X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Just popped in a test cd

I picked up a "test" cd from work that has 30 sec sine waves from 20 all the way to 80 hz.

I dont have a spl meter yet, but by taking a brief listen, my room is getting its butt kicked between 53-70ish hz. Its really bad in the 60 range.

Meh, just an fyi type post i guess.
    Suppose I should do something about that huh? :lol:
    Last edited by Race Car Driver; 09 August 2006, 13:04 Wednesday.
    B&W
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I suppose so! You may want to look into using a Behringer Feedback Destroyer (BFD) which is what many of us have done for subwoofer eq.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Audiophiliac
      • Apr 2006

What do you mean by "getting its butt kicked"? Is it too much or not enough in that frequency range?

Its a common problem actually. You might try walking back and forth in the room. You will hear dips and peaks in the response at all frequencies...especially low ones like below 500Hz. You can try moving your listening position and/or the speakers to try and tame any unwanted response anomalies. Or you can use electronics.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Between those frequencies, there is "not enough". Yea in the listening postion is where it gets all out of phase all that good fun stuff.
        Walked up to where the center channel is at 55hz or so and it was there, but as soon as I walked away from the speakers its became all quite and out of phase.
        Ive known there has been issues for some time now, and assumed it was below 70, but just never botherd checking.

I really cant move the listening position because of the small room, speakers, not so much, i can move them closer together thats about it.

Thanks for the suggestion of the BFD Chris I will have to look into it.
        Gonna have to make some acoustic panels here one of these days, ive really been putting that off.
        Last edited by Race Car Driver; 09 August 2006, 14:36 Wednesday.
        B&W

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

If the dip at 60hz frequency (+/-) is the major and singular problem at the seating position... you can also try overlapping your crossovers there
          Jason

Comment

• peterS
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
            I suppose so! You may want to look into using a Behringer Feedback Destroyer (BFD) which is what many of us have done for subwoofer eq.
            does it have boost or does it just cut
            Last edited by Chris D; 05 December 2016, 12:20 Monday.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

The BFD is a fully configurable component to equalize subwoofers, allowing both boost and cut. (although you want to shy away from boosting) There's lots of BFD info out there, including John Mulcahey, who has written a complete computer control program for it. Many of us use it.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"