Listening to a half a million dollar hifi system (pics)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btf1980
    • Aug 2007

Listening to a half a million dollar hifi system (pics)

I was present at the premiere of the dCS Vivaldi digital stack for North America this past weekend at Ears Nova. The stack is $135,000. More info - http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/

The speakers were Altairs from Rockport Technologies. They are $97,500 a pair. Driving the Altair speakers were Centaur 500 Watt monoblock amplifiers from Constellation Audio. They are $48,000 a pair. The pre was also from Constellation Audio.

I'm not adding the price of everything else, but when all said and done, it's around $500k for the system. Serious stuff!

A few points.

1. I would like to hear the Vivaldi stack with different speakers. The Rockport Altairs were very impressive to see and hear. They have an imposing profile, despite not looking that imposing from the front. Nevertheless, they weigh 515lbs, so these are BIG speakers any way you slice it. I would like to hear what the Vivaldi stack would sound like in a different combination. The Altairs can push a lot of air though, that's for sure. Still, I'd love to hear the Vivaldi with different speakers just for comparison. Great to see speakers of this magnitude however.

2. Initially, the music choices weren't really that great for my personal taste. Of course, this has no bearing on the quality of the Vivaldi, but I would have demoed songs with more dynamics. There was a lot of tame piano/classical pieces and vocals used in the demo early on. The dCS guys were great though, and asked if we had requests. I asked if they had hi-res HD Tracks jazz. He put on John Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme', and the system came alive. This was it. Finally, something with a lot more oomph. People who stepped out stepped back in to listen. The toe tapping commenced. It's good to have a varied music sampling to get the full breadth of what the gear has to offer. I would have loved to have heard some hard rock, or something funky like James Brown, George Clinton etc.

3. I was able to move around, and I found that this made a big difference. Now, where you sit will make a difference in listening in general. Initially, I was sitting towards the right of the room. I made my way to the back, in the center/sweetspot on one of the couches, and that made a big difference. This brings me back to point one. I'm not sure if the Rockport Altairs are very directional speakers, especially with side firing woofers, but certain speakers can envelope a room effortlessly, and not make a move that's a few feet away (albeit in the sweet spot) that noticeable, which just emphasizes my earlier point of hearing the stack with different gear just for comparison sake.

4. Aesthetically, the Vivaldi stack looks very nice, but I actually think the aesthetics of the Puccini and Paganini look better. I know, that's a minor quibble.

Please note that these are just my observations, and not a harsh critique. It sounded good! The Vivaldi stack was great to see and listen to. The dCS guys were great, hospitable and friendly, as was everyone at Ears Nova. It really was a treat to see and hear a system of this magnitude. Now, someone give me half a million dollars and some loft space so I can construct a similar system.

PS - Not related, but there was a Basis Audio Signature turntable there that I fell in love with.

I took a few quick pics.

dCS Vivaldi

Rockport Technologies Altair Speakers

Constellation Audio Centaur Monoblocks

Basis Audio Signature turntable

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.
  • btf1980
    • Aug 2007

I also got a chance to listen to another system for some time, which featured Rockport Technologies Avior speakers.

The gear list of the system is below

Rockport Technologies Avior Speakers
    Viva Audio Little Solista Integrated Amp (Italian company, never heard their gear before)
    Boulder 865 Integrated Amp
    dCS Puccini
    Aurender S10
    Basis Audio 2100 Signature turntable - (Didn't listen to it.)

Listening was strictly digital. All hi-rez FLAC (24/96). I really enjoyed this system, and not to sound like a heretic, I preferred it to the Vivaldi room (mostly for aesthetic reasons, not performance related). I listened to it in a trance. I queued up the Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan album on the iPad first, and the effortless manner in which the guitars just filled the wide open room was impressive. This wasn't a dedicated room with a closed door like the room with the Vivaldi. This was a "living space", with windows like most people would have in their homes (well, if your home was a swank NYC loft!). A real place, so to speak. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it seemed so real to me. The gear in the Vivaldi room was great, but in total, everything in that room was approaching half a million dollars. This room, while still very expensive (speakers alone are $29,500) seemed like a place where I could entertain guests, listen to music with friends, hang out etc. This matters a great deal to me. It seemed more human. Not to mention, the speakers weren't over 500lbs. I hope this explanation makes sense, I'm sort of rambling here.

A few pics

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I agree. The second system with the Puccini is visually more appealing.
      But as far as the TT's are concerned, I would take either. :W

Thanks for the photos, must have been a real treat to be there!
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• btf1980
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by wkhanna
        Thanks for the photos, must have been a real treat to be there!
        Yup, it sure was. It's always good to step out of your own box to hear these type of systems.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

The black speakers are visually more appealing. The components in the first system seem to lack desirable design, the dsc, the amps, I'm just not turned on by them. Sound may be an entirely different thing!

I do dig the turntables.

Some coin anyway, whew hoo.
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

Very nice!

Speaking of, have you been to "The Cape" yet? It's an incredible experience.
            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

Pretty ridiculous money, but it'd be really neat to hear it. Thanks for sharing!
              -Chuck

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

I bet my laptop sounds better. LOL

Awesome Pictures!!! I'd have loved to hear those systems... though maybe not... then I'd might not like my meager system (compared to those that is)... I think my system is pretty tough to beat all in all, but it could use some improvements. hee hee.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for sharing. :T
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• btf1980
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Face
                    Very nice!

Speaking of, have you been to "The Cape" yet? It's an incredible experience.
                    What's "The Cape"?

Comment

• HedgeHog
                      • Dec 2008

Wow...nice. Thx for sharing! Wish I had a space that big. Did the windows affect sound in any way?
                      Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                      Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                      B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                      Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                      Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"