X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richnen
    • Jul 2010

The million dollar part!

OK, I am exaggerating.... a lot, but I can not be the only one who has produced the same part several times.

I finally have ONE of the baffles done for my Minuets, after breaking SIX!!!! The stone is Antique Brown and is very dense and brittle.... a giant PIA to work with. I have at least 12-16 cnc hours logged to complete one baffle!

I would have stopped after two but I have already made the granite stand out of the same material... and they look stunning! When I post the pictures of the completed speakers I think you will see why I had to finish them.

We have all done this ....... right? I mean I'm not the only one nuts enough to keep going no matter what... am I??

Maybe so, but I needed to vent and already feel better!
    Seas Idunn
    ZA5.2
    ZA5.3CC
    SB Acoustics 12" sub
    Statement Monitors
    CLD M5B
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

The only expensive materials I have worked with (all metals... gold, silver, etc.) are easily reclaimed when you screw up. But yes, I've done this. With less exotic stuff as well.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Bear
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by cjd
      The only expensive materials I have worked with (all metals... gold, silver, etc.) are easily reclaimed when you screw up. But yes, I've done this. With less exotic stuff as well.
      Yeah, re-use for this stuff starts to look like coasters. Or gravel. :E
      Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

There are actually some interesting things you can do to composite shattered hard stone of this sort into a usable product - i mean, look what they're doing with shredded aluminum in resin for counter-tops. But, yeah.

You never gain the time back. I've not had the misfortune of sending a piece I'd spent weeks on into the wall during final buff, but I have witnessed it. It's horrible.

Mistakes and things hurt, things out of your control that side-track you can be amazingly depressing - make you think you're no good after all and should go get a job at McD's...
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"