X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PatG
    • Apr 2024

Another "newbie" looking for advice

It's fridgid outside and I have a little spare time so it looks like I'll be starting another speaker project. I still consider myself to be a newbie though I have been building speaker projects for about 12 years now, the problem is I have had sooooo many projects and soooo many interests that it was difficult for me to really zero in on just a handfull of hobbies. I am also becoming acutely aware of the value the phrase "jack of all trades master of none" holds in my life, so I've decided to dig deeper, much deeper than I ever have before and produce a really fantastic set of speakers in the process. This time I wanted to go elegantly simple, perhaps an MT using good quality european components, though I'm now starting to think about another MTM. The last project was a TMMMM using PE's 1 1/8 tweeter and 4 mcm 5" aluminum woofers, great presence and excellent, deep bass for a 5" driver but ho hum detail, lumpyish response in the upper end. I'd like to start all over again with a clean slate; money is an option, I have a couple hundred or so I can spare for the project, bass extension is not super important, detail and tonality are.... and oddly enough so are aesthetics. Hi-vi seems to have a descent line of drivers, I like the f6 but I read that there is a blip in the response just above 1khz, the m6n seems ok but it has limited excursion and a suspiciosly smooth response graph for a metal cone woofer plus there is VERY little info on the net for this manufacturer. The Peerless CSX line seems nice and safe as do GR research's woofers, North creek seems to have some great designs/drivers(especialy the D25-06s tweeter) @ very fair prices but I'm not finding much info on these and lastly I'm still waiting to see what PE's RS line of alloy woofers is capable of.Sorry about the gigantic paragraph and dreadfull spelling, any advice would be welcome.
    Thanks in advance !!
    Pat
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I suggest you look around at some of the projects that are being discussed on this forum. Looking back through some of the designs created in the last couple of years, should give you some ideas.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• PatG

Yeah, I know there is a ton of excellent info on this forum...I was just looking to give these bloodshot eyes a break.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I was just looking to give these bloodshot eyes a break.
        Yeap me too ............

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

Independent testing of the GR Research midwoofers show them not to be as flat as the plots published on the GR website.

We ruled out using the M6 because of it's low Xmax.
        Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 22:59 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide urls

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• PatG

Thanks for the info, thats a nice little tidbit of dirt on the GRs. I'll be selecting the drivers tonight or tomorow, so far its down to the Hi-Vi M8a,PE RS 7"or CSX/HDS. Tweeters have been the SEAS 27T***** aluminum or fabric, not shure which just yet. If somebody wants to stage an intervention and spare me the anguish of buying a set of crumby drivers please feel free to do so.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Click image for larger version

Name:	5 inch nearfield FR comparo.GIF
Views:	371
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	841554

As long as you have the ability to do quality measurements of the drivers in their baffle, no intervention is necessary
            Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 23:00 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Doug Fraser
              • Apr 2004

Thanks for posting the links.

I am new to speaker desgin (although I have built some other peoples designs) and I find the threads related to design very very interesting. It's like attending a daily grad level seminar on speaker design.

Even though I have lurked now for about 6 months and check for new postings several times a day, I still have a hard time keeping clear in my mind all of the projects that are underway. Do you think it would be possible to make the above links (or the appropriate links) sticky like the Modula MTM 1 Design and Construction Details thread?

Regards,
              Doug Fraser

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"