X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kubota36
    • Aug 2008

cdt discount

tnx for further info. Apparentley there is a Classe program but I am not sure what the mfgr supported discount is. 50% is a serious incentive! Congrats on a great buy and enjoy your new "stuff".

Comment

• rompower
      • May 2008

Anyone can confirm this 50% ????

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by rompower
        Anyone can confirm this 50% ????
        My dealer asked where I heard that from he thinks it's stuff-off the truck :T
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• AV-OCD
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wettou
          My dealer asked where I heard that from he thinks it's stuff-off the truck :T
          I was quite surprised myself, as my dealer is not a discount shop. In fact they are very strict with their pricing. But, hey I'l take it. I like getting new gear at used gear prices. :B

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Originally posted by AV-OCD
            I was quite surprised myself, as my dealer is not a discount shop. In fact they are very strict with their pricing. But, hey I'l take it. I like getting new gear at used gear prices. :B
            I agree more power to you I am going to ask my dealer to look into this :T
            May be I will just email Dave N.
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• kubota36
              • Aug 2008

cdt @ 50% off

I agree more power to you I am going to ask my dealer to look into this :T
              May be I will just email Dave N.
              If you learn anything, I would very much like to know. I would be a buyer at that price. thanks

Comment

• AV-OCD
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kubota36
                If you learn anything, I would very much like to know. I would be a buyer at that price. thanks
                I just called my dealer to change from the CDT-300 to the CDP-502 and discovered that this promo only applies to players with HDMI out. Of course this discount only applies to those buying an SSP-800. Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

• rompower
                  • May 2008

well.. looks like this is all wrong... No 50% promotion or whatever.... I talked to tom from Classé and... it's a local dealer promotion... not a classé program....

Comment

• kubota36
                    • Aug 2008

Conflicting messages

Originally posted by rompower
                    well.. looks like this is all wrong... No 50% promotion or whatever.... I talked to tom from Classé and... it's a local dealer promotion... not a classé program....

At some stage i guess we have to accept what they say. But it is my inclination to believe that Classe is supporting a lower price on CDTs as a way to help dealers who are having to explain late delivery of SSP 800. Other wise, how do you explain normally rigid dealers "discounting" the price of CDT? And, why is a dealer offering a discount only on HDMI product? Are we to believe that multiple dealers in different parts of the country independently came up with this idea at the same time?

I hope it is not a matter of having to ask the question right; that would disappoint me re Classe. But is Tom saying that Classe is not supporting dealers who offer any discount on CDTs for sales to customers who have bought SSP 800s period? Or is tom saying they are not supporting a "50%" discount?

When you are paying $thousands for equipment from a mfgr you want to believe what they tell you but it is hard to check my common sense at the door.

thanks, though, for getting the response

Comment

• AV-OCD
                      • Aug 2008

I was told that the promo discount on HDMI DVD players is due to poor sales of of said players as more people turn to BluRay players. Hence, they don't discount something like the 202 because it is primarily intended for music playback and does not compete with a BluRay player.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by AV-OCD
                        I was told that the promo discount on HDMI DVD players is due to poor sales of of said players as more people turn to BluRay players. Hence, they don't discount something like the 202 because it is primarily intended for music playback and does not compete with a BluRay player.
                        Classé might be unloading DVD players before launching their Blu Ray in 2009!

Or the dealers need cash not every one drops $5000 for a DVD player Oppo took a hughe bite out of DVD market with outstanding quality for $160-$399 that is a big delta!!

Comment

• Harmonium
                          • Apr 2008

Test

Comment

• Harmonium
                            • Apr 2008

Sorry to do that but since I haven't read nothing new for more than 5 days...

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Harmonium
                              Sorry to do that but since I haven't read nothing new for more than 5 days...
                              I think people have deserted this thread to go to the new one Classé SSP-800 Owners?:T

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

The Classé SSP-800 wins this year's RESI Award. It was up against the venerable Denon AVP-A1HDCI and the Niles Audio ZR-6 in the A/V Processor/Receiver category. Given the nature of CEDIA and Residential Systems I would have expected the Denon's plethora of features to put it on top. Sound quality must trump over features after all. :T
                                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                  The Classé SSP-800 wins this year's RESI Award. It was up against the venerable Denon AVP-A1HDCI and the Niles Audio ZR-6 in the A/V Processor/Receiver category. Given the nature of CEDIA and Residential Systems I would have expected the Denon's plethora of features to put it on top. Sound quality must trump over features after all. :T
                                  Excellent news! I know you working looking forward to that information. It is good to see it give the Denon a knock-out blow in the first round! Hopefully it will give more 'cred' to those of us who are so enthusiastic about the performance of the SSP-800.

I gladly welcome more reviews over the next few years! I know my experience has been nothing short of beyond my expectations.
                                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Very nice do you know how what were the criterias that made them decide on the Classé SSP-800!!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Very nice do you know how what were the criterias that made them decide on the Classé SSP-800!!
                                      According to the editor Jeremy Glowacki... "Finalists combine innovative engineering with elegant design, offering custom installers with products that surpass the aesthetic and performance needs of their demanding clients." The SSP-800 was judged to be the finest. Look to the October issue that will profile the winners for more details. :W

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

According to the editor Jeremy Glowacki... "Finalists combine innovative engineering with elegant design, offering custom installers with products that surpass the aesthetic and performance needs of their demanding clients." The SSP-800 was judged to be the finest. Look to the October issue that will profile the winners for more details. :W
                                        Again thanks Rebel Man, the design is the best no question about it the engineering is where the rubber meet the road. Did they tested the units and compared them from a sound perspective?

With this Classé should sell them like hot cakes:T

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                          • Apr 2008

Classe SSp-800 Broken-in

Hello guys –
                                          I bough for the first time a SACD CD Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon and for the first time I did play the CD through the PS3. I have connected the PS3 and SSP-800 via HDMI cable. The sound that came out of my 703 speakers was so clean and very detailed, and I had it a low volume. I think the SSP-800 is already broken in and every day that I listen to music either through the CD player or through the HD radio the sound gets better and better. I have the Rotel CD player connected through coax cable with the SSP-800 and the HD tuner connected through Toslink with the SSP-800 Since I am using digital signal for all of my components, AM I using the DACS on the PS3 or the SSP-800?. In addition, for example, if I change the cables on the CD player with Balanced cables (my cd player doesn’t support balanced interconnects) AM I be using the DACS on the CD player or in the SSP-800? I have Rotel RCC-1055 CD player, which would it be better, the CD player or the PS3 to listen music? I am not sure how this works. Can someone please have the kindness to explain?

To Rebelman –
                                          Congratulations on your new SSP-800 processor! You must be a happy camper to have it at home, finally right? I hope we hear good news on your SSP-800 review! I will be keeping my eyes open in the forum for it.
                                          Carlos
                                          Is anybody up to this task?

Comment

• Z Man
                                            • Jan 2008

The Resi Award is for Best Industrial Design category, and not for features or performance. And for that category I'd say that the SSP-800 currently has no peers. It's definitely a gorgeous design!

Seth
                                            My Martin Logan Theater
                                            My DVD Collection
                                            My CD Collection

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Z Man
                                              The Resi Award is for Best Industrial Design category, and not for features or performance. And for that category I'd say that the SSP-800 currently has no peers. It's definitely a gorgeous design!
                                              Read closely to what the editor said...

"Finalists combine innovative engineering with elegant design, offering custom installers with products that surpass the aesthetic and performance needs of their demanding clients."

The award is issued to companies that excel in both style and capabilities. Remember this criteria was deemed for all of the finalists not just the Classé piece. For a somewhat feature crippled processor to take the award says even more about it than it would have had it included all the bells and whistles too.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wer4ccsn
                                                Since I am using digital signal for all of my components, AM I using the DACS on the PS3 or the SSP-800?.
                                                The DACs on the SSP-800.

In addition, for example, if I change the cables on the CD player with Balanced cables (my cd player doesn’t support balanced interconnects) AM I be using the DACS on the CD player or in the SSP-800?
                                                The DACs on the CD player if I understand your setup correctly.

I have Rotel RCC-1055 CD player, which would it be better, the CD player or the PS3 to listen music?
                                                Depends on how anal you are. I would use the digital outputs from the CD player. The PS3 is a fine transport (I am using it as a SACD transport) but it can be noisy and I do not like ANY noise in my environment.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Did they tested the units and compared them from a sound perspective?
                                                  Absolutely. Keep in mind that there were three finalists that made it from who knows how many candidates. Also keep in mind that custom installers can be the most particular enthusiasts around and they are quite vocal about it. Bryston is one such company that listens very closely to their installers. With the introduction of the CT Series Classé is listening very closely now too.

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

Absolutely. Keep in mind that there were three finalists that made it from who knows how many candidates. .... With the introduction of the CT Series Classé is listening very closely now too.
                                                    Cool, this means I will probably go buy it after the new codecs are supported, on an other not I was wondering if the Classé SSP-800 has a phono preamp built in? I am tinkering with the idea of getting an entry level turn table!

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                      • Apr 2008

Thank you RebelMan for answering to my questions!
                                                      Carlos

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

Can you plug in a headphone in the SSP-800 ? I am looking to get the new Denon 7000

Comment

• wettou
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • May 2006

Given the number of piecemeal threads floating around regarding the SSP-800 I felt it would be more useful to consolidate the information we currently know about the upcoming processor into a dedicated thread. I believe it would facilitate better record keeping as more information about the SSP becomes available. It is also my hope that this thread would serve as the main stomping ground for any and all discussions regarding the technical and performance aspects of the product and to address questions from potential buyers and learn from the comments of early adopters.

Introduction

From inception the SSP-900 project had but only a single agenda and that was the creation of the ultimate audio and video processor with little regard to cost. The many years that went into the research and development exercise finally culminated in a statement product that was on the verge of release in early ‘07. Unfortunately, the over engineered SSP-900 was based on an extremely complex modular design and was very expensive to build.(Street price was originally set for $25,000).

Achieving quality product yields from volume manufacturing was no trivial task not to mention the product lifecycle that would be necessary to realize a timely ROI. Furthermore, the concept went beyond Classe’s core competency of producing strictly high-end audio components. Rather than market the SSP-900 as it was originally envisioned Classe’ rechristened it as concept vehicle for creating the SSP-800.

By reducing the modularity of the SSP-900 and stripping it of its video processing boards, the SSP-800 would be half as expensive, easier to build and more reliable. Since most of the R&D work had already been done in the creation of the SSP-900, the SSP-800 only needed to be adapted to the newest hardware standards and consumer needs at the time. Additionally the slimmer SSP would have much greater market appeal catapulting the Classe’ brand name for quality and performance to a wider audience.

Audience

The SSP-800 is simply put a high performance multi-channel audio processing machine. It caters to people that put audio reproduction above all else. It is not in competition for the logo’s title and it is not seeking the most features award either. Classe’ built the SSP-800 for one purpose and one purpose only and that is to deliver the best audio playback possible. Anyone looking for a conversational piece decorated with ridiculous graffiti logos and silly features that are likely to go unused or underutilized should probably look elsewhere. The SSP-800 is a high-end definition product that is all about getting the most from your audio sources, no more no less.

Advantage

The SSP-800 is engineered from the ground up by the Classe' Design Team that built the acclaimed SSP-600 and by the principle engineer that brought the Proceed AVP2/AVP2+6 and the cost no object Mark Levinson Nº40 Media Console to market. The AVP2/AVP2+6 is recognized as one of the best processors ever made inheriting much if not most of the Nº40 Media Console's DNA. The SSP-800 result’s from the ultimate culmination of talents between Classe' engineering and Proceed/Mark Levinson heritage. The SSP-800 makes no compromises and is the evolutionary next step in high-performance multi-channel audio for both analog and digital sources. (Note: The AVP2+6 originally retailed for $6,895 and the Nº40 Media Console $30,000, circa 2002.)

************************************************** *****************************

UPDATE I - March 15th

UPDATE II - April 28th

UPDATE III - June 5th

Price: Originally $10,000 -12,000, Now $8000

Availability:
                                                          Dealer Shipments: Originally March, June/July
                                                          Customer Delivery: Originally April, June/July

Status: A two week delay was incurred trying to resolve two issues on the video board but all the hardware looks great at present. Currently there is about three months of back orders in house which will take time to process. Most dealers will not see any product until June. The dates are conservative estimates and were necessary to set availability expectations.

Status: The hardware is being built and the software is going through the cyclical paces of testing and bug fixing. The hardware is rock solid and assembly is proceeding smoothly. The software is getting put through its paces but some issues are taking more time to address than expected. However, each itteration draws the processor closer to the finish line.

CODECS: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, dts, dts-ES Matrix, dts-ES Discrete, dts Neo:6 2CH, dts 96kHz/24-Bit, MCH LPCM 96kHz/24-Bit, Dual-DSP Board (Upgrade): Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, dts-HD High Resolution and dts-HD Master Audio. Plus other custom modes similar to those available in the current SSPs. (NO THX Post Processing)
                                                          - Optional +10 dB boost added to each MCH LPCM.
                                                          - Trim compensation features available for early DTS music recordings.
                                                          - Multiple configurations to level settings and manage bass engaged manually, by input or stream type.

All of the current sample rates including 7.1 channels at 192kHz/24-Bit are supported. However, the DAC systems perform best with the lowest THD+N when implemented as 96kHz input. Therefore, the SSP-800 will sample rate convert the signals to 96kHz before going to the DACs.

Room Correction: 5-Band (per channel) PEQ (manual).

The MDS DAE DSP upgrade board is capable of Audyssey and Trinnov automated room equalization but support for either feature has been suppressed at present given the complexities involved in proper room correction which cannot be trivialized with the DSP alone.

DSP Board: Momentum Data Systems MDS DAE-7 (7101) Module
                                                          - Texas Instruments Aureus DA610 Chip (TMS320D610A-225MHz)
                                                          - TMS320C67x™ Floating-point DSP (2nd Generation Chip) — Offer's the industry’s most advanced DSP C compiler and Assembly Optimizer to maximize efficiency and performance optimized for high-performance audio applications.

Dual-DSP Board (Upgrade): Momentum Data Systems MDS DAE-7D (7503) Module
                                                          - Texas Instruments Aureus DA710 Chip (TMS320D710A-300MHz)
                                                          - TMS320C672x™ Floating-point DSP (3rd Generation Chip) — Offer's the industry’s most advanced DSP C compiler and Assembly Optimizer to maximize efficiency and performance optimized for high-performance audio applications.
                                                          - FREE, Field Upgradable, Expected later this year or the next.

Each custom built OEM MDS DSP board is derived from a corresponding stock MDS DAE-6 and MDS DAE-6D DSP board. The boards were engineered to cooperate with Classe's home grown system board circuits which include but are not necessarily limited to their own implementation of power supply, volume control and DACs.

It is believed that both the current DSP and future dual-DSP boards are capable of DSD processing but it was not factored into the SSP-800's specifications. It is unknown whether a later firmware update would enable this feature or not. If significant interest was present in both the user community and in the form of HDMI enabled SACD hardware to make the investment in time and resources worthwhile it could be possible but it would be a long shot at best. EDIT: The SSP-800 does include the DSD DACs (PCM1792s) necessary for optimal performance but not the supporting architecture and as such the signal would need to be converted into MPCM. All HDMI capable SACD players presently provide this facility circumventing the need to implement it within the processor.

ADCs

Cirrus Logic CS5381 "Flagship" High-performance Stereo Analog-to-Digital Converter

DACs

Texas Instruments/Burr Brown PCM1792 [One for each pair in differential mode.] (L & R, C & S and AUX1 & AUX2)

Texas Instruments/Burr Brown PCM1796 [One for each pair in differential mode.] (SL & SR and RL & RR)

Volume Control

Cirrus Logic CS3318 "Flagship" Analog Volume Control IC Delivering Superior Sound Quality for High-End Surround Sound, Pro Audio Systems
                                                          - One for eight balanced channels and one for four single-ended channels.

Output Buffers

Balanced: National Semiconductor LME49720 Ultra-low distortion, low noise, high slew rate operational amplifier series optimized and fully specified for high performance, high fidelity applications.

Single Ended: National Semiconductor LME49720 Ultra-low distortion, low noise, high slew rate operational amplifier series optimized and fully specified for high performance, high fidelity applications.

Audio Inputs Analog

8 RCA: 7.1 Analog bypass ONLY.
                                                          4 RCA: 2.0 Analog bypass OR digital conversion.
                                                          2 XLR: 2.0 Analog bypass OR digital conversion.

Audio Inputs Digital

4 S/PDIF - Optical
                                                          4 S/PDIF - Coaxial
                                                          4 HDMI 1.3a (True HDMI repeater. Audio extracted from the inputs and put onto the outputs.)

Audio Outputs Analog

10 RCA: L, R, C, SW, SL, SR, RL, RR, AUX1, AUX2
                                                          10 XLR: L, R, C, SW, SL, SR, RL, RR, AUX1, AUX2

AUX1 and AUX2 can be used for…
                                                          - Extra subwoofers in a 7.3 configuration. OR
                                                          - L&R subwoofers in a 7.1 configuration. OR
                                                          - Bi-amping the L&R channels. OR
                                                          - Fixed use in another room.

Audio Outputs Digital

N/A

Video Inputs

2 S-Video
                                                          2 Composite
                                                          2 Component
                                                          4 HDMI 1.3a (36-Bit Deep Color Support)

Analog Devices ADV7802 12 Bit, 140 MHz High-performance Video Decoder with NTSC/PAL 3D Comb Filter Delivering Crisper HD Images
                                                          - Component, S-Video and Composite A/D Conversion and Transcoding
                                                          - Analog video sources can be output as either analog or digital while all digital video sources remain digital.

Video Outputs

1 Component
                                                          2 HDMI 1.3a (36-Bit Deep Color Support)

On Screen Display Overlay Supports all resolutions up to 1080p for both the built-in LCD and the main display screens.

Control Ports: IR IN & OUT, TRIGGER OUT1 & OUT2, USB, RS-232, CANBUS IN & OUT

Foot Print: Same chassis as used by the current SSP-600.

2CH Performance: According to Classe' it is their best yet from the Delta Series.

MCH Performance: According to Classe' it is expected to be the best available from anyone at any price.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is subject to change.

Rebel Man we need your thorough perspective this thread is not the same with out you

All joking aside I was looking at the dates and we are way past that. The upgrade will be in spring 2009? May be by Cedia 2009 in September one year later :cry:

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Rebel Man we need your thorough perspective this thread is not the same with out you

All joking aside I was looking at the dates and we are way past that. The upgrade will be in spring 2009? May be by Cedia 2009 in September one year later :cry:
                                                            Thanks for the niceties wettou. From the looks of things I have got much catching up to do. Looks like we have a few new SSP-800 owners and ShadowZA has a pair of 802D!!! WOW 8O

You may recall that I mentioned the upgrade would not be available until this year some time. Plan on later than sooner. Target (as Dan metioned) is for March but don't count on it too heavily.

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

Thanks for the niceties wettou. From the looks of things I have got much catching up to do. Looks like we have a few new SSP-800 owners and ShadowZA has a pair of 802D!!! WOW 8O You may recall that I mentioned the upgrade would not be available until this year some time. Plan on later than sooner. Target (as Dan mentioned) is for March but don't count on it too heavily.
                                                              WELCOME BACK :B And happy new year 2009, hope all is well with you

Comment

• garak
                                                                • Jul 2007

WELCOME BACK :B And happy new year 2009, hope all is well with you
                                                                I echo this sentiment also. Welcome back RebelMan, this place wasn't the same without you.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Sep 2005

Thanks for the niceties wettou. From the looks of things I have got much catching up to do. Looks like we have a few new SSP-800 owners and ShadowZA has a pair of 802D!!! WOW 8O

You may recall that I mentioned the upgrade would not be available until this year some time. Plan on later than sooner. Target (as Dan metioned) is for March but don't count on it too heavily.
                                                                  I am sure you will get many people welcoming you back, so many so it may derail this thread and warrant its own, but i want to jump in and says its great to have you back too!

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Welcome home, RebelMan :T

Great to have you back. May 2009 be a peaceful and good one for you & yours.

Yeah ... 2008 was a crazy year. I decided to put the processor on hold and go for a pair of 802D's instead. Love the Marlans

Enjoy your SSP-800. My personal opinion is that the SSP-800 represents a milestone in home theater entertainment in that it puts the audiophile first. I salute that.

Comment

• Hberg
                                                                      • Apr 2008

Welcome back, RebelMan.

It will be good to have your insight and expertise back in the forum.
                                                                      "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Thanks for the warm wishes everyone, it will be nice to finally get back in the swing of things. Timing is everything. While I was contemplating how to approach my review of the SSP-800 I ran into several unexpected situations involving work, family and friends then the holidays came and went. I am still reeling from some of the effects the last three months wrought but much of that has tapered off to manageable levels now, thankfully.

I am still deliberating the structure and content of my review. While I have considered several angles I also realized the approach to each may end up either too long winded or too short on substance. Rather than guess what people would like to see covered I am asking for some suggestions in an effort to make the points more succinct if you please.

Comment

• garak
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2007

I am still deliberating the structure and content of my review. While I have considered several angles I also realized the approach to each may end up either too long winded or too short on substance. Rather than guess what people would like to see covered I am asking for some suggestions in an effort to make the points more succinct if you please.
                                                                          Something I'd like to know is how does the SSP-800 compare to the CP-700 as a stereo preamp?

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2005
                                                                            • 1792

Rather than guess what people would like to see covered I am asking for some suggestions in an effort to make the points more succinct if you please.
                                                                            I would like to know your thoughts on the SSP 800 not having an auto EQ like Audyessy. Were you able to adjust the manual EQ, and is it realistic for the average to attempt it.

I to0 would like to know how the 2 channel compares to other stand alone Classe CDPs.

I am not really sure how to ask this, but does the sound or quality of the 800 beg for a certain type of speaker?

Can you articulate what the 800 is doing to a PCM signal in order to make it sound better then another processor assuming DACs are the same?

Sorry to be so selfish with my questions.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2003
                                                                              • 2299

Thanks for the warm wishes everyone, it will be nice to finally get back in the swing of things. Timing is everything. While I was contemplating how to approach my review of the SSP-800 I ran into several unexpected situations involving work, family and friends then the holidays came and went. I am still reeling from some of the effects the last three months wrought but much of that has tapered off to manageable levels now, thankfully.

I'd like you to type it while standing on your head :E and juggling at the same time. :T
                                                                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Gump
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2005
                                                                                • 522

....may end up either too long winded....

You? Long winded?? Nawwww......

Welcome back BatMan...er, I mean RebelMan 8) .

Glad you're back in the game, we missed you!

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 3389

Just you humble honest opinion about the pro and cons of the SSP-800 also I am very interested in multichannel SACD. I know that it does not read DSD but can use the PCM? Again welcome back

Comment

• Classe4me
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2007
                                                                                    • 79

Welcome back stranger!

Hey Rebel, I think you have had all the head swelling welcomes your house can stand so I will just state that it's nice to see you back, and know you really are alive! I can relate to unexpected situations and the holidays.....boy can I ever!

I have asked this before but never felt like I could totally digest the answers and responses that were given to me. Knowing you have owned both the SSP-600 and the SSP-800 I would love to know in simple, easy for an ADD person to be able to digest, layman's terms take on the differences between those two.

What will the SSP-800 do right now that the 600 won't? With approximate market values being as they are, is the 800 worth double the money with what it does on 90% DVDs on a CDP-502 and a split 5% on Blu-ray and CDs?

Those percentages are sure to change but that is what they are currently.

I just cannot grasp what type of difference it can make? With there only being $1000 difference in list price currently it blows me away to think of how cheap the 600s have gotten and how high the 800s are staying.

Does it sound much more clear and crisp? Does it do a much better job or separating the different channels to enhance the surround sound experience? Is it as beneficial to 5.1 as it is to 7.1?

I would be curious to know how the SSP-800 would stack up against the Anthem D2 with ARC? Some seem to view that one as a powerhouse. I have no dealers remotely close to test listen and compare.

I'd enjoy hearing your assessment on those two (or three) pieces.

Good to see a post with your name beside it again!

Keep that head in check though!

Tom

Comment

• Hberg
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Apr 2008
                                                                                      • 95

I would like to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of the SSP-800 and what changes you see beneficial down the road.

I don't want to be too specific with the question, since your insight may shed some light on areas that have yet to be explored in this thread.

As one can tell by reading the threads in the Classe' Forum there are numerous opinions and observations, and I have always valued yours.

Thanks.
                                                                                      "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2005
                                                                                        • 1792

Just curious...do you have the ability to display signal info such as 16bit or 24bit on the small screen?

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2005
                                                                                          • 1792

I wanted to be sure I was clear with the above question.

Example...If a player sends a lossless 16/24 signal via HDMI to the 800 will the 800 be able to display those details?

I am also curious to know if its possible for a processor to display the bit rate or if thats only able to be displayed by a player.

Comment

• garak
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jul 2007
                                                                                            • 310

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                                                                            Just curious...do you have the ability to display signal info such as 16bit or 24bit on the small screen?
                                                                                            It doesn't display on the small screen. However, if you hit the info button on the remote, it will show you the sample rate.
                                                                                            Originally posted by Vancouver
                                                                                            I wanted to be sure I was clear with the above question. Example...If a player sends a lossless 16/24 signal via HDMI to the 800 will the 800 be able to display those details? I am also curious to know if its possible for a processor to display the bit rate or if thats only able to be displayed by a player.
                                                                                            If you send the 800 a decoded signal, the info menu in the 800 displays multi-ch PCM and shows the sample rate.

The 800 does not display the video bit rate.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"