X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Srrndhound
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Vancouver
    Example...If a player sends a lossless 16/24 signal via HDMI to the 800 will the 800 be able to display those details?

I am also curious to know if its possible for a processor to display the bit rate or if thats only able to be displayed by a player.
    If by lossless you mean the compressed bitstream in TrueHD or HDMA form, that of course is not yet supported until the codec upgrade.

Products that perform the decoding of lossless bitstreams can have access to all the metadata of the encoded stream, and of course can look at each audio packet within the VBR stream and report its size, and convert that info to peak bitrate if so desired.

When TrueHD lossless is decoded, the PCM output is always a 24 bit word, regardless of the original being 16, 20, 22, 24, or whatever resolution, and the bitstream metadata does not indicate the source resolution, as it is not useful to the decoder. Any unused bits in the 24-bit output will of course be zeros in order to ensure lossless operation. A downstream device will not know what the source resolution was unless it analyzes the zero padding of LSBs. It can directly know the sample rate and number of channels, and from that one can easily compute a bitrate for the PCM. But this bitrate has no relation to the compressed lossless bitrate as that is VBR, changing every few milliseconds.

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

have you looked at the "Status" of the signal?

Tip 3: In the Menu, become friendly with the Status button. It will tell you information about what the SSP is receiving as far as Video signal (1080p/i, 720p, etc) as well as audio (multi-channel, stereo, 44.1, etc.). When the SSP seems to be misbehaving, check the signal it is receiving to understand what is causing the issue. This is the first place to troubleshoot. Often, I will find that the source player is configured wrong, and the SSP is merely passing through what it is receiving.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

We should have a poll to see how many peaople will buy the SSP-800 went the new codecs are released in Q2 or Q3 09?
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Oddiophile
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by wettou
          We should have a poll to see how many peaople will buy the SSP-800 went the new codecs are released in Q2 or Q3 09?
          It would also be interesting to find out how many people are waiting on "official" reviews of the SSP-800 by people like Kal Robinson.

J.R.

Comment

• Oddiophile
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by RebelMan
            Thanks for the warm wishes everyone, it will be nice to finally get back in the swing of things. Timing is everything. While I was contemplating how to approach my review of the SSP-800 I ran into several unexpected situations involving work, family and friends then the holidays came and went. I am still reeling from some of the effects the last three months wrought but much of that has tapered off to manageable levels now, thankfully.

I am still deliberating the structure and content of my review. While I have considered several angles I also realized the approach to each may end up either too long winded or too short on substance. Rather than guess what people would like to see covered I am asking for some suggestions in an effort to make the points more succinct if you please.

I would suggest that you write the review in whatever manner you feel comfortable with. If you can incorporate some of the points mentioned by others, then great. I am sure that whatever you come up with will be appreciated by all regardless of viewpoint. The SSP-800 is in its way a complex product and so I for one would prefer that you err on the side of too much detail. The normal reviews are often lacking in that regard.

Glad to have you back!

J.R.

P.S. I would be interested in your comments on the quality of the user interface. I suspect that you will likely incorporate that in your review anyway.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by garak
              Something I'd like to know is how does the SSP-800 compare to the CP-700 as a stereo preamp?
              Definitely.
              Originally posted by Vancouver
              I would like to know your thoughts on the SSP 800 not having an auto EQ like Audyessy. Were you able to adjust the manual EQ, and is it realistic for the average to attempt it.

I to0 would like to know how the 2 channel compares to other stand alone Classe CDPs.

I am not really sure how to ask this, but does the sound or quality of the 800 beg for a certain type of speaker?

Can you articulate what the 800 is doing to a PCM signal in order to make it sound better then another processor assuming DACs are the same?

Sorry to be so selfish with my questions.
              Gotcha covered.
              Just you humble honest opinion about the pro and cons of the SSP-800 also I am very interested in multichannel SACD. I know that it does not read DSD but can use the PCM?
              Consider it done.
              Originally posted by Hberg
              I would like to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of the SSP-800 and what changes you see beneficial down the road.

I don't want to be too specific with the question, since your insight may shed some light on areas that have yet to be explored in this thread.

As one can tell by reading the threads in the Classe' Forum there are numerous opinions and observations, and I have always valued yours.
              To kind, thank you. I originally concieved three separate parts to the review each covering 2CH, MCH and REQ. Then I considered overall PROS and CONS and VS and finally before and after expectations. It was begining to looking a bit chaotic to talk about. The feedback thus far has been helpful to sensibly structure the content.
              Originally posted by Gump
              You? Long winded?? Nawwww......

Welcome back BatMan...er, I mean RebelMan 8) .

Glad you're back in the game, we missed you!
              Heh, you know me too well my friend. :T
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Oddiophile
                I would suggest that you write the review in whatever manner you feel comfortable with. If you can incorporate some of the points mentioned by others, then great. I am sure that whatever you come up with will be appreciated by all regardless of viewpoint. The SSP-800 is in its way a complex product and so I for one would prefer that you err on the side of too much detail. The normal reviews are often lacking in that regard.

Glad to have you back!

J.R.

P.S. I would be interested in your comments on the quality of the user interface. I suspect that you will likely incorporate that in your review anyway.
                Points well taken. Thank you.

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Classe4me
                  What will the SSP-800 do right now that the 600 won't? With approximate market values being as they are, is the 800 worth double the money with what it does on 90% DVDs on a CDP-502 and a split 5% on Blu-ray and CDs?

Those percentages are sure to change but that is what they are currently.

I just cannot grasp what type of difference it can make? With there only being $1000 difference in list price currently it blows me away to think of how cheap the 600s have gotten and how high the 800s are staying.

Does it sound much more clear and crisp? Does it do a much better job or separating the different channels to enhance the surround sound experience? Is it as beneficial to 5.1 as it is to 7.1?
                  All good questions. Thanks!

I would be curious to know how the SSP-800 would stack up against the Anthem D2 with ARC? Some seem to view that one as a powerhouse. I have no dealers remotely close to test listen and compare.
                  I don't have enough one-on-one time with the D2 to offer a fair appraisal but the latest incarnation of it, the D2V, did impress me on its capabilities. It includes new native audio HBR decoding, improved video processing, ARC and upgrades to Dolby Volume which is to my thinking a far more important feature for today’s processors than Audyssey is or should be.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Rebel man good to see you back in action, when can we expect your review? :T
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Rebel man good to see you back in action, when can we expect your review? :T
                      I'm working on it.

Comment

• Nolan B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2005

I'm working on it.
                        as soon as I see your name as the last post in this thread I think its your review.

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

I'm working on it.
                          RebelMan, Great work well :B

I am getting impatient with Classé and the new codecs only two more months so I hear!!! Let's hope it is tru and we are not waiting an other six months..

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

I'm working on it.
                            Are we there yet ?

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Did you know that the latest Texas Instruments Aureus DA710 Chip is used in the latest Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD!!

"The Texas Instruments DA710 digital audio processor is the latest in the Aureus family of multichannel-audio encoding and decoding digital signal processors from TI. It is designed to provide exceptional high-quality audio processing and to deliver unsurpassed multichannel sound quality. The 32-bit processing performance of the DA710 enables it to optimally support the AVR 7550HD’s advanced audio software, which includes Dolby Volume, Dolby TrueHD, proprietary Logic 7® surround sound-enhancement technology from Harman International, and other applications."

So Classé is not so unique after all :cry:

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

Did you know that the latest Texas Instruments Aureus DA710 Chip is used in the latest Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD!!

"The Texas Instruments DA710 digital audio processor is the latest in the Aureus family of multichannel-audio encoding and decoding digital signal processors from TI. It is designed to provide exceptional high-quality audio processing and to deliver unsurpassed multichannel sound quality. The 32-bit processing performance of the DA710 enables it to optimally support the AVR 7550HD’s advanced audio software, which includes Dolby Volume, Dolby TrueHD, proprietary Logic 7® surround sound-enhancement technology from Harman International, and other applications."

So Classé is not so unique after all :cry:

notice it says 32-bit. the new DSP will have 2 64bit processors.

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                  notice it says 32-bit. the new DSP will have 2 64bit processors.
                                  Ah 2x64Bit yes that is very nice no software can use the 64bit today!!

When is it coming out I thought they said Spring 09!! I guess we have until June 20th until the end of Spring

It would be nice if as a surprise Classé integrates some of our suggestions but I am not holding my breath!!
                                  Last edited by wettou; 12 April 2009, 11:11 Sunday.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                    • May 2008

It would be nice if as a surprise Classé integrates some of our suggestions but I am not holding my breath!!
                                    Please do! :rofl:
                                    Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                                      Please do! :rofl:
                                      You are so funny, are you a stand up comedian Ha Ha Ha! I am beyond myself you are hilarious ;x(

Comment

• beden1
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2006

You are so funny, are you a stand up comedian Ha Ha Ha! I am beyond myself you are hilarious ;x(
                                        Very witty comeback Wettou, as usual! :T

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

I'm working on it.
                                          Still working!!

Comment

• nikos
                                            • Dec 2005

With all the hoopla about the NEW iPhone ...the iphone killer the Pre, the new mac OS etc etc... on the high tech sites and blogs...I keep thinking to myself.... I don't care.

Just give me the Rebelman ;x( report I want to know what I'm missing having the SSP-800 in a box in storage!

Nikos
                                            Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                              • Apr 2008

SSP-800/OPPO/DTS Audio Format CDs

Question for all the SSP-800 owners - Does the SSP-800 capable to decode/play DTS Audio CDs? I will be getting the OPPO bluray player next week. Is it safe to buy this kind of format to play with the SSP-800 and OPPO? I know that the OPPO support the DTS format audio but I'm not sure about the SSP-800 I have some good deals buying some of this DTS audio cds but I need to make sure I will spend the money wisely. Thank you all ;x( an advance for your input.
                                              Regards
                                              Carlos

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by wer4ccsn
                                                Question for all the SSP-800 owners - Does the SSP-800 capable to decode/play DTS Audio CDs? I will be getting the OPPO bluray player next week. Is it safe to buy this kind of format to play with the SSP-800 and OPPO? I know that the OPPO support the DTS format audio but I'm not sure about the SSP-800 I have some good deals buying some of this DTS audio cds but I need to make sure I will spend the money wisely. Thank you all ;x( an advance for your input.
                                                Regards
                                                Carlos
                                                While I am not an owner I can answer this.

Yes.

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                  • Apr 2008

Thank you

Originally posted by Nolan B
                                                  While I am not an owner I can answer this.

Yes.
                                                  Thanks nolan for replying to my request. I appreciated!
                                                  Carlos

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                    • Apr 2008

Help please!

Hi all –
                                                    I just got the OPPO BDP-83 Bluray player over the weekend but I couldn’t install it because I didn’t have all the necessary cables to do it. I was thinking using hdmi for movies, the two channel analog out for all stereo music, and the multichannel analogs (5.1) to hear the surround layers of SACD, DTS, DVD-Audio etc, On the SSP-800 I didn’t see the two dedicated RCA analog in, but instead two-balanced XLR audio in, so I will be buying a pair of cables terminated with XLR and RCA (xlr to 800, and rca to oppo) My question is how do I set this up on the SSP-800? I kind of knowing just a little bit how to configure a single cable :cry: (the basic only), but I don’t know how to configure/setup 3 things at once inside the brains of the 800. I now that I need to go to System setup>Input (need to create an input here)>audio>video>configuration. Selecting Audio>connector=do I need to highlight 2 or 3 items to make them active at the same time? Do I need to setup only one configuration for all I wanted? In regards the audio department inside the 800 I get lost! Would you please give me some advise/help on how to do this? ;x( ops: Thank you so much in advance. ;x(
                                                    Regards
                                                    Carlos

Comment

• planitismetal
                                                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wer4ccsn
                                                      Hi all –
                                                      I just got the OPPO BDP-83 Bluray player over the weekend but I couldn’t install it because I didn’t have all the necessary cables to do it. I was thinking using hdmi for movies, the two channel analog out for all stereo music, and the multichannel analogs (5.1) to hear the surround layers of SACD, DTS, DVD-Audio etc, On the SSP-800 I didn’t see the two dedicated RCA analog in, but instead two-balanced XLR audio in, so I will be buying a pair of cables terminated with XLR and RCA (xlr to 800, and rca to oppo) My question is how do I set this up on the SSP-800? I kind of knowing just a little bit how to configure a single cable :cry: (the basic only), but I don’t know how to configure/setup 3 things at once inside the brains of the 800. I now that I need to go to System setup>Input (need to create an input here)>audio>video>configuration. Selecting Audio>connector=do I need to highlight 2 or 3 items to make them active at the same time? Do I need to setup only one configuration for all I wanted? In regards the audio department inside the 800 I get lost! Would you please give me some advise/help on how to do this? ;x( ops: Thank you so much in advance. ;x(
                                                      Regards
                                                      Carlos
                                                      Hi wer4ccsn

SSP-800 has got near the XLR audio in, another 2 pairs of RCA analog inputs!
                                                      Every input is a different setup! For example: Input 1: stereo Input 2: HDMI...
                                                      You have to find the instructions in the forum made by "sikoniko", it is very helpfull!!!!!! Don't forget that SSP-800 must be powered off after every input or configuration setup because otherwise it will be lost!

Comment

• garak
                                                        • Jul 2007

Hi Carlos,

I also have the Oppo BDP-83, however I have it connected to the SSP-800 via an HDMI cable only. IMO, that is the best way to enjoy the best sound quality. In this way, the Oppo is used as a digital transport and the SSP-800 does all of the audio processing no matter if it's CD, SACD, blu-ray etc.

With the Oppo connected via HDMI, you can still hear the surround layers of SACD, DVD-A, so that shouldn't be a concern for you.

Also, if you only use HDMI, the configuration is very simple.

Brian

Comment

• style
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Feb 2006

Hi,

I don't have the Oppo but the Pioneer lx9109 in USA? and a Denon3800bd...they are not Sacd but in the Classe link you can read that the
                                                          Best connect is the Hdmi.
                                                          I have tested my Pioneer bd player with analog but don't pay...with a Hdmi you go have the Best sound.
                                                          (and a Coax. cable in not necessary too....1 cable: Hdmi and enjoy your music)

Style

(p.s Brian the Basso is order??)

Comment

• garak
                                                            • Jul 2007

Hi Omar,

I will probably wait another week or two because I will be away from July 2-12, and I don't want it to arrive while I'm away.

Did you decide what you're going to do?

Brian

Comment

• style
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Feb 2006

hi Brian,

A Solid Tech like me too. but not a "castle" but anything like btf1980: a "2 floor" CA5200 and the SSP800 over....

for the 2 x bluray player and the center I go see....(maybe for the htm2d I go use the B&W stand...)

greetings Omar

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                                • Apr 2008

Thank you!

Hey guys, thank you for your reply... ;x( HDMI is the way to go! :T Thanks again!
                                                                Carlos

Comment

• style
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Feb 2006

Hallo Brian & SSP800 fans,

The upgrade with the new chip, DSP part II is on the way!!!!

My friend from Classe write my:
                                                                  In August, the new software will be available. Well after the holidays we go open the new chapter SSP800!!

greetings Style

(I have already an appointment to do this nice & great work - update) :T :T

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                                    • Apr 2008

Thanks Style

Originally posted by style

In August, the new software will be available. Well after the holidays we go open the new chapter SSP800!!

greetings Style

Hola Style, if you are talking about the new board, that is great news to all! :T
                                                                    Thank you for the update on that one! ;x(
                                                                    Carlos

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2008

If I am able to keep my gear I will either get the SSP-800 Or the SP3 by Bryston which also seems to be a terrific piece of audio gear.
                                                                      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                                                                        If I am able to keep my gear I will either get the SSP-800 Or the SP3 by Bryston which also seems to be a terrific piece of audio gear.
                                                                        I saw the SP3 at CES this year and had some time to speak to James Tanner. I really enjoyed the time. It was not a working model.

I did compare the SSP-600 against the SP2 and the SSP-600 was better in every way... just my opinion.

Comment

• garak
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by style

greetings Style

Hi Omar,

Thanks for the info. I'll be eager to get that upgrade done once it's out.

Brian

Comment

• thaile88
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • May 2008
                                                                            • 15

hi RebelMan!
                                                                            about the classe Ssp-800.
                                                                            I noticed this is an Surround Sound Preamp Processor so :
                                                                            Does it have an separate 2 channel music listening mode in this SSP-800?
                                                                            If it has then how is it?

thanks

Comment

• wxmanunr
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Dec 2008
                                                                              • 64

SSP-800 for 2 Channel

It kicks some serious butt. Best sounding DAC I've ever heard.

wxmanunr

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2008
                                                                                • 568

Originally posted by thaile88
                                                                                hi RebelMan!
                                                                                about the classe Ssp-800.
                                                                                I noticed this is an Surround Sound Preamp Processor so :
                                                                                Does it have an separate 2 channel music listening mode in this SSP-800?
                                                                                If it has then how is it?

thanks
                                                                                I agree with wxman on this. You shouldn't think of the SSP-800 as just an AV processor, it performs as well if not better than many stand-alone 2 channel pre-amps / DAC's.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2003
                                                                                  • 2299

I'm wondering if you made it to Definitive Audio demo last week AV-OCD? If so, would you share your thoughts?

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2008
                                                                                    • 568

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                                                    I'm wondering if you made it to Definitive Audio demo last week AV-OCD? If so, would you share your thoughts?
                                                                                    Sorry, no, I did not go.

I did not go in a train.

I did not go in a plane.

Some might think that I did not go was insane.

:B

I've been to one of the demos at Definitive in the past, and it was sort of fun, but since I'm not really in the market for any new gear, it's best not to tempt myself.

I did find this article on the event.

Comment

• thaile88
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • May 2008
                                                                                      • 15

SSP-800 2 channel

Thanks guys for sharing your thought.
                                                                                      i appreciate it all.
                                                                                      Now i can be happy on getting this baby home.
                                                                                      I am an big fan of HDMI sound for 2 channel music listening. :T

Comment

• RalphoR
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2009
                                                                                        • 29

Hi all. I hope things are going well with you and your SSP-800! I have really enjoyed mine but I have come upon a problem that I hope you can help me out with.

I have AT&T U-Verse as my tv provider and I haven't had any problems with them....until now. When I watch tv channels that have dolby digital 5.1 sound I only hear them in 2.0. The SSP used to work correctly with AT&T and I had a display showing 3/2.1 for my sound. Now it shows Digital PCM (which comes across 2.0 and is really low volume). Strange. When I got into the input to asssign my favorite processing Dolby Digital EX and Dolby Surround are both greyed out. They weren't before and now I can't select them. Could this be an SSP issue or could it be an AT&T issue? Maybe AT&T is not sending out a multi-channel audio signal? I'm baffled. All other inputs are working well: Blu-Ray, CD, VCR (yeah, I still have one!). Thanks for any help in advance!

Also, has there been any news on possible firmware updates or the new DSP board that anyone has heard out there?

Ralph

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2008
                                                                                          • 568

Ralph -

Sounds like a cable box problem. You might try going to the main menu for the cable box and look for a "settings" or "set-up" function, and within that an audio configuration option.

The surround options are greyed out on your SSP because it doesn't "see" surround signal, because the source isn't sending it one.

Comment

• RalphoR
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • Feb 2009
                                                                                            • 29

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think I ever saw the option for digital sound in my cable box settings before. It worked! Thanks, again, for your help.

Ralph

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"