X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmcox44
    • Nov 2006

Help me build a new center!

Ok, I'm new to this forum and have been reading a lot lately trying to figure out what the best design for a new center channel speaker would be. I've looked at the Dayton RS WMTW and the Modula MTM and i have a few questions. First off, the Dayton RS will not fit in my TV stand, it is way too large. The Modula MTM, however, will. So my plan was to build the Modula, the only problem is that i wanted more bass output out of my new center. (My current center is a Polk Audio CS-250

So my question is, would it be possible (and smart of course) if i used the Dayton RS180S-8's (7" drivers) rather than the RS150S-8's in the MTM design? Also, if this is possible, what exactly would i have to change with the crossover.

Thanks in advance.

Jacob
  • stidrvr
    • Sep 2005

I think you may be underestimating the low end output from the Modula's. I personally don't have them but it is pretty substantial. As far as I know the Modula MTM X-over wont work in regards to be used as a center. The X-Over is setup to be used in a vertical setup.

Also I'm confused about the last part.
    So my question is, would it be possible (and smart of course) if i used the Dayton RS180S-8's (7" drivers) rather than the RS150S-8's in the MTM design?
    The Modula's use the RS180 7" drivers. Do you mean using the RS225 8" driver? If so that in itself would be a feat. To much of a gap. I wouldn't second guess output capabilities the Modula's, I say go for it.

Comment

• jmcox44
      • Nov 2006

Well i was just looking at this link, and thought near the bottom was the model for the rsa28 tweeter. And according to the top it uses the 150's rather than the 180's. I mean correct me if i'm wrong, i just figured the 180's would get a bit more bass output. Anymore advice would be great. Thank you.

Jacob

Comment

• WillyD
        • Feb 2006

If you feel like waiting till sometime before Christmas, Evil Twin will have a WMTW center design out using the RS180/RS52/Vifa D26. It'll be designed for the Dayton pre-finished 1ft^3 enclosures (or a DIY enclosure with the same baffle width driver spacing).

Comment

• technimac
          • Feb 2005

Jacob,
          Evil Twin is presently designing a new WMTW center channel speaker that utilizes two RS 180's, a RS52 and a Vifa D26NC55. It will fit in a stock PE MTM box with a 9" wide baffle that is used for the Modula MTM and NatalieP. I have no doubt that there will be BASS!!

According to ThomasW it will be a "pre-Christmas" event! :B

Why is it that I can't get this Dayton RS52 midrange (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=285-020) out of my head? :banghead: :D So far, I think Pete on the PE board is the only one to have a project completed with the driver. It looks like it will make an excellent midrange. Am I wrong in my

I am currently using Modula MT's as my mains and surrounds, and the bass from a single RS 180 is quite impressive. 8O

Seems like it will fit your needs (and many of ours) perfectly. :T

Cheers,
          Bruce
          "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• technimac
            • Feb 2005

Will,
            :agree:

We must be on the same "Evil Twin WMTW Wavelength" tonight.

Didn't see your post until mine was submitted.

Chers, Bruce
            "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• WillyD
              • Feb 2006

I hope we aren't hyping it up too much.

I was about to order some of the parts for it the other day since the RS52 is on sale at $28. 8)

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

The problem ET is having, is getting drivers delivered from PE while he's traveling in Europe.

I've got a stack of hardware and software sitting around waiting for him to be in town long enough that I can get it shipped to him......:banghead:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Think Thanksgiving week and the week after (hopefullly). I'm planning a week off at Thanksgiving, though lord only knows my boss may have other ideas.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2001

I've got a pair of RS52's that I really won't need for quite some time. They are new in the box, never used. I'd love to trade someone for a pair of RS28a's if anyone is interested.

Comment

• kingpin
                      • Jun 2006

I am so confused ...........................

Evil Twin = JonMarsh ??????????????????

Can't you tell by my build thread that I am slow.

Mike
                      Call me "MIKE"
                      "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                      "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                      CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                      CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                      "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                      Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• WillyD
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                        Think Thanksgiving week and the week after (hopefullly). I'm planning a week off at Thanksgiving, though lord only knows my boss may have other ideas.
                        Man, what a christmas present. 8) You're the man, Jon. :T

I have to tell you, I caught a bit of Back to the Future 2 on TV last night and the second I saw Christopher Lloyd with his crazy hair I thought of you. :rofl:

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
                          I've got a pair of RS52's that I really won't need for quite some time. They are new in the box, never used. I'd love to trade someone for a pair of RS28a's if anyone is interested.

Brian, maybe we can work a deal- I have a couple of pairs I believe in my climate controlled storage unit. Won't be back in the country until Friday, though, so I can check Saturday if you're not in a rush. I can give one to ET, and keep one myself for the CC design shoot out.

Let me know if that's interesting.

BTW, I've got about 3 pair around if my memory serves me correctly.

~Jon
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by WillyD
                            Man, what a christmas present. 8) You're the man, Jon. :T

I have to tell you, I caught a bit of Back to the Future 2 on TV last night and the second I saw Christopher Lloyd with his crazy hair I thought of you. :rofl:

Yeah, that's heavy. (Did something happen to the earth's gravitational field?)

you know, I'm really hoping that set comes out some day on high def DVD; I've got the laser disk set, and the DVD, now I need just a little more resolution.

Considering how good a job they've done with some MUCH oldeer movies on HD-DVD, I have real hopes. My daughter and I used to watch these all the time when she was little- by HER request! (of course, in 1989, most folks didn't have what we'd now call Home Theater (Zenith CRT front projection, sub with mains), and she and her friends thought it was hecka cool.
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                              Brian, maybe we can work a deal- I have a couple of pairs I believe in my climate controlled storage unit. Won't be back in the country until Friday, though, so I can check Saturday if you're not in a rush. I can give one to ET, and keep one myself for the CC design shoot out.

Let me know if that's interesting.

BTW, I've got about 3 pair around if my memory serves me correctly.

~Jon
                              Jon,

That should be fine. I just want to finish my big center channel soon and for some strange reason I ordered the RS28AS way back when I originally ordered the drivers for the center. If I finish before I can get the tweets from you I might just use it so that I can compare how it to the non-shielded.

Comment

• jmcox44
                                • Nov 2006

Ok I decided, due to the parts being on sale now, that I'm just going to go for CJD's RS150 MTM design. My only question is would it be better to go ported or sealed? I have a Onkyo SR-TX573 crossed at 80Hz and a Tempest 15" that takes care of the low. I think I understand that its better to go with sealed when you have a sub, but still curious.

Thanks,

Jacob

Edit: Also is it ok if i go with the non shielded version of the RS28 since i have a DLP rear projection TV? Thanks again.

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                                  • Jun 2006

Jacob,

I used CJD's rs150 design for my center channel for a while. I built mine sealed and crossed to the sub at 80Hz. It sounded really nice. I used the non-shielded tweeter and I placed my 27" CRT right on top of the speaker with no ill effects. I don't think you will have a problem.

Jim

Comment

• jmcox44
                                    • Nov 2006

Thank you very much. Exactly what i needed to here. Time to lay down $150...ouch

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"