• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avab
    • Mar 2006

Best Place To Buy Wiring And Metal A/v Rack

Hello,

Forgot to ask one question for you DIYers,

Do you recommend any online retailers that provide good-priced wiring and cabling?

1) What resellers do you trust?
    2) What gauge speaker wiring is adequate? I am getting ready to wiring my basement - I'll have 2 fronts, a center, a sub, and 2 rears - is 14 gauge more than sufficient??

3) Where would you recommend buying a metal rack that I plan on putting into a wall cabinet?

Thanks!
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

it depends on the run length. I wouldn't use 14 gauge for over 50 ft.

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by avab
      Hello,

Forgot to ask one question for you DIYers,

Where would you recommend buying a metal rack that I plan on putting into a wall cabinet?

Thanks!
      SmartHome:

Parts Express:

Comment

• avab
        • Mar 2006

Standard wiring gauge?

I only need to run the wires about 15 feet - 20 feet tops. Is 16 or 18 gauge better suited for this?

Also - what about specific wiring for the subwoofer?? Any suggestions?? I've looked on Blue Jeans Cable but I'm not sure of the gauge or the quality of the cable necessary.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

No. Go with a 12-gauge run, 10-gauge if possible - at least for the mains and center channel. Our owner offers some good choices for sub-woofer cables at his CATCable site.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

I run 12 guage all around. The price difference was miniscule. I bought several long runs unterminated from a bulk seller.

Subwoofer: you can build one or buy one. If you build one you can use a quad shield RG6 with rca ends. This is fairly basic to make. If you don't want to make one, then Lex has a good one I hear.

In wall cabinet: Generally there is only 1 kind people recommend. They are Middle Atlantic. Mine is an open rack from studiotech. It's not designed for in wall though. It has hidable wiring channels and is very sturdy. I paid ~$300 shipped for it thru racksandstands.com. Those guys are awesome to deal with.

Comment

• avab
              • Mar 2006

Thanks for the advice.

I will definitely look into 12 gauge for the mains - do you recommend 12 for the subs as well???

Shane - thanks for the website. I am looking into a rack that will fit nicely into an inwall installation. I will look into Middle Atlantic and the website to see what I can find.

Thank you!

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

I will definitely look into 12 gauge for the mains - do you recommend 12 for the subs as well???
                The guage for a sub wire should not matter. Since it's limited bandwidth it's essentially an RCA cable which can be made of Quad Shield RG6 terminted with RCA ends. As I said it's easy to make but if you don't feel comfortable then Lex can make one at a cost for you.

If these cables run in wall, make sure they are cl3 in wall rated because if they are not in wall rated and there is a fire, they will tell you that your wires were at fault. It's a very easy out for the insurance company.

Comment

• avab
                  • Mar 2006

Hi Shane,

Kinda new to this. What does it mean to be CL3 rated if I run the cables in-wall (which I plan on doing)?

Thanks

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

In wall rated means they were meant to be placed in wall and won't cause a fire. If you don't use in wall rated which is labled cl3 then the insurance company in the event of a fire can blame it on the wiring in your walls.

I am not sure what is the difference between cl3 and non cl3 but I'd think it's related to the jacket that encloses the wire.

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

fire retardance of jacket is what it's all about, burn rates, and so on...
                      Doug
                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Jerm357
                        • Apr 2006

(post deleted by moderator) - welcome to HTGuide, jerm! Being new, you may not realize that this forum is owned and sponsored by a cable company, CAT Cables. Check them out, they're great!

Comment

• badboyspack
                          • May 2006

<<LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN>>

They have fair prices.
                          Tom
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Klipsch RF-7's mains
                          Klipsch RC-7 center
                          Klipsch RB-75's surrounds
                          :heh:

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"