So you have spent big bucks on gear what about the room?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brendon
    • Aug 2004

So you have spent big bucks on gear what about the room?

I have just been reading the "Whats better?" thread in AV chalet and also looking at the Rives Audio resource page on room acustics and was wandering what guys like Bam who have spent serious money on components ,interconects etc had done to improve room acustics etc as part of their ongoing search for audio nirvana?
    As my budjet for my system will be minute compared to some of the enthusists on this site I am looking to give as little performance away as possible to room acustics etc.
    Brendon
    Probably should be in "spaced out " please feel free to move!
  • DelRay
    • Jun 2004

Brendon, My ht room has been a work in progress for a few years. The room itself was finished a long time ago. The gear comes and go's. But the one thing that stays the same was the room itself. So I decided to make it sound as good as my budget would allow, with the help of acoustic panels. I don't have much invested, but the rewards are great. Because its a dedicated ht room I didn't want book shelves and other stuff like that in the room. (MY own personal tastes). Most of the panels are the same size so I can switch reflective ones with absorptive ones. It does change the sound. I also used them to make the room look more pleasant.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Yup, building my room, which I'm showing in Home Theater Builder Magazine, step-by-step. Pretty close to full completion.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by brendon
        I have just been reading the "Whats better?" thread in AV chalet and also looking at the Rives Audio resource page on room acustics and was wandering what guys like Bam who have spent serious money on components ,interconects etc had done to improve room acustics etc as part of their ongoing search for audio nirvana?
        As my budjet for my system will be minute compared to some of the enthusists on this site I am looking to give as little performance away as possible to room acustics etc.
        Brendon
        Probably should be in "spaced out " please feel free to move!
        Well....great question....and acoustics are very important!

For me....very little right now....but the house is for sale and a dedicated and treated sound room will be in the works!
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• brendon
          • Aug 2004

Hi Bam ,Chris and Delray thanks for the replies,
          Bam ,I bet you are looking forward to starting from scratch and doing it with few compromises .
          I have a small 4.3 m Sq fully enclosed room and carpeted with one window behind listening couch (awaiting delivery of leather 2.5 seater with 2 recliners.) and will put heavy block out curtains over window and rear wall .

I read on the Rives Audio site that a book case makes an acceptable diffuser so I will put one on one side of the room as I need storage for media anyway.I think my biggest problems will be not being able to get speakers far enough apart and on one side the front speaker will be too close to a corner.

The other problem I have is that the couch will be hard against rear wall making rear speaker placement for good imaging difficult .My local B&W dealer suggested in ceiling speakers but I have serious reservations about sound quality and had already put provision in walls whilst building (conduits and wall plates) so will consider dipoles or just use convention bookself speakers on wall brackets.
          Other tweaks will come after I actually have a HT system in place !
          I have attached a few images of the current state of my "mini home theater"
          Brendon
          Attached Files

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Hi....I am fortunate enough to have audiophile buddies who have a lot of experience....and some of them dop acoustics on the side for a living...

...my first thing would be to have a room that is very "live"...so I will diffuse a lot....

Book case on the rear wall.....Excellent....it is as good as a Schroeder panel....
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"