X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evilskillit
    • Oct 2008

Which reckhorn crossover would you buy?

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this in, since technically it isn't DIY, but its for a DIY sub.

Anyways Reckhorn has 3 crossovers, any of which could be used to control a subwoofer. The F-1 is really basic providing only lowpass and highpass crossover, gain and output for your satellite speakers but is cheaper, like $60.

The B-1 is nice with gain, lowpass, highpass, 1 parametric EQ, the only thing that really seems to be missing is phase control. This is the one I was going to get and can be had for about $100.

There is also the S-1 which seems to have all the control of the B-1 plus highpass passthrough for your satellite speakers, basically combining the F-1 and B-1, the only down side is no phase control and mono summed sub output, which is ok, but stereo, like the B-1 has would be cooler. This unit can also be had for about $100, makes me wonder why it has more stuff but the cost is about the same...

There is also an amp you can get that basically has all the functionality of the F1 plus a built in amp, they can be gotten refurbed for about $140, which is tempting but the ability to hook the B-1 or S-1 up to any amp is pretty attractive. The refurbed amp is here

My question is, which one would you get? And I know some people are going to recommend one of the behringer crossovers, which are nice but don't have the adjustable subsonic filter or the parametric eq as far as I can tell so if you want to recommend one of the Behringer crossovers over one of the reckhorn products let me know why.
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

The B-1 doesn't have any High-Pass output for your main speakers. It's just a subwoofer controller basically. That's kind of strange that they would leave that out. :scratchhead: See back view of B-1.

I think the reason the S-1 is about the same price is due to it's more mundane chassis. But I'm just guessing obviously.

I guess it depends on how much equalization you need. If I were buying I'd probably get the S-1. Since it has EQ for bass cut as well as bass boost.

If you know your room doesn't need EQ you could get by with the F-1.

That amp looks very good for the money, if you sub doesn't need a lot of power, but it doesn't have bass cut like the S-1, that I can tell.

Someone else can comment on the Behringer crossover.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• stangbat
      • Jan 2008

I can't comment specifically on the Reckhorn units, but having variable phase control was very helpful when setting up my sub. Of course if you have a processor that lets you set the sub distance, you can effectively do the same thing as having phase control on the sub crossover. But if you don't have that option available, the variable phase is nice. You can see the control it gave my setup in this thread:
      Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Comment

• evilskillit
        • Oct 2008

Well the B-1 not having a high pass output for the mains doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, just do what most people do, dial the sub in to play wherever the mains stop playing.

I know ideally having a high pass on the mains so they don't have to play below a certain frequency can increase their power handling and lower distortion however my mains already play plenty loud for me. Also I'm not sure how good the electronics in the reckhorn are. I'm sure they're good enough for bass frequencies where a bit of quality loss or distortion might not be really noticable but in the mid and high range I don't want to pass the singal through any more stuff than I really have to.

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by evilskillit
          Well the B-1 not having a high pass output for the mains doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, just do what most people do, dial the sub in to play wherever the mains stop playing.
          That's what I do too, at least with speakers that roll-off fairly high. But with my Dad's larger speakers that play down to 30Hz, I use a first order high pass crossover at about 80Hz. This worked, and integrated well with our subs which were 4th order lowpass at 60Hz.

I just didn't know what your requirements were. I thought it was strange that the B-1 didn't have a high pass.
          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• evilskillit
            • Oct 2008

Yeah, I think I'm leaning more towards the S-1 for that reason, that and the variable phase adjustment that Stangbat pointed out might be very helpful. If I use the mains outputs on it great, if not, no big deal.

However I contacted Creative Sound Solutions about buying an S-1 and he said that, at this time there is no 110volt version and he is in contact with Reckhorn. He said he might know something by Monday if and when the 110volt verison will hit. He said his estimated price is approx $129. So it ends up being a bit more. The one I found online for $99 is a 220 volt version and ships from hong kong which would take forever and probably cost alot in shipping so for the time being I guess I'm just sitting on my thumbs and waiting.

Comment

• johnathanwinter
              • Mar 2009

couldnt you use something like this to go from 110 to 220? http://www.nextag.com/PowerBright-15...00/prices-html
              an option i guess? i dont think the electronic crossover will pull much power.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"