X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
    I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Do you have problems changing channels all of the time? even HD to HD?

Yes, the first thing I do when I setup my SSP is disable all things OSD. I find them annoying. I'm not in front of my SSP right now, so I can't tell you how to do it, but I believe under "System Setup" there is an OSD menu where you can enable/disable this functionality. I'll look for it tonight and update the tips thread.
    Yes, changing HD stations to HD stations, or, HD stations to regular signal stations...it's all the same.

I'll try to go into setup and disable the banner, and see if anything improves. Thanks.

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Do you have problems changing channels all of the time? even HD to HD?

Yes, the first thing I do when I setup my SSP is disable all things OSD. I find them annoying. I'm not in front of my SSP right now, so I can't tell you how to do it, but I believe under "System Setup" there is an OSD menu where you can enable/disable this functionality. I'll look for it tonight and update the tips thread.
      It's under the "Dispaly Setup". There is an OSD selection there where you can turn it off or set time out settings.

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beden1
        Yes, changing HD stations to HD stations, or, HD stations to regular signal stations...it's all the same.

I'll try to go into setup and disable the banner, and see if anything improves. Thanks.
        The other thing is to go into your cable box setup and lock in the High Def signal. That should help as well (720P or 1080i). I think to do my Moto, I have to turn it off and hit menu or options...
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Hello RebelMan

How's that review coming can we expect it soon? I heard many magazines are waiting for Classé to upgrade the DSP chip and have all the new codecs ops:

Makes sense why do it now it might be at a disadvantage vs the Denon
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
            Hello RebelMan

How's that review coming can we expect it soon? I heard many magazines are waiting for Classé to upgrade the DSP chip and have all the new codecs ops:

Makes sense why do it now it might be at a disadvantage vs the Denon
            Troll? :scratchhead:

Comment

• ryst
              • May 2007

Updated my 800 with the new software 1.0.2 and it solved all my issues with loss of sound. So now I can play on my 360 without all the annoying sound drop outs. To bad to see the problem with the HD-PVR though, haven't bought one yet so I'm "happily" unaware of that problem. Hope Classé will solve that quickly.

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

The other thing is to go into your cable box setup and lock in the High Def signal. That should help as well (720P or 1080i). I think to do my Moto, I have to turn it off and hit menu or options...
                I turned off the banner in the OSD and the TV works better. Still is a delay when switching channels in HD to HD, but, no delay when switching SD to SD.

The delay with the HD is less than before.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• RalphoR
                  • Feb 2009

Hey SSP-800 owners. In less than ten days I'll be one, too! I have to thank you all as over the past year or so as I have used this site as a reference in going the separates route. I've been a huge Pioneer Elite guy and decided to move up a step or two.

I have a Pioneer Elite 49TX as the brains of my current home theater but I have a CA-5100 and a CA-3200 as the brawn. Those amps feed a pair of B&W 802Ds and a HTM2D center. I have a Denon BDCi-3800 as my blu-ray machine and my projector is a Yamaha DPX-1100. The rest of my home theater will be upgraded over the next few years.

I may not post very often because I just don't have the techno knowledge you guys do but one passion I think we all share is our love for excellent audio and video. Thanks again for your assistance and I look forward to chatting with you more when the 800 arrives. Enjoy your toys!

Ralph

Comment

• Gump
                    • Sep 2005

Congratulations Ralph!

That's an outstanding system you're putting together! Have fun... :T

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by RalphoR
                      Hey SSP-800 owners. In less than ten days I'll be one, too!
                      Congratulations

I may not post very often because I just don't have the techno knowledge you guys do but one passion I think we all share is our love for excellent audio and video.
                      Please most of the people on this thread have no techical knowledge just passion for gear so you should not feel intimidated even by the bullies....

By the way the true passion is for music rather than gear but here it seems gear comes first then music... Inflammation:B
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• garak
                        • Jul 2007

By the way the true passion is for music rather than gear but here it seems gear comes first then music... Inflammation:B
                        Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, mr. I will whine, moan and b!tch about the SSP-800 not being able to decode TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, even though I know that if I have a blu-ray player that decodes those, the sound will be exactly the same.

Seems like you are complaining about the gear even though it has no impact on the music. And you've been doing it the most.

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

I have been playing my SSP-800 everyday, all day for seven weeks now. Just wanted to report that I have noticed the vibrato in the bass is now effortless. The detail is really spectacular. I know there has been doubt about whether the break-in period mattered at all for the sound quality. I certainly doubted the validity, but, there it is. This week everything seems to be opening up and coming together, and, better than I could have initially imagined.

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

The other thing I forgot to mention about my SSP-800 experience so far, is how good my iPod Classic sounds using RCA stereo inputs. I've been listening to the iPod that has about 1,500 of my all-time favorite songs for background music during the day. A number of people have mentioned how great my stereo sounds, and they were surprised when I said it was my iPod playing.

Last night, I played a bit going back and forth between the iPod and the CD player. During critical listening, I can hear the difference, but it's much less of a difference than I would have thought was possible.

Most of the songs were recorded to the iPod using my CDs, but even the down loaded lossy and lossless ones sound very good by comparison. I have the Rock setting on my iPod, and am using a CD-Digital in-put I set up on the SSP-800 that enables the sub woofers.

Comment

• RalphoR
                              • Feb 2009

I've had the SSP-800 now for about five days and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to give a shout out to Sikoniko for the nice thread for those of us who just bought one to avoid set up pitfalls.

I had a few questions if you guys don't mind answering:

1) I have firmware version 1.0.1 build 38 so I need to update it to the new 1.0.2.....is there a link on how to do this anywhere? I know I need an rs-232 cable but I don't know what to do after that. Also, do I need to write down all my settings prior to updating the firmware because it will go back to defaults?

2) I have a dvd player connected via component for video and digital coax for audio. I'm not getting 16:9 on my projector when I send the video via component to the projector. I do get 16:9 via hdmi (I just like to look of standard dvd through component vs. hdmi). How do I get the SSP-800 to show the 16:9 video? I'm sure it's a mistake I made in the set up but I don't know how to fix it (I know my dvd player is set up correctly).

3) This one may not be a problem. When I watch a dts sound track from a dvd it says dolby digital on the front panel. I set my 'preferred audio' for the dvd player input as dolby digital ex. When the sound first engages it does say 'dts' on the front panel and screen so I think I am getting the dts sound but it doesn't display it on the touch screen.

4) Switching from cable channel to cable channel (I have AT&T U-verse w/HD package), whenever there's a change in the audio from one channel to the next the speakers go mute for a few seconds and then starts to play. Is there a way to avoid this?

5) Last (for now :-))...this one is annoying. Whenever I watch a cable channel that is 5.1 surround, whenever it goes to a commercial that's broadcast in 2.0 surround I get a message on screen telling me that it's 2.0 surround. When the hi-def broadcast comes back on it tells me it's back to 3/2.1. Ugggh...is there anyway to get rid of this?

Thanks for any help in these matters. I don't want anyone to think the SSP-800 is not living up to it's potential for me. Far from the truth! I love what it has done for my home theater. If I was to type in all the benefits I'd be here all month typing away :-)

Ralph

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

I've had the SSP-800 now for about five days and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to give a shout out to Sikoniko for the nice thread for those of us who just bought one to avoid set up pitfalls.

I had a few questions if you guys don't mind answering:

1) I have firmware version 1.0.1 build 38 so I need to update it to the new 1.0.2.....is there a link on how to do this anywhere? I know I need an rs-232 cable but I don't know what to do after that. Also, do I need to write down all my settings prior to updating the firmware because it will go back to defaults?

2) I have a dvd player connected via component for video and digital coax for audio. I'm not getting 16:9 on my projector when I send the video via component to the projector. I do get 16:9 via hdmi (I just like to look of standard dvd through component vs. hdmi). How do I get the SSP-800 to show the 16:9 video? I'm sure it's a mistake I made in the set up but I don't know how to fix it (I know my dvd player is set up correctly).

3) This one may not be a problem. When I watch a dts sound track from a dvd it says dolby digital on the front panel. I set my 'preferred audio' for the dvd player input as dolby digital ex. When the sound first engages it does say 'dts' on the front panel and screen so I think I am getting the dts sound but it doesn't display it on the touch screen.

4) Switching from cable channel to cable channel (I have AT&T U-verse w/HD package), whenever there's a change in the audio from one channel to the next the speakers go mute for a few seconds and then starts to play. Is there a way to avoid this?

5) Last (for now :-))...this one is annoying. Whenever I watch a cable channel that is 5.1 surround, whenever it goes to a commercial that's broadcast in 2.0 surround I get a message on screen telling me that it's 2.0 surround. When the hi-def broadcast comes back on it tells me it's back to 3/2.1. Ugggh...is there anyway to get rid of this?

Thanks for any help in these matters. I don't want anyone to think the SSP-800 is not living up to it's potential for me. Far from the truth! I love what it has done for my home theater. If I was to type in all the benefits I'd be here all month typing away :-)

Ralph
                                1. Follow the update procedure on this page.

2. The SSP is purely pass-through. It will display exactly what is being displayed. Check your other settings.

3. This one is tough to explain. If you click the "Mode" button, it will tell you what Processing Mode is actually happening. The front screen kinda tells you what signal the SSP is receiving.

4. This doesn't happen to me. I wonder if the cable box is re-synching. How is it connected? It is important to lock the display resolution in on the cable box. Set it to 720p or 1080i. May need to be reported to Classe; however, if they don't have u-verse would be impossible for them to duplicate and resolve.

5. Did you set your "Fav Processing Mode" for 2 channel? It is important to set both modes on the input. Refer to answer 3. That will dictate how the signal is processed by the SSP. I recommend turning off the OSD. I find it annoying.

Welcome to the club!

Comment

• Gump
                                  • Sep 2005

Congratulations and welcome to the "club" RalphoR.

Regarding your question about downloading the 1.0.2 firmware...
                                  Actually, you do NOT need an RS-232 cable to do the download. You can connect your computer directly to the back of your SSP-800 with a standard USB cable.

After you go to the Classe site and get to the Operating Software page you need to click on the SSP-800 file. Once there, click on the section titled, "PRO-SFT Software Update Procedure for Classe Delta Products". This will open up a page that gives you extremely detailed, step by step directions on how to update the new firmware in your SSP-800. I know it's very easy cause I did it, Ha!

After the update all your settings should still be intact. Good luck!

Comment

• RalphoR
                                    • Feb 2009

Thanks!

Thanks to Sikoniko and Gump for the welcome and the answers to my questions! I've found out that the SSP-800 is a complex piece but it's been worth it so far. True, it doesn't have the bells and whistles that others have said makes a difference to them but for me it does what I need and that is giving out great audio and is a complete brain to my home theater.

I haven't done the firmware upgrade yet but I plan to, soon. Thanks, again, for the assistance and I'm sure we'll be chatting sometime soon...

Ralph

Comment

• SwainDtV
                                      • Sep 2008

RalphoR,

Regarding your screen message when changing audio type is an event. I'm at work so I can not give you an exact answer. However in your system setup there is an option for setting events that trigger screen messages. One of them is signal change. I believe I have disabled all events in my setup.

Ab

Comment

• ryst
                                        • May 2007

So it's more or less mid march. Any breaking news about the codec card for the ssp-800?

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by ryst
                                          Any breaking news about the codec card for the ssp-800?
                                          SPRING 2009 according to Classé which means between March 21, 2009 and June, 20 2009

Patience I hope sooner than later but I think it won't happen before CEDIA 2009 in September but that's just me :B

By then everybody will have the upgraded version of Audyssey, Dolby IIz and a bunch of other features but we will have pure sound :rofl:

Why not bypass the pre/pro and use the source to go straight to amplified speakers !!

GENELEC OR LINN anyone

Comment

• sikoniko
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2003

SPRING 2009 according to Classé which means between March 21, 2009 and June, 20 2009

Patience I hope sooner than later but I think it won't happen before CEDIA 2009 in September but that's just me :B

By then everybody will have the upgraded version of Audyssey, Dolby IIz and a bunch of other features but we will have pure sound :rofl:

Why not bypass the pre/pro and use the source to go straight to amplified speakers !!

GENELEC OR LINN anyone
                                            is it already almost spring? my how quickly this year is passing already...

btw, I've already heard PL IIz.. its kinda gimmicky, but there is no reason that Classe couldn't allow an end user to define the 2 Aux channels for the satellite fronts in the future.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                              • May 2008

I had to laugh & think of wettou when reading this post in another Forum dedicated to the Denon A1...nothing against it or Audessy, but the constant barrage on herw from wettou on how catastrophically Classe missed it by not including Audessy made me laugh when I saw this :
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by tassop
                                              I would now also suspect the analog input, particularly because analog 'direct' sounds different from digital 'direct'. The stereo image should sound the same.

You mentioned the sound being centred, do you get a good stereo coverage from analog/direct with other CD's ? The reason I ask is that mono signals will sound like everything is coming from the centre.

Now doing some further elimination to shed light on the matter, starting with the XLR connectors; do you have the XLR input polarity set to "INV", which I think is the correct polarity for Marantz? Also, are there any audio enhancements that are switchable on the CD player? If so, they should all be switched off.

If after all this the problem persists, it may be useful to take the CD player in for service to have it checked.

I've been able to track down and solve my issue.
                                              After checking everything countless times, i've looked into the speaker distance and found that L speaker was set at 4 meters and R speaker at 3. They're almost the same: i've measured manually and set the right distance for R speaker (left was ok).
                                              The stereo image turned suddenly ok.
                                              It seems i've trusted too faithfully Audissey measurements ...
                                              Thanks everyone for your precious help and support,

Luigi
                                              Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2006

And do you think that people who have some trouble with Audyssey would even attempt any room correction with the Classe EQ?

I am not making a case for either one but your gloating here is as obviously biased as wettou's postings.

Kal
                                                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                  • May 2008

I wasn't gloating, nothing is perfect...that is my point! :^x
                                                  Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                                                    I wasn't gloating, nothing is perfect...that is my point! :^x
                                                    OK. Nothing is perfect, thank goodness.

Kal
                                                    Kal Rubinson
                                                    _______________________________
                                                    "Music in the Round"
                                                    Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                    http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                                      And do you think that people who have some trouble with Audyssey would even attempt any room correction with the Classe EQ?

I am not making a case for either one but your gloating here is as obviously biased as wettou's postings.

Kal
                                                      My posting is not biased I am just saying that it would have been nice for Classé to include Audyssey Multy EQ XT or other. I just have problems with hardcore fanatics :rofl:

I had the pleasure to listen to Meridian and they have a very nice Auto EQ:B

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2007

My posting is not biased I am just saying that it would have been nice for Classé to include Audyssey Multy EQ XT or other. I just have problems with hardcore fanatics :rofl:
                                                        You are saying that you are not a hardcore fanatic? A large percentage of your posts are about auto room correction. It seems like that is all you talk about (all the while complaining that Classe doesn't do it). Pot, meet kettle.

Eric

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                                          You are saying that you are not a hardcore fanatic? A large percentage of your posts are about auto room correction. It seems like that is all you talk about (all the while complaining that Classe doesn't do it). Pot, meet kettle.

Eric
                                                          Right. We are all hardcore fanatics here. :T
                                                          Kal Rubinson
                                                          _______________________________
                                                          "Music in the Round"
                                                          Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                          http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• wettou
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • May 2006

Of course we are lunatics too :B

By the way I say that the first thing you can do is treat your room , then use room correction and yes it would be nice if Classé had automatic room correction. :roll:

They had THX Ultra 2 and Automatic room correction in the 600 why not in the 800 It's more expensive and does less :lol:

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2007

The SSP-600 did not have room correction. All it did was level and distance automatically. A tape measure and an SPL meter work just fine for that.

The SSP-600 didn't have a five band EQ for each channel, the DACs were not as good as the SSP-800, the preamp section was not as good as the SSP-800, and it didn't have HDMI so the SSP-800 does more for more money.

By the way, why would you need THX Ultra 2?

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2003

and whats wrong with that? 8)

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Aug 2003

Of course we are lunatics too :B

By the way I say that the first thing you can do is treat your room , then use room correction and yes it would be nice if Classé had automatic room correction. :roll:

They had THX Ultra 2 and Automatic room correction in the 600 why not in the 800 It's more expensive and does less :lol:
                                                                  wettou,

there is a difference between whining and justifiably making a case for something.

Perhaps if you didn't jump at every new wiz-bang feature and complain about it not being implemented in the SSP-800, but made justifiable cases why you believe Classe should implement them, you'd go a lot further in your discussion points.

When I go to my leadership for money, I have to make a business case for approval to get something to go before our board. If I say I want it because its new they look at me like I am unwisely spending the companies money on toys and I loose credibility. The same goes for here.

I'm not asking you to build an ROI or anything, but a couple suggestions might be to state why you feel classe should add something, how it adds value to the existing platform and not complain about it not being there every chance you get. Believe me, a lot of eyes see your posts, and we might be taken a bit more seriously if you phrased things a bit differently.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2006

wettou,

there is a difference between whining and justifiably making a case for something.

Perhaps if you didn't jump at every new wiz-bang feature and complain about it not being implemented in the SSP-800, but made justifiable cases why you believe Classe should implement them, you'd go a lot further in your discussion points.

When I go to my leadership for money, I have to make a business case for approval to get something to go before our board. If I say I want it because its new they look at me like I am unwisely spending the companies money on toys and I loose credibility. The same goes for here.

I'm not asking you to build an ROI or anything, but a couple suggestions might be to state why you feel classe should add something, how it adds value to the existing platform and not complain about it not being there every chance you get. Believe me, a lot of eyes see your posts, and we might be taken a bit more seriously if you phrased things a bit differently.
                                                                    I agree with this! :T

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

wettou, there is a difference between whining and justifiably making a case for something.

Very eloquent, thank you for being constructive, I am just stating opinions, I don't think that Classé cares about what we say on any of these sites. They have their own strategy and do what they want as long as B&W agrees.

Some companies take customer suggestions very well and incorporate them in their products others don't.

Take Oppo Digital and their BDP-83 they originaly where not planing to include DVD Audio no they do.

Anyway to each his own :B

Comment

• wettou
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2006

and whats wrong with that? 8)
                                                                        Yadiya diya :B

Comment

• RalphoR
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2009

I've really got the SSP-800 humming and am enjoying the sound. I'm nowhere near the 300 hour break-in period but it sounds pretty darn good to me, right now.

I did have a couple of simple questions, though:

1) I've never owned a high end piece like this so forgive me when I ask: Does the SSP-800 have basic treble and bass controls? I can't seem to get the sound exactly right and I feel the treble needs to be raised a bit.

2)I've got the SSP-800 hooked up to a Monster Power Center 700 so when I turn on the 800 my Monster Power Center and my two Classe amps come out of standby and go on. I have all the Classe on standby 24/7. Is is better to turn them all off overnight or is it ok to leave them on standby? It's easier to leave them on.

Thanks in advance for any answers. I hope you are all enjoying the sweet sound like I am!

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2008
                                                                            • 568

Ralph -

There are no bass/tone controls in the SSP-800, but there is a sophisticated EQ built that can give you the brighter sound you are after. Look into hiring an acoustician in your area that can come to your home and calibrate the EQ (check with your dealer for a referral). You'll get better sound overall with the EQ set by a professional, not just in the treble.

You can leave your equipment in standby, it will be just fine. That's what the standby is for.

Comment

• planitismetal
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2008
                                                                              • 212

I've really got the SSP-800 humming and am enjoying the sound. I'm nowhere near the 300 hour break-in period but it sounds pretty darn good to me, right now.

2)I've got the SSP-800 hooked up to a Monster Power Center 700 so when I turn on the 800 my Monster Power Center and my two Classe amps come out of standby and go on. I have all the Classe on standby 24/7. Is is better to turn them all off overnight or is it ok to leave them on standby? It's easier to leave them on.

Thanks in advance for any answers. I hope you are all enjoying the sweet sound like I am!

First of all, welcome to the club... I think that is better to have all the equipments in standbuy, and the power amps in working mode... Only when you travel for a long time, close everything!!! power off!!!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2003
                                                                                • 2299

I did have a couple of simple questions, though:

1) I've never owned a high end piece like this so forgive me when I ask: Does the SSP-800 have basic treble and bass controls? I can't seem to get the sound exactly right and I feel the treble needs to be raised a bit.

welcome to the club. Tone controls are being considered for a future firmware.

Comment

• RalphoR
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2009
                                                                                  • 29

Thanks to AV-OCD, planitismetal, and sikoniko for the quick answers to my questions! I have been thinking of getting my system professionally calibrated. I just don't know what kind of cost it is. I will have to check in with my dealer and get a heads up. Thanks, again.

Comment

• Al B
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2009
                                                                                    • 77

Just upgraded to v 1.02 last night. Things went quite smoothly. What a relief
                                                                                    ALL my settings were maintained. I don't seem to have any delay issues moving from PCM to HD on my satellite input. Separation even on the standard 5.1 HD seems to be much better but it will definitely involve my listening. Going compare a few movies over the weekend.

I am running a set of Martin Logan Odyssey's on the front spkrs which are being driven by a musical fidelity power amp

Al B

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2008
                                                                                      • 568

Possible sub output bug - Requesting testing for all Dual DSP owners

Hello all -

I've been noticing wide swings in the subwoofer output from my SSP-800 since the Dual DSP was installed. I have found a couple of ways to reliably force the sub output fluctuations in my system and I'm hoping that some of you fellow SSP-800 Dual DSP owners would be willing to perform the two tests below to help me determine if this is unique to my SSP-800 or if it is a more widespread issue.

Bug 1 (Dolby Digital surround)
                                                                                      1. Play "THX Optimizer" test tones on any THX DVD (Finding Nemo, Monster's Inc., Star Wars Episode 1).
                                                                                      2. Make note of the SSP-800 Config assigned to your DVD input
                                                                                      3. Set the SSP-800 master volume to 0
                                                                                      4. Measure the subwoofer channel level with an SPL meter set for C Weight, Slow Response and make a note of the reading. (It should be around 75 dB, but it doesn't have to be.)
                                                                                      5. While THX test tones are playing, select Menu > System Set-up > Config
                                                                                      6. Select the same Config that you use for DVD playback (should be the same one you are currently in.)
                                                                                      7. While in the DVD default Config, select Levels > Activate Noise Seq., then turn off the Noise Seq.
                                                                                      8. Back out of this config and select a different one (from the set-up menu, not the Config button).
                                                                                      9. Back out of the second Config you entered and reselect the DVD default Config.
                                                                                      10. This time, as soon as the DVD default Config is selected, the sub output level should drop 8-10 dB and will stay this way until you do the following step.
                                                                                      11. While in your DVD default config, select Levels > Activate Noise Seq., then turn off the Noise Seq.
                                                                                      12. The sub level on the THX test tone should return to previously measured level in step #3.

It may take a couple of times for the bug to happen, so please try switching configs and activating / deactivating the "SSP-800's internal Noise Seq." if it doesn't manifest its self right away.

Bug 2 (PCM stereo)
                                                                                      1. Ensure that the main speakers are set for "crossed over", 80Hz crossover setting, subwoofer enabled
                                                                                      2. Play a stereo music source using a music track that has low enough bass to be routed to the subwoofer (preferably a music track with a repetitive bass line)
                                                                                      3. Measure the average bass level using SPL meter
                                                                                      4. While music is playing, select Menu > System Set-up > Config > Activate Noise Seq. and then turn it back off
                                                                                      5. Notice the measured bass level drops roughly 6 dB and will stay this way until you switch to a different input and back again

Bug 3 (not yet repeatable)
                                                                                      During the above bug testing, I switched from the Music input to the Movie input and there was a 2.5 increase in the level of the sub channel test tone generated by the THX Optimizer test disc, increasing from 75 dB to 77.5 dB. When I switched to the Music Input and back again to the Movie input, the level returned to 75 dB and I was unable to get the 2.5 dB increase to happen again.

Thanks in advance!
                                                                                      Last edited by AV-OCD; 02 December 2009, 20:43 Wednesday.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2006
                                                                                        • 3389

Tim,

I will try and let you know, also my screen will turn red when I switch input is that normal?

Comment

• style
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Feb 2006
                                                                                          • 1562

delete

:B :B :B
                                                                                          Last edited by style; 04 December 2009, 19:03 Friday.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • May 2004
                                                                                            • 795

It’s been a while since I was last visiting this site, but I have an issue with my SSP-800 so really hope someone have an idea that can help me.
                                                                                            So quick system overview for the issue I am experiencing. Basically the issue is between my TV (Phillips OLED 55POS9002) and the SSP.
                                                                                            The issue is as follow. My tv is connected to my ssp using one of the HDMI inputs on the TV. All HDMI inputs on the TV are ARC capable. If I switch to HDMi audio on the TV and then try to get sound from my SSP then I have no sound from the speakers. However IF I select my oppo Blu-ray player on the SSP and play a Blu-ray disk with hdmi audio connected via the secondary hdmi output on the oppo going directly to the SSP and play a short amount of HD-audio sound and then switch to the TV as audio source I then have no problem getting sound. So it seems like the ssp needs to “taste” a signal first and then after that it works perfectly - both on live tv or from my Apple TV or any other of my sources that did not work from the start. I don’t have any issues from any external sources it is only from something getting relayed from the arc channel in the tv.
                                                                                            Maybe I should mention that this problem was not there from the start but came after the latest Android update. I have contacted Phillips but no luck so far. So looking for a work around solution to my problem.
                                                                                            Simply takes to long starting the oppo and then playing a disk with HD-audio first before I can start watching a movie.
                                                                                            I am aware of the fact that Phillips does not get distributed in the Americas but Android tvs are available so maybe someone had experienced something similar.
                                                                                            Thanks
                                                                                            PS. I have to admit that I have considered moving to a newer SSP but so far I have been so disappointed from a sound perspective on the units I have tried. I only use my ssp for home theater (Have my CP-800 for real audio) but still feel the punch in the SSP-800 is so much better than most of the “reachable” gear for people without Amex black cards falling out of their pockets all the time..

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"