X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Fiber Optic Ceiling Star effects

Anyone here have any experience with the fiber optic ceiling starfield effects? I am planning my HT out and am considering using this on my ceiling. I have seen a couple different kinds, LED fiber, some that use a color wheel to twinkle etc.., Just looking to see if anyone has installed one of these or know about them.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yeah, I've researched them, and have planned to install one in my ceiling. Just haven't gotten around to it, yet. Eric Farstad thought I was crazy for even considering it, but I think it comes down to what kind of person you are. If you're a hard worker that can deal with long, menial tasks if you have to, it will be okay. Me, I'm borderline obsessive-compulsive, liking to do jobs slowly, to be very thorough, so I think I'll be okay. Two main issues with starfield ceilings: they take a lot of time and effort, and you need access to the ceiling from above. My theater is on my top floor with the roof right above it, so I was planning on scooping all the insulation out from on top of the ceiling in my attic, doing all the work, and then put it back. If you don't have attic access, you'll have to use drop-tiles or something in your room.

For the work, it's just a lot of drilling little tiny holes, and then running individual fiber strands to your light source. Very labor intensive.

One tip I read says to clip the fiber strands so they actually stick into your room ever so slightly, NOT flush with the ceiling. If they're flush, the light blooms at the end of the thread, making it a bigger light. Sticking out a bit makes it just a single point. Varying the amounts that strands stick out gives you different size stars in your ceiling, which can be cool.

Some kits offer color wheels for the light, or created "twinkling effects" which can be cool. I think in general, starfield ceilings are something that can be overdone if you're not careful. A careful use of the product and good installation can be stunning, though.

There's a few sites I've found in the past with installation techniques, products, and information. I'll see if I can dig them up if I get time.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

What about setting it up as a replica of the night sky over your house?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• kurtholz
        • Feb 2005

well

I know longer feel like the craziest forum member

hahahahaha

poking a million holes in my ceiling from above just doesnt hit my sweet spot

i went with the faux finish rout, not cheap but good look

good luck with your project, i do think it's a nice look if you have the patience

Kurt

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Thanks Guys,
          I am crazy enough to tackle something like this :spin:, I enjoy challenges like this.
          I thought that would be a good way to create a sense of height in my basement with 8 ft ceilings.
          I like the idea of recreating my night sky here, I have a few star charts of my zone here to go off of, that would really be cool.
          Chris I dont have access to my ceiling from above so I would have to build a false drop, but that still falls in line with some of the ideas I had for my ceiling even if I didnt use the fiber optic lights.
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Already, you can see that some people just hate the idea of the work, so it's not suited for everybody. If you do it tactfully, though, everybody likes the finished product.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• RobP
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

I remember a ride at Disneyland, I think it was Peter Pans adventure, they had a part that you went through that had the stars all over, it was done really well and gave you the sense of flying over a city at night. The ET attraction at Universial studios years ago was done the same way,really cool.
              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Here is a picture of a theatre that was featured in this months Home Theatre magazine, I really like the way the ceiling was done here.

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Just noticed this thread. You could say I have some experience in this area.

I've done these in several of our rides (Indy, etc.). Shimmering, twinkling, LED, lamp driven. What specifics do you want?

BB

Comment

• RobP
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Hey Brandon, my family and I got to enjoy some of your work this July! Lots of fun.

Anyhoo, I would like to use a simple fiber optic system that would twinkle, I dont want it overwhelming, but subtle. Im really a newbie when it comes to this stuff, so I am looking at any information that may help.
                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

OK, well it's really pretty basic. You need a light source, aand some fiber. And a drill.

How big an area are you looking to do? The cost sort of goes up exponentially with area if you are using a single light souce, as all the fibers have to lead back to it, and it's sort of a "by the foot" proposition.

You can use a small LED cluster, for a light source, or an MR16 or MR11 type projection lamp (as opposed to a flood). Projection lamps are narrower beam angle, so more of the light ends up going into your fibers. If you want them to twinkle, you can put a rotating disk of perforated metal in between. This has the added advantage of reducing the heat from an incandescent lamp reaching the ends of your fiber bushing which helps it last longer. You can also use a piece of IR reflecting heat glass to accomplish this if you use a lamp with no twinkle disk.

We usually use Eska brand fiber from Mitsubishi Rayon. It's several hundred bucks a roll, depending on diameter, and the rolls are either 500 meters, or 1200 meters, again depending on fiber size.

Anyway, tell me how big a ceiling area you are looking for, about how many stars in that area, how bright you'd like them (visible with room lights on?) and what kind of budget you were thinking of and we can go from there.

BB

Comment

• crackyflipside
                        • Nov 2006

Yeah, I've also been thinking about doing a project like this, I've calculated I need about 80 strands in a bundle that is about 50 feet long. Which is right under 16 meters. I really think there has to be another option than going and buying 500 meters of the stuff!
                        -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"