X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beermoney
    • Aug 2006

I need a rack...should I buy or build?

Hello...

I'm new here...been hanging out at AVS and "the goN". Glad to be here though!

I am building a 5.1 HT system in my basement. I would like to flush-mount all of my gear in a wall rack of some kind. There is a wall with a closet on the other side that I plan to use. The plan is to remove the dry wall frame it, and bolt in the rack. I'm trying to decide if I should get a Middle Atlantic pro rack (or similar) or build one out of plywood. Obviously wood would be cheaper; but the pro racks look cooler.

Does anyone have any thoughts either way?

Thanks!
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Beermoney
    Hello...

I'm new here...been hanging out at AVS and "the goN". Glad to be here though!

I am building a 5.1 HT system in my basement. I would like to flush-mount all of my gear in a wall rack of some kind. There is a wall with a closet on the other side that I plan to use. The plan is to remove the dry wall frame it, and bolt in the rack. I'm trying to decide if I should get a Middle Atlantic pro rack (or similar) or build one out of plywood. Obviously wood would be cheaper; but the pro racks look cooler.

Does anyone have any thoughts either way?

Thanks!
    If it's accessible from the other side of the wall, I'd build fixed plywood shelving, open at the back (closet) side, with a glass door front. That will look as cool as your woodworking trim abilities and imagination can get you.

Comment

• kingpin
      • Jun 2006

I built both these for less than $100 each.
      Very simple to do and extremely strong and durable.
      Both are on wheels.

Click to enlarge.

Mike
      Call me "MIKE"
      "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
      "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
      CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
      CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
      "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
      Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• peterS
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

how did you do that pole through the wood... never could figure it out

Comment

• kingpin
          • Jun 2006

The pole doesn't go through the wood. The pipe are each seperate pieces of 1 1/2 electrical conduit that I rolled a palm sander over to give it a brushed look. There is a piece of 5/8" threaded rod going through each pipe the length of the rack that tightens everything up.

Mike
          Call me "MIKE"
          "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
          "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
          CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
          CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
          "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
          Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• Lloyd E
            • Feb 2004

Instead of buying a full rack, you could buy just the rack rails and Universal shelves, (middle atl) U1, U2 or so forth or equivalent. believe PE sells the rails and shelves from Dayton and Middle Atlantic. If your equipment has rack ears, it will allow you to install those as intended. Or you could buy custom rack shelves from Middle Atlantic which gets very expensive ~$250-300/shelf. Just make sure you frame it out to the correct distance, I believe the it is 17.5" or so, mount a shelf and measure exactly or look up the dimensions on a Middle Atlantic Slim 5 Rack.

Good Luck,
            Lloyd

Comment

• DiyDude1
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Lloyd E
              Instead of buying a full rack, you could buy just the rack rails and Universal shelves, (middle atl) U1, U2 or so forth or equivalent. believe PE sells the rails and shelves from Dayton and Middle Atlantic. If your equipment has rack ears, it will allow you to install those as intended. Or you could buy custom rack shelves from Middle Atlantic which gets very expensive ~$250-300/shelf. Just make sure you frame it out to the correct distance, I believe the it is 17.5" or so, mount a shelf and measure exactly or look up the dimensions on a Middle Atlantic Slim 5 Rack.

Good Luck,
              Lloyd
              I agree and it's a lot cheaper. Here is a pic of the one I made awhile back.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Tedd
                • Aug 2006

Since you have rear access, check out Larry Fine's design at the AVS Forum. He uses two adjustable shelf rails on either side of the av rack opening in the wall. Fully adjustable and straightforward to build.

My rack will use four 5' lengths of unistrut mounted on the side walls of the av closet with wood shelves screwed to angle iron brackets in order to bolt to the unistrut. The wall opening itself is framed to a 1/2" wider then the electronics and trimmed out in oak. The shelves get a matching front oak trim piece plus a perforated metal insert for improved airflow.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"