X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avab
    • Mar 2006

Need Help Wiring My Basement

Hi gang,

I've embarked on the ambitious project of finishing my basement into a home theatre. The framing is almost up and the insulation is almost in. Now comes the all important part of wiring the basement.

I don't want to leave any wires missing so I'm coming to the experts for help. I have a that will be placed 13-14 feet away from the wall. The amp/receiver/DVD player will be placed in the back of the room on a metal rack (in the area under the staircase).

1) Other than speaker wiring and the obvious HDMI, DVI cabling, power source for the projector and the equipment - what else should I consider wiring in to the walls???

2) What innovative ideas do you have to keep the equipment rack cool since it will be under the staircase?

3) Anything else I am missing?

I will try to post some pictures as the development goes on...

Thanks so much for your advice and help!
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by avab
    Hi gang,

I've embarked on the ambitious project of finishing my basement into a home theatre. The framing is almost up and the insulation is almost in. Now comes the all important part of wiring the basement.

I don't want to leave any wires missing so I'm coming to the experts for help. I have a that will be placed 13-14 feet away from the wall. The amp/receiver/DVD player will be placed in the back of the room on a metal rack (in the area under the staircase).

1) Other than speaker wiring and the obvious HDMI, DVI cabling, power source for the projector and the equipment - what else should I consider wiring in to the walls???

2) What innovative ideas do you have to keep the equipment rack cool since it will be under the staircase?

3) Anything else I am missing?

I will try to post some pictures as the development goes on...

Thanks so much for your advice and help!
    One thing I see occasionally in posts is that someone forgot to run coax or another form of shielded cable for the line-level subwoofer signal. A few home runs of coax going from the equipment cabinet to a few points around the room never hurts and it's pretty cheap.

I'd also think about some Cat5 cabling just in case.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• badboyspack
      • May 2006

Any pics yet of the basement ?

What did you decide on doing about the wiring ?
      Tom
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Klipsch RF-7's mains
      Klipsch RC-7 center
      Klipsch RB-75's surrounds
      :heh:

Comment

• ToddAnisman
        • Apr 2005

CAT-5 Shielded. Has 1001 uses. you never have enough.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Agreed, there. I've used Cat 5e for lots of stuff in my current house and theater.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"