X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

New Honeywell thermostat

Looks like if I ever get another house, this will be my choice of programmable thermostats. Pretty cool product seems like. Voice command and wi-fi.

Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I don't know. I'm beginning to think the old simpler ways are better.

See Google Predicts Ads in Odd Spots Like Thermostats for a reality check!

Imagine wanting to turn up the room temperature, but having to endure a 3 min advert for pullovers first!

8O :roll:
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Hmm, don't know about this. I just know that money we spent on Honeywell for thermostats in the office a few years ago and they have not worked as well as the ones we replaced. Plus I wasn't impressed with the quote that they sent me on the replacing the boilers. They went high end and when I went back to them with a competitive quote, they went 'Oh, why didn't you say budget was an issue'.

Ever since then I have done my best to not purchase anything Honeywell.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Neat but if I'm going to that level of technology I'm doing a whole home automation that ties lighting, HVAC etc all together in one system.
        Jason

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Seems like overkill. I have an older Honeywell digital thermostat with 7-day programming, and individual morning, daytime, evening and night settings for each day, which makes it as customizable as one can wish for. At first I had it set at lower temps in the daytime, and at night when no one is home or asleep, thinking I would save on fuel costs. I discovered that its more economical to maintain the thermostat at one temp setting 24/7, in which case an inexpensive manual thermostat would have worked just as well.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

ok, interesting series of responses.

Glen, I have a 20 year old Honeywell digital thermostat too. It's got 4 zones per day. It's been an amazing product, in fact, this is the second one I have owned. I put one in another house I owned and sold it with house.

What I found was, the old manual thermostats were never accurate. They would come on, and lock on for long periods of time, or they'd go off and stay off to long. There was no temperature sensitivity. I found with the Honeywell, there WAS a higher degree of sensitivity. Even if you choose not to use the zones, it is a better thermostat.

I doubt I need the new touch screen one. If I can still get one like I have, that may still be just fine with me.

Glen, I don 't change my settings as widely as I used to. I think it can be efficient to safe a little with a couple of degree change here and there for a few hours. But dialing it back to far, is a dis-savings. I do believe that.
            Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Well we used to pay 150+ a month leaving our thermostat around 68 degrees, now we have it programmed to be 65 during the day and 60 at night and we rarely see a bill over 100 dollars.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I'm confused, you talking winter bill? It would cost a lot more in the summer with AC to go 65 and 60. BRRRR too...

That sounds like a winter plan. What's your summer plan? not a big deal where you are at now?

When it was SO HOT a year or two ago, I had to keep it cold to start out in the AM, and let it run all day to watch it go up a few degrees and still be livable at night. My system could not keep pace. I hope it doesn't do that this year. Surprisingly, it was never extremely expensive. Ok, it was bad, but not BAD BAD BAD.
                Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

We don't have central air we use window units. We are usually around 150 a month for electric in the summer but we only cool part of our house.

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

I put two of the Nest thermostats in my house in VA. The Honeywells look nice also though I'm staying cheap now, using what is already in the new house.
                    Danish

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

On a related note. Anyone aware of a thermostat that can run mixed use (forced air and electric radiant floor) as separate "zones" with independent scheduling etc?
                      Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Interesting--not sure, Jason.

I'm a very heavy user of URC, and they've gotten very involved with automation, both their own products, and integrating with 3rd parties, including Honeywell and other thermostats. I haven't swapped out my thermostats yet, but that's on my list. Through my URC interfaces/remotes, I can definitely control everything centrally, though. Lighting, HVAC, security, A/V, locks, garage doors, cameras, networking, etc, etc.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"