Source Upgrade needed, please help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • lhwidget
    Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 82

    #46
    Glad you like the card Landspeeder.

    I'm sure there are others as good and some better, but after using and testing the analog output of a Xonar DX ($80), I had a feeling you might find the analog quality of the DX or any of the higher quality Xonars acceptable
    Jay T

    My Site

    Comment

    • Landspeeder
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2008
      • 273

      #47
      Thatguyyoulove: I looked a good long time at the STX+expansion. I do not need the headphone amps, and it appears that some people have been having issues in the same configuration I am using.

      rdrowley: DTS, DD Live, and PCM all sound like bum. Highly 'metalic', random boughts of noise, and just general nastiness. I then tried PCM at every available output including 96 and 192.

      ihwidget: the DX's analog output does indeed sound VERY good. I tried both it and the D2X. I stuck with the D2X as the analog feedback loop using RMAA shows nothing, whereas the DX had a little bit of noise (not enough to actually hear).

      An aside: when playing fallout 3 using the onboard audio drivers the game would crash every 40 minutes or so. This weekend I had 2 LONG sit down sessions and noticed that 1) the game NEVER crashed using the Asus card and 2) the sound was PHENOMENAL!
      My Builds: https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...731#post593731

      Comment

      • lhwidget
        Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 82

        #48
        Originally posted by Landspeeder
        ihwidget: the DX's analog output does indeed sound VERY good. I tried both it and the D2X. I stuck with the D2X as the analog feedback loop using RMAA shows nothing, whereas the DX had a little bit of noise (not enough to actually hear).

        An aside: when playing fallout 3 using the onboard audio drivers the game would crash every 40 minutes or so. This weekend I had 2 LONG sit down sessions and noticed that 1) the game NEVER crashed using the Asus card and 2) the sound was PHENOMENAL!
        That's nice to know, thanks for sharing your results.

        About your aside, I've heard others mention that the Asus drivers are more reliable.

        The only issue I've had is some odd audio behavoir when using the new Dharma pre-releases of XBMC (when stopping a playing audio file, the audio will stutter, like the last sample is being repeated).

        Also, some are having trouble getting SoundEasy to work with the Asus drivers.
        Jay T

        My Site

        Comment

        • Landspeeder
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2008
          • 273

          #49
          That's good to know.

          Fortunately I'm not currently using Soundeasy and I've found WMC + MyMovies to work great with Blu-ray ISOs. It's been awhile since I've seriously given XBMC a run, however when I last did it didn't like blu-ray ISOs too much. If that's since changed for the standalone version I'd give it another shot.
          My Builds: https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...731#post593731

          Comment

          Related Topics

          Collapse

          • audioqueso
            High-End Soundcard for HTPC
            by audioqueso
            RME 9632 Soundcard. Anyone ever heard of it?
            I just heard of this soundcard, and started wondering if this is a good option for me. I want to make my HTPC as good as a good CD player. I've been asking a few guys over at AVS about it, but haven't really heard from anyone who's owned that soundcard....
            06 May 2009, 00:35 Wednesday
          • JonMarsh
            DACs are DACs are DACs... NOT!
            by JonMarsh
            The Calliope uses the DA25TX; we've used that in several designs. It's a real bargain in the performance/cost ratio; it's drawbacks are mainly the large size and flimsy front plate- I've actually dissembled these on occasion and epoxied two front plates together and re-assembled the tweeter with one...
            14 February 2022, 12:43 Monday
          • Nick M
            Building a new HTPC
            by Nick M
            Wow, it's been quite some time since I've posted outside of TTP/Homebrew!

            So I'm building a HTPC with new and used parts, and would like to get as many opinions as possible on what I should be doing to achieve my intentions.

            This device will initially be used with my 52"...
            16 November 2011, 14:47 Wednesday
          • OttoMatic
            Seeking opinions on Krell, Benchmark, other DACs, other pre/pros
            by OttoMatic
            Hi there,

            I'm currently using something like this

            Source (FLAC, CD, vinyl)->Outlaw990->Sunfire Cinema Grand->Vandersteen 3A Sig

            I'm using four channels of the Sunfire to biamp the Vandersteens, and using the Outlaw's DACs when listening to a digital...
            29 April 2007, 16:30 Sunday
          • Shakespeare
            Which 'classe' DACS are best for Stereo?
            by Shakespeare
            Please chip in with your ideas. I have an SSP 800 and a CA-5200 amp. If I am after the best quality stereo presentation which source am I best to use? A CDT 300, CDP 102, or CDP 202? Is it better to use the DACS in the processor or the source? or is it just as good using a cheap $300 transport? Please...
            01 July 2009, 16:54 Wednesday
          • Loading...
          • No more items.
          Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

            Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

            Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"