X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David_D
    • Feb 2008

Emotiva Deal

I am sorry if the mods deem this inappropiate.
    Please feel free to squash the thread.
    Emotiva is running a summer savings sale.
    LPA-1: $449.00
    free shipping.
    Just got my order in. Get them while they last!
    -David

As we try and consider
    We receive all we venture to give
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

Just when I thought I didn't need anything else to buy you come here and post this! :M

It usually sells for $499 + about $50 in shipping, right? Also, any idea what the best deal they've ever offered this at? I see them for $400 + shipping all the time which is essentially what they're selling it for here. Hmmm...decisions...decisions... :B

Comment

• David_D
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Mazeroth
      Just when I thought I didn't need anything else to buy you come here and post this! :M

It usually sells for $499 + about $50 in shipping, right? Also, any idea what the best deal they've ever offered this at? I see them for $400 + shipping all the time which is essentially what they're selling it for here. Hmmm...decisions...decisions... :B
      That's the same that I have seen them 4 bills + shipping and whatever is left of the warrenty. I think that's what sealed the deal for me. UPS says shipping from east to west coast is $68 ground.
      It's a heavy weight....
      -David

As we try and consider

Comment

• here.now
        • Jun 2008

I've been asking around but has anyone had any personal experience with this amp? What are its qualities/what could be improved?
        My Stack Rack Build

Comment

• FroDaddy
          • Mar 2006

I've had mine for a few months now. I'm still using my store-bought 8ohm speakers, but still had a positive experience. Improved clarity, separation, dynamics (low and high SPL) is what I liked. I had my Denon AVR-4806 (THX Ultra 2 certified, blah blah) powering my speakers before this, so I'm not sure if this is the review you're looking for. FWIW, Jim Holtz, Sefferdog, and a few others with more experience than me have the LPA-1 and love it. edit: I wanted to add that you're probably not going to find a negative review on this amp. I looked everywhere and never could find one.

Comment

• here.now
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by FroDaddy
            I've had mine for a few months now. I'm still using my store-bought 8ohm speakers, but still had a positive experience. Improved clarity, separation, dynamics (low and high SPL) is what I liked. I had my Denon AVR-4806 (THX Ultra 2 certified, blah blah) powering my speakers before this, so I'm not sure if this is the review you're looking for. FWIW, Jim Holtz, Sefferdog, and a few others with more experience than me have the LPA-1 and love it. edit: I wanted to add that you're probably not going to find a negative review on this amp. I looked everywhere and never could find one.

Sold.

As I was doing my research it became clear that this is a very lovable amp. Good price, I love the styling, I think I'm going to have to order one. My wife is going to kill me, I just bought a new entertainment center and all of my components fit so well. Not to mention dropping another ~500 on my HT. I guess that's why we have HTguide for moral support, right?
            My Stack Rack Build

Comment

• subynube
              • Apr 2007

Where in NH are you? I have that same amp. If you are ever in Burlington, VT feel free to let me know. It sounds great. Best purchase of my whole set up.

Comment

• JoshK
                • Mar 2005

Sure wished Emotiva made an integrated amp. Given the reputation for performance/$ I'd think they could make a killer integrated (stereo). It would be ideal for my bedroom system. The two box stereo approach would work but is getting kinda bulky for sitting on top of a dresser (WAF and all that).

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

You could just make a little volume control box with a pot or something to run with it. I did that for a while with my amp as I don't have a preamp.

Comment

• shame302
                    • Apr 2008

Although its my first amp i purchased the XPA-5 for the Statements i built. a friend of mine kind of got me into this and i couldn't be happier. i know its not the same amp but i would buy emotiva again any day. beautiful amps, great company to deal with.
                    Psudo HTPC, Nuforce AVP 16, Emotiva XPA 5, Statements mains and center, Dayton in wall rears, Twin Tempest X 7CUFT sealed, and very cool and understanding wife!

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

XPA-5 is supposed to be quite a bit better

Comment

• jimluu
                        • Dec 2006

New version coming out soon.

Comment

• impala454
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2007

new version of the LPA-1 or XPA-5?
                          -Chuck

Comment

• JoshK
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                            You could just make a little volume control box with a pot or something to run with it. I did that for a while with my amp as I don't have a preamp.
                            The integrated desire was partly a desire for convenience, remote and the bass mgmt capabilities of the RSP-1.

Comment

• Dennis H
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2002

Josh, I haven't heard one but the Outlaw stereo receiver looks pretty interesting for a bedroom system and it got decent reviews in the mags.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                Josh, I haven't heard one but the Outlaw stereo receiver looks pretty interesting for a bedroom system and it got decent reviews in the mags.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html
                                Bought and setup one for the widow of the man who gave me my start in "Hi-Fi",(she's still an audiophile at 82yrs old... ).

The touch/feel of the controls aren't very refined, but the sonics are very good considering the relatively low cost.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Hi Josh,

Here's what you're looking for. It's posted in the VIP section at the Emotiva form so you may or may not be able to get there. It's a 75 watt per channel integrated.

Here it is...an artist rendering of the DZA-1. Yes, this is the new stereo zone amp, replacing the BPA-1.

How much, you ask? why, only $99, junior.

due out in a few months.

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

XPA-5 is supposed to be quite a bit better
                                    Hi Dougie,

Actually, per Lonnie (the amps designer) rather than the posters on the Emotiva forum, the LPA-1 and XPA-5 are identical topology and sound the same up to the point that the LPA-1 runs out of power. In real world use, the XPA-5 has the ability to go 2 DB louder than the LPA-1. The LPA-1 has a 1.2 Vs. a 1.6 KV toroidal transformer and they both pool power so when listening in 2 channel mode they both have much more than rated power.

The XPA-5 has balanced in puts in addition to RCA's.

Both are killer amps and a huge bargain but hearing a difference between the amps on any reasonable sensitivity speaker without hearing damage would be a real stretch, IMHO.

That said, I'd love to have an XPA-5. :B

Jim

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

I was going by a review that I saw from an Audio website. And I believe the PSU in the XPA 5 is quite a bit beefier. Any idea when that integrated amp will be out? And how much it will cost?

Edit: Nevermind I'm blind!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

I was going by a review that I saw from an Audio website. And I believe the PSU in the XPA 5 is quite a bit beefier.
                                        Hi Dougie,

Lonnie is the designer of both amps so I would put more stock in his thoughts than a reviewer, particularly if it's Audioholics. I know a lot of people love that website but I think his reviews are the worst I've read. They remind me of Stereo Review from the old days.

Anyway, comparing the 2 power supplies, they are 1.2 KV vs 1.6 KV. Now lets compare those to an "audiophile" amp like the Plinius SA-102. The SA-102 has a 1.1 KV power supply and runs pure class "A" @ 125 watts per channel. I swear you could weld with it. Emotiva doesn't skimp on power supplies. The LPA-1 has a much larger power supply than most of the "normal" well regarded 2 channel amps available now and in the past.

It all comes down to 2 DB difference in maximum SPL plus the ability to handle horrendously loud transients that would damage your hearing. Lets not forget features like balanced inputs.

Both are killer amps. :T

Jim

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

Yeah I was just stating what I've heard. I'm sure both are excellent amps and I want to get the XPA-5 someday. First I'm getting the UMC-1 whenever it finally comes out.

Comment

• kingpin
                                            • Jun 2006

I'm getting tired of my Crown 402 that I use to drive my mains. I did the fan mod and everything to quiet it down, but I can't keep feeling like I've slighted cjd's design by using this amp.
                                            I think I may be picking up an xp-5 or something sooner than later.
                                            I wonder if there will be a difference in sound.

Mike
                                            Call me "MIKE"
                                            "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                                            "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                                            CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                                            CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                                            "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                                            Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• Alaric
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by kingpin
                                              I'm getting tired of my Crown 402 that I use to drive my mains. I did the fan mod and everything to quiet it down, but I can't keep feeling like I've slighted cjd's design by using this amp.
                                              I think I may be picking up an xp-5 or something sooner than later.
                                              I wonder if there will be a difference in sound.

Mike
                                              Let me get this straight-you're using a Conrad Johnson designed pre-amp and feeding it to a CROWN amp??? Yes , there will be a difference in the sound with a different amp. Spend More=Get More works up to about $5000 with amps if you choose carefully.
                                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                              Schiit Modi 3
                                              Marantz CD5005
                                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• impala454
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2007

Can anyone speak for fan noise on the LPA-1 or XPA-5?
                                                -Chuck

Comment

• jimluu
                                                  • Dec 2006

I've never bought anything retail. If you are patient, you can get great savings through audiogon. I saw several emotiva models there.

Comment

• kingpin
                                                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
                                                    Let me get this straight-you're using a Conrad Johnson designed pre-amp and feeding it to a CROWN amp??? Yes , there will be a difference in the sound with a different amp. Spend More=Get More works up to about $5000 with amps if you choose carefully.
                                                    lmao. sorry, don't mean to be rude.
                                                    CJD is a member here, who along with Brian Bunge designed the Dayton 3-way towers that I built.

My pre-amp is my Yamaha. ops:

Mike
                                                    Call me "MIKE"
                                                    "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                                                    "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                                                    CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                                                    CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                                                    "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                                                    Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• Ray Collins
                                                      • Mar 2006

Jim,
                                                      I am not a member of the Emotivia Lounge Set but would like to see a rendering/picture of the new soon-to-be-released top-of-the-line pre/processor. Can you share this?

Ray
                                                      Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
                                                      BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by impala454
                                                        Can anyone speak for fan noise on the LPA-1 or XPA-5?
                                                        They don't have fans so they're completely silent.

Jim

Comment

• impala454
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2007

Thanks Jim.
                                                          -Chuck

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ray Collins
                                                            Jim,
                                                            I am not a member of the Emotivia Lounge Set but would like to see a rendering/picture of the new soon-to-be-released top-of-the-line pre/processor. Can you share this?

Ray
                                                            Hi Ray,

Here is the only picture I've seen of the new LMC2. It will have a volume knob which isn't shown in the picture.

Jim
                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• brijenjas
                                                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                                              Hi Ray,

Here is the only picture I've seen of the new LMC2. It will have a volume knob which isn't shown in the picture.Jim
                                                              It's actually been renamed to UMC-1.

Pic with the knob.

EDIT:
                                                              Reread Ray's post, the UMC1 is not the tpop of the line pre/pro, the XMC1 will be, but I don't recall seeing any renderings/pictures of it over at the Emo forum.
                                                              Attached Files
                                                              Last edited by brijenjas; 27 June 2008, 22:32 Friday.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

Yes I have one of those reserved Just have to come up with the money before they get them in. They said after the initial shipment they may go up some in price.

Comment

• JonP
                                                                  • Apr 2006

Just went to look... looks like they've sold them out!

Apparently the LPA-1 was discontinued, and they were blowing out the last ones with the sale. Or, blew them out, I should say...

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JonP
                                                                    Just went to look... looks like they've sold them out!

Apparently the LPA-1 was discontinued, and they were blowing out the last ones with the sale. Or, blew them out, I should say...
                                                                    Hi Jon,

yes, they ran out of stock at 1:00 PM yesterday. The closeouts have been going on for a couple months. The replacement (UMA-1) is 7 x 125 watts Vs 5 x 125 & 2 x 50 watts for the LPA-1. Identical otherwise. The UMA-1 is more money of course.

Jim

Comment

• ahaik
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                                                      Hi Jon,

yes, they ran out of stock at 1:00 PM yesterday. The closeouts have been going on for a couple months. The replacement (UMA-1) is 7 x 125 watts Vs 5 x 125 & 2 x 50 watts for the LPA-1. Identical otherwise. The UMA-1 is more money of course.

Jim
                                                                      Two days ago my brother tried to order one online and got an out of stock messsge. He called Emotive yesterday morning and was told they have 1 or 2 left, so he ordered one just in the nick of time.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by kingpin
                                                                        lmao. sorry, don't mean to be rude.
                                                                        CJD is a member here, who along with Brian Bunge designed the Dayton 3-way towers that I built.

My pre-amp is my Yamaha. ops:

Mike

Now laughing my @$$ off! I should have recognized CJD. ops: It's been a rough year and I plead mental defect....perhaps intellectual bankruptcy. I'll just quietly fade away now....... :later:
                                                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                                                        Marantz CD5005
                                                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• David_D
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2008

The LPA & MMC just arrived today!
                                                                          YIPPIE SKIPPY!!!!! :^x
                                                                          Sorry, but there is no one that could understand my joy but you guys!
                                                                          -David

As we try and consider

Comment

• JimS
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Dec 2005
                                                                            • 97

Originally posted by David_D
                                                                            Sorry, but there is no one that could understand my joy but you guys!
                                                                            You're among friends - one of the last LPAs just arrived at my door as well :T

The Fed Ex driver, however, was not as full of joy . . .

Comment

Working...
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"