This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinlin1013
    • Dec 2010

Wow a dome driver with 180.2cm² SD is really impressive!

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Peerless has done some big ones, but not that far... OTOY, the rear resonance issue is not very impressive, and really limits the application area for the part.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• duvixan
        • Sep 2012

A cheap alternative to Bliesma's 3" dome perhaps?

Comment

• technodanvan
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

I don't know why, but a big dome just speaks to me this morning. Maybe coupled with an Epique 7" and the baby RAAL in a standmount with RSS210-PR(s)?
          - Danny

Comment

• duvixan
            • Sep 2012

An attempt on another forum

Click image for larger version

Name:	xjuvkli26yg4.jpg
Views:	1031
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	940266

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by duvixan
              A cheap alternative to Bliesma's 3" dome perhaps?
              https://www.parts-express.com/HiVi-D...470?quantity=1
              Ok, I think I'm getting cynical enough that sometimes I start thinking like ET- or maybe it's just my experience with the Dayton RS52 and the last project I considered using it on, and had to do an about face?

Let's take a brief look at some of the data...

Name:	HiVi DM-7500.png
Views:	1019
Size:	799.2 KB
ID:	940273
              Now, manufacturers will often soften up the SPL plot with substantial smoothing, but it seems they rarely think about the impedance plot (fortunately), which is what I FIRST look at for a new driver...

Those wiggles at 900 Hz and 1500Hz might be diagnostic of resonances in surround or other areas, or standing waves in the cavity. Or might not. Hard to say. But a data sheet lacking so much basic information REALLY doesn't give me a warm fuzzy... Xmax anyone?

OTOH, this plot gives me fairly good confidence in just what we're getting...

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 1.35.58 PM.png
Views:	1016
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	940274

Of course, we're paying for that information as well as for the performance.

​​​​​​​I do intend to update my Ardent D's with these when some of the other stuff is done and there's a bit more spare change under the sofa cushions...

​​​​​​​Now, if I really wanted to try to low buck it, maybe I'd consider the Visaton DSM50 titanium dome midrange- I know where I can get these for under $90 each, and I'm more a hard dome than soft dome kind of guy.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 1.41.54 PM.png
Views:	1002
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	940275

But I'd be cautious about this part, too, and how low I'd try to run it.

The thing about three ways, and midrange drivers, is the crossover cost goes up quite a bit. Doesn't mean it's not worth it, but all the issues need to be considered carefully - like, would you get more bang for the buck putting the money somewhere else?

And at this point, for a high tech midrange driver, I'm really itching to hear the GRS5010 in a good setup before trying other parts.

the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• duvixan
                • Sep 2012

I've been wondering why the SMJ-40 project took priority over the Isiris (or, at least, I got that impression)
                Is it the PT5010 that makes it so special?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

The Isiris is nearly complete, may have some minor tweaks yet for the midrange crossover, and I do mean minor.

As explained briefly previously, this system concept with 4 LF drivers was started some time ago- originally conceived with the Epique E180HE-44. The reasoning was several benefits from a "mini" line array-
                  • Narrow front width with smaller diameter drivers and baffle step moved up in frequency
                  • Larger vertical source minimizes floor bounce response effects- often this is sought after by careful positioning of two woofers, but experiments have proved to me that that is just part of the way there. Four are better.
                  • A 4x series parallel array will have the same impedance as one driver, but will have an efficiency gain of 6 dB. These concepts were being investigate for the Saint-Saëns NALA two way line array.

However, having bought 4 E180HE-44 and tested them, I found that though the motor was very low distortion at 100Hz and below, as others have reported, the HD3 steadily rises above that, most likely due to inductivity modulation, as the actual cone excursion is decreasing with increasing frequency.

Name:	QuasiNF + Disto 28L.png
Views:	999
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	941030

This "disqualified" it for a woofer to low midrange application, in my opinion. At that point I shifted to the RSS210HF after evaluating quite a few other 7" and 8" woofers.

There were several other potential candidates for the midrange, besides the GRS PT5010, but I had established in my mind that I wanted something as free of resonances impacting the lower frequencies and their distortion behavior, especially after working on the Isiris and beating the 6.5" Purify Midrange into submission. Some Faital and Eighteen Sound drivers were under serious consideration.

​​​​​​​Then, Steve sent me the YouTube video about the introduction of the PS Audio FRS30, and at that point I figured I'd better take a closer look at the GRS planar drivers derived from the technology obtained from B&G. I hadn't been initially terribly thrilled by the data sheet information.

Key point for the PT5010 and PT2522 is that the achievable performance is very dependent on the rear enclosure volume, and I conducted multiple experiments with both before finding a configuration with the PT5010 that I was really happy with.

Around that time, the HiFi News test report came out for the FR30 system. They are a sister publication to Stereophile, owned by the same holding company, and now using similar testing procedures. The results in the presence region and top end did not exactly thrill me...

Name:	fetch?id=933540&d=1680623783.png
Views:	963
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	941031

But they didn't surprise me, either, given the results I'd had with 4 configurations for the PT2522.

For another project, I'd been evaluating the Beyma TPL75, and I liked what I was seeing, and of course, unlike dome tweeters, there is no upper end resonance to speak of to induce resonance amplification of distortion projects.

With my 4th effort for the GRS PT5010, I was able to get the bandpass characteristic I wanted with fairly low distortion...

Name:	fetch?id=934177&d=1682954255.png
Views:	958
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	941032

And the polar behavior was very satisfactory in the nominal operating range:

Name:	fetch?id=934178&d=1682954346.png
Views:	959
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	941033

A POC system crossover with adjustments to the Z axis location produced very good results, with very deep reverse null behavior, and an early test of the POC crossovers for just the midrange and tweeter in a very non-optimum cabinet configuration confirmed the basics:

Name:	fetch?id=936430&d=1683833853.png
Views:	944
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	941034

So, this system and the CC Supreme are the ones receiving current development and build efforts- in the case of the Saint-Saëns Planar, the cabinet designs are being refined and parts in the process of being fabricated.

The CC Supreme test cabinet is finished, the initial asymmetric minimum phase low group delay midrange (PuriFi 6.5" midrange) to tweeter Beyma TPL105H AMT) crossover has been built and tested and performed as expected based on VituixCAD simulation, and the LF crossover is being fabricated. This system could also be converted to a tower three way with larger cabinets for the PuriFi 8" woofers and passive radiators. A test build is planned in the future, presuming the CC works out as expected. This will probably be called something unimaginative like the "PuriFi-Beyma Ardent Supreme". Clever names aren't my forte...

the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

I continue to find "goodies" in my CA long term storage- one box in particular from Parts Express caught my attention, because it was about the right size for an 8-10" woofer, but didn't weigh nearly enough...

Name:	Mystery half dozen.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	578.5 KB
ID:	941036

Hmmm, interesting... now, if only...

Name:	NIB Vintage RS52AN.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	792.8 KB
ID:	941037

Voila!!

Name:	IMG_3849.gif
Views:	931
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	941043

Vintage NIB (New In Box) RS52AN dome midranges!

So, is my memory correct, and they didn't have the big surround impedance bump that the ones bought in 2021 had? Last time I used these in a successful system design was the NeoD CC center channel...

That system as measured with an updated test setup, there is no evidence of the midrange resonance aberration of the 2021 samples...

Name:	NeoD-ThomasW.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	941038

The quick "acid test" would be to measure and compare the impedance curves...

The VNIB RS52AN, measured this morning:

Name:	VNIB RS52AN.png
Views:	943
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	941039

One of the 2021 samples:

Name:	RS52AN 2021.png
Views:	959
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	941040

I'd say that's a smoking gun...

Well, I'll need to make a test baffle and test the SPL response for one, and verify all as regards impedance curves, but this opens up some possibilities:
                    • In moving my Ardent D's, the EM1308, which have no protective grilles, have been damaged, that is, the dome deformed. It should be some relatively simple crossover changes (removing a notch filter, possibly adjusting level slightly) to sub these in.
                    • A small HT mains had been under consideration as a follow up to the NeoD CC, but upgrading from the HiVi D6.8 to the Jantzen JA-6012 3" voice coil 6.5" woofers. As hoped for, those turned up too... to make that system a "old home reunion" week project, I should use the Visaton KE 25 SC ceramic tweeter with the Visaton W148R waveguides, right? Blast from the past?

Name:	IMG_7949.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	941041

Name:	IMG_7950.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	941042

The possibilities....

🤣

the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• duvixan
                      • Sep 2012

I'm thinking about a scaled down version of SMJ-40 (for our small euro apts), with PT6825
                      GRS PT6825-8 8" Planar Mid/Tweeter 8 OhmGRS PT6825-8 8" Planar Mid/Tweeter 8 OhmDesigned to deliver high efficiency with extremely smooth response.With the ability to provide low distortion output from 500-20,000 Hz, the GRS PT6825-8 open back midrange/tweeter is an excellent choice for use in 2-way designs or even as a drop in replacement in many existing systems. The open-back design gives this tweeter true dipole radiation making it the perfect choice for use in open baffle speaker designs.Key Specs: Tweeter Type: Planar MagneticPower Handling (RMS): 35 WattsPower Handling (MAX): 70 WattsImpedance: 8Ω Frequency Response: 500 - 20,000 HzSensitivity: 92dB 2.83V/1mDiaphragm Material: Polyethylene Naphthalate Full SpecificationsManualFrequency Response & ImpedanceThanks to a lightweight damped Polyethylene Naphthalate film diaphragm that is driven by 6 powerful neodymium magnets in a push-pull arrangement, this driver is capable of incredible transient response and low distortion. The linear 6.4 ohm impedance makes crossover design simple and minimizes the number of components required to achieve your required roll off.Optional Faceplate AvailableAdd the final touches to any build that uses the PT6825-8 with the optional faceplate! When the tweeter is attached to the faceplate, the resulting shape is easier to flush mount into your speaker baffle, creating a clean aesthetic and reducing diffraction.Buy Now!Shop all GRS Planar Tweeters and FaceplatesGRS Planar Tweeters provide great transients, and frequency response at the fantastic value you expect from GRS GRS PT2522-4Nominal Impedance: 4ohmFrequency Response: 1800-20kHzBuy NowGRS PT6825-8Nominal Impedance: 8ohmFrequency Response: 250-20kHzBuy NowGRS PT6816-8Nominal Impedance: 8ohmFrequency Response: 320-20kHzBuy NowGRS PT5010-8Nominal Impedance: 8ohmFrequency Response: 200-8kHzBuy Now GRS PT2522-FP Face Plate for PT2522-4 and PT2522C-4Buy NowGRS PT6825-FP Face Plate for PT6825-8 Planar TweeterBuy NowGRS PT6816-FP Face Plate for PT6816-8 Planar TweeterBuy NowGRS PT5010-FP Face Plate for PT5010-8 Planar TweeterBuy Now Shop All GRS Planar Tweeters and Faceplates Learn MoreRequest Quote SpecificationsQ&AReviewsManuals & Resources

and maybe 6-7" midwoofers? Would the PT6825 allow to skip the need for a tweeter perhaps, and keep it very simple?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

We discussed the PT6825 and PT6816 in the "Dayton Ardent PE?" topic, and I suggested that the PT6816 might be a better choice due to it's overall more linear behavior. Physically, it's like three stacked 2522's, and using the FRD data provided by PE, derived a crossover that could deliver a reasonably usable 900Hz crossover point. Even so, that's limited to about 15 kHz, but with moderately decent off axis response compared with typical dome tweeters.

Name:	fetch?id=934896&d=1683035496.png
Views:	912
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	941194

the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• technodanvan
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by duvixan
                          I'm thinking about a scaled down version of SMJ-40 (for our small euro apts), with PT6825...

...and maybe 6-7" midwoofers? Would the PT6825 allow to skip the need for a tweeter perhaps, and keep it very simple?
                          If you're looking for a very scaled down variant there is someone on Javad's Facebook page making one based on an 8" GRS mid (unknown part, though I'm pretty sure it's the 6816), along with a GRS tweeter and the Dayton ND140 as the woofers.

Edit: I wonder if the SIG series may have been a better direction to go in over the ND140. They'd cost a bit more but maintain that clean look. They probably came out after this project started though.

From Facebook (my understanding is it will use PRs but they haven't been cut yet):

Click image for larger version  Name:	354527737_807356847415410_8326389422962789836_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	580.0 KB ID:	941206Click image for larger version  Name:	354542075_807356914082070_5744614971913063909_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	730.4 KB ID:	941207
                          - Danny

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

The SIG180-4 would have it beat on both Xmax and Sd. But I bet this is pretty compact, and that does look like the PT6816 based on driver cut out sizes.
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• technodanvan
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2009

CSS has replaced the SDX-10 with a new XBL^2 version. Price has gone up, as has weight (by 10 pounds!). Curiously, I only noticed it based on their recent sale flyer - I didn't see anything advertising this change, though I had noticed the SDX-10 was out of stock for some time.

Name:	3854438278.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	949134
                              Based on the SDX-12, I would wholeheartedly recommend the 10" variant if someone needs a compact subwoofer.
                              - Danny

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

The image is impressive, most impressive...

Looks like an early release note- "full spec sheet coming soon"

With a claim like this, I would expect it is mandatory before expecting customers to commit credits.

While the SDX10 produces high quality deep bass, it's not completely relegated to subwoofer duty. Thanks to the low inductance motor design, the frequency response has a wide and flat usable bandwidth. This makes the SDX10 suitable as a woofer in a 3-way or even in a 2-way with a waveguide!
                                DFAL
                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"