X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Classé SSP-800 Reviews

We could make this the thread only for professional reviews from the likes of What HiFi, Stereophile, Home Theater Magazine, Ultimate AV, Widescreen Review, Dagogo Audiophile, Audioholic, HiFi+, The Absolute Sound, Haute Fidelite Magazine, Prestige.....
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Well we don't have official reviews yet, but I will give my two cents.

Today for the second time I had the opportunity to go and listen for myself to the SSP-800 at my favorite dealer show room.:T

The set up was:
    - Processor: Classé SSP-800,
    - Amplifier: Classé CA-5200
    - Speakers: B&W 802D front, HTM1D Center and 803D surround L,R
    - (Sub I don't know)

Close to what I have at home so it as nice to compare.

I played the 2008 DTS Blu Ray Demo disc and was very impressed. It had amazing clarity and great dynamics.

Music: I played in stereo and also using the Dolby Prologic IIx

- Tchaikovsky: Piano Concertos 1 & 3. Blu Ray DTS Master Audio 7.1, (http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Concertos-Acoustic-Reality-Experience/dp/B0019HSQ68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1224109827&sr=8-1)
    - Demo disc from 2L (http://www.2l.no/sampler2007/index.html)

- Pink Floyd and Norah Jones uncompressed on an iPod with the Wadia 170i transport

Overall, I was quite impressed enough to know that I will buy the SSP-800. I am waiting for Classé to release the upgrade board decoding the new codec and hope it comes sooner than latter.

It will be interesting to see if music studios will develop classical music on Blu Ray that would be awesome

I had time to check the menu and found that the processor get fairly hot as well 54 Celsius!

On an other note the New Wilson ($162K) where in an other room and that was something else! Out of my league financially

Again thank you David, your store is always amazing.
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Orb
      • Aug 2008

I just realised today one thing about how hot all these pros run and no-one has done a comparison with PC graphics cards.

The latest graphics cards when running at full load have temps between 65celcius and 90 (for Radeon 3870)!
      Here is a useful link to show some of those temperatures (look down the page)
      Sapphire slaps on an upgraded cooler and ramps up clocks. Enough to justify a £35 premium? We tell you.

So, when put into context it is not surprising to see the heat generated by the latest AV pros as I bet in most cases the heat is coming from the video processing.
      This is basically where it comes from on the Onkyo and is noticable because the video processor is the top card and close to the grills on top of the product.

Food for thought.
      Cheers
      Orb

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Orb
        I just realised today one thing about how hot all these pros run and no-one has done a comparison with PC graphics cards. The latest graphics cards when running at full load have temps between 65celcius and 90 (for Radeon 3870)! Here is a useful link to show some of those temperatures (look down the page)
        Sapphire slaps on an upgraded cooler and ramps up clocks. Enough to justify a £35 premium? We tell you.

So, when put into context it is not surprising to see the heat generated by the latest AV pros as I bet in most cases the heat is coming from the video processing. This is basically where it comes from on the Onkyo and is noticeable because the video processor is the top card and close to the grills on top of the product. Food for thought. Cheers Orb
        Interesting, the Classé SSP-800 doesn't have video scaler just a pass through?

Comment

• Orb
          • Aug 2008

I think that simplifies it a bit too much.
          Remember the Onkyo video processor runs seriously hot even when not using it for video upscaling.

The heat generated will depend upon how much processing power-speed has been implemented for the video processing circuitry, which can sometimes be associated with managing the HDMI interface as well.

Still, I agree it is a shame there is no upconversion, although it does look to support some future specs such as deep color.
          Cheers
          Orb

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

As quickly as video scalers change and get better, I'm glad Classe didn't bother with one. It adds cost and can be a detriment down the road if you would ever want to sell the SSP-800. I know there would be a number of people that would bypass it if there was one so why pay for it if you don't need it.

Eric

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
              • Mar 2005

Eric you are right... NOW if I can only get my system : )

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
                Eric you are right... NOW if I can only get my system : )
                Patience young Jedi, it will come.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                  As quickly as video scalers change and get better, I'm glad Classe didn't bother with one. It adds cost and can be a detriment down the road Eric
                  I completely agree with 1080p blu ray you don't need any scaling and with DVD the Oppo are kings of the hill.

Now when 4K comes along in Home Theater then your Classé SSP-800 will still be sate of the art :T

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

I have returned to PA, and while here, my local Classé/B&W dealer is making arrangements for me to audition the new SSP-800 along with the 803Ds (my current speakers), and compare them to the 802Ds and the 800Ds with the new processor. It should be an interesting audition all around.

Since I have only been able to listen to stereo for the past month with my surround amp out for service, I primarily want to listen in stereo during the audition, and for the best comparison to my CP-500. I also selected a CD to bring to the audition that I purposely listened to critically numerous times on my system, in order to get the best impression and comparison.

The differences will be their listening room compared to mine (mine is more lively compared to their flat sounding room), their CAM-400's versus my CAM-350's, and their CD player.
                    Last edited by beden1; 17 October 2008, 23:24 Friday.

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beden1
                      I have returned to PA, and while here, my local Classé/B&W dealer is making arrangements for me to audition the new SSP-800 along with the 803Ds (my current speakers), and compare them to the 802Ds and the 800Ds with the new processor. It should be an interesting audition all around.

Since I have only been able to listen to stereo for the past month with my surround amp out for service, I primarily want to listen in stereo during the audition, and for the best cmparison to my CP-500. I also selected a CD to bring to the audition that I purposely listened to critically numerous times on my system, in order to get the best impression and comparison.

The only difference will be their listening room compared to mine (mine is more lively compared to their flat sounding room), their CAM-400's versus my CAM-350's, and their CD player.
                      OOC, do you plan to listen to the CDP as a transport (connected digitally) or as a player (connected with xlr and bypass enabled?)? Will it be this weekend?

also, care to share info on the demo disk?
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                        OOC, do you plan to listen to the CDP as a transport (connected digitally) or as a player (connected with xlr and bypass enabled?)? Will it be this weekend?

also, care to share info on the demo disk?
                        I'm not sure what OOC means? I'm planning on next week around Wednesday. I don't know what CD player they will use or how it's connected. My CD player does not have balanced connections, but it should compare well with whatever they use. What is the best setting to use on the SSP-800 to listen to stereo as compared to a dedicated pre-amp?

This would not be intended as a scientific study, but as an audition to hear how the SSP-800 sounds to me as compared to the sound in my head of the CP-500. I will also be able to legitimately compare the differences in the speakers as they will all be run from their same system and my CD.

The CD I'm bringing is Brian Wilson's "That Lucky Old Sun". IMO, his voice is tailor made for comparing the mid range frequencies. His voice should also let me determine if my previous less than positive impressions of the marlan head is a legitimate issue, and is something I can live with or not. He also has used a myriad of instruments in these recordings which should serve well in giving each speaker a proper workout in the scales. I listened to it every night for over two weeks in order to get the sound ingrained in my head for this upcoming audition.

Comment

• Gump
                          • Sep 2005

Patience young Jedi, it will come.

Eric
                          Yea, it's a virtue alright...

The tracking number on my 800 showed that it arrived in Phoenix earlier today, but it's not scheduled for delivery until Monday. I really wanted to have it today so that I could set it up and tinker with it over the weekend. So, I went down to the shipping distribution center to see if I could "persuade" them to give it to me early. No luck. They were nice about it, but I'm stuck waiting until Monday.

Very frustrating knowing I was standing about 75ft away from it inside some warehouse and couldn't get my hands on it..... :evil:

I've been waiting so long now that the thought of even a couple more days is driving me batty :blink:

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Gump
                            Yea, it's a virtue alright...

The tracking number on my 800 showed that it arrived in Phoenix earlier today, but it's not scheduled for delivery until Monday. I really wanted to have it today so that I could set it up and tinker with it over the weekend. So, I went down to the shipping distribution center to see if I could "persuade" them to give it to me early. No luck. They were nice about it, but I'm stuck waiting until Monday.

Very frustrating knowing I was standing about 75ft away from it inside some warehouse and couldn't get my hands on it..... :evil:

I've been waiting so long now that the thought of even a couple more days is driving me batty :blink:
                            That's a shame they wouldn't give it to you. Maybe you should have tried to persuade them with a bit of coinage of the paper kind. :W

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                              • Mar 2005

Gump, mine shipped Friday, So I won't get it until mid-week next week.... Everything is relative (wish I could have it Monday) : )... Let us know your impression Monday so I can live vicariously through you.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

OOC: means Out Of Curiosity.

I have my player hooked up via digital. I've used both a digital cable and HDMI. I have the processing mode set to stereo and I have the configuration set to both speakers large for L/R and all other speakers disabled.

Let me guess Gump, UPS? they suck in that policy. They will not deliver until the date that it was paid to be delivered. FedEx will deliver as soon as they can.

One important trick to remember. When making changes, you have to put the proc' into standby in order to 'save' the settings. If you shut it off on the back without going into standby first, you will lose your settings! Learned that the hard way.

Comment

• merlinus
                                  • Feb 2008

My player is hooked up via XLR cables. The input is set to stereo.

Configuration is front L/R speakers large, all other speakers disabled, subwoofer and e-bass enabled, crossover at 60 Hz.
                                  merlin

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

I'm not sure what OOC means? I'm planning on next week around Wednesday. I don't know what CD player they will use or how it's connected. My CD player does not have balanced connections, but it should compare well with whatever they use. What is the best setting to use on the SSP-800 to listen to stereo as compared to a dedicated pre-amp?

This would not be intended as a scientific study, but as an audition to hear how the SSP-800 sounds to me as compared to the sound in my head of the CP-500. I will also be able to legitimately compare the differences in the speakers as they will all be run from their same system and my CD.

The CD I'm bringing is Brian Wilson's "That Lucky Old Sun". IMO, his voice is tailor made for comparing the mid range frequencies. His voice should also let me determine if my previous less than positive impressions of the marlan head is a legitimate issue, and is something I can live with or not. He also has used a myriad of instruments in these recordings which should serve well in giving each speaker a proper workout in the scales. I listened to it every night for over two weeks in order to get the sound ingrained in my head for this upcoming audition.

Also, don't go in there with the pre-conceived notion that it is like what you are used to. When I first heard the SSP at home, I had VERY mixed feelings about it. It is not warm like what you may be used to. It is VERY transparent, very detailed, and very listenable.

Comment

• beden1
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2006

Also, don't go in there with the pre-conceived notion that it is like what you are used to. When I first heard the SSP at home, I had VERY mixed feelings about it. It is not warm like what you may be used to. It is VERY transparent, very detailed, and very listenable.
                                      At the age of 55, my mind already knows how it likes music to sound. In this case, the SSP-800 will either sound as good or better than my CP-500, and hopefully better. If not, then no sale. I'll then just continue to use my CP-500 (or another pre-amp) in by-pass, and along with another pre-pro for HT.

I'm going in hoping it does sound very good. You're making me a bit skeptical however, cautioning me about "pre-conceived notions", which says to me that it does not sound very good?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

At the age of 55, my mind already knows how it likes music to sound. In this case, the SSP-800 will either sound as good or better than my CP-500, and hopefully better. If not, then no sale. I'll then just continue to use my CP-500 (or another pre-amp) in by-pass, and along with another pre-pro for HT.

I'm going in hoping it does sound very good. You're making me a bit skeptical however, cautioning me about "pre-conceived notions", which says to me that it does not sound very good?
                                        I can't speak for how you will perceive it. You will either love it or respect it. It is really rather a matter of tastes. I think diamond tweeters sound fantastic with it.

Comment

• Gump
                                          • Sep 2005

That's a shame they wouldn't give it to you. Maybe you should have tried to persuade them with a bit of coinage of the paper kind. :W
                                          I assure you that was the main part of the "persuasion" package... . No luck though. Believe me they tried, but the box was still on the truck trailer and they weren't unloading it until it's moved to another distribution center today, due to be unloaded tomorrow. There was nothing they could do.

I may run down to the other distribution center tomorrow and try a knock on the "back door" and see if I have any better luck.

Actually, I am starting to scare myself a little bit :E . Ha!

Comment

• Gump
                                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
                                            Gump, mine shipped Friday, So I won't get it until mid-week next week.... Everything is relative (wish I could have it Monday) : )... Let us know your impression Monday so I can live vicariously through you.
                                            You're already ahead of me Viper, I waited almost 2 months for mine.

I shall indeed share my initial reaction.

Comment

• Gump
                                              • Sep 2005

...I'm going in hoping it does sound very good. You're making me a bit skeptical however, cautioning me about "pre-conceived notions", which says to me that it does not sound very good?
                                              Well, despite some set-up challenges and a few pre-break-in hesitations, I have not heard ANY of the current owners on this forum say they did not like the SSP-800's sound. (and I sure hope that I'm not the first!) All of the feedback that I have heard has been extremely positive in that regard.

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

Well, despite some set-up challenges and a few pre-break-in hesitations, I have not heard ANY of the current owners on this forum say they did not like the SSP-800's sound. (and I sure hope that I'm not the first!) All of the feedback that I have heard has been extremely positive in that regard.
                                                Well give us your honest opinion don't let others bias you:lol:

Comment

• Gump
                                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                                                  Well give us your honest opinion don't let others bias you:lol:

"The TRUTH? You can't HANDLE the truth!" Ha! :rofl:

No worries, wettou. I calls em as I see's em...

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

"The TRUTH? You can't HANDLE the truth!" Ha! :rofl: No worries, wettou. I calls em as I see's em...
                                                    Good you are right "the truth will set you free" :B

Comment

• beden1
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2006

I will be very interested in learning about your impressions, particularly since we are pretty much running the same gear. :T

Comment

• Orb
                                                        • Aug 2008

As quickly as video scalers change and get better, I'm glad Classe didn't bother with one. It adds cost and can be a detriment down the road if you would ever want to sell the SSP-800. I know there would be a number of people that would bypass it if there was one so why pay for it if you don't need it.

Eric
                                                        Eric, this is not directed at you or particularly anyone but your post is a good one to quote on the subject of scaling and up conversion.

I guess though in many countries there will be equipment used that is basic PAL (satellite receivers as an example or standard DVD) and these are connected to HD screens.
                                                        Now if the pro is not handling this then the television needs to be a bit more special.
                                                        After all it is not just up conversion/scaling but de-interlacing, noise, artifacts,etc introduced by digital processing that has to be done somewhere for different sources; DVD (not Blu-ray)-Pro-TV.

I appreciate my original comments may have caused this other discussion but my point was commenting on why AV processors these days generate a fair amount of heat, usually because their video processing capability is better than televisions or have to do more than DVD players (would be interesting though to know how warm the players with good processors get).

Regarding 480i sources, how do most of you deal with those on your HD screens?
                                                        I have no answer but curious if there is a general consensus on how to do this.

Cheers and hope everyone had a good weekend
                                                        Orb

Comment

• Gump
                                                          • Sep 2005

My View

Ok folks, here's my initial thoughts on the new toy. This is only MY opinion and viewer discretion is advised!

The primary reason I became interested in Classe products was for their sound quality. That's where the rubber meets the road for me. If I was primarily interested in all the techno gizmo bells and whistles I'd be perusing other web sites/forums that emphasis those features.

In regard to my new SSP-800's sound quality I am ecstatic. Right out of the box it has exceeded all my expectations and has made a dramatic improvement in my system. Forget about that break-in stuff! I really liked my McIntosh MX-135 pre/pro (original MSRP $9,000) and thought it had a warm enveloping sound. If the MX-135 was a river I would compare it to the Mississippi---strong and wide, but a bit muddy. In comparison the SSP-800 is a clear, clean mountain stream or maybe even like the clear bluish-green ocean water that surrounds an island in the tropics=====alright, maybe I'm getting a little carried away now. ops:

I've had a couple of defining moments in this hobby (one was upgrading my speakers from the 600 series to the 803D's) and now this has become another one of them. The sound of the SSP-800 is clear, clean, pristine and natural; but also very rich and elegant at the same time. 2-channel, SACD & DVD-Audio multi-channel left me mezmerized with the sound quality. You want dynamics and detail? You got it! But also with a sophisticated quality.

I'm really not sure why SOME other owners seem to have had a somewhat less exuberant experience. Perhaps the equipment that they replaced was of a higher quality than mine and therefore the improvement was more marginal.

At any rate, the end result is that I couldn't be happier which makes me, well, HAPPY!

Fit and Finish was superb and unpacking it from the box left me with the same feeling as when you walk around a fine sports car...you can just sense the high performance. Setting up the processor was initially a bit challenging for me and I think the mischievous little bugger could sense my technological ineptitude because for the first several hours I could only get video but no sound out of the speakers. Eventually, I shut off the main power switch on the back of the processor and started over again assigning the inputs and configurations and this time got the results I was after.

A little side note about HDMI which I'm not overly fond of: At first I had everything including my TV cable hooked up via the SSP-800 with HDMI cables. I discovered that everytime I changed a channel or pushed a button on the cable remote the TV screen would go completely black and flash a few times and then get snowy and after a few seconds go to the channel I selected. Obviously, while channel surfing, this got old fast. So, I disconnected the HDMI cable from the processor and just ran the cable directly from the cable box to the Pio plasma. I then ran an optical cable from the cable box to the SSP-800. This solved the video problem and also allows us to watch the TV and just use the Pioneers speakers for everyday viewing. If we do watch something from the cable box (HBO, movies,etc) that we want better quality sound with, we can just utilize the optical digital cable. This made me and, more importantly, everyone else in the house happy.

I went ahead and hooked up the Oppo 981 and the PS3 through the SSP-800 via HDMI as recommended in the Classe manual. No problems there.

One issue I am still exploring is the use of the DC Trigger to turn on and off my McIntosh MC-205 amp. Right now, for some reason, it won't work.

So, there you have it. Hopefully, that wasn't too boring for you. From a sound quality aspect I cannot recommend the SSP-800 any higher. Congratulations to the good people at Classe for making such a superb audio component. If your looking for something with better sound quality than this processor I wish you luck. :lol:

Let me know if you have any questions!

Neil

I can FINALLY say good by to this guy! :ball:

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2003

nice review. not sure I get whats going on with cable when hooked up to the ssp. I watch mine through and it is just fine...

Comment

• beden1
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2006

Neil,

Great Review! :T Finally, someone gives a glowing review of the SSP-800 without any warm up warnings. Now, I'm excited about my audition tomorrow, as before, I was kind of expecting to be disappointed.

On the HDMI issue, you should really only see any of the handshake symptoms you're listing when switching from watching TV to the DVD for example (not when changing cable channels). I had an issue at one point where the picture would freeze while watching cable TV (on my receiver with HDMI). I ordered a new HDMI cable that was compatible with HDMI 1.3, and for whatever reason, the issue went away. You may want to try switching your HDMI cable. The other thing to check is to make sure the HDMI cable is firmly connected at the TV. I had to use a twister tie on my Sony TV to keep the cable snug.

Enjoy your new toy, you deserve it!

Comment

• wettou
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • May 2006

Neil Thanks for sharing your opinion, weird issues with HDMi? I don't get it it should be transparent!

For your SACDs are you using HDMi or analog?

Comment

• garak
                                                                  • Jul 2007

Neil,

Thanks for the review.

As far as your cable issues, when you were switching channels, were you switching between HD and SD channels?

I used to have a motorola cable box, and every time I switched between channels that had different resolutions (480p, 1080i, etc.), I had the same issues. The TV would go black, then snow, and then the channel would show up (and this is when I had my Rotel 1069). So I think the issue is the motorola box and the fact that it must go through an HDMI handshake every time the resolution changes. Needless to say, that was quite annoying.

Fortunately for me, DirecTV added Tucson's locals in HD, so I was able to dump the cable box.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Thanks for the great review, Neil. :T

Glad that you're happy with the unit. It seems as if Classe have delivered on something that they're mighty good at ... sound quality. That (imho), is what it's all about.

Wishing you many hours of pure sonic (& video too) enjoyment.

Comment

• Hberg
                                                                      • Apr 2008

Niel

Although your evaluation was much more detailed and colorful than my initial evaluation of the SSP-800, I had a very similar experience. I was able to start building my dream system, and the difference is awesome. However, I did not have the same HDMI issue.

Now get ready ... As the SSP-800 goes through the growing stage (break-in period) you will become even more impressed. Every time I listen to the music now I can only smile.
                                                                      "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• Gump
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2005

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I hadn't meant to be quite that
                                                                        chatty in the review but my excitement got the better of me. Once I got started it just kept rolling.

As far as the HDMI issue goes, the cable is definitely a suspect. I have Cox Cable High Definition with the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD box. When it was directly connected to the SSP-800 it seemed to "handshake" with the processor everytime a command was done with the Cox remote. This included changing channels, bringing up the channel guide, operating recorded shows on the DVR----everything and anything. Each time a button was pushed on the cable remote the TV's screen would immediately go black and the picture would disappear. It would flash a couple of times, go to snow, and sometimes even freeze for a moment or two. The whole process would take 3 or 4 seconds.

I did check all the connections to ensure they were completely inserted. I didn't have an extra cable to replace the cable or exchange it to see if that helped.

I doubt if I'll even pursue it for now due to being satisfied with the current set-up directly between the TV and cable box. This is also easier for my wife who's not even comfortable turning on the stereo system. 8O

If I do get a different cable and try to hook it up through the processor again it would be only to ensure that there is nothing faulty with the SSP-800---which I don't believe is the case.

Thanks again.

Neil

Comment

• Gump
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                          Neil Thanks for sharing your opinion, weird issues with HDMi? I don't get it it should be transparent!

For your SACDs are you using HDMi or analog?

wettou,

I am using the HDMI cabling with the Oppo 981. Sounds excellent!

I threw in Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" with the intention of just testing it for a minute to make sure I had the SSP-800 set up correctly to receive the SACD format. I ended up not being able to turn it off and listened to the whole CD! Ha!

Still targeting that Sony ES though.... :T

Comment

• beden1
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2006
                                                                            • 1676

Well, I spent over 3 hours at the Classe dealer today to demo the SSP-800 for the first time, as well as to compare the 803Ds to the 802Ds once again.

I really like their Sales Rep at this prominent high line 90%+ audio store. He's about 50, and along with selling audio gear, he's an active musician in a band and has been involved with live bands and orchestras since grade school. He also likes a lot of the same music as me. He was very helpful, and is extremely knowledgable regarding how music should sound, and with the nuances of audio equipment and systems.

On a side note, this store has more audio equipment then I have seen in one place for many years. They have about 10+ rooms full of all kinds of great gear. What a candy store for an audiohaulic. :T

Their demo setup included a Classe CDP-202, CAM-400s, the SSP-800, and God only knows what speaker cables they use that were the diameter of copper pipes. I'm sure the interconnects were also top shelf.

The CD I brought is Brian Wilson's "That Lucky Old Sun". IMO, his voice is tailor made for comparing the mid range frequencies. His music also uses a full orchestra and an expanded percussion section that gives a good workout throughout the scales. Overall, I think this is a great CD to demo new components and speakers. One of the guys there is a big Brian Wilson fan who came in to listen with me for part of the time. I donated the CD to the store as he looked like a sad puppy when I was about to leave with it in the end.

We first discussed the differences in my system versus what we were going to listen to during the demo. He really likes my CAM-350's, and felt they were bolder in the bass ranges versus the CAM-400s. He felt the CAM-400's would tend to be a bit sweeter in the highs. The CD players were probably going to be on par. My room has a live performance sound, versus their room that has a flat response to the point of maybe being a bit too controlled. The 803Ds are what we used first, as this is what I have in my system for the mains. The SSP-800 had been running straight through for about 9 days of break-in.

I also said that I was hoping the SSP-800 sounded at least as good in stereo as does my CP-500. I said that my impression (from reading other's opinions on this forum), was that the CP-500 was probably equal to the stereo on the SSP-300 or SSP-600. He said that in their opinion, the CP-500 sounds better than the stereo output of the SSP-600. To play stereo in their demo room, they use the CP-500 since it sounds noticeably better. I then asked how he would compare the CP-500 to the CP-700, and he said it was just a matter of varying degrees, and not by any real noticeable difference during a demo. It would take some trained listening to notice any differences between the 2 units during an extended listening session. He felt that so far at least, that the SSP-800 sounds as good as the CP-500, but that break-in time may alter his opinion down the road. Typically, he feels that dedicated components usually shine over multi use components. He felt the major benefit of the SSP-800 was that one could get the same level of sound as say the CP-500, through all channels.

Before I start, they received four units 10 days ago, and the other three were sold to customers. They have not been able to get audio through the HDMI cable, but have been able to get video (with the same flashing as has been described by others). He said Classe is aware of this and supposedly will have a patch ready to correct this issue in the near future.

I listened to the CD from start to finish, and stopping at intervals to discuss my impressions. My initial impression was that the SSP-800 sounded flatter than my system. I adjusted my thinking to start focusing on the voice and instrumentation, and this helped to compensate for the influence of the room acoustics. By about the third song, I was engulfed by the signature Classe sound. At this point, we stopped the CD to talk, as I wanted to clear my head in order to gain a fresh impression once we started the CD again.

We started the CD, and I was again quickly engulfed by the signature Classe sound. If I could put my finger on what I was hearing, I would say that the focal point of the sound was more towards the rear of the speakers, as in my system, the sound is more to the front stage of the speakers (the speakers were placed the same distance from our listening position as are the speakers in my room). But, also at this point, I noticed that the sound did not have as much clarity as I was yearning.

I decided to turn up the volume to about a third more than before. The SSP-800 and the 803Ds liked the higher volume. The clarity was now there, and the instruments and voice were now well defined. It may have been that the break-in stage of the SSP-800 was not at the point of reaching it's optimum performance, and the turning up the volume served as compensation. It was now very exciting to listen to, and at this point, I said it's a keeper.

One other impression that I had, was that the SSP-800 produced a classic Classe sound. I did not hear what some have mentioned, any forward or bright character whatsoever. The difference may be with those who went from the SSP-300 or SSP-600 to the SSP-800, and not from a CP-500 or CP-700?

Overall, I would say that the SSP-800 will sound as good as my CP-500, and if it ends up sounding better, then I got a bonus. The store ordered 7 more units for their holiday sales period, and I bought the last one they will receive, in time for when I return to Florida. At that time, I'm hoping they have corrected some of the current operating issues.

The 803Ds versus the 802Ds.

I was very pleased by the performance of the 803Ds. They were well defined throughout the ranges, and in particular, I was impressed with the lower bass output in their flat room.

For the first time, I also loved the 802Ds. This awakening that I had for these speakers may have been realized because I was now listening to them with a CD player, as opposed to a music server.

I also listened to the entire CD through the 802Ds as I had through the 803Ds. Their sounds are both characteristic B&W. The addictive detail, engulfing yet focused sound stage, full body and sweet highs. My basic impression remains in that the 803Ds are best suited for Rock N' Roll, and the 802Ds are best suited for jazz and orchestra music.

The 803Ds seem to be not as silky smooth in the mid ranges as are the 802Ds. The 802Ds are more polite versus the 803Ds that have a bit more raw character. I sensed the 802Ds have a fuller body of sound, but this is not to say the 803Ds are lacking in this area. I actually liked to hear Brian Wilson's aged raspy like male voice through the mid range of the 803Ds over the 802Ds. But, we picked up that the 802Ds accentuated more detail with the background sounds of instruments like the wood blocks and some other esoteric percussion instruments. There was not much in the way of female voices in this CD, but I would imagine the 802Ds may shine in this area as well. The lower bass output of the 803Ds seemed to have more punch, but the 802Ds seemed to fill out the lower and mid bass a bit fuller overall.

I think they are both very good speakers. The Sales Rep feels the 803Ds are the sweet spot in the B&W line-up. We both love the 800Ds. He also said the Signature Diamonds are possibly their best sounding speaker, and only lack the full bass of the 800Ds by any comparison. He felt they were absolutely the best in the mids and highs. I found this interesting, but not enough to want to spend more time listening to them. From what he said, it would be difficult to match the Signature Diamonds with a center channel speaker for HT, and that they are best suited for a discriminating stereo set-up in a smaller listening room.

At any rate, my listening experience was extremely enlightening and enjoyable. I am looking forward to adding the SSP-800 to my system, and if anyone hears me out there in cyberspace, please offer me a great deal so I can also add a pair of 802Ds!

All I can say is that ShadowZA must be really enjoying his great system. ;x(

Comment

• garak
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2007
                                                                              • 310

#39
                                                                              Great write up beden. However, as we've all found out, this place can be bad news for the pocket book. We all seem to feed each other's upgraditis.

Particularly:
                                                                              802Ds are best suited for jazz and orchestra music.
                                                                              That's probably the last thing I needed to hear.

if anyone hears me out there in cyberspace, please offer me a great deal so I can also add a pair of 802Ds!
                                                                              Maybe if we each order a pair, we can get a deal. :W

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2003
                                                                                • 2299

#40
                                                                                I decided to turn up the volume to about a third more than before. The SSP-800 and the 803Ds liked the higher volume. The clarity was now there, and the instruments and voice were now well defined. It may have been that the break-in stage of the SSP-800 was not at the point of reaching it's optimum performance, and the turning up the volume served as compensation. It was now very exciting to listen to, and at this point, I said it's a keeper.

I completely agree with this.

Comment

• style
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2006
                                                                                  • 1562

#41
                                                                                  Hallo,

We can say that the SSP800 in stereo is at the samelevel from the CP700?

If no I think that is better s the CP500 and can be a little below the CP700.

Opinion?

thanks Omar

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 2299

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by style
                                                                                    Hallo,

We can say that the SSP800 in stereo is at the samelevel from the CP700?

If no I think that is better s the CP500 and can be a little below the CP700.

Opinion?

thanks Omar
                                                                                    Thats just it, and why I didn't comment, or refute, Bedens comments about the SSP-800. It will be subject to someones opinion. I don't care if someone has heard the the most expensive pre available, it will still be subject to someones opinion. So, if what Bedens dealer feels about those products is as he states, then who are we to judge?

An informed opinion that has been shared with me is that the CP-500 and the SSP-600 are indistinguishable. Another informed opinion from the same person who could compare the CP-700 to the SSP-800 feels that they are different, and one isn't necessarily better than the other. That it will come down to personal tastes. The Delta preamps are more warm and possibly tube-like in nature, whereas the SSP-800 is very transparent.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Oct 2006
                                                                                      • 1676

#43
                                                                                      The Delta preamps are more warm and possibly tube-like in nature, whereas the SSP-800 is very transparent.
                                                                                      The transparency quotient over the CP-500 may in fact be within the SSP-800, although it was not readily apparent during my listening session. This is not to say, that you can't personally find the transparency different in the SSP-800 versus the CP-500. I found the sounds very similar overall as my session progressed.

I will say that with my own room's acoustics, transparency is readily apparent when listening to my CP-500. It was no doubt harder to determine the degree of openness or transparency in the dealer's listening room, just by the nature of their flat acoustics. There is very little life to lift the music in their room.

This may also explain why he does not find an immediate difference in sound between the CP-500 and the CP-700 in their room, and why it would take time to hear any differences. This would not explain why they find the CP-500 sounds better than the SSP-600 for stereo, however?

In any setting, I think you really have to put some time in to gain full appreciation at this level of quality, with only relatively small degrees of differences during any given listening session.

I think that is why this hobby is so addictive, and causes one to keep aspiring to reach the next level. It is during any given listening sesion when one is surprised by hearing something spectacular that may have been missed before. And, if this is happening with what I have now, then what am I missing by not having .................................................. ...?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2003
                                                                                        • 2299

#44
                                                                                        The transparency quotient over the CP-500 may in fact be within the SSP-800, although it was not readily apparent during my listening session. This is not to say, that you can't personally find the transparency different in the SSP-800 versus the CP-500. I found the sounds very similar overall as my session progressed.

I will say that with my own room's acoustics, transparency is readily apparent when listening to my CP-500. It was no doubt harder to determine the degree of openness or transparency in the dealer's listening room, just by the nature of their flat acoustics. There is very little life to lift the music in their room.
                                                                                        Was the CDP hooked up as a player (xlr in bypass) or as a transport? That would be telling in what you were getting, whether you were listening to the SSP-800 or the CDP-202.

This may also explain why he does not find an immediate difference in sound between the CP-500 and the CP-700 in their room, and why it would take time to hear any differences. This would not explain why they find the CP-500 sounds better than the SSP-600 for stereo, however?
                                                                                        In casual listening it might be difficult to determine. Do you think Classe would sell many CP-700's though if there wasn't a difference? As far as between the CP-500 and SSP-600 (as well as in the previous case) there are too many unknowns on their listening. How much could be placebo? How did they compare? etc. There are benefits to the CP-500 over the SSP-600 (phono preamp, more inputs). So, the information you have provided doesn't give enough information to how they came to that conclusion. Not really important to me though, so I wouldn't look into it. Not really relevant for you either, cause your more interested in CP-500 vs SSP-800.

In any setting, I think you really have to put some time in to gain full appreciation at this level of quality, with only relatively small degrees of differences during any given listening session.
                                                                                        agreed.

I think that is why this hobby is so addictive, and causes one to keep aspiring to reach the next level. It is during any given listening sesion when one is surprised by hearing something spectacular that may have been missed before. And, if this is happening with what I have now, then what am I missing by not having .................................................. ...?
                                                                                        you know, that is my biggest problem. I look at my system and it is 100x bigger than anything anyone I know has (outside of these boards). I should be stupidly overwhelmed with it. But I look at it and say... "not diamonds" or "its only 720p" or "id really like a stewart screen" or "if I could only get 800d's and an htm1d, then I'd be done!". Does it really ever end? I want to know what its like to be there...

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                                          • 1676

#45
                                                                                          Was the CDP hooked up as a player (xlr in bypass) or as a transport? That would be telling in what you were getting, whether you were listening to the SSP-800 or the CDP-202.

I asked for the CD player to be connected so we could listen to the SSP-800. I asked this after you had mentioned this in a previous post.

In casual listening it might be difficult to determine. Do you think Classe would sell many CP-700's though if there wasn't a difference? As far as between the CP-500 and SSP-600 (as well as in the previous case) there are too many unknowns on their listening. How much could be placebo? How did they compare? etc. There are benefits to the CP-500 over the SSP-600 (phono preamp, more inputs). So, the information you have provided doesn't give enough information to how they came to that conclusion. Not really important to me though, so I wouldn't look into it. Not really relevant for you either, cause your more interested in CP-500 vs SSP-800.

I don't know how many CP-700s they sell versus the CP-500? I was kind of surprised that they find subtle differences between the CP-500 and the CP-700. I had been told by another dealer that the CP-700 was much better. But, sometimes people want to sell you something just because it costs more. I would think this dealer has more experience than you or I on the subject, so I'm not going to question his response. I actually thought it was kind of refreshing to get a response that something may not be totally worth the extra money.

Again, I would say they supported the statement that they find the CP-500 sounds better for stereo than does the SSP-600, as they only use the CP-500 to demo stereo with the 800 Diamond Series speakers. If they found the opposite to be true, then they would use the SSP-600. They also had this available in their system rack.

The only reference that I was working from was to compare my CP-500 to the SSP-800. That would seem to be the most logical, and the only possible frame of reference for me. If I found the SSP-800 did not sound as good as my CP-500, then I was going to go with another pre-pro and use the CP-500 in by-pass for HT.

you know, that is my biggest problem. I look at my system and it is 100x bigger than anything anyone I know has (outside of these boards). I should be stupidly overwhelmed with it. But I look at it and say... "not diamonds" or "its only 720p" or "id really like a stewart screen" or "if I could only get 800d's and an htm1d, then I'd be done!". Does it really ever end? I want to know what its like to be there...
                                                                                          Yes, I definitely think we should spend more time listening and watching, than thinking about our next toy. Your system setup and room looks terrific from your pictures, and I'm sure it also performs extremely well :T

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"