X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • belzarrath
    • Jan 2006

Need a quick response for a quick decision

Hello,,

Well things may have quickened the pace for me.
    I am currently building a home I had plans to leave my basement unfinished.
    My contractor thaught it maybe best to just hang the drywall, due to space and easy of getting material to site.

So, my question is should I have the theater room sheeted of leave it. I was planning of using acoustical tiles (home depot) for the ceiling. The walls I was going to make acoustical panels, ( 1/2" waffer board, 1/2" poly batting, micro fiber material)

Framing Information,
    The stud walls are framed 1" off of the cement walls, componet space is built for screen and lcr.

Not sure if I should do all wall and ceiling myself with the above method or have them drywall then I add the acoustical treatment.

I hope I stated my question clear enough.

Parrish
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Wait... if I understand, your question is whether to sheet rock a room, or use an unfinished room for the theater, with acoustical paneling treatment?

You may have financial or resource limitations, of course, but you ABSOLUTELY will get a better acoustical and aesthetic performance from drywalling the room. (and then, of course, putting some acoustical treatments over the finished sheetrock) I'd take your time, and plan and build the theater right, including wiring and everything that you'll want to do in the walls, first, before putting up the sheetrock. It may seem expeditious, or maybe even efficient, to throw up stuff now, but you'll be much happier in the long run by methodically doing what you really want.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• belzarrath
      • Jan 2006

Thanks for the reply Chris.
      Actual I was thinking of not drywalling sence the acoustical wall treatment is a full wall treatment.
      The wall panel would alternate between a raise and flat 32" x 8' x 5/8" waffer board covered in the above manner. _____/-----\_____/-----\_____
      Seems to be counter productive to have acoustival tile ceiling and drywall ceiling up.
      If you know of any good resources for home theater construction, please leave me a link.

Thanks Parrish

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Parrish, acoustical tiles can rattle and bump in their framework. I'd recommend staying away from them and going with a more traditional sheetrock finish.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"