X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stidrvr
    • Sep 2005

Couple Layout Questions

Well Im planning the layout of my dedicated theatre room in the basement. So far as it stands it will be 12w x 23dx 8h. The spot that I decided on offers me the max amount of size, without obstructions. Seating will probally be atleast for 4 people so most likely two couches. The rear couch being on a raised platform. I havent decided on screen size or projector yet. This is really the pre-design phase as I call it.

Now for the questions. I am some what affraid that the 12ft in width isnt going to be enough and feel "small". The reason I choose this width is that is offers me the greatest amount of width and depth because of the two I-beam supports that run the length of the basement. I thought about boxing in the I-beam and the support columns to gain an extra foot on each side of the room giving my 14ft in width. So basically the I-beam will become a soffit that runs the length of the room. Is this a good idea? Will this create unwanted reflections?

Next question. At the end of the room, screen end, there are some drain pipes coming through from upstairs. So I thought that I could slope the ceiling from that point to the wall, instead of creating a dropped ceiling to hide the pipes from protruding. Is this a good idea? Like This
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hey, your dimensions of 12x23x8 are almost exactly the dimensions of my theater, which I have made work VERY successfully. (you can read my various threads here in this sub-forum)

That being said, width is ALWAYS ALWAYS a good thing. I would say for you, YES, make the soffit and go for the extra width.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Oh, as for the pipes, sure, what you propose will work great. Just realize that if you put your screen flush on the front wall, it will have to be lower due to the slope. Make sure this doesn't create visibility problems for you, especially the 2nd row of seats.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• stidrvr
        • Sep 2005

especially the 2nd row of seats.
        You know that was something that I didnt think of. The other problem with the room extending all the way to that wall (the screen wall) is that the service panel is on that wall. The idea of leaving 3ft after the room for service panel access has crossed my mind then I wouldnt have to slope the ceiling for the plumbing weither. The only real issue with that is that I starting to get a little closer to the stairs.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I agree, do the soffit, not only might it actually aid in diffusing sound a bit but it will also allow for possibilities of nice indirect lighting accents etc :T

I'd likely be tempted to do a soffit at the front around the plumbing as well rather than the angle. It would likely cause less of thw problem mentioned above as well as possibly offering a location for a drop down screen and/or curtains, wiring etc and could tie in nicely with the other soffiting you mentioned
          Jason

Comment

• DelRay
            • Jun 2004

If you are going to make a soffit, what would be the max height of the screen? I have the top of my 92" screen at 76". Seems to work great with the second row of seating on a 8" riser. Any higher and my feet would be in the way when fully reclined.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Can you "turn the room around" (i.e., change your proposed layout of the room) so the covered pipes are at what would then be the rear wall instead of the front of the theater?

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• stidrvr
                • Sep 2005

As far as screen size that is still undecided as I havent even nailed down what projector Im going with so far its going to be the 4805 so that I can allocate money for other things involved, then upgrade later on down the road. Im using this time to get the overall room size nailed down and explore my other options before I bust out the hammerdrill!

I have thought about turning the room around, but the only problem with that is that right now, the entrance will be at the rear of the room. Which is at the bottom, or "landing", of the stairs in to the basement. So this would requiring less finishing work ei.. hallway etc. Here are some pics of my open basement:

Pictures

I went to my home center and bought a whole bunch of 6x8 tarps so that I could visualize the layout since I had nothing to gauge the room size by. In the fourth picture you can see what would become the hallway if I turned the room layout around and put the door in the rear. Here are the pictures of the proposed layout:

Pictures 2

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"