X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swd
    • Oct 2013

Statements Step by Step file for a newbie

Hi guys,

i want to give a shot to the Statements and i was wondering if there is a step by step file with pictures somewhere?

Thanks!
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by swd
    Hi guys,

i want to give a shot to the Statements and i was wondering if there is a step by step file with pictures somewhere?

Thanks!
    I don't think there's an official build guide but there are many threads here and in the Mission Accomplished forum that provide excellent documentation of Statements builds by dozens of members. Search and ye shall find.

Jim

Comment

• GPHammer
      • Jul 2010

You can also post specific questions as you build, there are enough members (myself included) who have built the statements and would be happy to follow your build and answer your questions.

Gregg

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

It's not a step by step, but my old build thread might help ya out: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...ents-7-1-Build

Good luck!
        -Chuck

Comment

• fschris
          • Apr 2013

I cant wait to build the mini statements my self. I will be watching your build!

Comment

• BeerParty
            • Oct 2008

Also not a step-by-step, but my build may be useful.
            Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
            My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• john trials
              • Mar 2009

I have quite a bit of information in my build thread: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...tatement-build

One thing that is not in the dimensioned prints is the need to cut reliefs in the mid tunnels so there is some clearance for the tweeters (post #2 in my build thread). I also found that using two pins (I used short pieces cut from a bicycle spoke) to mount the baffles (while building) was helpful. I could pin the baffles into place to make sure that everything was correct (cutouts, chamfers, crossover position, wiring, etc) before gluing, and the alignment of the baffles was repeatable and accurate each time I mounted them. I also kept the two baffle pieces (1/2" and 3/4" thick sections) separate until the final gluing. By keeping the baffles separate, I was able to make really deep/large chamfers behind the drivers.

Also, when making the crossovers, leave plenty of open space around each resistor (don't crowd them). Resistors need to dissipate heat, so open airflow is important.

And start working out. Statements are heavy, and a pain in the butt to move around.
              Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• mikela
                • Mar 2008

Here's mine http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...tatement-Build

Comment

• swd
                  • Oct 2013

Sounds like this forum will be a good help for me… I bought almost everything i need last week-end and i should start the build this week when i have time. I certainly have plenty of questions. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• swd
                    • Oct 2013

Here i go, opening a beer and i'm ready to start cutting every pieces, there should be a lot of dust in the garage at the end!

I'm interested to know how the Statements sounds with Rock music?
                    Do all of you guys listened to classic/jazz music?

Comment

• swd
                      • Oct 2013

I guess i will find out by myself for Rock music!

The cabinet are done, it was pretty easy and a lot of fun!
                      Time to do the baffle, which is the hardest part to do for me…
                      I need to build a jig to create circle…
                      What is the depth for the drivers?

I had a mdf sheet which was damage a bit, i didn't want to return it to the store so i used it anyway, can i use "gyproc plaster" (not sure how to say this in english) to patch the scratches?
                      Last edited by swd; 10 December 2013, 18:45 Tuesday.

Comment

• swd
                        • Oct 2013

Well i readed somewhere that 1/4" deep with a seal is okay… I guess this is okay.

Couples of questions
                        1. if i install the flare in the back, do i need a 3X4 flare anyway, does the length is still important?
                        2. How do you call the little pieces of metal to screw the drivers in?
                        3. Which exact model/lenght/size of screws do i need to buy?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by swd
                          Well i readed somewhere that 1/4" deep with a seal is okay… I guess this is okay.

Couples of questions
                          1. if i install the flare in the back, do i need a 3X4 flare anyway, does the length is still important?
                          2. How do you call the little pieces of metal to screw the drivers in?
                          3. Which exact model/lenght/size of screws do i need to buy?
                          The reason no one responded is because we don't have a RS225 in front of us to measure the rim thickness. Measuring the diameter and the thickness of the driver for the recess/cutouts is part of the cabinet building process in DIY.

OK, here are the answers to your questions;

1. Yes, the port flares and length are identical whether its front, back or bottom ported. The length is determined by the driver and cabinet size.

2. I don't use hurricane nuts. They're great until one comes loose and you can't get the driver out. I run a 3/32" pilot hole for the screws and then just use screws to hold the drivers.

3. I use #8 x 1" screws from PE. I buy them by the 100's since they're cheap. You can also get them at any home store.

Jim

Comment

• swd
                            • Oct 2013

thanks Jim.

i didn't have the RS225 in hands, that's why i asked.
                            i found the specs on the Dayton website.

Comment

• GPHammer
                              • Jul 2010

As for rock music, that is essentially all I listen to, Pearl Jam, Van Halen, Ozzy, Zeppelin, Stones (Gimme Shelter was the first song I played on my full size statements). These speakers are truly amazing, good recordings sound incredible, bad recording sound like bad recordings, sorry, no way around that.
                              I have the Emotiva XPA-5, they play so loud and clear you will be amazed.

Gregg

Comment

• swd
                                • Oct 2013

Good to hear that Gregg, i have an XPA-3, so i'm alright!

Thanks!
                                Pat

Comment

• swd
                                  • Oct 2013

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran 2013-12-11 à 15.02.20.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	858801

One thing i didn't saw on any thread is someone who replaced the Erse Super Q 7.0mH 16 AWG 500W Inductor by something similar…
                                  I can't order from Part Express here, to much freight/custom fees…
                                  So i went to a store about an hour from here, they gave me a similar inductor, i'm really not into this, so i did trust them.
                                  Almost every parts are similar to the list from PE (except for the drivers, which are the same),
                                  but the part i'm not sure is the Erse Super Q which was replace by :
                                  Manufacturer : SOLEN
                                  Reference : S166.8
                                  Summary : 6.8mH 16awg, 1.01ohms DCR, 25mm H x 102mm D.

If someone could confirm me that will work before i start assembling the crossover, that would be much appreciated….

Pat

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by swd

One thing i didn't saw on any thread is someone who replaced the Erse Super Q 7.0mH 16 AWG 500W Inductor by something similar…
                                    I can't order from Part Express here, to much freight/custom fees…
                                    So i went to a store about an hour from here, they gave me a similar inductor, i'm really not into this, so i did trust them.
                                    Almost every parts are similar to the list from PE (except for the drivers, which are the same),
                                    but the part i'm not sure is the Erse Super Q which was replace by :
                                    Manufacturer : SOLEN
                                    Reference : S166.8
                                    Summary : 6.8mH 16awg, 1.01ohms DCR, 25mm H x 102mm D.

If someone could confirm me that will work before i start assembling the crossover, that would be much appreciated….

Pat
                                    My only concern is the DCR of your replacement. The Erse is .297 vs 1.01 of the replacement. That combined with the 7.0 vs 6.8 will alter the crossover. Curt would need to jump in to voice an opinion on the amount of impact. Shoot him an email for clarification.

Jim

Comment

• swd
                                      • Oct 2013

Name:	solen.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	858802

Since i'm now afraid that my parts are maybe not what i need, i think i will share my parts list, so if Curt have a chance, maybe he could give a look to it… ops:

Comment

• swd
                                        • Oct 2013

Parts list

Name:	Parts replacement.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	858803

Comment

• Curt C
                                          • Feb 2005

Pat,

Sorry, I never received your email. If it got lost in the mix please accept my apologies.

OK, I've just spent the last 15 min. trying to find a place in Canada that sells cored inductors, but my attempt was fruitless. Surely someone up their carries/makes them? –If not: Boy! I’ve got a niche market for some enterprising soul up in the Great White North.

Using the Solen inductor they supplied you would result in about a 2 dB drop in woofer response, which would be pretty audible, and result in unacceptable performance I’m afraid.

Solen does make a 10 ga. air core with a DCR acceptable for this project, but they are CAD$145.00 each. While they would work just fine, this thrifty Scot would have a very hard time justifying the expense.

If there is no Canadian cored inductor source, you may have to bite the bullet on this one and buy American. -Or get some transformer laminate and wind your own...

C
                                          Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• swd
                                            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Curt C
                                            Pat,

Sorry, I never received your email. If it got lost in the mix please accept my apologies.

OK, I've just spent the last 15 min. trying to find a place in Canada that sells cored inductors, but my attempt was fruitless. Surely someone up their carries/makes them? –If not: Boy! I’ve got a niche market for some enterprising soul up in the Great White North.

Using the Solen inductor they supplied you would result in about a 2 dB drop in woofer response, which would be pretty audible, and result in unacceptable performance I’m afraid.

Solen does make a 10 ga. air core with a DCR acceptable for this project, but they are CAD$145.00 each. While they would work just fine, this thrifty Scot would have a very hard time justifying the expense.

If there is no Canadian cored inductor source, you may have to bite the bullet on this one and buy American. -Or get some transformer laminate and wind your own...

C
                                            thanks for the quick reply Curt!
                                            I will order from PE, i have no other choice, i did search for this part in Canada without luck.
                                            Could you confirm me that the other parts will be okay?

Once again, thank you

Comment

• GPHammer
                                              • Jul 2010

I am in the same boat as you, also a Canuck.
                                              PE usually gives you 3 shipping options, I take the cheapest which includes all duties, taxes and freight. Overall I still think it is the best way to go and quick.

Gregg

Comment

• Curt C
                                                • Feb 2005

I've just went through the parts list Pat, and everything outside of that 6.8 mH air core looks fine. The minor value changes in the caps and resistors are just well within the margin of error, so will pose no issues, and the other inductors will also be acceptable. The Canadian source for the 7.0 cored inductor you found is spot on as well. I wish you well and a warm workshop as you continue your build.

-Speaking of warm, If you and your fellow Canadians would all simultaneously exhale and push that arctic air over the pole to Siberia, we here in the lower 48 would be ever so grateful!

C

Comment

• swd
                                                  • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Curt C
                                                  I've just went through the parts list Pat, and everything outside of that 6.8 mH air core looks fine. The minor value changes in the caps and resistors are just well within the margin of error, so will pose no issues, and the other inductors will also be acceptable. The Canadian source for the 7.0 cored inductor you found is spot on as well. I wish you well and a warm workshop as you continue your build.

-Speaking of warm, If you and your fellow Canadians would all simultaneously exhale and push that arctic air over the pole to Siberia, we here in the lower 48 would be ever so grateful!

C
                                                  Thanks again Curt!

BTW, it is minus 31 celcius here right now! :icecream:

Comment

• Curt C
                                                    • Feb 2005

We are experiencing a heat wave today here on the wind blown Nebraska prairie. -7 C presently, and might even get up above freezing today.
                                                    arty:Whoo! Hoo! Break out the tee-shirts and flip flops!arty:

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"