X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Corrib
    • Jun 2009

Dayton RS722 Cabinet Plans/Finished Projects

I'm thinking about building a pair of speakers using the Dayton RS722 speakers.

The RS722 are probably the way I'll go, but the TriTrix Recession Buster Kit seems to have cabinet plans and finished projects.

My budget is okay with the RS722 speakers. But for the TriTrix, I don't have the knowledge to put the crossovers together.

I'm more of a woodworker than speaker builder, but I would greatly appreciate any cabinet plans or thoughts on using either of these speakers.

Thanks!
  • FtWorthHorn
    • Mar 2009

Corrib, I can't recommend the Tritrix enough. It's hard to beat ordering a kit that you know will include all of the parts that you need when you're just starting out. (Well, I would also order some 3/16" disconnects and some primary wire since you have free partsexpress shipping, but those are little things you can get locally if needed). I just soldered my first crossovers together this past weekend using the Tritrix kit. It's a pretty simple crossover, with only 5 components, so it's a good place to start. Just find a decent guide online to soldering. Plus, from what I hear, they sound great (especially at the price) and at 8 ohms you can drive them with any amp you have around.

Oh, if you do start making crossovers, the little white screw-in terminals that you see people using in their pictures are terminal strips/barrier strips. That's the one question I kept trying to figure out and it took me forever. You can pick them up at Radio Shack, and they make life much, much easier.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Your post is a bit confusing because I don't have PE's catalog numbers memorized. But, the RS722 is just the 1 cuft box, correct? So, you're considering either buildings something like the NatP's that use that box or doing the TriTrix? The NatP design is obviously a step up from the TriTrix. I'm not sure what area you're most apprehensive about: cost, building the box, building the crossover, not liking the sound... etc.?

If you're more of a woodworker, then I'm sure your skills are up the the challenge of building your own box for any project you like. Find the project that excites you and fits your budget. Then worry about the crossovers. Those are easier then they appear. People of all skill levels have successfully built crossovers from a diagram. When you get there, we'll help you through.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• FtWorthHorn
        • Mar 2009

PE is now selling a kit (drivers, assembled crossover, and box) with that part number.

Comment

• Corrib
          • Jun 2009

The RS722 do use the 1 cubic foot cabinet. I've not been able to find any diagram or plans for this. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

I'll use these speakers for listening to mostly MP3 Zune or PC output.

Does it make sense to spend the extra for the RS722's or should I go with the Tritrix?

My big concern is assembling the crossover if I go the Tritrix route. I appreciate everyone's willingness to help with the crossover.

Thanks for all the info!!

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by FtWorthHorn
            PE is now selling a kit (drivers, assembled crossover, and box) with that part number.
            Ahh. I see. It is essentially the Dr. K MTM kit. A link to the PE page would have been helpful.

Originally posted by Corrib
            I'll use these speakers for listening to mostly MP3 Zune or PC output.

Does it make sense to spend the extra for the RS722's or should I go with the Tritrix?
            Probably not, unless you are listening to uncompressed files, such as flac, and are really into listening.
            - Ryan

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

If you can afford the RS722, take a look at the NatP design from our Missions Accomplished section. It's a more sophisticated version of the RS722

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Corrib
                • Jun 2009

Looks like I'll go with the Tritrix and have some fun learning to solder.

For what it's worth, can I expect better sound from these than something like the $399 system from Bose? (I would use the Tritrix with a sub).

Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Yes.
                  - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"