X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

PreWiring? Antenna?

I have my speaker and sub wires run, just making sure I am not missing anything. Is there a good in-wall antenna to run, or wiring I could run for future use to an antenna in the attic? Suggestions? Also, anything else you can think of? My insulation goes in Tuesday, sheetrock soon to follow. I have security run, some extra speaker wires in wall for surround in family room if I ever want, including sub wire, speaker wire to many rooms for multizone audio. Thanks for any input.
    Roly
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Roly, sounds fairly thought out. I would run TWO coax wires from the attic/roof area to each major room in the house. One for an antenna, one for satellite TV should you have it installed up there.

You may or may not want to thing about a Cat 5e/6 wiring for a computer network. More reliable and secure than wireless, although not as convenient, obviously.

Consider running multiple coax cables from your main theater or A/V area to smaller runs for A/V distribution, not just auxiliary speakers. For example, I ran cables so that my bedroom A/V receiver can output audio and video through the walls to the 2nd zone in the master bathroom for watching movies in the bathtub and such.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Uncle Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

Rolyasm, Please excuse me if there's an oversight, is the "Antenna" you're refering to is for am/fm or Television?

Sorry if I missed it ops:
      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Well, I was referring to television, but why not make it both? No reason why one big antenna can't work for both things.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Rolyasm
          • Dec 2004

Yes, I was thinking for am/fm radio, but I plan to use satelite for TV. I am running data cat5 to all rooms for networking, along with phone line and coaxial, all terminating in my furnace room. Can the satelite people use a central location, like my furnace room, as a point to spit the signals? I was making the furnace room the central location for everything. So do I also need to run from attic to all rooms for satelite? Wow, lots of wire.
          Roly

Comment

• Snap
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2005

How many TV's do you want to be watching at the same time? IE you watch sports and your wife is watching something else in a different room?
            The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Well, if you're going to use a central electronic distribution room (which I HIGHLY recommend if you can manage it) then just send phone, TV/radio antenna, satellite TV, cable TV, security, computer network, and speakers cables to/from the central room and then distribute from there to each room. So the central room is where you'll place your distribution boxes, router, audio/video splitters, etc for each component. If you want a real cool, clean install, then place your actual A/V equipment in the central closet, too, and then distribute all outputs from there, controlled by IR remotely.

(on that note, you may want to consider running an extra couple of Cat 5e cables to each room for future uses, like IR controls and such. Cable's cheap, and small enough that it doesn't have any negative consequences)

The best general approach to take is that if even SUSPECT that you might have a need for a cable of any type between two rooms in the future, run it now. Unused low voltage cable is hardly a waste and is no danger. Then if you ever need the connection, just slap the appropriate plug terminals on and it's ready to go. You'll save so much work and trouble. You may think it's a lot of cabling now, and it may look complicated and messy, but once the drywall's up it's the cleanest, best-looking, functional thing around. You'll thank me later.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Snap
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2005

:agree:
                The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Rolyasm
                  • Dec 2004

Wow, lot of cable. Here is what I have run so far. From the central hub, my furnace room, I have run to each room 4 cables: (2) coaxial, (1)Cat 5, (1) Cat 6. They will be connected to one box in each and every room. I also have billions of speaker wire throughout just in case I want to place my TV on a different wall and need a different surround orientation. Security is already run also. What is the difference between satellite and cable TV cables? Do I need to run 2, because I won't have cable And Satelite, only one or the other. Anything else you think I need. I will run some more coaxail for future IR.
                  Roly

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                    Former Moderator
                    • Jan 2002

Well the satelite people will use a multi-plexer (sp) for distirbution to the different rooms, dual receivers etc.

If you're not gonna go with both Sat and regular cable you don't need to run two lines. However, I would run two lines to a den and to the home theater room (Just in case)

RG6 coaxial is good for both.
                    CLIVE

Comment

• DelRay
                      • Jun 2004

I would suggest running RG-6 for your AM/FM duties. When I first built my HT room I used regular antenna wire. It went from the antenna in the attic to the basement. After buying a new tuner and not getting the reception I was hoping for, I decided to trade out the old wire for some RG-6. It was a pain in the butt to reroute, but well worth it. It seems that I can lock on to more stations.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

The reason I suggest both cable and satellite, is future-proofing, both for yourself and other people you may sell your house to. For example, I started with satellite TV here in the house. I entertained going for cable TV. I ended up staying with satellite, but had to go with cable modem for internet, so I'm glad my house was pre-wired for cable when I built it too. Who knows what the future's going to bring, too. Wiring for just one thing will lock you into that thing without options for changing or upgrading.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Rolyasm
                          • Dec 2004

Well, insulation is in. I think I am finished wiring. Here was the final product. (1)Cat 6, (1) Cat 5, and (2) RG6u to every room in the house. I also ran speaker wire for surround in both family rooms, and of course HT room. AM/FM coax to both family rooms, HT room and Masterbed. (2) speaker wires, in ceiling to everyroom for multizone stereo music to each room. (3) extra RG6 and (2) extra Cat 6 to HT room, just in case... and to different areas of the room. Never know where I will want to network the x-box! I hope that will be enough. I also ran so infrared-type wire to a few rooms for receiver control, etc.. I have a few more days before they sheetrock if you can think of anything I missed. Thanks
                          Roly

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                            Former Moderator
                            • Jan 2002

Music outside? backyard? Speaker wires maybe? Plasma on the back deck Eh?
                            CLIVE

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"