X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeteG
    • Aug 2000

Pronto for Dummies?!?

It's been a very long time since I've visited here - so please bear with me - I had to brush off the cobwebs in my head to remember this site, but I knew this is the place I would get answers!

I am looking for (if it exists) an easy "how to" guide on programming a Pronto. I have an original Pronto and have downloaded a few ccf's from remotecentral to use the basics - but now I'm ready to really dig in and optimize it.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Pete
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Unfortunatly no such hand holding document exists that I'm aware of. The closest I know of is the wonderful FAQ here but even that won't be really what you're looking for. The best advice I can give you is to download as many CCF's as you can and dig around them in the pronto edit software to get a feel for what the owner has done with his. On that note though i've seen some really bad files on RemoteCentral's site so don't always assume the owner knew what he was doing Likely the easiest way to get started would be to download my Gallery file from my website and with that installed build your device panels using the tabs etc. Once you have the GUI built then add in the IR codes either by learning them in or by using an alias from the buttons to a codes panel. Let me know if I can help in any way I've been programming these for several years now.
    Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 12:53 Tuesday. Reason: Update text

Comment

• PeteG
      • Aug 2000

Andrew - thanks for the quick response. I figured I wouldn't be so lucky!! I have checked out the FAQ on remotecentral and it's been somewhat useful, but not really what I was looking for. You are right about some pretty poor ccf's out there - I've downloaded a few and been amazed at how people use their remotes.

Truth is I am just now getting the time to sit down and really start to program the Pronto. I took the lazy man's approach of downloading a few ccf's with my components and loading onto the pronto to have one controller, however I find now that it's much more frustrating to use this way!! I also have upgraded a few components, so now I want to really program it right with macros and all.

As a software developer I shouldn't have too hard of a time - right? Or will that work against me as I am already jaded I am sure I will have a bunch of questions - thanks for the offer to field the basic (and probably annoying) ones.

Thanks again - this is a great forum and I hope to be posting more often!!

Pete

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Pete you should be fine with if if you're a programmer. Remember that Pronto Edit wasn't ever intended for the general public...it was designed for custom installer types that are used to working with these types of programs (Crestron for example)
        Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 12:54 Tuesday. Reason: Update text

Comment

• I'mListening
          • Jul 2003

You may want to download the PRONTOEDIT manual, if you have not already. I must have scoured that 80+ page book three dozen times before it all started making sense. Now it is a breeze to work with. Try www.prontoedit.com and Philips website, as well, for a download version of the manual. I am VERY computer iliterate... So you should have it easy! :LOL:

Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren
          Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren

Comment

• Harl
            • Jul 2002

Pronto user guide

Have you checked out prontowizard.com. I think that is what it was called. I ordered the manual, I think by Dave D'Arche? It was SUPER helpful. I was using it with a TSU7000 and prontoedit NG software. It says its suited to older versions as well. Fantastic tool to get you going quickly. Good Luck!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I'll have to check that out. Personally if I never have to work with the NG software again I'll be a very happy man

Comment

• Harl
                • Jul 2002

Andrew,
                I thought NG was much better to work with than PE4. I have had a pronto 1000, 2000, 6000 and 7000. The ProntoWizard guide was very helpful in getting me up to speed w. my 7000 (first experience w. NG). My 7000 died about 2wks after I had it fully programmed and tweaked, so I dumped it and got the URC MX3000. This remote ROCKS! The MXeditor software blows away PE in many ways, much more user friendly, and the remote has much better ergonomics (IMO). Have you seen it?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Yes I've seen it and the software is still to buggy for my liking...as a very long time PE user I'm constantly frustrated with NG's lack of functions and it isn't as stable as PE is...at least on my two PC's. The 7000 has a lot of potential as a remote but there's a lot of us pronto programmers that are recomending out clients stick with the proven 6000's for now.

Comment

• Joseki
                    • Sep 2003

Here is the model that I have followed for two different Prontos.
                    1. Search through the ccf files until you find a GUI that you like (You are looking for button styles and paradigms). Download that ccf.
                    2. Download ccf's for each of your components, regardless of the GUI. These will be source pages with the IR codes already set. All of these pages will be set to 'no display' when you are done.
                    3. Design your app. Work from a home page, concentrating on how the least competent person will use the remote.
                    4. Create all of your pages by copying buttons, frames, GIF's and other elements from the ccf in Step 1.
                    5. Use the alias feature for your new buttons to access the IR's from your hidden 'source' pages.
                    6. Test. swear. fix. (Repeat for quite a while)

One really important tip that I can offer involves 'learrning' codes. There will come a time during the programming when you realize that you need a code from a remote that your 'source' ccf's do not contain. This forces you to learn from your original remote. This introduces a versioning problem. As soon as you learn a code using the Pronto, then the Pronto becomes the current version. You must then download the ccf back into your pc to do any more ProntoEdit work. Failure to remember which device has the current version will create frustration and much more swearing.

Another tip: Beer drinking, however pleasurable, has a deleterious effect on your Pronto programming. Trust me on this one. I have tried it numerous times!

David

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Yup that's more or less what I do. Although for me I created templates that I've uploaded into the gallery.ccf file so that i don't need to access other CCF files to get the GUI I want.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"