X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

It will be September for Cedia probably.
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wettou
      It will be September for Cedia probably.
      It will be at CEDIA but they are debuting it LIVE and in action this week.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan

And I'll be there to represent! :T
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• dmccombs
          • Sep 2006

It's looking to be a lot like Christmas... arty:

Christmas in July that is... This is great news for all that have been patiently waiting.
          Last edited by dmccombs; 17 June 2008, 15:09 Tuesday.

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Originally posted by kennyt
            While I love all the features and find with the new audio codecs it sounds simply AMAZING, I wish the Denon did music better, it lacks the weight and separation I find in other AV preamps at this price point.
            That is interesting, I am looking forward to hear the Classé SSP-800 with music as this is my primary interest of course I love movies as well and will wait until they upgrade it so it decodes the latest Codec.

Also how do you find the Audyssey does it work well?
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dmccombs
              It's looking to be a lot like Christmas. arty:

Christmas in July that is... This is great news for all that have been patiently waiting.
              Agreed. The AV drought at our house has been terrible this year. We could use some SSP about now. :P

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

sikoniko got an early sneak peak of the SSP-800 that will be officially demoed tomorrow night at Definitive Audio. He says that no 2CH critical listening and no direct comparisons to other equipment (past or present) could be made but early Home Theater sessions are sounding very good. Taking the venue in as a whole he thought that the system sounded "fantastic". He sent some camera phone pictures to share. Later when he gets back from the trip he will post better pictures and detailed comments.
                Attached Files

Comment

• rompower
                  • May 2008

Rebelman: everything pass through certification and the.. few issues you were talking about? (The SSP-800 is going through the finishing stages of certification and looking good so far and as expected. All of the major software hurdles have been jumped. Only minor details and unexpected sequence issues remain. It may be June after all. )

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by rompower
                    Rebelman: everything pass through certification and the.. few issues you were talking about? (The SSP-800 is going through the finishing stages of certification and looking good so far and as expected. All of the major software hurdles have been jumped. Only minor details and unexpected sequence issues remain. It may be June after all. )
                    Are you saying you heard it passed through certification or are you asking? your statement is unclear?

Comment

• rompower
                      • May 2008

i'm asking
                      sorry for confusion

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

i'm asking
                        sorry for confusion
                        I happen to be in Seattle on business when I ran across this open house tonight and tomorrow. Dave Nauber will be there, and any news I get will be handed down to the board.

Definitive Audio is less than a mile from my hotel, and I actually found the store when I was looking for my hotel, so I decided to stop in. There was so much confusion during the preperation for the show that I was able to wonder around before being asked nicely to leave.

The pictures I sent Rebelman were pictures taken while I was there. I sat mainly in the B&W room.

The room consists of:

SSP-800
                        CDP-502
                        I don't remember which BD Player, either Pioneer or Panasonic
                        A $60k Runco projector
                        The world premier of the new B&W CT 8.4 (pictured above)
                        3 Classe amps for LCR: 2 Omega's and an Omnicron
                        2 CA-2100's for surrounds
                        2 pairs of in-wall B&W 8180's

The room was still being setup by the Runco guys. The SSP had been calibrated, but no comment on Equalization. While the Runco guys were setting up, the audio guys were setting up the room with the ML-502, a pair of Wilson Alexandria's, Wilson Watch, and a pair of on wall surround speakers with the premier of Wilson's 'Thor's Hammer' sub. I walked in this room and snapped a pic of the ML. Its pretty ugly, but to each their own. There was also a room with Rotel and another room with Maggies that I saw.

I sat in the room with the SSP-800 for about 45 minutes demoing different tracks from the DTS demo disk, which included DTS-MA tracks. 1 'live band' presentation, which I don't know who it was, and a demo of the scene from Xmen3 where Jean Grey destroys the house, Xavier and almost magneto. We also had SD material that was quite good sounding. The Runco guy had downloaded some fan demo's of Star Wars that people apparently re-did. Quite impressive.

Keep in mind, I'm not used to these rooms, so I can't give comparisons and say definitively anything compared to how the 800 is over the old stuff, or anything like that.

My initial impression of the 800: It is the Classe sound. If you are thinking that Classe would have changed their sound, don't think that. It is very good. I think the bass in the room was quite present, and directional. We found that different areas of the room had different levels of bass. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the processor and not more to do with the room and sub placement.

Overall, my first impression is quite good. If I was building a dedicated theater room, these CT 8.4's are VERY impressive for their size, and should be considered. The SSP-800 is quite nice in all of the right areas. It wraps it's arms around you, draws you in and holds on tight, only leaving you wanting to stay longer.

I will take my wife's camera with me tonight, but I forgot the USB cable, so quality pictures won't be updloaded until Sunday when I get home.

Questions I plan to ask Dave:

is 2 zone support independent?
                        What certifications are we waiting on?
                        Do you expect to ship before the end of the month?
                        What is the status on the Dual DSP?
                        Can we expect any other new products from Classe before the end of the year?

Comment

• Shakespeare
                          • Mar 2008

Sikoniko, can you also ask if they will be shipping to the UK market at the same time or if not roughly when. Thanks.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                            I happen to be in Seattle on business when I ran across this open house tonight and tomorrow. Dave Nauber will be there, and any news I get will be handed down to the board. Definitive Audio
                            I use to live in Seattle great company and great stores?

I find interesting to read this about Classé main competition:The Denon AVP-A1HDCI

Conclusion

The Denon AVP-A1HDCI represents bleeding edge technology that only a select few manufacturers can compete with regardless of price. This processor truly is a master of all domains. It’s not cheap to own this combo set from Denon, but such is the case with statement pieces and first implementers of new technologies. It’s a bit difficult to quantify its value as compared to their very own AVR-5308CI A/V receiver, it seems to be overpriced since the latter does mostly everything this processor does albeit maybe not as elegantly. But when you compare it to other more expensive “high end” processors, many of which don’t offer video processing and upscaling, room correction, or TrueHD / DTS HD decoding, it seems to be quite a bargain.

If you’re looking for the very best home theater separates solution, I highly recommend considering the Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre/pro and POA-A1HDCI ten channel power amp. While their model #’s aren’t impressive sounding, and the associated name doesn’t quite have the prestige of a Levinson or Krell, you can rest assured the Denon products have it where it counts in performance and features and are pound for pound a better value than virtually all of the super high end products on the market. From its Realta video processing engine, to its sophisticated Audyssey room correction, top notch construction and component usage, you’re getting Mercedes level performance and refinement at Acura prices. Your high end audio snob friends may snicker at this system, especially since they likely spent 2-3 times more for hollow boxes, but I suggest humbling yourself by saying nothing. You don’t want everyone driving the same car you’re driving, do you?

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Shakespeare
                              Sikoniko, can you also ask if they will be shipping to the UK market at the same time or if not roughly when. Thanks.
                              They expect to ship to Europe around the same time they ship to North America, providing all certifications pass at the same time. He said though that sending to Europe does add some delay by a few weeks to a month.

90 are sold to North America and about 120 sold to the rest of the world. He said when the SSP-600 and 300 came out, they had about 40 on pre-order.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

Wettou,

I spoke to Dave about Audessey and the Denon in particular. I don't want to misquote him, or take him out of context, so I will simply state that their testing concluded it to be more harmful than good to the quality of the audio. They have EQ on the Processor, and they recommend you hire an acoustician to have your room properly treated and then EQ'd with the processor. They are not marketing to people who are interested in the auto-eq and other assundry features.

There is more to report, but I didn't ask if there was anything that he told me I should not post, so in respect to our conversations, I will hold off on divuldging more.

To mention the event:
                                The Wilson Room:
                                Maxx 2 speakers
                                Debut of the Watch 2
                                Debut of the Watch Surround
                                Debut of Thors Hammer
                                2 ML 433's
                                ML 502.
                                PioneerBDP-95FD
                                Sim2 Projector

Impression:
                                Bad source demo's selections. The sound felt very bright in the highs. I wouldn't say forward, just not as pleasurable as I would have hoped. sound felt off in the distant. I would also say the room was boarding on overly treated and potentially acoustically dead.

Rotel Room:
                                Rotel Processor (didnt get number, looked like 1069?)
                                Rotel 1077 Amp
                                Rotel DVD Player
                                Debut of B&W CT700 Speakers

Room was very noisy and bright, but very involving. I felt it was too loud for my tastes.

Classe/ B&W
                                B&W CT8.4 L/C/R
                                DS8 for surrounds and rears
                                Omega Omnicron for center
                                Omega Mono L/R
                                2xCA-2100 for surrounds
                                PioneerBDP-95FD
                                CDP-502

Impression: Very nice. If you like classe and b&w, you will love this sound. I was highly impressed by the CT 8.4's, more so than I expected.

There were 2 meridian rooms, but I don't know enough about Meridian to say what the speakers were. I'll try and get that info when I go back tomorrow. 1 room was bookshelf, 1 room was floor stander. The big room apparently was not dialed into the DSP settings, so the big room will be a return visit. The big room also included a monster projector and a pair of the big JL Audio subs. Not descriptive, but I'm tired. I have pictures to share when I get home.

I did not make it to see the room with the Maggies and 103 runco plasma, but it was there. I'll see it tomorrow.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                  • Apr 2005

Wettou,

I spoke to Dave about Audessey and the Denon in particular. I don't want to misquote him, or take him out of context, so I will simply state that their testing concluded it to be more harmful than good to the quality of the audio. They have EQ on the Processor, and they recommend you hire an acoustician to have your room properly treated and then EQ'd with the processor. They are not marketing to people who are interested in the auto-eq and other assundry features.

There is more to report, but I didn't ask if there was anything that he told me I should not post, so in respect to our conversations, I will hold off on divuldging more.

To mention the event:
                                  The Wilson Room:
                                  Maxx 2 speakers
                                  Debut of the Watch 2
                                  Debut of the Watch Surround
                                  Debut of Thors Hammer
                                  2 ML 433's
                                  ML 502.
                                  PioneerBDP-95FD
                                  Sim2 Projector

Impression:
                                  Bad source demo's selections. The sound felt very bright in the highs. I wouldn't say forward, just not as pleasurable as I would have hoped. sound felt off in the distant. I would also say the room was boarding on overly treated and potentially acoustically dead.

Rotel Room:
                                  Rotel Processor (didnt get number, looked like 1069?)
                                  Rotel 1077 Amp
                                  Rotel DVD Player
                                  Debut of B&W CT700 Speakers

Room was very noisy and bright, but very involving. I felt it was too loud for my tastes.

Classe/ B&W
                                  B&W CT8.4 L/C/R
                                  DS8 for surrounds and rears
                                  Omega Omnicron for center
                                  Omega Mono L/R
                                  2xCA-2100 for surrounds
                                  PioneerBDP-95FD
                                  CDP-502

Impression: Very nice. If you like classe and b&w, you will love this sound. I was highly impressed by the CT 8.4's, more so than I expected.

There were 2 meridian rooms, but I don't know enough about Meridian to say what the speakers were. I'll try and get that info when I go back tomorrow. 1 room was bookshelf, 1 room was floor stander. The big room apparently was not dialed into the DSP settings, so the big room will be a return visit. The big room also included a monster projector and a pair of the big JL Audio subs. Not descriptive, but I'm tired. I have pictures to share when I get home.

I did not make it to see the room with the Maggies and 103 runco plasma, but it was there. I'll see it tomorrow.
                                  It was just a darn pleasure to meet you...!!!
                                  That is one fun event (Definitive Audio) they do a great job entertaining the masses and providing an excellent forum for new gear...

Can't even believe James Dean was not there... what gives James..? :W

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
                                    That is one fun event (Definitive Audio) they do a great job entertaining the masses and providing an excellent forum for new gear...

Always a pleasure Andrew! :P

I wished I could have been there. It was plain dumb luck that Dan was able to go. I don't know if he explained it all to you but the odds of him being there are unfathomable. It was one of those once in a life time events when all the planets were lining up in his favor. It was a big "NO-WAY-WOW" situation. :E

Comment

• alebonau
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

I use to live in Seattle great company and great stores?

I find interesting to read this about Classé main competition:The Denon AVP-A1HDCI

Conclusion

The Denon AVP-A1HDCI represents bleeding edge technology that only a select few manufacturers can compete with regardless of price. This processor truly is a master of all domains. It’s not cheap to own this combo set from Denon, but such is the case with statement pieces and first implementers of new technologies. It’s a bit difficult to quantify its value as compared to their very own AVR-5308CI A/V receiver, it seems to be overpriced since the latter does mostly everything this processor does albeit maybe not as elegantly. But when you compare it to other more expensive “high end” processors, many of which don’t offer video processing and upscaling, room correction, or TrueHD / DTS HD decoding, it seems to be quite a bargain.

If you’re looking for the very best home theater separates solution, I highly recommend considering the Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre/pro and POA-A1HDCI ten channel power amp. While their model #’s aren’t impressive sounding, and the associated name doesn’t quite have the prestige of a Levinson or Krell, you can rest assured the Denon products have it where it counts in performance and features and are pound for pound a better value than virtually all of the super high end products on the market. From its Realta video processing engine, to its sophisticated Audyssey room correction, top notch construction and component usage, you’re getting Mercedes level performance and refinement at Acura prices. Your high end audio snob friends may snicker at this system, especially since they likely spent 2-3 times more for hollow boxes, but I suggest humbling yourself by saying nothing. You don’t want everyone driving the same car you’re driving, do you?
                                      very comprehensive review of the denon from Gene DellaSala on audioholics there

love this part...

"Your high end audio snob friends may snicker at this system, especially since they likely spent 2-3 times more for hollow boxes, but I suggest humbling yourself by saying nothing. You don’t want everyone driving the same car you’re driving, do you?"

:B

great sense of humour there

anyways good to see one of the classe units out in the wild there. even if htere were no comparitive demoes.

good to see classe is givign people the opportunity to experience the unit prior to release
                                      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward

Thanks Andrew! It was a great night. It was a welcomed surprise that I was able to meet you (and your brother - although he and I have VERY different opinions on audio. isn't it a great hobby to be able to agree to disagree?). I'm still recoverying from being up so late, as my body is still on east coast time.

Looking forward to tonight.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2003

Some things to add on the SSP-800:

Auto-calibration: It was included in the DSP onboard the SSP-300 and SSP-600. It was not on the one used for the SSP-800 so Classe would have created it. They opted not to.

Status of the Dual DSP: They have it in house for testing, BUT the person who will work on the integration is the same person who is finishing up the SSP-800 and trying to get it shipping. Don't expect it until late this year, early next year.

North American certifications are wrapping up (HDMI, Dolby, DTS, etc.) and they are doing some final work on the code.

There is one issue that they are resolving for European spec certification and they think it will be resolved soon. It may mean they ship to US a little early, but they don't see it as a big issue and won't hold up the european product by much.

He would not commit to a ship date, but said the dealers are chompin at the bits for the product. They are building product and hope to fill the back orders (90 to US around 120 outside US) quickly. They are just as excited to get it out as we are to have it.

The multi-zone capability is NOT independent. That was a feature of the SSP-900, but they took it out for reduced complexity and cost.

They are interested in Dolby Volume, but have yet to receive information on whether the hardware will support it. If it will, they will add it as soon as time provides.

They don't currently plan a Blu-Ray player. They just don't think they can make one that would be profitable. Keep in mind licensing to make one from Sony is 1.5Million.

Expect a new announcement of a previously un-mentioned product to be announced at CEDIA.

There are no current plans to extend the Omega line and they will probably discontinue selling it in the next few years.
                                          Last edited by sikoniko; 23 June 2008, 14:22 Monday.

Comment

• wettou
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • May 2006

Some things to add on the SSP-800: Auto-calibration: It was included in the DSP onboard the SSP-300 and SSP-600. It was not on the one used for the SSP-800 so Classe would have created it. They opted not to.
                                            Too bad! It's unbelievable since they are charging $3000 more for the SSP-800

Status of the Dual DSP: They have it in house for testing, BUT the person who will work on the integration is the same person who is finishing up the SSP-800 and trying to get it shipping. Don't expect it until late this year, early next year.
                                            One person!!! That seems crazy for a company of that size! What if he/she gets hit by a bus then goodbye SSP-800? Talk about poor risk management, I guess he should ask for a mega raise then .

Well, I guess I will wait until year end or early next year once the SSP-800 finally ships with decoding capability for new codecs.

They don't currently plan a Blu-Ray player. They just don't think they can make one that would be profitable. Keep in mind licensing to make one from Sony is 1.5Million.
                                            Whoa that expensive he! I guess at $5000 a player Classé would only have to sell 300 players, actually 600 since the dealer price would be $3000. I wonder how many SSP-800 they will sell?

Expect a new announcement of a previously un-mentioned product to be announced at CES.
                                            Hum, a new turntable or an SSP-400 to replace the 300

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

Too bad! It's unbelievable since they are charging $3000 more for the SSP-800
                                              No offense, but are you too lazy to do it manually? I know you have mentioned that you don't care when they release it and you will wait, but the rest of us would prefer a shorter dev time and more time in our houses.

One person!!! That seems crazy for a company of that size! What if he/she gets hit by a bus then goodbye SSP-800? Talk about poor risk management, I guess he should ask for a mega raise then .
                                              How big do you think Classe is? There is a team that works on the product, but there would be people that work on different functions.

Well, I guess I will wait until year end or early next year once the SSP-800 finally ships with decoding capability for new codecs.
                                              more power to you. I'll just say that I heard the SSP-800 with DTS-MA this week without the Dual DSP.

Whoa that expensive he! I guess at $5000 a player Classé would only have to sell 300 players, actually 600 since the dealer price would be $3000. I wonder how many SSP-800 they will sell?
                                              That doesn't take into account dev/test/manufacture costs.

Hum, a new turntable or an SSP-400 to replace the 300
                                              I doubt it. The SSP-700, which was the follow-up to the 300, was cancelled.

Its logical to imagine a series two of everything they have in the delta series. Its just the way the industry works. He gave no indication to the replacement of the CP-700 anytime soon, and specifically said even with the release of the SSP-800, the CP-700 still has a market. They are actively pushing their CDP/ CDT products as THE solution for 2 channel / SD DVDs over using BD players as up-converters.

He also alluded to further development with B&W integration, but nothing that was specifically planned, or at least willing to share at this time.

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

No offense, but are you too lazy to do it manually? I know you have mentioned that you don't care when they release it and you will wait, but the rest of us would prefer a shorter dev time and more time in our houses. How big do you think Classe is? There is a team that works on the product, but there would be people that work on different functions.
                                                more power to you. I'll just say that I heard the SSP-800 with DTS-MA this week without the Dual DSP. That doesn't take into account dev/test/manufacture costs.
                                                Any one know how many people Classé employs?

Also it is not because you are a believer that we all need to be. "The earth is not flat" This seems to me like religion, stop preaching!! I am in this HOBBY for Fun not to compare size and do not need to be converted. Also being a mathematician I like fact and rational rather than beliefs.

To each is own :B

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2003

Also it is not because you are a believer that we all need to be. "The earth is not flat" This seems to me like religion, stop preaching!! I am in this HOBBY for Fun not to compare size and do not need to be converted. Also being a mathematician I like fact and rational rather than beliefs.

I never said anyone had to be a "believer". BTW, I've heard the SSP-800 and I know it is good. Can you say the same?

the purpose of this thread is to discuss the SSP-800 and you continue to talk about the Denon. I believe there is another thread for the Denon. Please quit insulting people because they like the Classe piece and you are undecided.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Oct 2005

~
                                                    well atleast two in the marketting department :rofl: :B

~

dont waste your time wettou. there will be some that will never understand 8)

I never said anyone had to be a "believer". BTW, I've heard the SSP-800 and I know it is good. Can you say the same?

did you hear the ssp800 vs anything else to compare or have some frame of reference ?

~

the purpose of this thread is to discuss the SSP-800 and you continue to talk about the Denon. I believe there is another thread for the Denon. Please quit insulting people because they like the Classe piece and you are undecided.
                                                    I didnt see wettou insult anyone, not that is not your call as to what he is allowed to post...

if wettou is undecided and wondering how this ssp800 here compares vs an existing competitor product in the denon I dont see what is wrong in his posting on the topic.

not everyone just looks at one product brand in isolation excludign all others. most people shop around and look at all available alternatives to make a purchasing decision.

Comment

• Z Man
                                                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by alebonau

I didnt see wettou insult anyone, not that is not your call as to what he is allowed to post...

if wettou is undecided and wondering how this ssp800 here compares vs an existing competitor product in the denon I dont see what is wrong in his posting on the topic.

not everyone just looks at one product brand in isolation excludign all others. most people shop around and look at all available alternatives to make a purchasing decision.
                                                      Agreed, I also didn't see wettou insult anyone, he's just weighing out his options right now.
                                                      My Martin Logan Theater
                                                      My DVD Collection
                                                      My CD Collection

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2003

Take it for what you will, but this is an accusation. I never said anyone had to think anything. I am not preaching.

I like the Classe product. I have evaluated other products. Maybe not the ones you want me to evaluate, but I have evaluated others sufficiently to make my own decision. Why do you, and a few others feel impowered to criticize me for having made my decision? I don't care if you buy the Classe or the Denon. I'm not paying for yours, and I will probably never hear your room. Yet, because I like this one product over another, some of you feel as though you are some authority in your "clique" to gang up against those of us who want the Classe over any other brand.

The purpose of this thread is the "Official SSP-800 Thread". NOT Classe vs. the world. The product and the spec's speak for themselves.

I don't have to defend my decisions or qualify them to anyone except my wife.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2003

well atleast two in the marketting department :rofl: :B
                                                          you know, I've always heard that people that talk bad about others only do this because they are too insecure of themselves. I think you are proving that point.

did you hear the ssp800 vs anything else to compare or have some frame of reference ?
                                                          In a direct A/B during this visit. No. BUT, I have A/B'd the SSP-600 to others directly, and my criteria was that if it did everything the 600 did, I would be happy. My initial impression, based on a different environment is that it has the potential to exceed what I had before. I know my environment well enough to understand how it will translate, and that I will be happy.

fair enough, if you wish, we can get the mods involved to decide. Are you taunting me as such? You feel you have to be a big bully? Are you one of the "cool kids" for picking on someone who knows what they want?

there are other threads that are for comparing products. this one is about the SSP-800 alone. Please, stay on topic.

You are naive to think that I have not shopped previously, or that I didn't have an open mind even at this event. I think you are not happy with your decision, and it is killing you to see someone who is. I am not attacking wettou. He is a fellow Classe owner, and lover.

What is frustrating to me, in his case, is probably the same coin, only the opposite side that is frustrating him.

If you have something productive to the topic, then please join.

If you like it, then great. If you don't, fine. I don't care one way or the other.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Z Man
                                                            Agreed, I also didn't see wettou insult anyone, he's just weighing out his options right now.
                                                            Not exactly. The remarks are insinuating that one's bias is based strictly on a set of beliefs which is not an accurate portrayal of the situation. It was believed that the SSP-800 would perform well, true, but those beliefs were predicated on a set of qualified values. These values include past personal experiences and the company's history of product development. Now that the SSP-800 has seen the light of day the beliefs can be supported by observable evidence. Acceptance or denial is left to the reader but the realities of the situation can no longer be disputed. The SSP-800 is the real deal. (Side note: According to most other Definitive Audio attendees, that have no biases towards or against Classe', thought it was the best sound in the house.)

As for weighing in options, wettou has none at the moment. He has taken the opposing view on every processor up for consideration. This is not a criticism but the observations thus far have shown that he doesn't know what he wants. This thread is clearly for those that do. That would be the best in audio and nothing but.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

well atleast two in the marketting department.
                                                              On the troll again I see. :rofl:

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Oct 2005

you know, I've always heard that people that talk bad about others only do this because they are too insecure of themselves. I think you are proving that point.

In a direct A/B during this visit. No. BUT, I have A/B'd the SSP-600 to others directly, and my criteria was that if it did everything the 600 did, I would be happy. My initial impression, based on a different environment is that it has the potential to exceed what I had before. I know my environment well enough to understand how it will translate, and that I will be happy.

fair enough, if you wish, we can get the mods involved to decide. Are you taunting me as such? You feel you have to be a big bully? Are you one of the "cool kids" for picking on someone who knows what they want?

there are other threads that are for comparing products. this one is about the SSP-800 alone. Please, stay on topic.

You are naive to think that I have not shopped previously, or that I didn't have an open mind even at this event. I think you are not happy with your decision, and it is killing you to see someone who is. I am not attacking wettou. He is a fellow Classe owner, and lover.

What is frustrating to me, in his case, is probably the same coin, only the opposite side that is frustrating him.

If you have something productive to the topic, then please join.

If you like it, then great. If you don't, fine. I don't care one way or the other.
                                                                actaully think your a pretty decent sort sinoko, as evidenced by yoru efforts to actually go out and check out the stuff and report back rather than jsut get in a lather based on some marketting waffle.

my point was jsut to perhaps try and appreciate that the likes of wettou and many others (be they classe owners or not ! ) in their search might evaluate and have in their interest more than one candidate. often it is a good thing too as then can come to some conclusions based on some comparitive judgements rather than be blinkered in approach. Need to approach it with an open mind after all, otherwise its only preconceived notions trapped in a closed mind, sadly. :W something hopefully that can be appreciated from others perspective

Comment

• sc2
                                                                  • Feb 2008

The multi-zone capability is NOT independent. That was a feature of the SSP-900, but they took it out for reduced complexity and cost.

This isin't good, it really messes with my plans. Now I am going to have to rethink things... :roll:

Can someone verify this?

Steve
                                                                  Steve

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by sc2
                                                                    This isin't good, it really messes with my plans. Now I am going to have to rethink things... :roll:

Can someone verify this?

Steve
                                                                    Consider it verified. Word comes straight from Dave Nauber. My plans were messed up too.

Comment

• merlinus
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2008

The multi-zone capability is NOT independent.
                                                                      What exactly does this mean, please?
                                                                      merlin

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2003

it means you cant watch a movie in your theater room while your wife is listening to audio from a seperate source in the kitchen. only that you can pump the movie into the kitchen.

Comment

• Z Man
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Jan 2008

Not exactly. The remarks are insinuating that one's bias is based strictly on a set of beliefs which is not an accurate portrayal of the situation. It was believed that the SSP-800 would perform well, true, but those beliefs were predicated on a set of qualified values. These values include past personal experiences and the company's history of product development. Now that the SSP-800 has seen the light of day the beliefs can be supported by observable evidence. Acceptance or denial is left to the reader but the realities of the situation can no longer be disputed. The SSP-800 is the real deal. (Side note: According to most other Definitive Audio attendees, that have no biases towards or against Classe', thought it was the best sound in the house.)

As for weighing in options, wettou has none at the moment. He has taken the opposing view on every processor up for consideration. This is not a criticism but the observations thus far have shown that he doesn't know what he wants. This thread is clearly for those that do. That would be the best in audio and nothing but.
                                                                          I definitely see your point. And I have to say you're right.

Thanks for chiming in.
                                                                          My Martin Logan Theater
                                                                          My DVD Collection
                                                                          My CD Collection

Comment

• sc2
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Feb 2008
                                                                            • 65

Consider it verified. Word comes straight from Dave Nauber. My plans were messed up too.
                                                                            Unforutantly, Mr. Nauber credibity as what he' speaks is not worth alot to me. He has consistantly lied about release of the SSP-800, therefore I take what he says with a grain of salt.

I still would like other confirmation...

Hey Rebelman or anybody, Can you get a current feature sheet from them, or a brochuer or something... or have it verified thru another member of the Classe team.

Thanks Steve
                                                                            Steve

Comment

• merlinus
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2008
                                                                              • 113

A leaflet (pdf) is available at the classe website. The link to it is on the frontpage towards the bottom.

It includes specs, photos, etc.
                                                                              merlin

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

For those of you who are wondering, I love Classé, I am just very critical and still think that they should have included the minimum features on the SSP-800 then Classé would be king of the hill no contest!

I am the first on my Dealer list to demo the SSP-800 as soon as he receive it and if I like it, I will order it as soon as Classé incorporates the new codec, I love blu ray and I feel I am missing half the experience as sound is one and video two.

Hope that settles it.:T

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 3139

For those of you who are wondering, I love Classé, I am just very critical and still think that they should have included the minimum features on the SSP-800 then Classé would be king of the hill no contest!
                                                                                  Some features are primarily meant only for mediocre systems, which your's isn't.

I am the first on my Dealer list to demo the SSP-800 as soon as he receive it and if I like it, I will order it as soon as Classé incorporates the new codec, I love blu ray and I feel I am missing half the experience as sound is one and video two.
                                                                                  Unless you have a player that cannot decode the new audio formats it makes no sense to wait for the dual-DSP SSP-800, assuming the demo goes well for you. Plan on waiting until next year if you are going to insist on it. Waiting six months for what amounts to nothing more than audio reprimand on your ears is cruel and unusual punishment. 8)

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 3139

Originally posted by sc2
                                                                                    Hey Rebelman or anybody, Can you get a current feature sheet from them, or a brochuer or something... or have it verified thru another member of the Classe team.
                                                                                    It's true. The SSP-900 included dual independent zones because it had two mono-DSP boards whereas the SSP-800 will have one dual-DSP board and thus dual dependent zones because of the common system bus that the dual-DSPs will share.

Comment

• rompower
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2008
                                                                                      • 241

Just received an email from Classé and.. well...

"We are nearing the end of June and it is no longer certain that we will be shipping units this month. We understand our duty to keep our customers informed about the progress of the SSP-800, and have a particular obligation to customers like you have pre-ordered.

We are therefore preparing an update on the unit that will be posted on our website. I would therefore ask you to check our website early next week.

Please be assured that we are working hard in order to ensure that you do not have long to wait."

Anxious to see the "update" :P

Comment

• taker
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2005
                                                                                        • 21

I would like to know why only 4 HDMi inputs , I need six but it not a deal breaker for me , I don't think

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                                          • 2299

Originally posted by taker
                                                                                          I would like to know why only 4 HDMi inputs , I need six but it not a deal breaker for me , I don't think
                                                                                          heh. I said a similar thing.. too bad I didn't think of it when I was talking to Dave.. It would have been too late to make a change though...

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                                            • 2299

Just received an email from Classé and.. well...

"We are nearing the end of June and it is no longer certain that we will be shipping units this month. We understand our duty to keep our customers informed about the progress of the SSP-800, and have a particular obligation to customers like you have pre-ordered.

We are therefore preparing an update on the unit that will be posted on our website. I would therefore ask you to check our website early next week.

Please be assured that we are working hard in order to ensure that you do not have long to wait."

Anxious to see the "update" :P

Thats rather ambiguous and leaves a lot to the imagination...July is next Tuesday though.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"