ‘apodizing-like’ qualities. It first appeared in the 808.2 and is now included in the G08.2. This filter system removes “ringing” and pre-echoes for superb clarity and imaging, and is so effective that it can even correct errors made in the recording or mastering stage. CDs played back on the G08.2 can sound even better than they did in the studio!<<

All I can say is it sounds quite amazing (Bob Stuart gave me a demo of it at the Venetian, CES 2007). It makes CDs sound like DVD-A. So it makes perfect sense that the Meridian player sounds clearly different than the Oppo, and probably any other CD player. I'd be surprised if it didn't. Might be interesting to run the test also with the upsampling turned off, if that's possible. Note that the -1.5 dB gain factor would also probably disappear in that case.

Comment

• style
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Feb 2006

B&W Switzerland go with the upgrades in Europa in february/march 2009

In USA the new DSP chip with the codec will be available in january 2009.

The problem is only that the ssp800 with your ONLY ONE chip DSP inside sound better or same as codec dd+/dts MA or so like that :B :B

Well if the new chip DSP come in 2 years will be anyway the best processor today available :T

Style

Comment

• style
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2006

In the link from Classe you can read:

The SSP-800 has captured the high end of the surround processor market by simply out-performing everything else. A CDP-502, CDP-300 or CDT-300 is the perfect complement to this exciting new model, delivering more resolution from DVDs and CDs than any Blu-ray player can touch. Now, Classé is offering 25% off a matching Classé DVD player when purchased with an SSP-800, or our more affordable SSP-600 or SSP-300 models.

and much more.

at today the SSP800-CA5200 (or others Classe power ampli) + CDT300 is a dream combo.

Next week I receive a cdt300 for testing ... :T
                                                                    only problem is not the cdt300 but the possibility ($ $) to buy this super player ops:

Style

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by style
                                                                      In the link from Classe you can read:

A CDP-502, CDP-300 or CDT-300 is the perfect complement to this exciting new model, delivering more resolution from DVDs and CDs than any Blu-ray player can touch.

They almost make it read like that combo is better then a BD player playing a BD.

Honestly who really cares about "upconverted" DVDs or at least who would pay top dollar for it?

There are a good amount of BD tittles out and lots coming every week. People who would invest in classe equipment want the best...seems strange for classe to talk about how good DVD can look and sound.

IMO the only valuable thing about a Classe DVD player is the way it looks from the outside. Thats it.

Comment

• merlinus
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2008

Blu-ray

I agree with you, and purchased the Marantz BD-8002. It works well with the SSP-800, and I use "discrete" processing so the newer audio modes are decoded in the player.

It connects via HDMI 3.1.
                                                                        merlin

Comment

• wettou
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                          • 3389

In the link from Classe you can read: The SSP-800 has captured the high end of the surround processor market by simply out-performing everything else. A CDP-502, CDP-300 or CDT-300 is the perfect complement to this exciting new model, delivering more resolution from DVDs and CDs than any Blu-ray player can touch. Now, Classé is offering 25% off a matching Classé DVD player when purchased with an SSP-800, or our more affordable SSP-600 or SSP-300 models. and much more. at today the SSP800-CA5200 (or others Classe power ampli) + CDT300 is a dream combo. Next week I receive a cdt300 for testing ... :T
                                                                          only problem is not the cdt300 but the possibility ($ $) to buy this super player ops: Style
                                                                          I love the look of Classé DVD player but sorry next to a Sony BDP-S55O blu ray player the image and audio quality is not even close and for $329 I can buy ten Blu Ray players.

Maybe when Classé comes out with a blu ray player I might look into it?

Comment

• style
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2006
                                                                            • 1562

is so strange becouse with my Sony S300 vs. Denon3930 the BD win only with movie really good registred....(ConAir,007-CasinoRoyla,..) but in others
                                                                            movie I dont see so much diffenret between the 3930 and the Sony (on my Kuro and the SSP800 video part)....

bluray vs. HD? HD (Toshiba hdex1 software vers.4) well, in this situation
                                                                            the Toshiba win vs. bluray 8and not a little...) and the 3930 is not comparable...
                                                                            I have this week end tested a Arcam diva 137... but the denon is superior....

Next week I go test the Classe dvd/cd player....cdT300.
                                                                            I go see.

sure I have the Sony S550 in my wish-liste, and is very abbordable $$$
                                                                            (I go sell the S300 and buy the s550, or S300 go in my Bedroom..)

Classe dont come with a Bluray player....(well in the next 2-3 years sure)
                                                                            style

Comment

• style
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2006
                                                                              • 1562

Another possibility:

combo SSP800 (and this one make really a good job and "delivered" very good
                                                                              pictures) + classe ampli (CA5200 example)

for the dvd/cd players:

Classe CDT300 for movie dvd standard & cd music.
                                                                              Denon 2500T for the Bluray (never listen&see a movie) or the inexpesive
                                                                              sony S550. (well the Marantz 8002 in switzerland is priced at $ 3000.- with much fortune - chf. 3846.- 8O / denon 2500T cnow for chf. 1690.- avialable)

Style

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

Another possibility:SSP800 + CA5200
                                                                                Ye

Classe CDT300 for movie dvd standard & cd music.
                                                                                Good looking but seriously over priced, for music Apple Ipod with loosless files.

Denon 2500T for the Bluray
                                                                                Definitely over priced

sony S550
                                                                                Yes very nice or Panasonic 55

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 253

OK guys... I had Eric over this past week to do our performance test between the Oppo 981 and the Meridian 808 via digital out using the dacs in the Classe 800. I have written about my impression, but will ask him to give his perspective. I will give you the net view. We both found a significant difference between the two. Eric felt the Oppo 981 sounded better in one area and the Meridian 808 sounded better in all other areas. I've asked him (ok, bugged him) to write his perspective but he's been very busy. OK, Eric let's hear your perspective. lol.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 2299

OK guys... I had Eric over this past week to do our performance test between the Oppo 981 and the Meridian 808 via digital out using the dacs in the Classe 800. I have written about my impression, but will ask him to give his perspective. I will give you the net view. We both found a significant difference between the two. Eric felt the Oppo 981 sounded better in one area and the Meridian 808 sounded better in all other areas. I've asked him (ok, bugged him) to write his perspective but he's been very busy. OK, Eric let's hear your perspective. lol.
                                                                                    Was he able to bring any other sources over? Both were hooked up digitally, correct? Both via SP/DIF?

I don't think this is enough info to come to any conclusion yet. We need to do further testing IMO.

This report is significantly different from Rebelman's comparison of the Sonos vs the CDP-202.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2005
                                                                                      • 1792

I would like to know the science behind how one digital signal could sound better then another. What is the payer doing to the signal doing between the disc and output?

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2006
                                                                                        • 1098

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                                                                        I would like to know the science behind how one digital signal could sound better then another. What is the payer doing to the signal doing between the disc and output?
                                                                                        Could it perhaps have something to do with jitter? I believe that by the time that data is passed to the digital output of the Meridian 808, the jitter is incredibly low.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2008
                                                                                          • 446

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                                                                          Most of the time, CD players do no signal processing when passing the signal to the S/PDIF. If you want to check if your player is doing this correctly or not, just play a DTS CD and see if it decodes correctly. If so--no changes. If it has errors in the DTS decoded sound, it is changing the data.

The Meridian may be the exception to that rule, as they offer an upsampling process as I mentioned in post 121. If the S/PDIF is clocking at 88.2 kHz, that's a dead giveaway. The other symptom is a change in level, and 1.5 dB was reported previously. If these two players sounded the same, then I'd say something was wrong.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                                            • 253

The Oppo was hooked up via HDMI and the Meridian was hooked up via coax. The Meridian was not upsampling (Status showed both at 44.1 kHz). Eric brought his own music. I'm not the right guy to tell you the science behind the difference, just what I hear.

At the end of the session, for grins, I hooked the Meridian up via analogue, using the dacs on the Meridian to my Audio Research Ref 3. The difference was another big step up in SQ. If I get Eric over again, we'll have to do a test of the Ref 3 vs Classe Analogue output stage.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"