X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Cathedral ceilings: good or bad for HT?

While talking to a builder last night with ideas for rebuilding our house, the topic of cathedral ceilings in the family/HT room came up. I was wondering if, compared to a flat ceiling, rectangular room, going cathedral would be better or worse for acoustics (imaging, bass management, nulls etc.)

In other threads I read that a square or rectangular "box" isn't the best room configuration, and cathedral isn't either. So which is better I have to ask.

The room is 20x14 (I think, it could be 20x13 or 20x12, I have to check). Originally it had a 7' ceiling with acoustic tile. Since the roof has to be replaced anyway, we'll be raising the ceiling in the room to a more normal height, or going cathedral. If we go cathedral, it would peak in the middle of the room parallel to the wall where the screen and main speakers would go. We won't go overboard with windows, and will put room darkening blinds/drapes on them since we'll want to make the room dark for a CRT front projection setup. We might consider acoustic tile on the ceiling again since it seemed to help with the acoustics in the old room.

Any thoughts?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Kev, being a computer whiz you REALLY need to look at CARA (Computer Aided Room Acoustics). Basically it's an application wherein you build your room - in detail, your furniture, and your speakers - in detail, and then it models the sonic patterns. You can move the walls, ceiling, furniture and speakers around and try again. Do it until you get the response you want. Sloped ceilings are accepted. It's inexpensive and well worth the effort.

Andrew's familiar with it also.

P.S. That's a long-winded way of answering your questions with an "I'm not sure". :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• basementjack
      • Dec 2004

Hey Guys,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm really interested in any modeling/measuring/advice around room acoustics.

If you can direct me to some posts that would be great!

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Well from the limited amount I know, cathedral ceilings are not preferred. When's the last time you saw a theatre with a cathedral cieling anyways...? I'm sure you can do things to make one work better but I'd be willing to bet flat or possibly sloped (to reduce parallel surfaces) would be preferred. In fact, you may want to investigate having the ceiling sloped if possible rather than flat or cathedral if it's doable in the space...? Slighly angled in walls towards the screen and ceiling angled down towards the screen may just give you the best results...?

I'm such a nerd...I'm drawing you something in CAD :lol: :roll:
        Jason

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Ok CAD nerd coming through :lol:

So basically you could do something like what I've posted in my pretty litte pictures here. I didn't bother drawing the dormer roof over the extended front portion as it would have just cluttered the drawing more and I have other things to do you know!! :lol: They'd likely have to build the exterior side wall straight in reality and just build a "false" angled wall inside but you get the idea (Good place for them to run extraneous plumbing, HVAC, electrical etc ) I threw a window in the front there as well. My thoughts were that you could have black out drapes and the screen come down in front of the window if you were watching something... totally just conceptual Then the room behind the theatre with the short ceiling on one side, I figured would be perfect for your gear and maybe a computer room/office or something. (That would also allow easy access to connect your PC to the HT too :T ) The dashed green line shows where the room would be if it were straight and the 10' back ceiling height didn't reduce to 8'. Of course I have no idea of dimensions etc so I don't know how much if any of that will work but that's my thoughts on it anyways... :B

Attached Files
          Last edited by aud19; 20 February 2005, 14:04 Sunday.
          Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I'd guess off hand that a sloped ceiling would be better then a flat perfect cube or rectangle as its one less // surface...but it increases volume so you'll have more space to fill and that upper peak might be an issue and it would be hard to tame.

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Well, I live with a cathedral ceiling, and while I am not a "numbers" HT person that much. I don't run around the room with meters and protractors. (First, I don't have time, second, I'm not sure I would if I did)

I set my system with a sound meter and live with it. Could it be optimized further? Perhaps. But then other things are not ideal, like distance to rear speakers. It's all about compromise, visual, and asthetic. Each person has to make their own choices.

I will say, keep in mind resale. While you could see doing a room off kilter to assist in audio sound, a prospective buyer may see it as just a weirdity and it could nix a future sale...

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"